One of the best investments we can make is in our own knowledge and skill set. With that in mind, this article will work through how we can use Return On Equity (ROE) to better understand a business. To keep the lesson grounded in practicality, we'll use ROE to better understand EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP).
Over the last twelve months EDAP TMS has recorded a ROE of 14%. That means that for every $1 worth of shareholders' equity, it generated $0.14 in profit.
See our latest analysis for EDAP TMS
The formula for return on equity is:
Return on Equity = Net Profit (from continuing operations) Shareholders' Equity
Or for EDAP TMS:
14% = 3.5m 25m (Based on the trailing twelve months to September 2019.)
Most know that net profit is the total earnings after all expenses, but the concept of shareholders' equity is a little more complicated. It is all the money paid into the company from shareholders, plus any earnings retained. The easiest way to calculate shareholders' equity is to subtract the company's total liabilities from the total assets.
ROE looks at the amount a company earns relative to the money it has kept within the business. The 'return' is the amount earned after tax over the last twelve months. A higher profit will lead to a higher ROE. So, all else equal, investors should like a high ROE. That means ROE can be used to compare two businesses.
By comparing a company's ROE with its industry average, we can get a quick measure of how good it is. However, this method is only useful as a rough check, because companies do differ quite a bit within the same industry classification. Pleasingly, EDAP TMS has a superior ROE than the average (11%) company in the Medical Equipment industry.
NasdaqGM:EDAP Past Revenue and Net Income March 30th 2020
That's clearly a positive. I usually take a closer look when a company has a better ROE than industry peers. For example you might check if insiders are buying shares.
Most companies need money -- from somewhere -- to grow their profits. That cash can come from retained earnings, issuing new shares (equity), or debt. In the case of the first and second options, the ROE will reflect this use of cash, for growth. In the latter case, the debt used for growth will improve returns, but won't affect the total equity. Thus the use of debt can improve ROE, albeit along with extra risk in the case of stormy weather, metaphorically speaking.
EDAP TMS has a debt to equity ratio of 0.22, which is far from excessive. The fact that it achieved a fairly good ROE with only modest debt suggests the business might be worth putting on your watchlist. Conservative use of debt to boost returns is usually a good move for shareholders, though it does leave the company more exposed to interest rate rises.
Return on equity is one way we can compare the business quality of different companies. A company that can achieve a high return on equity without debt could be considered a high quality business. All else being equal, a higher ROE is better.
Having said that, while ROE is a useful indicator of business quality, you'll have to look at a whole range of factors to determine the right price to buy a stock. The rate at which profits are likely to grow, relative to the expectations of profit growth reflected in the current price, must be considered, too. So you might want to take a peek at this data-rich interactive graph of forecasts for the company.
If you would prefer check out another company -- one with potentially superior financials -- then do not miss this free list of interesting companies, that have HIGH return on equity and low debt.
If you spot an error that warrants correction, please contact the editor at firstname.lastname@example.org. This article by Simply Wall St is general in nature. It does not constitute a recommendation to buy or sell any stock, and does not take account of your objectives, or your financial situation. Simply Wall St has no position in the stocks mentioned.
We aim to bring you long-term focused research analysis driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis may not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements or qualitative material. Thank you for reading.
The rest is here:
- For those in Salem with depression, new clinic provides another resource for treatment - Salem Reporter - July 25th, 2020
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trend and Forecast to 2025 - Red & Black... - July 25th, 2020
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Times and Democrat - July 25th, 2020
- Your Healthy Family: Getting help with the stress of uncertainty during a pandemic - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - July 25th, 2020
- Mauritius club fined for not doing the TMS paperwork - Inside World Football - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fifa gives Safa the power to extend the 2019-20 PSL season - Yahoo Sports - July 25th, 2020
- Neurostimulation may herald a new treatment for depression - The Conversation CA - July 25th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020 Industry Research Manufacturer Landscape, Revenue and Volume Analysis and Segment... - July 25th, 2020
- Racin' Today Dillon Answers 'Haters' With Victory In Texas - RacinToday.com - July 25th, 2020
- Live TMS Treatment from NeuroSpa TMS - WFLA - July 15th, 2020
- Strategy Systems Expands Integration with Trucker Tools, adds Book It Now to TMS Platform - DC Velocity - July 15th, 2020
- ARL Logistics Taps Trucker Tools for Smart Capacity Predictive Freight-Matching, Automated One-Click Load Booking with Book It Now - PR Web - July 15th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management System (TMS) Market 2020: Size, Share, Revenue, Growth, Supply, Top Companies and Forecast Research 2025 - Sports... - July 15th, 2020
- Coupa acquires BELLIN, targeting treasury management (Part 2: TMS Market, Competitors and TAM / Market-Sizing Considerations) - Spend Matters - June 24th, 2020
- Archerhub Launches ALVUS TMS to help Carrier Partners Grow their Businesses - DC Velocity - June 24th, 2020
- Axele TMS allows small, midsize FTL carriers to improve load planning and communications, increase profit - The Trucker - June 24th, 2020
- IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON Talent Management Systems (TMS) RESEARCH, GROWTH TRENDS AND COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS 2020-2026 - Jewish Life News - June 24th, 2020
- Addressing the potential impact of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on TMS Neuronavigation Systems Market: Industry Size, Trends and Analysis - Jewish... - June 24th, 2020
- Toll Management System(TMS) Market Overview, Environmental Analysis and Forecas - News by aeresearch - June 24th, 2020
- Interview: Steve Guttenberg on Into the Dark's Good Boy, Home for the Holidays, and His Craft - The Mary Sue - June 24th, 2020
- Active Recovery TMS Treats Depression Without Medication - KATU - June 1st, 2020
- TMS focuses on digitalisation and business transformation in third Covid-19 Webinar - Latest Maritime & Shipping News Online - The Maritime... - June 1st, 2020
- TMS ends the year, honors students with virtual award ceremony - thechronicle-news.com - June 1st, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Outbreak on Treasury Management System (TMS) Market 2020 Trends, Growth Opportunities, Demand, Application, Top Companies and... - June 1st, 2020
- IndyCar drivers prepare to enter a 'new world' of racing when the season resumes June 6 at Texas Motor Speedway - The Dallas Morning News - June 1st, 2020
- Work begins on Hong Kong rail extension - The Construction Index - June 1st, 2020
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Along With Covid-19 Impact Analysis and Industry Outlook 2020-2026 by Magstim , MagVenture ,... - June 1st, 2020
- Alpega's Freight Exchange, Teleroute, launches an API interface and a new mobile App to help their increasing number of customers work even more... - June 1st, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market Recent Trends and Developments, Challenges and Opportunities, key drivers and Restraints over the... - May 24th, 2020
- Hilton TMs Save Life of Guest Suffering Heart Attack - Franchising.com - May 24th, 2020
- UltraShipTMS Partners with LeanSwift to Deliver TMS Solutions to Shippers Using Infor M3 ERP - PR Web - May 24th, 2020
- COVID-19: Responding to the business impacts of Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020: Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends,... - May 24th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Talent Management Software (TMS) Market Rising Trends and Global Outlook (2020 To 2027) - Latest Herald - May 4th, 2020
- From the First Message to the Last Mile, BluJay's Latest Software Releases Improve Complex Logistics - DC Velocity - May 4th, 2020
- GlobalTranz Recognized as Top Ten Freight Brokerage for a Third Consecutive Year by Transport Topics - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2020
- Texas Motor Speedway is hosting high school graduations for the class of 2020 - CNN - May 4th, 2020
- Texas Motor Speedway to host HS graduation ceremonies - RACER - May 4th, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Size by Top Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Outlook and Forecasts to 2026 - Latest... - May 4th, 2020
- These Analysts Think Greenbrook TMS Inc.s (TSE:GTMS) Sales Are Under Threat - Simply Wall St - May 4th, 2020
- Pokmon GOs Elite TMs Arrive And Shake Up The Meta Movesets - TheGamer - May 4th, 2020
- Powerful Optimization Tool from MercuryGate Uniquely Supports the Transportation Industrys Demand to Drive a Disrupted Supply Chain - Yahoo Finance - April 11th, 2020
- Powerful Optimization Tool from MercuryGate Uniquely Supports the Transportation Industry's Demand to Drive a Disrupted Supply Chain - Business Wire - April 9th, 2020
- Alpega TMS Brings Together the Expertise of inet and Transwide - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2020
- The Remedy Is Now Offering Deep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (Deep TMS) Therapy to Treat Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) and Obsessive-Compulsive... - April 9th, 2020
- Time To Worry? One Analyst Just Downgraded Their EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP) Outlook - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2020
- Valiant latest Canadian supplier to add to arsenal of health, free of charge - Automotive News Canada - April 9th, 2020
- No interest in Texas IndyCar race without fans - The Union Journal - April 9th, 2020
- EKA Solutions Announces TMS Offer for Brokers to Operate their Business Entirely Remotely - The Herald Journal - March 31st, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce Fourth Quarter and Year Ended December 31, 2019 Financial Results on Monday, March 30, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2020
- Jeremy Hudson Named to the 2020 Food Logistics Champions: Rock Stars of the Supply Chain - Benzinga - March 31st, 2020
- Production Team TMS on the Unlikely Success of 'Someone You Loved' - Billboard - March 24th, 2020
- BrainsWay Reports Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2019 Financial Results and Operational Highlights - Yahoo Finance - March 24th, 2020
- VIDEO: What is TMS-65U? Soviet-era MiG-15 fighter jet engine powered special vehicle deployed by Russia to battle coronavirus in Italy - International... - March 24th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of BRIN.TA earnings conference call or presentation 23-Mar-20 12:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - March 24th, 2020
- A Drive To Investigate: Full Genesect Special Research Tasks, Steps And Rewards In Pokmon GO - Forbes - March 24th, 2020
- The Transportation Management System (TMS) MARKET is expected to grow by USD 1.62 bn during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of 9% during the forecast... - March 5th, 2020
- GO Battle League Season 1: Everything You Need to Know - Pokemon GO Hub - March 5th, 2020
- Pokemon Go Elite TMs and How to Get the Best Use out of Them - Future Game Releases - March 5th, 2020
- Massive growth of Preservation TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2025 with high CAGR In Coming Years with Focusing Key players like... - March 5th, 2020
- Lindsay Luetje goes above and beyond as Telstar dean - Lewiston Sun Journal - March 5th, 2020
- What Is A Game Localization System And What Can It Do For You? [Part 1] - Gamasutra - March 5th, 2020
- BrainsWay to Participate in Upcoming Investor Conferences - Yahoo Finance - March 5th, 2020
- Make Your Workflow Smooth and Effective! This New System is the Key - Slator - February 29th, 2020
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil to Reap Excessive Revenues by 2019-2025 - Jewish Life News - February 29th, 2020
- San Francisco Bay Area Psychiatric Acquisition Will Increase Access to Advanced Care - Benzinga - February 29th, 2020
- Clean Energy appoints Total S.A. executive to board of directors - LNG Industry - February 29th, 2020
- Before You Buy EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP), Consider Its Volatility - Simply Wall St - February 29th, 2020
- Troy 30-C coach named 2020 Distinguished Middle School Coach of the Year - The Herald-News - February 29th, 2020
- Global Truckmount Carpet Cleaner Market Size Is Anticipated To Witness Over XX% CAGR Up To 2024 TMS Cleaning Supplies & Equipment, Aero Tech... - February 29th, 2020
- TMS individual race tickets officially on sale - Speedway Digest - January 18th, 2020
- MGR songs stay fresh even today thanks to TMS - News Today - January 18th, 2020
- Global Supply Chain Management Software Market 2020-2024 | 11% CAGR Projection Over the Next Five Years | Technavio - Yahoo Finance - January 18th, 2020
- The Masked Singers Davina McCall Reveals Upcoming Surprises On The Show! [VIDEO] - Talent Recap - January 18th, 2020
- The Morning Show and life after #MeToo - The Hindu - January 18th, 2020
- Trimble to Acquire Kuebix in effort to create a transportation logistics ecosystem - The Trucker - January 18th, 2020
- Psychiatrist to shutter outpatient practice - The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel - December 13th, 2019
- Toys for Tots Greenbrook TMS Therapy Black Cat 2 1 - Connecting Vets - December 13th, 2019
- Transformer Monitoring Systems Market Analysis of Market Future Trends and Technological Improvements 2024 - The Market Expedition - December 13th, 2019
- When Should You Buy EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP)? - Simply Wall St - December 13th, 2019
- How junk food shapes the developing teenage brain - The Conversation CA - December 13th, 2019