In the not-too-distant future, Americans won't have to drive or even walk very far to find a bitcoin ATM.
Connected to the internet, Bitcoin ATMs resemble traditional ATMs but link to an exchange rather than a bank account. The machines take cash for bitcoin or other digital currencies. Some also let users sell bitcoin for cash.
Most of the transactions involve people paying $300 to $500 to buy a small stake in bitcoin, the price of which has been surging (along with itscarbon emissions), lately trading at a record high near $62,000. Users pay transaction fees that range from 6% to 12%, according to Pamela Clegg, director of financial investigations and education at cryptocurrency compliance firm CipherTrace.
The machines offer a way into the market to those who "may not have the desire or funds to open an account at one of the big exchanges," Clegg said.
Not yet ubiquitous, bitcoin ATMs are in stores, restaurants and airports scattered across the country. They can be found in all but two states Alaska and Vermont as well as in the District of Columbia,according to Coin ATM Radar.
There's already a kiosk offering the world's most popular currency for cash in the gift shop of the Pioneer Auto Museum in Murdo, South Dakota, a town of less than 500 people. "Coin Cloud contacted us," museum owner Vivian Sonder told CBS MoneyWatch. "I told them we're very seasonal and it's kind of quiet right now, and they said 'Nope, that's okay'."
"A few people have used it," Sonder said of the machine installed about five months ago and for which Coin Cloud pays her $200 in rent. "It's not that we're not aware of bitcoin, but we're a tourism and ranching community."
That said, the move to having a bitcoin ATM on every corner is only picking up speed. The count of cryptocurrency ATMs across the U.S. accelerated 85% over the last six months to roughly 14,000 from 7,567 in September 2020, according todata compiled by Trading Platforms.
Las Vegas, Nevada-based Coin Cloud has 1,600 machines offering 35 different digital currencies up and running across the U.S., with another 400 going up this month and plans to have 10,000 installed by the end of the year.
"Our company has grown 400%, 500% every year since 2014 and is self-financed," Chris McAlary, Coin Cloud's founder and CEO of Coin Cloud, said. "The industry has grown out of consumer demand, not because of some VC behind us."
Making an investment is the biggest reason people use the machines, followed by remittance or paying off an invoice, typically an international payment, McAlary said.
"You could buy bitcoin in the U.S. and have it immediately sent to family in another country," so long as there are places to cash it, Clegg said. The transaction fees could be lower than those of other money-transfer companies like Western Union or MoneyGram, she added.
Convenience is also a factor. "A bitcoin ATM is the only way to get bitcoin in under 20 minutes," said Ben Weiss, president and COO of CoinFlip, which like Coin Cloud, pitches its machines to retailers and convenience stops as a way to bring in additional foot traffic and extra income for renting out space. Also in expansion mode, Chicago-based CoinFlip operates 2,000 bitcoin ATMs in 46 states, adding 1,000 of the ATMs in 2020 and another 500 so far this year.
"The reason people use the bitcoin ATMs is there are still a lot of people who are unbanked, or underbanked," added Weiss.
About 7.1 million U.S. households, or 5.4%, did not have a bank account in 2019,according to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. That cash economy has many making weekly treks to cash paychecks. "In smaller town USA, check cashiers are still a real thing," said Clegg.
Consumers should consider the transaction fees and locations of bitcoin ATMs, with some operators more scrupulous than others, said Clegg, who also cautioned those using the machines to buy digital currency to first check what it's fetching online.
See the rest here:
Bitcoins, coming soon to an ATM near you? - CBS News
- Bitcoin vs. Ethereum: 10 experts told us which asset they'd rather hold, and why - Markets Insider - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC USD) Cryptocurrency Price: Bank of England Warns of Full Losses - Bloomberg - May 9th, 2021
- SEC Chairman Gary Gensler says more investor protections are needed for bitcoin and crypto markets - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Forget Bitcoin: Here are The Crypto Assets To Follow - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- Should you invest in Bitcoin or Ether? - The National - May 9th, 2021
- Downtown Josh Brown on bitcoin and wealth management - The Block Crypto - May 9th, 2021
- Mark Cuban: The 3 ways Ethereum 'dwarfs' bitcoin - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Metromile Will Embrace Bitcoin For Insurance Premium And Claim Payments - Forbes - May 9th, 2021
- FBI: Knoxville man paid hitman in Bitcoin to kill his wife - WATE 6 On Your Side - May 9th, 2021
- S&P Dow Jones brings bitcoin, ethereum to Wall St with cryptocurrency indexes - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin Association releases 2020 annual report highlighting work and achievements advancing Bitcoin SV - GlobeNewswire - May 9th, 2021
- S&P Dow Jones brings bitcoin, ethereum to Wall St with cryptocurrency indexes - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2021
- 3 reasons why Bitcoin is on shaky ground after failing to retake $60K - Cointelegraph - May 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC) Attempts to Create Higher Low After Rejection - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin Association releases 2020 annual report highlighting work and achievements advancing Bitcoin SV - WFMZ Allentown - May 4th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Clamor: Paying Employees in Bitcoin Has Reached the Mainstream - JD Supra - May 4th, 2021
- More Than 1600 Participate In Mays Innovation Research Center Bitcoin Conference - Texas A&M Today - Texas A&M University Today - May 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin Rebounds After Hitting Lowest Level Since March - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Crypto Dominance Declines as Ether Soars Past $3,000 - Bloomberg - May 3rd, 2021
- If You Bought $1,000 Worth of Bitcoin a Year Ago, Here's How Much You'd Have Today - The Motley Fool - May 3rd, 2021
- Charlie Munger 'hates' bitcoin's rise: 'disgusting and contrary to interests of civilization' - MarketWatch - May 3rd, 2021
- Will Bitcoin replace gold as the ultimate store of wealth? - ABC News - May 3rd, 2021
- Leak Reveals Millions Of PayPal And Robinhood Bitcoin Buyers May Soon Want To Make A Surprising Switch Amid Bitcoin Price Mania - Forbes - May 3rd, 2021
- Digital currency ether hits a record high, stealing bitcoin's limelight - CNBC - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Crash vs. Correction: Do You Know the Difference? - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2021
- Why Care About Bitcoin? Here's One Philosopher's Take - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Is Number One Pick Asset Manager Confident BTC Will Take Him 'to the Top' in Stock Draft Competition Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Taproot Upgrade Has Started Its Speedy Trial - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2021
- Feds arrest founder of bitcoin mixer they say laundered $335 million over ten years - The Verge - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Illuminates Inflation In The Fog - Bitcoin Magazine - May 3rd, 2021
- Tesla Reports Record Earnings, With More Than A Bit Of Help From Bitcoin - NPR - May 3rd, 2021
- UBS Chief Economist Says 'Bitcoin Is Denied to Minority Groups Who Have Reduced Online Access' News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 3rd, 2021
- Ether Should Outperform Bitcoin Over the Long Run, Says JPMorgan - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2021
- 19 Stocks With Exposure to Bitcoin - Barron's - May 3rd, 2021
- Mila Kunis warned Ashton Kutcher against investing in Uber and Bitcoin - Insider - May 3rd, 2021
- Over $200 billion wiped off cryptocurrency market in a day as bitcoin plunges below $50,000 - CNBC - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin drops below $50,000, dented in part by rising U.S. tax worries - MarketWatch - April 23rd, 2021
- Behind Bitcoins Recent Slide: Imploding Bets and Forced Liquidations - The Wall Street Journal - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin bears are stalking crypto prices --- here's how low they could go - MarketWatch - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin is at its lowest level in nearly a month. 2 experts explain why they see more weakness ahead. - Markets Insider - April 23rd, 2021
- First Mideast Bitcoin ETF Aims to Raise More Than $200 Million - Bloomberg - April 23rd, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is Making Its Way onto the Balance Sheet - ETF Trends - April 23rd, 2021
- Women Step Up Trading in Bitcoin, Other Cryptocurrencies - The Wall Street Journal - April 23rd, 2021
- Here's where you can shop with Bitcoin and other crypto - Yahoo Money - April 23rd, 2021
- Why is ethereum on a tear of late, outperforming bitcoin? - Mint - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Association appoints new ambassadors for Japan and the South Pacific to advance Bitcoin SV - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Dogecoin Falls Below 20 Cents, Bitcoin Below $50K Amid Wide Sell-Off, But These Two Cryptos Are On A Run Today - Benzinga - April 23rd, 2021
- UK to explore issuing its own digital currency amid bitcoin boom - CNBC - April 23rd, 2021
- Bill Gates betting on total collapse of Bitcoin as cryptocurrency slumps: Analysts - Republic TV - April 23rd, 2021
- JPMorgan warns of bitcoin weakness as futures get liquidated - Economic Times - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin rally this year is the start of going mainstream, not a bubble, says investor Bill Miller - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- After a wild weekend, bitcoin could take a breather before the next move higher - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- Bitcoin's sell-off by the numbers: Oppenheimer puts the latest drop into perspective - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- During Bitcoins Latest Price Crash, Tether Premium Shows Where Money Went - Yahoo Finance - April 21st, 2021
- Bitcoins nosedive: What happened and whats ahead? - Fox Business - April 21st, 2021
- Mark Cuban says bitcoin is far from its market top: 'The opportunity for it to go much higher certainly exists' - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- Visualizing the Power Consumption of Bitcoin Mining - Visualcapitalist - Visual Capitalist - April 21st, 2021
- Fund managers think bitcoin is in a bubble, but not equities - Mint - April 21st, 2021
- We're closer to a bitcoin ETF, 'but were not all the way there yet,' market analyst says - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- Do You Need a Crypto Wallet to Store Your Bitcoin? - Motley Fool - April 21st, 2021
- Bitcoin Plunges, Taking Other Cryptocurrencies With It - Yahoo Finance - April 21st, 2021
- Avoid Overvalued Coinbase: Buy These 10 Best Crypto, Bitcoin Stocks Instead - Yahoo Finance - April 21st, 2021
- Bitcoin ETF From 3iQ and CoinShares, Canadas 4th, Begins Trading on TSX - Yahoo Finance - April 21st, 2021
- Federal Reserve Bank President Says Bitcoin Is Clearly a Store of Value Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 21st, 2021
- FinanceFactbox: Bitcoin's march to the mainstream gathers pace - Reuters - April 21st, 2021
- GameStop and Bitcoin Renewed a Push to Digitize the Stock Market - The Wall Street Journal - April 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin exchange Kraken considers going public after record trading volumes in the first quarter - CNBC - April 9th, 2021
- At $60,000, Is Bitcoin Too Expensive? - Motley Fool - April 9th, 2021
- 'We've reached a tipping point' on bitcoin adoption, Fidelity's Tom Jessop says - MarketWatch - April 9th, 2021
- This Financial Advisor Thinks Bitcoin Could Be Headed for Mass Adoption - Motley Fool - April 9th, 2021
- Is there a future for bitcoin? An investor and a skeptic debate - The Verge - April 9th, 2021
- Fidelity Says Bitcoin Adoption Will Keep Accelerating 'We've Reached a Tipping Point' Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 9th, 2021
- The IRS wants to know all about your Bitcoin holdings --- and this court summons is a reminder - MarketWatch - April 9th, 2021
- Gold, Stocks, and Bitcoin: Weekly Overview April 8 - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2021
- BIGtoken to Host Webinar on Thursday, April 15, 2021 to Discuss Bitcoin 2021 and Beyond - Business Wire - April 9th, 2021
- Kevin OLeary says he will only buy bitcoin mined with clean energy, and none mined in China - CNBC - April 9th, 2021
- Ripple Granted Access to SEC Documents on Bitcoin, Ether in Ongoing XRP Fight - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2021
- Why the Market is Thinking About Bitcoin Differently - Visual Capitalist - April 9th, 2021
- Texas A&M Mays Innovation Research Center To Host Bitcoin Conference April 16-17 - Texas A&M University Today - April 9th, 2021
- Economist Says Bitcoin Isn't Too Big to Fail Warns BTC Can Only Establish Itself if Governments Allow It Regulation - Bitcoin News - April 9th, 2021