Love will help us get through this period of self-quarantine and social distancing. So will laughter. Thats why romantic comedies are a good choice for pausing pandemic anxiety for a few hours. Here are five that fit the times in their own special ways.
The Holiday (2006)
Youre in safe hands for a cinematic getaway when director Nancy Meyers is in charge. She makes movies that are funny, sophisticated images of a dream life. Her films also provide ideas for dream date, dream best friends and dream kitchens.
Meyers achieved cable-rerun immortality with The Holiday, a rom-com too good to limit to December. The house-swap escapade sends a high-powered Hollywood exec (Cameron Diaz) off to vacation in a cozy English cottage, while its usual resident, a British columnist (Kate Winslet), borrows the execs luxurious Los Angeles trophy home.
Whats the best part of a film thats as comfortable as fuzzy socks and flannel pajamas? Is it Jude Laws take on a humble, awkward widower? Jack Blacks sexy side? Winslets friendship with an elderly screenwriter played by the great Eli Wallach? Yes, all that, plus Diazs endless supply of off-white winter knitwear. Keep watching over and until you feel much better about life.
The Big Sick (2017)
Its a counterintuitive pick, maybe, but star and co-screenwriter Kumail Nanjianis tender comedy about a man who breaks up with his true love, then sticks by her through a medically induced coma makes a hopeful statement about surviving a medical crisis.
Nanjiani is wonderful in a plot based on his real-life courtship of his wife, co-screenwriter Emily V. Gordon. Whether dealing with his strict Pakistani parents (Anupam Kher and Zenobia Shroff), who are pushing an arranged marriage, or facing the skepticism of his girlfriends mom and dad (Holly Hunter and Ray Romano), he depicts the learning curve that anyone goes through when love is tested by uncontrollable outside forces.
Same goes for Zoe Kazan, who is superb as a woman who realizes that perfection in a relationship is unattainable, but extreme loyalty might be even better. If you think its impossible to laugh in a time of viral peril, the funny human moments here will correct that impression.
Youve Got Mail (1998)
Oh, the simple days of AOL email accounts. This classic Tom Hanks-Meg Ryan reboot of 1940s Shop Around the Corner directed and co-written by the great Nora Ephron is set in the dinosaur age of technology, yet its just the thing for coping with 2020.
What better way to conduct a flirtation right now than through online chatting and never actually meeting? And what more charming conflict than a feud between an indie bookstore owner (Ryan) and the scion of a mega-bookstore chain (Hanks)? It almost (but not quite) makes you forget your library is closed and your local bookstore is taking a big financial hit.
And given how much we all need a cathartic cry, the moment where Hanks wipes away Ryans tears Dont cry, shopgirl is one of the most exquisite weeping inducers of the last 30 years.
Jumping the Broom (2011)
Paula Patton and Laz Alonso star as the gorgeous young couple whose lavish wedding on Marthas Vineyard seems destined to be disrupted. But its still a reminder that family gatherings with dozens of testy relatives may not be the worst thing to endure.
As Patton and Alonso see their plans begin to unravel, a strong supporting cast finds comedy gold in the tensions of clashing relatives and in-laws. With Angela Bassett and Brian Stokes Mitchell as Pattons snooty parents, Loretta DeVine as Alonsos clingy mother, and Meagan Good and Gary Dourdain as the maid of honor and reception chef who send sparks flying, youll be saying I do to this comedy of misunderstandings, unearthed secrets and, eventually, blessed reconciliation.
The American President (1995)
The biggest problem faced by President Andrew Shepherd, at least for much of this politically themed rom-com, is convincing a florist he is not prank-calling when he tries to order flowers for the lobbyist who has stolen his heart.
Sure, there is some agonizing over an environmental bill and a mini-scandal involving the lobbyists youthful involvement in the protest movement. But rest assured, the ride in this star vehicle driven by Michael Douglas and Annette Bening is a smooth fantasy version of high-profile love affairs, not to mention government in action.
And if the ballroom scene in Beauty and the Beast animated or live action is your ultimate in swoon-level dances, check out Douglas and Benings twirl at a White House state dinner. As they used to say in 1995 (or maybe it was 1935?), yowza!
- They fought and died, and we remember - The Register-Guard - May 24th, 2020
- Grafite: The Tale of One of the Bundesliga's Greatest Ever One-Season Wonders - 90min - May 24th, 2020
- The last days of history - Part 13Sunday Magazine - Guardian - May 24th, 2020
- 'Henry tried every day to be the best' - Vela says Jordan's Last Dance documentary conjured memories of Arsenal icon - Goal.com - May 24th, 2020
- Elliott Mortuary to host events in Madisonville | Local News - The Messenger - May 24th, 2020
- Read this before you watch The Old Guard - Looper - May 24th, 2020
- 10 New Switch Titles Releasing This Week - SwitchWatch - May 24th, 2020
- From the archives: CSM wins first Nor Cal title - San Mateo Daily Journal - May 24th, 2020
- David Charters: Grumbling oil boiler offers thoughts of immortality - Liverpool Echo - April 11th, 2020
- Hope Is an Important Part of Judaism | Bob Ryan - The Times of Israel - April 11th, 2020
- Teen paperboy with vampire obsession ripped elderly woman's heart out and drank her blood to be immortal - MEAWW - April 11th, 2020
- Lactomeda: the future of humanity | Science - The Union Journal - April 11th, 2020
- Westworld Season 3 Has Almost the Same Plot as Captain America: The Winter Soldier - The Mary Sue - April 11th, 2020
- 21st Century Westerns: The Alamo - Cowboys and Indians - April 11th, 2020
- Last Witch Hunter 2: Vin Diesel Hints Script Is Being Worked On Now - Screen Rant - April 11th, 2020
- Remembering two members of the Marin music community - Marin Independent Journal - April 11th, 2020
- The Nike Adidas Puma Olympic Battle Will Have to Wait - Barron's - March 26th, 2020
- Christ Provides the Antidote to Fear Amid Coronavirus - National Catholic Register - March 26th, 2020
- The Vampire Diaries: The 10 Most Hated Storylines | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- Today's Gospel in Art - The Annunciation of the Lord - Independent Catholic News - March 26th, 2020
- Doctor Who: The Top 10 Tenth Doctor Episodes, Ranked According to IMDb - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- 48 SECONDS FROM IMMORTALITY: The story of the 1990 Concord Minutemen - Goshen News - March 24th, 2020
- Ginkgo: The Tree of Immortality | NCPR News - North Country Public Radio - March 24th, 2020
- Alex Salmond: from the brink of independence to a court room - FRANCE 24 - March 24th, 2020
- With only 4k miles, this 1982 Mercedes-Benz 300SD will outlive us all - Autoblog - March 24th, 2020
- We're as lonely as a cloud but the Romance isn't dead - The Guardian - March 24th, 2020
- How Altered Carbon: Resleeved Connects to Season 2 | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - March 24th, 2020
- In Times of Crisis, We Need To Inject Reason into Debates over Faith - The Libertarian Republic - March 24th, 2020
- Neutralize COVID-19 hysteria with faith and kindness toward neighbors - Washington Times - March 24th, 2020
- '80s Movie Quotes Every Kid From the '80s Knows By Heart - Best Life - March 24th, 2020
- Questioning the Shutdown | RR Reno - First Things - March 24th, 2020
- Liberty shackled and the future blighted: RIP Europe, 312 - 2020 - The Conservative Woman - March 24th, 2020
- Westworld series refresher, what you need to know before season 3 - Show Snob - March 24th, 2020
- Immortality by 2050: Humans very close to everlasting life - February 27th, 2020
- Sports Perseverance leads Tres Tinkle to cusp of Oregon State immortality Kyle Hansen 9:38 AM - KPAX-TV - February 27th, 2020
- Syracuse basketball has clinched immortality for the 2nd straight season - Inside the Loud House - February 27th, 2020
- Why Dodgers' Great Willie Davis Received a Grand Total of Zero Hall of Fame Votes - Sports Illustrated - February 27th, 2020
- Everything You Need to Know to Watch 'Altered Carbon' Season 2 on Netflix - Newsweek - February 27th, 2020
- Local News Mom spreads kindness to honor her young son who died in 2018 KMTV Staff - KMTV - 3 News Now - February 27th, 2020
- Alfred Jarry at the Morgan Library - Apollo Magazine - February 27th, 2020
- Features | Strange World Of... | The Strange World Of... Tom Smith/ To Live And Shave In LA - The Quietus - February 27th, 2020
- Mocking mediocrity - The New Indian Express - February 27th, 2020
- Three more movies coming in 2020 you need to check out - The Badger Herald - February 27th, 2020
- The Legend of Maula Jatt not for faint hearted, children: Bilal Lashari - The Nation - February 27th, 2020
- The 100-year life: how to prolong a healthy mind - The Guardian - February 27th, 2020
- The Philosophy of Julia Ward Howe - zocalopublicsquare.org - February 27th, 2020
- Story Time: The prophecy of eternity - DAWN.com - February 27th, 2020
- 'Altered Carbon': Takeshi Kovacs is the definitive and imperfect sci-fi hero of this generation - MEAWW - February 27th, 2020
- Celtics will retire Kevin Garnett's No. 5 next season - 98.5 The Sports Hub - February 14th, 2020
- Canucks: Yes, the Sedin twins belong in the Hall of Fame - The Canuck Way - February 14th, 2020
- Should Liverpool start Curtis Jones vs Norwich - Rousing The Kop - Liverpool FC News - February 14th, 2020
- Lost Odyssey Brilliantly Explores The Tragedy Of Being Immortal - Kotaku Australia - February 14th, 2020
- Ageing is 'optional' amid emerging economy for immortality - The National - February 13th, 2020
- Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool close to immortality - but their lasting legacy is already painted across Merseyside - Liverpool Echo - February 13th, 2020
- After Legendary Career With Boston College, Brian Gionta Will Be Immortalized This Weekend - Sports Illustrated - February 13th, 2020
- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: What has the original cast done since? - Metro.co.uk - February 13th, 2020
- Understanding 'Afsos': What Does This Gulshan Devaiah Dark Comedy Want To Say? - Mashable India - February 13th, 2020
- 'Afsos' Review: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells the Tale? - - Rolling Stone India - February 13th, 2020
- Lost Odyssey Brilliantly Explores The Tragedy Of Being Immortal - Kotaku - February 13th, 2020
- Mo Isom speaks on intimacy during Convocation week - Lee Clarion Online - February 13th, 2020
- Popular music festivals from around the world for music lovers - Republic World - Republic World - February 13th, 2020
- Canucks: 3 takeaways from 3-0 shutout win over Blackhawks - The Canuck Way - February 13th, 2020
- In Amazon web series Afsos, black humour and a high body count on the road to immortality - Scroll.in - February 13th, 2020
- Its that time when love is in the air - The New Indian Express - February 13th, 2020
- Ghost Knight: A Dark Tale is a new 2.5D action platformer, powered by Unreal Engine 4 - DSOGaming - February 13th, 2020
- Jenny Offill's Novel Weather Looks at "Climate Dread" with Humor and Plenty of Gloom - TheStranger.com - February 13th, 2020
- The Mysteries of the Sh'ma - Mosaic - February 13th, 2020
- Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones has finally quit smoking - Tone Deaf - February 13th, 2020
- A Cyberpunk 2077 Themed Xbox One Controller Could Be On Its Way - Player.One - February 13th, 2020
- Fame, immortality and a paw: The Tiger Trail - The Auburn Plainsman - January 27th, 2020
- GELFAND: on Tom Brady and Immortality - Zone Coverage - January 27th, 2020
- Remembering Rob Rensenbrink: the overlooked Dutch master who came within inches of immortality - These Football Times - January 27th, 2020
- Stockton at heart of Braden's immortality with A's - MLB.com - January 27th, 2020
- The Good Place FINALLY Revealed (Yep, It's Disappointing) - Screen Rant - January 27th, 2020
- Immortality | Definition of Immortality by Merriam-Webster - January 16th, 2020
- Immortality | Superpower Wiki | Fandom - January 16th, 2020
- Chip Walter is dying for you to read his new book on immortality. Or is he? - NEXTpittsburgh - January 16th, 2020
- Will immortality take place by 2050? | Columns - Grand Haven Tribune - January 16th, 2020
- Immortality: Lowry and Arcidiacono to Have Their Numbers Retired in February - Villanovan - January 16th, 2020
- On the brink of immortality | LSU - American Press - January 16th, 2020