The Missouri S&T University Police Department is continuing to support the students and staff of the university through their use of new surveillance technology. Doug Roberts, Chief of Police for the Missouri S&T Police Department said the new cameras located around campus are helping them not only by acting as a deterrent for crimes, but by additionally serving as an information source for officers.
This year weve installed several different new security cameras around campus Chief Roberts said, adding that the cameras either prevent crimes from happening or assist us when were investigating them.
The department currently has over 40 cameras installed in key points around the campus, which send a constant feed to the departments office. The footage from these cameras can be accessed from the Chiefs office as well as the main control room, with a large monitor mounted to show the entire campus.
Chief Roberts showed how he can access the cameras from his cell phone, allowing him to monitor the campus while in meetings or when he is occupied with other duties. The technology effectively allows him and other officers to be on patrol at all times. Chief Roberts said this technology goes hand in hand with the universitys new Rave Guardian app in helping students become more in tune with the campus police department.
Weve given students a way to interact with our department by text and by phone, he said. But now were watching them too. So if theyre engaged with us and theres a problem on campus, they can call us, we can zoom in on an image and see whats going on in that area. We can give the officers that are responding real world info and give them directions to be safe.
Chief Roberts said the cameras have already proven their worth in solving bicycle thefts on campus.
Theres bikes that get stolen because its a crime of opportunity he said, giving the example of a bike they recovered on Monday, August 21. Once the department received a report of a stolen bike, Chief Roberts said they were able to pull the footage and see the suspect along with the bike, which was registered as a student bike with he university.
We ended up identifying the suspect because of our surveillance cameras and captured him and the bike, Chief Roberts said. We saw two people going towards Thomas Jefferson Hall, one riding a bike and one not, and then two people, one pushing a bike and one riding a bike coming back. We were able to identify that bike as a student bike.
Chief Roberts said they are looking to install more cameras by the end of the school year to further enhance their ability to monitor the campus, and even provide ways to communicate with students from a distance in the next phase of this new installation.
Pretty soon were going to be putting speakers in the tunnels so we can communicate with peopleif somebodys hurt or if we something suspicious, we can tell them law enforcement is on their way.
The cameras currently in place record for about 386 days, according to Chief Roberts. Placing more cameras in the future will decrease the available memory, but Chief Roberts said the standard for memory is typically around 30 days, so they exceeding that by a significant amount. This footage is also shared with the City of Rolla Police Department as well.
Its the best technology out there right now, Chief Roberts said. Weve done a lot of research. The cameras also create notifications in the office for movement at night, and when someone is loitering in an area, bringing suspicious activity to officers attention.
This is how were going to prevent those bike thefts, this is how were going to investigate thefts that are reported, Chief Roberts said. This has already proven its value. He added they are not relying on yesterdays technology, and are striving to use state of the art equipment to improve campus living.
Chief Roberts said they are looking at bids to implement the next phase of the installation, and will have a plan for further implementation soon.
Originally posted here:
- MIT Technology Review - January 27th, 2020
- Technology : NPR - January 27th, 2020
- A Storm Is Brewing In The Technology Sector - Traders Magazine - January 27th, 2020
- Four Acronyms That Spell Technology Disruption - Forbes - January 27th, 2020
- Ulrich spring exhibition explores the pros and cons of technology - Wichita State Sunflower - January 27th, 2020
- Ask the Builder: Plumbing technology has come a long way - The Spokesman-Review - January 27th, 2020
- Edwards sees both sides of technology - The Cross Timbers Gazette - January 27th, 2020
- New technology transforms the beauty industry - Fort Wayne's NBC - January 27th, 2020
- How This Father-And-Son Team Invented St. Louis' Latest Smart Technology - St. Louis Public Radio - January 27th, 2020
- New sanitary technology is available in WNC | Business - The Mountaineer - January 27th, 2020
- Rules have to catch up with technology - Examiner Enterprise - January 27th, 2020
- Goodyear to launch bicycle tires with graphene technology - Graphene-Info - January 27th, 2020
- The Week In Technology, Jan. 27-31, 2020 - Aviation Week - January 27th, 2020
- Met police to begin using live facial recognition cameras in London - The Guardian - January 27th, 2020
- Unique Toronto law firm to focus on responsible use of AI technology - The Globe and Mail - January 27th, 2020
- Do You Know What Lin Horn Technology Co., Ltd.s (GTSM:5464) P/E Ratio Means? - Simply Wall St - January 27th, 2020
- RCCI to organise Smart Technology Exhibition on Feb 3 - The Nation - January 27th, 2020
- Executive Column: We go beyond main cities in Indonesia: Here Technologies - Jakarta Post - January 27th, 2020
- How a Japanese Biotech Company Is Innovating Drug Development Technologies - SPONSOR CONTENT FROM THE GOVERNMENT OF JAPAN - Harvard Business Review - January 27th, 2020
- Technology allows us to appreciate Liverpool and Stokes winning in style - The Guardian - January 27th, 2020
- More Americans say they're lonely blame work and technology - WDEF News 12 - January 27th, 2020
- 'Technology will eat up everything ahead' - Emerging Europe - January 27th, 2020
- The Evolution of Bitcoin's Technology Stack - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- The Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering is accepting applications - WHNT News 19 - January 22nd, 2020
- Why technology could be the key to powering the teachers of tomorrow - Techradar - January 22nd, 2020
- 5 ways technology will reshape the workforce in 2020 - ZDNet - January 22nd, 2020
- FIS Commits to Cincinnati as a Strategic Technology and Innovation Campus - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- How Technology Saved Chinas Economy - The New York Times - January 22nd, 2020
- Kiwi automated checkout start-up IMAGR announces backing from global technology heavy-weight - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Ultra-thin materials are poised to transform technology - Archinect - January 22nd, 2020
- BigID Introduces New Discovery-in-Depth Technology to Give Organizations Unmatched Data Intelligence for Privacy, Protection and Perspective -... - January 22nd, 2020
- Is Momo (MOMO) Outperforming Other Computer and Technology Stocks This Year? - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Whats the newest reason for your delayed PATH train? Blame technology. - NJ.com - January 22nd, 2020
- In Los Angeles, the Womens March embraces technology to organize and inspire - TechCrunch - January 22nd, 2020
- Technology isn't shaping work the way we think - Policy Options - January 22nd, 2020
- Sabre announces plans with Accor to create the first unified technology platform for the global hospitality industry - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- This Software Technology Firm is Reshaping the Asset Management Industry - Entrepreneur - January 22nd, 2020
- 'Frozen' Wardrobe Takes Technology, Math To Hit The Stage Every Night - CBS Los Angeles - January 22nd, 2020
- Which technology injects the most value into the insurance supply chain? - Insurance Business New Zealand - January 22nd, 2020
- Davos 2020: technology's opportunity in a cohesive and sustainable world - Information Age - January 22nd, 2020
- Antenna Technologies for IoT Applications, 2019 Report - The Antenna Start-up Ecosystem Has Adopted Unique Techniques to Comply With Existing &... - January 22nd, 2020
- Keysight Technologies Wins 2020 BIG Innovation Award - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Electric drive technology to see boost from GKN and Delta Electronics - Automotive Testing Technology International - January 22nd, 2020
- MAN Cryo to supply icebreaking RoRos with technology - gasworld - January 22nd, 2020
- Google wants its users to find a better balance with technology - Ghacks Technology News - January 22nd, 2020
- To Survive Disruption, Build a Digital Technology Foundation - Which-50 - January 22nd, 2020
- Harry Potter: 10 Ways Technology Would Change The Series If I Was Set Today - Screen Rant - January 22nd, 2020
- Millions of Android phones in India to get this ISRO technology - Hindustan Times - January 22nd, 2020
- Which technology brings the most value to the insurance supply chain? - Insurance Business Australia - January 22nd, 2020
- 5G: India will no longer be behind technology curve, says Trai Chief - Economic Times - January 22nd, 2020
- The Rise And Fall Of The Technology Companies - Forbes - December 13th, 2019
- Understanding the ethics behind use of HR technology - Human Resource Executive - December 13th, 2019
- Konka Group, A China TV Technology Powerhouse, Announces Brand Expansion Into The United States And Canada - PRNewswire - December 13th, 2019
- These Are The Technologies That Will Transform The 2020s - From 5G To Vertical Farming - Forbes - December 13th, 2019
- The State and Technological Revolution | by Benedict Macon-Cooney - Project Syndicate - December 13th, 2019
- The AI community needs to take responsibility for its technology and its actions - MIT Technology Review - December 13th, 2019
- 4 Stocks to Play the Way Technology Is Changing Everything About Finance - Barron's - December 13th, 2019
- Watch Advancements to Discover How Technology is Altering our World - PR Web - December 13th, 2019
- How to Organize Your Life With the Help of Technology - Entrepreneur - December 13th, 2019
- Mambu taps into card processing technology with Marqeta partnership - IBS Intelligence - December 13th, 2019
- What Can the Police Tell From Your Digital Activities? - Technology Networks - December 13th, 2019
- Where are we in the information technology revolution? - Furniture Today - December 13th, 2019
- CES 2020: Bosch presents intelligent technology that is Invented for life - Automotive World - December 13th, 2019
- Secure Technology Alliance Announces New TWIC Security Training and Certification Program - HSToday - December 13th, 2019
- As battery technology charges forward, the transport industry is benefitting from real change - EuropeanCEO - December 13th, 2019
- Growing Cleveland's start-up culture could come from new technology and a new place to work - News 5 Cleveland - December 13th, 2019
- Emotion recognition technology should be banned, says an AI research institute - MIT Technology Review - December 13th, 2019
- Indian IT companies deploy hitech technologies at home and abroad - Economic Times - December 13th, 2019
- Mmmm... fresh, delicious tenders: Forget G-Cloud, this 6.5bn Technology Products and Associated Services framework is where it's at - The Register - December 13th, 2019
- Technology To Make Healthcare More Effective, Indian Rep Tells UN - Inc42 Media - December 13th, 2019
- Scientists at School of Mines and Technology create a tool that drastically lowers medication prices - Kotatv - December 13th, 2019
- Port Authority To Look Into Technology That Could Save Bridge And Tunnel Carpool Discount - CBS New York - December 13th, 2019
- Universities at the forefront of technological innovation - Study International News - December 13th, 2019
- Heilind Asia Wins the 6th China IoT Technology Innovation Award - Business Wire - December 13th, 2019
- New Jersey Self-driving technology will be tested on some NJ buses Greg Mocker 7:31 - WPIX 11 New York - December 13th, 2019
- What does it take for teachers to make smart use of technology in classrooms? - The Dallas Morning News - December 13th, 2019
- Academics and 'The Intelligence Trap' | Technology and Learning - Inside Higher Ed - December 13th, 2019
- From AR to AI: The emerging technologies marketers can explore to enable and disrupt - Marketing Tech - December 13th, 2019
- Inflation-target renewal, impact of technology highlight Bank of Canada's 2020 work plan, Governor Poloz says - Bank of Canada - December 13th, 2019
- How Technology Is Transforming Executive Coaching - Harvard Business Review - December 1st, 2019