Ralph Bristol, Guest columnist Published 12:00 p.m. CT March 2, 2021
Former President Trump speaks to a crowd at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Florida, promises not to start a new political party. USA TODAY
Trump allies like Lindsey Graham say Donald Trump is still the future of the Republican Party. Democrats hope that's right.
In 2020, former President Donald Trump was involuntarily inducted into the least envied of all former presidents clubs.
Trump is one of nine U.S. presidents to seek and fail to get a second term. Twenty-one Presidents won election to a second term. Others didnt seek a second term for various reasons, including death.
The other eight members of the club are John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Martin Van Buren, Franklin Pierce, Benjamin Harrison, William Howard Taft, Herbert Hoover, Jimmy Carter and George H. W. Bush.
You cant judge Trumps presidency or his potential to continue to lead the GOP solely by his membership in that least envied of all political clubs. For that, you must examine other evidence.
Former President Donald Trump at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) on Feb. 28, 2021, in Orlando, Florida.(Photo: John Raoux/AP)
Three 20th-century Republican presidents were involuntary inductees. Trump is the first in the 21st Century.
In the 20th century, William Howard Taft was felled by a split in the Republican Party when his predecessor, Theodore Roosevelt, broke with the GOP and ran on a third-party ticket, paving the way for Democrat Woodrow Wilsons victory.
Herbert Hoover was seven months into his administration when the stock market crashed and the Great Depression began. His loss gave us Franklin D. Roosevelt, the only president to serve more than two terms, who presided over both the Great Depression and World War II.
George H.W. Bush took hits from both a strong third-party candidate, Ross Perot, and the 1992 recession. He also suffered self-inflicted wounds by reneging on a now infamous read my lips promise not to raise taxes. Democrat Bill Clinton collected the spoils, which included some of the most irresponsible Oval Office behavior of any U.S. president, but also one of the most robust and sustained market rebounds in history and, coupled with spending restrained by a Republican congress, the last responsible, balanced budget the U.S. will likely ever see.
Former president Donald Trump speaks at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) Sunday, Feb. 28, 2021, in Orlando, Fla. (AP Photo/John Raoux)(Photo: John Raoux, AP)
Trump won the presidency at the end of the so-called Great Recession after modest growth had returned and the largest deficit in history to that point, $1.4 trillion under President Barack Obama, had dropped to $700 billion, still outrageous but trending in the right direction. The country had practically forgotten the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that dominated the eight years of the George W. Bush administration and still plagued the eight years of the Obama administration. Trump inherited and reined over a period of relative peace and prosperity. His reelection jeopardy was two-fold.
The first was self-imposed. Trump made a lot of domestic enemies in high and low places with the way he conducted political business. He constantly and publicly fought with people almost indiscriminately, in both parties, in business, in the media, in the street, berating and punishing anyone who crossed him and many who didnt.
Hear more Tennessee Voices:Get the weekly opinion newsletter for insightful and thought provoking columns.
Since he occupied the most powerful office in the world, he could and did command a lot of fear, but not nearly as much respect. That works up to a point, until the privacy of the ballot box unveils a previously undetected vein of opposition.
Trumps self-imposed problem was joined by the challenge to manage a deadly coronavirus pandemic in a way that would save the most lives without wrecking the economy, a challenge that presented itself nine months before the election. Trump cant be blamed for COVID-19 or for all of the government decisions that made it worse, but the buck stops with the president, especially in an election year.
The virus and government reaction on all levels to it permanently destroyed millions of businesses and jobs, despite Trump and Congress trying to save them with a federal government spending spree that knows no historic equal, and people continued to die by the thousands every day.
For reasons having nothing to do with alleged election fraud, Trump lost the 2020 election by a margin he described as a landslide when he defeated Hillary Clinton in 2016.
Ralph Bristol(Photo: Submitted)
Fourmonths after the election, Republicans are still circling the wagons around Trump. Most House and Senate Republicans voted to protect him from impeachment charges that he incited the Jan. 6 riot and "insurrection" at the Capitol. State Republican parties in Louisiana, North Carolina,, Pennsylvania, Alaska and Nebraska censured their U.S. senators who voted to convict Trump of the impeachment charges. Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina insisted after the Senate vote that the path to future Republican victories is Trump plus.
The next two election cycles should reveal whether Graham is right that the newest inductee into the infamous club, who lost the entire government to Democrats, will continue to lead the GOP. Democrats insist they hope Graham is right, as do Independents and third party candidates eager to challenge both parties in the next two election cycles.
More likely, most Republicans are simply stuck in the first stage of grief denial but will advance to bargaining by the midterm elections and will be ready for acceptance and eager to put Trump in the rear view mirror well before the next presidential election.
Ralph Bristol is a retired conservative broadcaster living in Nashville.
View original post here:
- Donald Trump, Facing $590 Million in Debt Payments, Gets ... - May 4th, 2021
- Ted Cruz and Donald Trump Jr. mocked a new CIA recruitment ad in which a staffer identified as a millennial with anxiety - Yahoo News - May 4th, 2021
- Trump launches 'From the desk of Donald J. Trump' as potential Facebook ban looms - USA TODAY - May 4th, 2021
- Opinion | Tucker Carlson Is the New Donald Trump - The New York Times - May 4th, 2021
- Donald Trump relocating to New Jersey to jumpstart ... - April 29th, 2021
- Trumps Battle to Win the First 100 Days - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump makes late push for Susan Wright in special election to fill her late husband's U.S. House seat - The Texas Tribune - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Seizes On Low Oscars Ratings To Bash Telecast: Dont Be So Politically Correct And Boring - Deadline - April 29th, 2021
- Trump allies fear his 2024 indecision is blowing chance to 'control' GOP: CNN - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump believes he would be on Mount Rushmore if he were a Democrat - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- Its been exactly one year since Trump suggested injecting bleach. Weve never been the same. - POLITICO - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump is turning Arizona into the Area 51 of politics - The Arizona Republic - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump Believes He Would Be On Mount Rushmore If He Ran As A Democrat - OK! - April 29th, 2021
- Trump was pitched on founding a $15 billion 'conservative media powerhouse' called Trump Media Group - Business Insider - April 29th, 2021
- Donald Trump May Be Returning To Bedminster This Summer: Report - Patch.com - April 29th, 2021
- Court will hear case against Trump on JEDI - FCW.com - April 29th, 2021
- The 1990s card game that predicted 9/11, Donald Trump, Covid and the Capitol riot - Yahoo News - April 29th, 2021
- John McCain's Widow Cindy Blasts Donald Trump As A 'Snake Oil Salesman,' Says He Turned The Republican Party Into A 'Disgrace' - OK! - April 29th, 2021
- Did former President Donald Trump get the COVID vaccine ... - April 27th, 2021
- What happened during the Jan. 6 call between Donald Trump and Kevin McCarthy? - PolitiFact - April 27th, 2021
- Susan Wright endorsed by Donald Trump in Texas congressional election - The Texas Tribune - April 27th, 2021
- Hes Going to Say My Name - Slate - April 27th, 2021
- 'He Has Never Spoken The Truth': Twitter Erupts After Donald Trump Claims Wife Melania Never Had Plastic Surgery - OK! - April 27th, 2021
- Trump ally Collins won't run for Senate or Georgia governor - The Associated Press - April 27th, 2021
- Podcast Corner: The Line looks at the actions in Iraq of Donald Trump's favourite Navy Seal - Irish Examiner - April 27th, 2021
- Rachel Maddow Can't Believe Even Lysol Had To Set The World Straight On Donald Trump - HuffPost - April 27th, 2021
- GOP committee ousts treasurer after he admitted to not voting for Trump - Fox17 - April 27th, 2021
- Trump gives thumbs up on Posts push for lifesaving COVID vaccine - New York Post - April 27th, 2021
- Will Donald Trump run for president again, win in 2024? Bet on it - Las Vegas Review-Journal - April 25th, 2021
- Opinion: Donald Trump blazed a trail that clears the way for Joe Biden - Bangor Daily News - April 25th, 2021
- Donald Trump savagely mocked on Twitter over claims Melania had no work done Lying - Daily Express - April 25th, 2021
- Madam Speaker review: how Nancy Pelosi bested Bush and Trump - The Guardian - April 25th, 2021
- People are climbing over Trumps $15 billion border wall with $5 ladders - Business Insider - April 25th, 2021
- Could Donald Trump Jrs crass Die Hard meme on policing inadvertently encourage reform? - The Independent - April 25th, 2021
- National View: Trump loves rallies; so why aren't they all part of the historical record? - Duluth News Tribune - April 25th, 2021
- Letters to the editor: Readers defend the filibuster, call out Donald Trump and show appreciation to volunteers - The Topeka Capital-Journal - April 25th, 2021
- Defeat for Donald Trump and the Republicans: The following lawsuit is dropped - Prudent Press Agency - April 21st, 2021
- Donald Trump is ditching the spray tan, M&M's, and even ... - April 21st, 2021
- 'Beyond seriously:' Donald Trump (again) teases another presidential run in 2024 - USA TODAY - April 21st, 2021
- Foxconn mostly abandons $10 billion Wisconsin project touted by Donald Trump - Moneycontrol - April 21st, 2021
- Will Bill Barr Spill the Beans on Donald Trump? - Vanity Fair - April 21st, 2021
- Letter to the Editor: Americans, stand up against Donald Trump - Canton Repository - April 21st, 2021
- "If Biden Wants To Keep Our Country Safe...": Trump's Advice To Successor - NDTV - April 21st, 2021
- Trump slams Biden over withdrawing troops from Afghanistan on September 11 - Boston Herald - April 21st, 2021
- Mike Lindell pranked on livestream by caller pretending to be Donald Trump - Yahoo News - April 21st, 2021
- What Ever Happened to Donald Trump? - The Atlantic - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trumps 757 Could Be Worth Millions On The Ground - Forbes - April 17th, 2021
- 10 Things in Politics: Donald Trump ditches his spray tan - Business Insider - April 17th, 2021
- Jake Paul: Donald Trump Jr. promotes Youtuber's fight with Ben Askern - Insider - April 17th, 2021
- Borat Trolls Donald Trump's Election Lies In Never-Before-Seen Footage Teaser - HuffPost - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trump hit with $1 trillion lawsuit over massive COVID-19 death toll in US - Salon - April 17th, 2021
- Donald Trump is facing yet another new lawsuit this one from a NJ parolee | Kelly - NorthJersey.com - April 17th, 2021
- Trump Allies Work to Craft a Platform Going Beyond Fealty to Him - Bloomberg - April 17th, 2021
- Where is Donald Trump? - TRT World - April 15th, 2021
- Meet the Woman Who Could Send Donald Trump to Prison - Vanity Fair - April 15th, 2021
- Heres Everything We Know About Donald Trumps Personal Finances - Yahoo Finance - April 15th, 2021
- Donald Trump Caused The Techlash - Techdirt - April 15th, 2021
- Pastor Johnny Enlow Says People Will Understand Donald Trump's Bravery When They Get to Heaven - Newsweek - April 15th, 2021
- How Rich Are Joe Biden, Donald Trump and All the Other Living US Presidents? - Yahoo Finance - April 15th, 2021
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Donald Trump will again be inaugurated as president - The Albany Herald - April 15th, 2021
- Just How Rich Are Donald Trump, President Biden and These Other Big Names? - Yahoo Finance - April 15th, 2021
- Donald Trump will again be inaugurated as president - The Albany Herald - April 15th, 2021
- Numbers show Donald Trump lost big with non-believers, but many religious voters stuck with him | Opinion - pennlive.com - April 15th, 2021
- Bidens gamble: Will pulling troops revive extremist threat? - KXAN.com - April 15th, 2021
- Whether you trust Donald Trump, or Joe Biden, or Kristi Noem, or Dusty Johnson, weve all gotten the vaccine - KELOLAND.com - April 15th, 2021
- Whats Donald Trump up to these days? I tried to find out via Instagram - The Guardian - April 11th, 2021
- Donald Trumps net worth dropped by one-third during his presidency - FOX 6 Milwaukee - April 11th, 2021
- Revisiting 2016's 'Donald Trump's The Art of the Deal: The Movie' and the Comedy of the Trump Era - International Policy Digest - April 11th, 2021
- Former President Trump's PAC has $85 million on hand as he prepares for midterms and possible 2024 run - CNBC - April 11th, 2021
- The National Archives won't be able to host Donald Trump's tweets on Twitter - Yahoo Tech - April 11th, 2021
- Milwaukee Asks to Sanction Donald Trump Over 'Baseless' Election Lawsuit - Bloomberg - April 11th, 2021
- Donald Trump and the Art of the Faustian Deal - The National Interest - April 11th, 2021
- Boehner blames Trump, regrets impeaching Clinton and other things we learned from his memoirs - The Cincinnati Enquirer - April 11th, 2021
- Trump held steady among believers at the ballot it was the nonreligious vote he lost in 2020 - Salon - April 11th, 2021
- To hold Donald Trump to account for the Jan. 6 riot, Marcy Kaptur joins a lawsuit against him: This Week in t - cleveland.com - April 11th, 2021
- Donald Trump - Forbes - March 31st, 2021
- Donald Trump Sued by 2 Capitol Police Officers Over Jan. 6 Insurrection - TMZ - March 31st, 2021
- Why Donald Trump Is Fuming Over Dr. Fauci And Dr. Birx - The List - March 31st, 2021
- The Unlikely Team of Prosecutors Hunting Trump in Georgia - The Daily Beast - March 31st, 2021
- Donald Trump ally Matt Gaetz faces sex trafficking probe over alleged relationship with teen girl - Stuff.co.nz - March 31st, 2021