Mr Sassoli has written to Mrs von der Leyen, who as president of the European Commission is the EU's highest-ranking official, stressed the importance of allowing MEPs to be directly involved in the event, which will focus on progress with the implementation of the Withdrawal Agreement, the Northern Ireland Protocol and also citizens rights. The move is a likely indication of the urgency of with which Mr Sassoli and his colleagues are regarding the situation.
Italian MEP Mr Sassoli, described the Parliament is a key player in talks on international agreements, stressing its consent was a precondition for any final trade deal.
Including the Parliament would be a demonstration of "unity and support for any deal, he said
With talks due to resume next week, the coronavirus pandemic has injected added urgency into the negotiations, the penultimate round of discussions prior to the July 1 deadline by which the EU and UK must decide whether to extend the Brexit transition period past December 31.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has insisted he will not delay the process any longer - but several senior figures, most recently Ireland's Simon Coveney, have suggested the timetable is unrealistic in the midst of the ongoing health crisis.
The UK seems to be sticking to its guns, with a statement issued after a meeting of the Ireland/Northern Ireland Specialised Committee last month in which it said: UK officials reaffirmed our commitment to complying with our legal obligations under the Northern Ireland Protocol, just as we expect the EU to comply with theirs.
The UK was clear that our approach at all times will be focused on protecting the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement and gains of the peace process, and on preserving Northern Irelands place in the UK.
The UK has also ruled out EU plans for a Belfast office of the EU in Northern Ireland.
Speaking last week, David Collins Professor of International Economic Law at The City Law School, told Express.co.uk there was no chance of the transition period being extended beyond December 31, with UK negotiator David Frost likely to walk away rather than let that happen.
He said: "I believe very much that the June deadline holds true and that the UK should not, nor will they, seek an extension.
"Frost will likely walk away only at the very last moment in December when a path forward becomes impossible because with the EU they always seem to be willing to give ground and become more reasonable at the eleventh hour."
As an example of a situation whereby Mr Frost would deem to pointless to carry on talking, Prof Collins said: "The UK would rightly walk away if the EU insisted on any one of: regulatory alignment, continued oversight of the ECJ, free movement or ongoing monetary contributions.
"These are the same red-lines that Theresa May outlined all those years ago in the Mansion House speech and they still apply."
Asked during today's coronavirus briefing about the possibility of a delay, Environment Secretary George Eustice was unequivocal.
He said: "We're still going ahead with it.
"Brexit, in fact, is something that has already happened.
- With Brexit Trade Talks at an Impasse, Boris Johnson Finally Engages - The New York Times - June 20th, 2020
- Brexit victory: Macron WILL cave to UK fishing stance by autumn - but there is a catch - Express - June 20th, 2020
- Brexit news: What would ending the transition period with no deal really mean? - Express.co.uk - June 20th, 2020
- Covid-19 and Brexit: Contrasting sectoral impacts on the UK | VOX, CEPR Policy Portal - voxeu.org - June 20th, 2020
- EU FURY: Macron unleashes new Brexit threat in bid to force through 750billion bailout - Express.co.uk - June 20th, 2020
- EU 'terrified' of successful UK 'on its doorstep' says Widdecombe in brutal Brexit warning - Express.co.uk - June 20th, 2020
- Brexit warning: Conservative MP outlines red lines for UK fishing industry in EU talks - Express - June 20th, 2020
- Talking Europe - Luxembourg's PM on Brexit talks: 'Boris Johnson is disagreeing with his own position' - FRANCE 24 - June 20th, 2020
- Farmers and producers receive overwhelming support from British public ahead of Brexit | News - Speciality Food - June 20th, 2020
- Westminster's actions mean devolved governments have had 'no meaningful input' in Brexit trade talks - Press and Journal - June 20th, 2020
- Johnson & Brexit Patronising Etonian Alienates the World Byline Times - Byline Times - June 20th, 2020
- Letter: Let's not let post Brexit 'rehabilitation' be compromised by any further unnecessary political interference from the EU. - Craven Herald - June 20th, 2020
- Bank of England and Brexit Weigh on Pound Sterling to US Dollar (GBP/USD) - TorFX News - June 20th, 2020
- Brexit: UK and EU agree not to extend transition period beyond December 2020 - Euronews - June 17th, 2020
- Its official: U.K. wont require an extension of Brexit talks, even as negotiations with EU hit gridlock - MarketWatch - June 17th, 2020
- Brexit revives unionist and nationalist divide in Northern Ireland - The Guardian - June 17th, 2020
- Sticking to our current timetable and not delaying Brexit is the right thing to do - Telegraph.co.uk - June 17th, 2020
- Brexit: EU accuses UK of trying to maintain economic benefits amid coronavirus recession - DW (English) - June 17th, 2020
- Germany is picking up the tab for Brexit - Spectator.co.uk - June 17th, 2020
- Boris Johnson's 'Brexit plane' gets a red, white and blue makeover - ITV News - June 17th, 2020
- Pound near two-week lows on fears of second virus wave, Brexit meeting eyed - Reuters - June 17th, 2020
- EU and UK urged not to 'indulge in a blame game' over deadlocked Brexit talks - The Parliament Magazine - June 17th, 2020
- Top British stocks to load up on before and after Brexit - Yahoo Finance UK - June 17th, 2020
- Letter: Brexit transition period extension needed before we end up with No Deal Brexit - On The Wight - June 17th, 2020
- Marcus Rashford and Brexit deal feature on varied front pages - ITV News - June 17th, 2020
- Government urged to divert Brexit festival money to funding free school meals over summer - The New European - June 17th, 2020
- 'Let's Get It Done,' Johnson Says of Brexit Trade Deal - The New York Times - June 17th, 2020
- UK Government must stand up to their Brexit commitments Arlene Foster - Belfast Telegraph - June 17th, 2020
- Swindon 'likely to be among hardest hit' by Covid and Brexit - Swindon Advertiser - June 17th, 2020
- Preparations for no-deal Brexit part of programme for new Dublin government - The Irish News - June 17th, 2020
- Brexit talks latest: Government and Tory Party are facing a big split over cheap US food imports - iNews - June 17th, 2020
- First Minister links with Welsh counterpart to lobby Boris Johnson for Brexit extension - Northern Times - June 17th, 2020
- Brexit: No light ahead of the tunnel - RTE.ie - June 13th, 2020
- Majority of Britons back Brexit extension to help beat coronavirus - The Independent - June 13th, 2020
- No-deal Brexit would be 'major block' to UK's recovery, warns CBI - The Guardian - June 13th, 2020
- WATCH: Tory Brexiteer baffles news viewers by claiming EU will 'blink again' over government's Brexit position - The New European - June 13th, 2020
- Germany and France must do THIS for EU survival or other nations will follow Brexit - Express.co.uk - June 13th, 2020
- Arsene Wenger warns Brexit restrictions could kill Premier League and its global appeal - Mirror Online - June 13th, 2020
- Scottish research facing twin threats of COVID and Brexit - gov.scot - Scottish Government News - June 13th, 2020
- 'Petrified' EU facing crisis as Brexit success threatens to spell END of bloc, Tice warns - Express.co.uk - June 13th, 2020
- GBP/USD: Horrible UK GDP and Brexit hassles pounds the pound - FXStreet - June 13th, 2020
- 'Crofters must not take their eye off Brexit' - Press and Journal - June 13th, 2020
- Bracknell readers send in their letters this week - Bracknell News - June 13th, 2020
- How the Coronavirus Makes a No-Deal Brexit More Likely - The New York Times - June 6th, 2020
- The EU is beginning to believe the UK actually wants the Brexit trade deal talks to fail - Business Insider - Business Insider - June 6th, 2020
- Boris Johnson's Brexit nightmare is back at the worst possible moment - CNN - June 6th, 2020
- The pandemic is being used as cover for a no-deal Brexit - The Guardian - June 6th, 2020
- Claim that extending the Brexit transition period could cost 380 billion is not credible - Full Fact - June 6th, 2020
- UK seeks to boost post-Brexit ties with Asean partnership - Bangkok Post - June 6th, 2020
- Stormont backs calling for extension to Brexit transition period - The Guardian - June 6th, 2020
- The Brexit crisis led to totally incompetent leadership at a time of unprecedented calamity. Now we are paying for it - The Independent - June 6th, 2020
- Northern Ireland faces 'potent threat' from Brexit and Covid-19 - The Guardian - June 6th, 2020
- The Economic Case Against Extending the Brexit Transition - briefingsforbrexit.com - June 6th, 2020
- Jacob Rees-Mogg conjures Thatcher while dismissing calls for a Brexit extension - The New European - June 6th, 2020
- Key election battlegrounds face double hit from Brexit and coronavirus - The Guardian - June 6th, 2020
- Crucial week ahead in Brexit negotiations, says Ahern - RTE.ie - June 6th, 2020
- Brexit backlash: Guy Verhofstadt savaged after yet another attack on Boris Johnson - Express - June 6th, 2020
- Irish fears for Brexit talks if Hogan gets top WTO job - The Irish Times - June 6th, 2020
- Our response to pandemic can help to heal Brexit wounds Archbishop of York - Yorkshire Post - June 6th, 2020
- Letter to the editor: No-deal Brexit would make recession worse - Bournemouth Echo - June 6th, 2020
- MSP: Firms in East Dunbartonshire cant prepare for Brexit on top of a pandemic - Kirkintilloch Herald - June 6th, 2020
- Inside the final act of the Brexit drama - Spectator.co.uk - June 6th, 2020
- Ian McConnell: Will anything, anything at all make Johnson and Co. stop Brexit folly in its tracks in time as Scottish pleas ignored? - HeraldScotland - June 6th, 2020
- Evening top 5: Accelerated COVID-19 re-opening; summer schools; and 'no progress' on Brexit - Newstalk - June 6th, 2020
- TCW's Brexit Watch: Our Hong Kong connection strikes fear into EU - The Conservative Woman - June 6th, 2020
- Brexit talks back on between EU and UK ahead of June summit - Euronews - May 11th, 2020
- Ireland says Brexit trade talks timeline 'virtually impossible' - Reuters - May 11th, 2020
- Has Brexit affected the way Britons think about immigrants? The recent 'national mood' on immigration - British Politics and Policy at LSE - May 11th, 2020
- Brexit shambles: How desperate Remainers tried to claim William Shakespeare in EU debate - Express - May 11th, 2020
- The Brextremists plot their revenge on the House of Lords | Latest Brexit news and top stories - The New European - May 11th, 2020
- Foster: Talk of extension to Brexit transition period a distraction - Belfast Telegraph - May 11th, 2020
- Keir Starmer refuses to back Brexit transition extension - The Independent - May 11th, 2020
- Letter: It's time for politicians to respect the Brexit referendum - East London and West Essex Guardian Series - May 11th, 2020
- Brexit fishing outrage: How UK could have followed Norway's path and protected its waters - Express - May 11th, 2020
- Britain's fisheries on the table today as Brexit deal talks resume - EU Today - May 11th, 2020
- Pro-Brexit Tory MP tries to overturn result of two referendums - The New European - May 11th, 2020
- GBPUSD steady above 1.2400 as new Brexit talks resume - InvestingCube - May 11th, 2020
- Robert Jenrick struggles to explain new coronavirus messaging from government | Latest Brexit news and top stories - The New European - May 11th, 2020
- Europe Day reminds us that unity is strength | Latest Brexit news and top stories - The New European - May 11th, 2020
- Local fishermen against Brexit transition period extension - Shetland News - May 11th, 2020