Weve all been there. Please listen to our entire menu as our options have changed. Say or press one for product information... Sometimes, these automated customer service experiences are effective and efficientother times, not so much.
Many organizations are already using chatbots and virtual assistants to help better serve their customers. These intelligent, automated self-service agents can handle frequently asked questions, provide relevant knowledge articles and resources to address customer inquiries, and help customers fill out forms and do other routine procedures. In the case of more complex inquiries, these automated self-service agents can triage those requests to a live human agent.
During times of uncertainty and emergency, customer service operations powered by artificial intelligence (AI) can be invaluable to businesses, helping customer service or human resources call centers keep up with spikes in demand and reduce customer wait times and frustration. According to recent estimates, Gartner predicts that by 2022, 70% of customer interactions will involve emerging technologies such as machine learning applications, chatbots, and mobile messaging. Thats an increase of 15% from 2018.
In these types of conversational interactions, AI chatbots can extend the reach of an organizations customer service and maintain a level of reciprocity with their customers, says Greg Bennett, conversation design principal at Salesforce. Theres also the opportunity for the business to express its brand, its voice, and its tone through words and language it uses to create a greater degree of intimacy. Bennett is deeply involved in training AI systems that power conversational chatbots and ensuring they are inclusive and able to understand a broad range of dialects, accents, and other linguistic expressions.
Not only is the use of AI automation becoming more widespread, it is also proving to be a significant business driver. Gartner anticipates that in 2021, AI augmentation will generate $2.6 trillion in business value. It could also save as many as 6.2 billion hours of labor.
According to research conducted by management consultancy Korn Ferry, conversational intelligence is a collaborative effort. And that collaborative effort is reciprocity of two participants to communicate in ways that lead to a shared concept of reality. That closes the gap between the individual reality of the two speakersand helps businesses help customers.
With that in mind, Salesforce and other companies have taken that concept one step further by looking for ways to combine conversational intelligence with technology. In fact, through these efforts, AI-powered conversational intelligence has vastly improved over time. This started with simple text recognition in which its fairly easy to achieve a significant degree of accuracy. But text recognition can be somewhat two-dimensional, which is why research has progressed to include automated speech recognition. Automated speech recognition systems must account for different languages, accents, and acoustic inflections, which is much more difficult and nuanced. As AI algorithms have become more sophisticated and have had the time and experience to incorporate more linguistic variations, AI technology has improved its ability to accurately understand the deeper subtleties of human conversational interactions.
Conversational intelligence is the constellation of features and technologies that enable humans and machines to take turns exchanging language and work toward accomplishing a discursive goal, says Bennett.
These AI systems focused on linguistics use a number of different technologies to understand written and spoken interactions with humans. Some of these include the following:
Going well beyond simple text recognition, natural language understanding is where AI is truly bringing its strengths to bear. By facilitating deeper, more nuanced conversation, it increases the efficacy of human-AI interactions. When an AI-powered customer service system is better equipped to recognize and discern natural language with fewer errors, it can guide a customer through an entire interaction without having to engage a human service agent. This frees up the agents to focus on more complex cases.
And using these capabilities in customer service environments can help companies not only expedite and improve interactions with their customers but also improve the overall customer relationship. If we can have a machine that helps facilitate that type of interaction between a company and a customer, then it helps to further build a relationship with that customer in a way that a help article would not, says Bennett.
And the more an AI system engages with humans, the more effective its algorithms become. By interacting with humans, an AI system can gather the data required to improve natural language understanding to better understand intent, helping to facilitate more nuanced human-computer conversations. Human interaction also helps these AI systems improve recognition and predictive capabilities to deliver more personalized content. By learning the many ways people behave and interact, the systems response becomes more accurate.
AI algorithms absorb, process, and analyze the datasets fed into the system using their own specific equations. This processing is done in one of two basic modalities: supervised or unsupervised. In supervised improvement, datasets will have an assigned target value or category. In unsupervised improvement, the algorithm analyzes the dataset on its own with no guidance or restrictions.
As they receive and process more data, the algorithms evolve, adapt, and improve their analytical models. So the algorithms improve and refine themselves based on both the quality and quantity of data processed. There are notions that AI can glean distinct intent, scope, and context by interacting with humans, says Bennett. These incremental improvements in predictive ability and depth of understanding increase the efficiency of customer engagement.
Although natural language processing has come a long way, automated speech recognition technology continues to face challenges in recognizing the full range of linguistic variations. There are all these different English accents, all of them are robust and valid and should be celebrated, says Bennett. Other linguistic variations that challenge AI include different slang or colloquial expressions to convey similar meanings and other paralinguistic features like tone, intonation, pacing, pausing, and pitch.
It is paramount to help AI manage the inherent levels of bias present in the system and expand to recognize the full range of linguistic variations. These incremental improvements in the predictive ability of AI algorithms helpimprove the customer experience by reducing the amount ofback-and-forth exchanges andmoments of frustration brought on by a lack of accurate recognition.
But these efforts and advancements present certain ethical conundrums. Consider, for example, how minorities are represented in training datasetsor more accurately how they are not represented. Most widely used datasets exclude more diverse expressions of dialect and social identity. Ensuring a diverse representation on the teams developing AI technologies is a critical step toward developing and evolving AI algorithms to recognize a broader array of linguistic expressions.
Now that AI is capable of allowing for a greater degree of variation, it should be able to account for broader contextual relevance and be more inclusive. Although conversation and language are the conduit, it is incumbent on humans working with AI systems to continue to consider accessibility throughout dialects, accents, and other stylistic variations.
Under-represented minorities have very little representation of their dialect and the expression of their social identity through language in these systems. Its mostly because of their lack of representation among the teams creating the technology, says Bennett. Ensuring that companies developing and deploying AI systems bring more diverse teams into the mix can help resolve that inherent bias.
AI systems have the capacity to allow for a greater degree of variation. When the systems can accurately interpret those variations and generate a contextually relevant response, AI will have evolved to a greater degree than ever before. Thats really where I think the evolution [of the field] has taken us, Bennett says.
Of course, thats not to say there arent other ethical and practical concerns surrounding the expanded use of AI. Privacy concerns, responsibility, transparency, and accurately and appropriately delegating decision processes are all still relevant. And then theres the ethical use of voice recordings. Its a growing field in which significant parameters still need to be defined.
Addressing the full range of linguistic variations and including more diverse groups and historically under-represented minorities in the process is truly building the future of the human-AI connection. This will also lead to more widespread use cases for business. In fact, the biggest competitive differentiator in the future of conversational technology will be the ability to provide robust conversational understanding regardless of language, accent, slang, dialect, or other aspects of social identity.
Bennett recalls a lesson from a grad school professor: She said, Having a conversation is like climbing a tree that climbs back. And that really characterizes the trajectory of where conversational AI technologies must go in order to meet the human needs and standards of conversation as a behavioral practice. Conversation is not a solo act. Its a two-way street. True conversation is the actsome might even say the artof taking turns engaging in speaking and listening, exchanging ideas, exchanging feelings, and exchanging information.
In linguistics, the paralinguistic features of speech like inflection, intonation, pacing, pausing, and pitch provide the pragmatic layer of meaning to a conversation, says Bennett. Instead of focusing on how the users can help AI systems, we should be asking how we can scale the system to meet the users where they are. Given what we know about linguistics, I dont believe you can force any sort of language change, he says. Conversational AI technology is set up in a way that could succeed if we took that approach at the pragmatic layerthe paralinguistic side of things.
The capacity to comprehend, fully understand, and scale to that level of linguistic diversity is where AI is heading, says Bennett. Startups in the conversational AI space are indexing on that as a differentiating factor. And when you think about it, if you include more diverse groups and historically under-represented minorities in the process, that actually expands your total addressable market.
This content was produced by Insights, the custom content arm of MIT Technology Review. It was not written by MIT Technology Reviews editorial staff.
Read this article:
- Rackspace Technology Named a Top 15 Sourcing Standout by ISG - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Enhancing the impact of Technology Modernization Fund - FCW.com - May 11th, 2021
- Converge Technology Solutions Corp. Wins Five IBM Awards Including Top North America National Sell Business Partner of the Year - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- DLS Technology Corporation Recipient of the 2020 Citrix Innovation Award for Partners - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Hempacco and Open Book Extracts to Debut Hemp Cigarette Flavoring Technology at Industry's Largest Annual Trade Show - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- Experts to Discuss the Future of the Technology Supply Chain - inForney.com - May 11th, 2021
- Funny faces in face recognition could increase phone security with new technology - NBC2 News - May 11th, 2021
- Technically speaking: How technology helped save independent Dallas restaurants during the pandemic - The Dallas Morning News - May 11th, 2021
- Why International Game Technology Stock Popped Today - Motley Fool - May 11th, 2021
- Lack of Time for Analysis, Adoption of New Technology and Data Limitations are Top Challenges Facing Finance Teams, According to insightsoftware... - May 11th, 2021
- High Technology Is Best STEM School In Nation - Patch.com - May 11th, 2021
- Multiple Texas State, Local Governments and Education Institutions Modernize with GTY Technology Solutions for Digital Transformation - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan freshens up with new styling, technology, and touch controls - The Car Connection - May 11th, 2021
- Why Technology Could Be The Answer For The Global Obesity Epidemic - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- Marchex to Participate in the 16th Annual Virtual Needham Virtual Technology & Media Conference - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- Merkle Technologies Set to Launch Revolutionary Blockchain Technology that will Enhance Ledger Communication - PRNewswire - May 11th, 2021
- Fungicide Approved with Three-Way Biological, Chemical and Nano Technologies - Agweb Powered by Farm Journal - May 11th, 2021
- Worldwide Mobile Robotics Industry to 2029 - Featuring Northrop Grumman, Adept Technology and John Deere Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - May 11th, 2021
- Global Sports Technology Market (2021 to 2026) - Featuring IBM, Cisco and Ericsson Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- 10 Hot Data Center Technologies And Trends To Watch In 2021 - CRN - May 11th, 2021
- Outlook on the Oleoresins Global Market to 2025 - by Manufacturers, Regions, Technology, Application and Product Type - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - May 11th, 2021
- FICS Hosts 34th Annual Users' Conference, Promotes Education in Technology for Continued Success - Business Wire - May 11th, 2021
- Loop inks LOI to become official technology partner to $2.7B All Net Resort and Arena Project in Las Vegas - Proactive Investors USA - May 11th, 2021
- Shift Technology raises $220M at a $1B+ valuation to fight insurance fraud with AI - TechCrunch - May 11th, 2021
- Hearing aids for the masses: How changing technology and government policy can help - The Denver Post - April 25th, 2021
- Safety belts, the postal 'service' and using technology - Antelope Valley Press - April 25th, 2021
- FHSU Hosting Technology Education Fair - KSAL - April 25th, 2021
- New Oriental Education & Technology Group (NYSE:EDU) May Have Issues Allocating Its Capital - Yahoo Finance - April 25th, 2021
- Cloud software marketplaces are linchpin to driving innovative technology solutions into DoD - C4ISRNet - April 25th, 2021
- Technology allowed Extension to keep doing its job - Traverse City Record Eagle - April 25th, 2021
- Abbott Vascular: delivering vascular care in 2021 | Technology & AI - Healthcare Global - Healthcare News, Magazine and Website - April 25th, 2021
- The Future of Retail: BOPIS 2.0 and RFID Technology | RFID JOURNAL - RFID Journal - April 25th, 2021
- How can technology bridge fintech and SMEs to ease the lending process - YourStory - April 25th, 2021
- The good, the bad and the truly horrifying potential of CRISPR technology | TheHill - The Hill - April 25th, 2021
- How Technology Is Revolutionizing Wildlife Photography - Fstoppers - April 25th, 2021
- This has just become a big week for AI regulation - MIT Technology Review - April 25th, 2021
- SEC Commissioner on Banning Bitcoin: 'It's Very Difficult to Ban Peer-to-Peer Technology' Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 25th, 2021
- Russia will rework technology developed for the ISS for its space station - SlashGear - April 25th, 2021
- Paritosh Jauhari Joins Successive Technologies as Chief Technology Officer - PR Newswire India - April 23rd, 2021
- Amazon's cashierless checkout technology is coming to its new supermarkets - CNBC - April 23rd, 2021
- Blockchain Technology Market Value Reach US$ 3.7 Billion By 2020 Covering Pre And Post COVID-19 Market Analysis: Acumen Research And Consulting -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Verrency Ranked Number 1 Fastest Growing Technology Company in Australia on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 Asia Pacific 2020 Ranking - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Wearable technology market was valued at USD 116.2 billion in 2021 and is anticipated to reach USD 265.4 billion by 2026, growing at a CAGR of 18.0%... - April 23rd, 2021
- Sharing Economy International Invests to develop NFT Technology into ECrent to Open Up Digital Items Sharing - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Inclusive Making course focuses on disabled users in technology spaces - Daily Northwestern - April 23rd, 2021
- How smart technology can drive the decarbonisation of transport - AirQualityNews - April 23rd, 2021
- Abel Noser Solutions Expands Their Technology Group with New Hires - GlobeNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- EyeWay Vision Joins Technology Innovation Collective The LaSAR Alliance | ARPost - ARPost - April 23rd, 2021
- Visionox Technology, Inc. and Universal Display Corporation Extend Long-Term OLED Agreements - Business Wire - April 23rd, 2021
- SBA Announces First-of-Its-Kind Technology Initiative for Restaurant Revitalization Fund - Drgnews - April 23rd, 2021
- Dow and Mura Technology announce partnership to scale game-changing new advanced recycling solution for plastics - Yahoo Finance - April 23rd, 2021
- II-VI Incorporated Inaugurates Technology and R&D Center in Shanghai - GlobeNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Skycatch Announces New Technology Initiatives to Achieve Climate-Resilient Infrastructure Globally - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- JetBlue Technology Ventures Invests in Universal Hydrogen to Support the Airline's Ambitious Sustainability Strategy - Business Wire - April 23rd, 2021
- Apria Healthcare Collaborates with Rackspace Technology to Leave the Data Center Resulting in Improved Customer Experience and Increased Savings -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Interactive College of Technology and DeVry University Partner to Create Unique Academic Pathway to Offer Students Easy Transfer - Business Wire - April 23rd, 2021
- Airbiquity and NXP Expand Technology Collaboration to Address Automaker Challenges with Managing Software and Data for Intelligent Connected Vehicles... - April 23rd, 2021
- DNA technology leads to arrest of man accused of sexually assaulting girl at East Texas camp - Tyler Morning Telegraph - April 23rd, 2021
- Lumeda Selected as one of the 25 Technology Companies to Watch in the Greater Hartford Area - WFMZ Allentown - April 23rd, 2021
- Accelerating Turnover to New Technology Diesel Engines, Increased use of Biobased Diesel Fuels Ensures Steady Progress on Carbon Reduction, Clean Air... - April 23rd, 2021
- Professional Sports Authenticator Acquires Genamint to Introduce Next-Generation Technology to Grading Process - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- When Seconds Count: The Technology That Saved Lives In Oologah's Powerful 1991 Tornado - News On 6 - April 23rd, 2021
- Digital Health Technologies Market is Projected to Reach USD 68.17 billion and Rise at CAGR of 4.80% by 2028 - GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY, Abbott, Bosch... - April 23rd, 2021
- How to Use Technology to Prepare for Travel During the Coronavirus Pandemic - The New York Times - April 15th, 2021
- Frasil: Deciphering Technology to Reduce Isolation and Improve Communication of PLWDs - Analytics Insight - April 15th, 2021
- The Blacks in Technology Foundation Partners with Apprenti to Increase Black Representation Across the Tech Industry - PRNewswire - April 15th, 2021
- Nokia technology chief: The future is in software - FierceWireless - April 15th, 2021
- DUG Technology, Curtin University Enter Into Supercomputing Partnership - HPCwire - April 15th, 2021
- Outlook on the Wireless Charging Global Market to 2026 - by Technology, Transmission Range, Application and Region - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - April 15th, 2021
- Beth.Technology Announces Major Rebrand to I/O Fund - Business Wire - April 15th, 2021
- Ivy Tech receives $17k in sheet metal donation for Automotive Technology Program - WANE - April 15th, 2021
- Fed OIGs Leveraging Technology to Adjust to Pandemic Landscape - MeriTalk - April 15th, 2021
- Pre- and Post-COVID, Technology Is Reshaping Admissions Forever | Call to Action: Marketing and Communications in Higher Education - Inside Higher Ed - April 15th, 2021
- We Dont Need Tech Infomercials - The New York Times - April 15th, 2021
- This information technology stock has zoomed 134% in 6 weeks - Business Standard - April 15th, 2021
- 2021 Leadership Quadrant of Millimeter Wave Technology Suppliers - 8 Companies Included Such as Ridgewave, E-Band and Lightpointe -... - April 15th, 2021
- Coronavirus vaccine technology is paving the way for a whole new approach to flu shots - The Spokesman-Review - April 15th, 2021
- Japan's ticket to zero carbon could be century-old technology - The Japan Times - April 15th, 2021
- ABERDEEN INTERNATIONAL (TSX:AAB, FR:A8H, OTC:AABVF) Technology Partner T2M Global Selected by the US Department Of Energy to Use AES-100 Technology to... - April 15th, 2021
- Advanced Manufacturing Technology (AMT) TechVision Opportunity, Annual Subscription - Latest Global Innovations and Developments - Yahoo Finance UK - April 15th, 2021