Two different types of brain stimulation therapy are being tested to help relieve a number of MS-related symptoms such as leg spasticity and stress.
Different types of brain stimulation are being tested, and also used, for the treatment of many multiple sclerosis symptoms.
Two noninvasive brain stimulation procedures are showing potential and success in helping people with multiple sclerosis (MS) live better lives.
One type is called Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), and the other is called Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS).
These two brain stimulation methods are different, yet both are finding their ways into MS research.
In TMS, a large machine is used to create a magnetic field that introduces electric current into of the brain. The procedure is performed in a clinic by a lab technician.
Between the two therapies, TMS is considered stronger and can make electrons fire. tDCS is not as strong and only encourages electrons to fire.
TMS has been tested on a variety of MS-related symptoms over the years.
These include fatigue, mood and attention, chronic pain, and oxidative stress. TMS is also used for moderating the blood brain barrier, which has also been found to be of clinical significance in the treatment of several autoimmune diseases.
TMS was also found to be helpful in both MS-related dexterity issues and dysphagia, which is the inability to think or say the proper word during a conversation, a common symptom of MS.
Now there are studies looking at TMS as an aid for spasticity in people with MS.
There is also a newer form of TMS, Intermittent Theta Burst Stimulation (ITBS), that according to a small study, could be helpful in treating MS-related spasticity in the legs.
The other type of brain stimulation gaining traction in the MS arena is tDCS.
tDCS delivers electrical stimulation directly to the brain through electrodes placed on scalp, which target specific regions of the brain.
This procedure has been shown to successfully treat fatigue in adults with MS, as well as improve cognitive functioning in healthy controls and study participants with a range of medical disorders.
Cognitive impairment in MS remains a major treatment challenge, and researchers running a new trial out of New York University (NYU) Langone Medical Center are looking to see how treatment with tDCS could help.
Leigh Charvet, PhD, the studys principal investigator and an associate professor in the Department of Neurology at NYU, told Healthline that this study is putting MS at the forefront.
She noted that MS treatments are often a byproduct of research done on other illnesses. However, this study is centered on MS and helping as many patients as possible.
The goal of this study is to create a program that is accessible and sustainable for MS patients, meaning that it is easy to do and available in the comfort of ones own home.
She emphasized that more sessions seem to be leading to better results.
The tDCS device worked best when paired with cognitive training at home via telerehabilitation, Charvet explained.
Charvet also led a successful study published earlier this year about the positive results of telerehabilitation on cognitive issues. She said she was very excited about fatigue levels going down for patients as a result of her current trial, suggesting this could help many of those experiencing disabling MS-related fatigue.
But Charvet cautioned, Its still in an early stage with a lot to be learned.
Funded by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, the feasibility study was designed to reach as many people with MS in as many homes as possible with the purpose of using a brain stimulation device along with telemedicine to help them manage and improve symptoms such as fatigue and cognitive issues.
This feasibility study will test a sham device vs. the actual device. The clinical trial is currently seeking applicants.
In addition, data is still being collected for another clinical trial out of the University of Belgrade looking at rTMS for aiding lower limb spasticity in MS patients.
Other brain stimulation therapies similar to tDCS are also being evaluated.
Transcranial Alternating Current Stimulation (tACS) differs in how the electrical current is delivered. It was cleared by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2008 for depression and other conditions such as insomnia and anxiety.
These devices are available at clinics across the country. This process continues to show successful testing with the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Kelly Roman, co-founder of Fisher Wallace, a company that provides brain stimulation devices, told Healthline that of their 25,000 active customers, approximately 80 percent find success with their depression and 20 percent with insomnia issues.
While MS is not a focus for Fisher Wallace, the success of their products on MS-type symptoms could provide relief for some patients.
Editors Note: Caroline Craven is a patient expert living with MS. Her award winning blog is GirlwithMS.com, and she can be found @thegirlwithms.
- TMS Lady Wildcats take fifth in Murfreesboro | Local Sports - Tullahoma News and Guardian - September 18th, 2019
- A TMS partnership that spells sweet success - DC Velocity - September 18th, 2019
- Trimble Debuts Continued Enhancements to its TMW.Suite, TruckMate and Innovative IES TMS Solutions New Products and Services - DC Velocity - September 18th, 2019
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Neuronavigation Systems Market Insights Analysis 2018-2026 - Rapid News Network - September 18th, 2019
- Convoy adds API access to its network for shippers - FreightWaves - September 18th, 2019
- Specialized haul drivers at TMS Delivery Inc. given special acknowledgment for National Truck Driver Week - Tyler Morning Telegraph - September 18th, 2019
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS | Local | thetandd.com - The Times and Democrat - September 18th, 2019
- Kuebix Community Load Match Saves Shippers Money on Truckload Rates While Increasing Business for Brokers and Digital Freight Matching Firms -... - September 18th, 2019
- Mitsubishi teases new PHEV SUV concept for TMS - Paul Tan's Automotive News - September 18th, 2019
- Pokemon GO Shiny Trapinch code found as Mewtwo raids cancelled - SlashGear - September 18th, 2019
- Momentum Continue?::Greenbrook Tms Inc, (TSX (Toronto):GTMS) - Times Of New York - September 18th, 2019
- MercuryGate Names Traci Kellner as Chief People Officer - Business Wire - September 18th, 2019
- Kuebix Community Load Match saves shippers money on truckload rates - American Journal of Transportation - September 18th, 2019
- Midweek interview with TMS Talent's Ed Hewitt - Travel Weekly - September 18th, 2019
- TMS for USA 3PL market Overview, Development & Growth Rate Forecast for Next 5 Years - Market News Everyday - September 18th, 2019
- Right Time To Pull The Trigger ::Greenbrook Tms Inc, (TSX (Toronto):GTMS) - Times Of New York - September 18th, 2019
- Edap Tms (NASDAQ:EDAP) Downgraded to Hold at ValuEngine - TechNewsObserver - September 18th, 2019
- EDAP TMS SA (EDAP) Jumped Up 2.0%, But Why? - Merakhaber News - September 18th, 2019
- Landmark TMS Provider - Achieve TMS - Opening in Claremont, CA - PR Newswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- EDAP TMS to Present at the 19th Annual Rodman & Renshaw Global Investment Conference - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- EDAP TMS Reports Record Second Quarter and First Half 2017 Results - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- What is the Schaff Indicator Suggesting For Edap Tms SA (EDAP)? - Morgan Research - August 25th, 2017
- Like most families, Test Match Special has had some bitter rows - Telegraph.co.uk - August 25th, 2017
- TMW Adds Real-Time Freight Tracking to TMS Solutions - TopNews ... - Heavy Duty Trucking - August 20th, 2017
- TMS To Host Solar Eclipse Watch Party on World's Largest TV - Speedway Digest (press release) (blog) - August 20th, 2017
- Investors Focusing the Lens on Shares of EDAP TMS SA (NASDAQ:EDAP) - Nelson Research - August 20th, 2017
- 3GTMS partners with project44 - Fleet Owner - August 18th, 2017
- EDAP TMS (EDAP) & PhotoMedex (PHMD) Head to Head Survey - The Cerbat Gem - August 16th, 2017
- What's Behind Edap Tms SA (EDAP)'s Movement - Stock Daily Review - August 16th, 2017
- Can This Stock Gain Any Traction: EDAP TMS SA (NASDAQ:EDAP)? - FLBC News - August 14th, 2017
- Schools preparing for opening day - The Daily Planet - August 14th, 2017
- NeoSync Secures $13M in Financing to Fund Treatment Resistant Depression Technology Trial - Scientific Computing - August 14th, 2017
- TMS Wildcats blast Coffee County 38-0 - Tullahoma News and Guardian - August 13th, 2017
- TMW Systems appoints new senior director, product management - Fleet Owner - August 11th, 2017
- What are Technical Machines in Pokmon GO (TMs)? - Tech Advisor - August 11th, 2017
- Targeted Microwave Solutions Inc. (TMS.V) Sees Technical Signals Building - Evergreen Caller - August 10th, 2017
- Child missionaries take center stage at TMS | Tvilletimes | hpenews ... - Tvilletimes - August 10th, 2017
- Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Share Price Heads Below Balance Step - FLBC News - August 10th, 2017
- When medication fails, this helmet can treat depression - Metro US - August 9th, 2017
- GDC Theatre Management System is number one in India | Film ... - Film Journal - August 9th, 2017
- Edap Tms (NASDAQ:EDAP) Given Daily Media Sentiment Rating of -0.03 - The Cerbat Gem - August 9th, 2017
- Volume Moving the Tape For Targeted Microwave Solutions Inc. (TMS.V) - Clayton News - August 8th, 2017
- What Do The Technicals Boil Down To For Edap Tms SA (EDAP ... - JCTY News - August 8th, 2017
- Is EDAP TMS SA (NASDAQ:EDAP) The Right Stock For Heady Investors? - FLBC News - August 6th, 2017
- Edap Tms (NASDAQ:EDAP) and PhotoMedex (PHMD) Head to Head Analysis - BNB Daily (blog) - August 6th, 2017
- Changes for TMS with new school year - Tallmadge Express - August 6th, 2017
- Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Moves Below Ichimoku Cloud - Evergreen Caller - August 6th, 2017
- Chris Waters: Boycott wind-up the latest in long line of classic TMS moments - Yorkshire Post - August 5th, 2017
- Investors Swarm in on EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP) Shares ... - FLBC News - August 5th, 2017
- TMS Global leader's move adds to ranks of African Americans serving in international cross-cultural missions - The South Florida Times - August 4th, 2017
- Lee County, Tupelo students return for new school year - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - August 4th, 2017
- MercuryGate Announces Addition of Rockfarm to its Logistics Integrator Program; Innovative Offering Empowers ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 3rd, 2017
- 'You've done me like a kipper!': Geoffrey Boycott brilliantly pranked on TMS - Metro - August 2nd, 2017
- TMS Exclusive: In This Corner of the World Cooking Clip Shows How People Dealt With Sparse Rations - The Mary Sue - August 2nd, 2017
- EDAP TMS SA (EDAP) closes with a move of -1.90%, Edge Therapeutics, Inc. (EDGE) noted a price change of -0.84% - Stocks Gallery - August 2nd, 2017
- Is Edap Tms SA Adr (NASDAQ:EDAP)'s Fuel Running Low? Reports Show More Sellers - BZ Weekly - August 1st, 2017
- EDAP TMS SA (EDAP) Reports 510(k) Application for Ablatherm-Fusion Device - StreetInsider.com - July 31st, 2017
- Critical Comparison: Edap Tms (EDAP) vs. PhotoMedex (PHMD) - The Cerbat Gem - July 29th, 2017
- MACD News: Taking a Closer Look at Edap Tms Sa ADR (EDAP) - Nelson Research - July 29th, 2017
- America's Infrastructure Remains a Topic of Spirited Debate: How Can TMS Help Users of the Nation's Highways Avoid ... - Logistics Viewpoints (blog) - July 28th, 2017
- Placing the Spotlight on Targeted Microwave Solutions Inc. (TMS.V): Technical Stock Update - Financial Newsweek - July 28th, 2017
- Test Match Special - BBC Sport - July 27th, 2017
- Pierbridge is Named a Top 10 TMS Provider for 2017 - Benzinga - July 27th, 2017
- TMS May Help Distinguish Alzheimer's from Frontotemporal Dementia - MedPage Today - July 27th, 2017
- Shares Seesawing on Volume: Targeted Microwave Solutions Inc. (TMS.V) - Clayton News - July 26th, 2017
- Targeted Microwave Solutions Inc. (TMS.V) Sees Schaff Indicator Continue To Climb - Morgan Research - July 26th, 2017
- Edap Tms S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP) Downgraded to Hold at Zacks ... - The Cerbat Gem - July 26th, 2017
- Treatment That 'Rewires' the Brain Could Be Used for Depression - Healthline - July 25th, 2017
- Shares Seesawing on Volume: Edap Tms SA (EDAP) - Rockville Register - July 25th, 2017
- Transformer Monitoring Systems (TMS) Market Is Expected to Rise at a Remarkable CAGR by 2024 - Digital Journal - July 25th, 2017
- QAD brings personalisation to TMS - Enterprise Times - July 21st, 2017
- Racers Prepare For Solar Car Competition At TMS CBS Dallas ... - CBS DFW - July 20th, 2017
- North Texas students compete in solar car challenge at TMS - Story ... - FOX 4 News - July 19th, 2017
- SimpliShip ties up with TMS provider Kuebix - American Shipper (subscription) - July 19th, 2017
- Getting Paid: Why AR Matters in your TMS - Logistics Viewpoints (blog) - July 19th, 2017
- TMS activity gathers pace - The Maritime Standard (registration) - July 18th, 2017
- Kuebix Partners with SimpliShip to Expand International TMS Solution - PR Web (press release) - July 18th, 2017
- QI Valuation Update on EDAP TMS SA (NasdaqGM:EDAP) - Union Trade Journal - July 17th, 2017
- Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Shareholder Sabby Management Lowered Its Position by $1.57 Million; Edgewood Management ... - BZ Weekly - July 14th, 2017
- North American Bancard closes on Total Merchant Services deal - Crain's Detroit Business - July 11th, 2017