Hermione Granger | Moment | Getty Images
Bitcoin has done it again the cryptocurrency topped $20,000 Wednesday to reach its second record in three weeks and its highest level since 2017.
The digital currency has been on a tear this year and is now up more than 180%, driven in part by new institutional support and low interest rates stemming from Covid-19.
Bitcoin believers see it surging even further. Galaxy Digital CEO Michael Novogratz, a longtime cryptocurrency bull, sees bitcoin skyrocketing to as much as $55,000 or $60,000 by the end of next year in a continuation of its epic rally.
More from Invest in You:Blended families already had unique issues. Then the pandemic hitExpecting a baby? Make these financial moves nowHow to navigate uncomfortable money matters with your family
Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss, also early bitcoin investors and co-founders of Gemini, a crypto-exchange, think the currency could someday hit $500,000 as more people use it as a hedge for inflation instead of gold.
But for a majority of investors, financial planners are hesitant to advise putting a large chunk of a portfolio into bitcoin.
"It's critically important to understand the risks associated with it," said certified financial planner Douglas Boneparth, founder and president ofBone Fide Wealth in New York, adding that bitcoin is a highly speculative asset despite encouraging headlines.
"You don't need to look too far back in time to see how volatile it can be," said Boneparth, who is also a member of the CNBC Advisor Council.
Many financial advisors get questions about bitcoin from investors that don't know a lot about the cryptocurrency and have just heard about it in the news.
It can be easy to have FOMO, or fear of missing out, on the latest hot investing trend, according to Roger Ma, CFP and founder of New York-based financial planning firmlifelaidout.
It's best to keep your goals in mind before putting money into a fad investment, which could be something like bitcoin, a commodity like gold or the latest hot stock that's taking off.
That includes understanding your net worth, living expenses and credit score, said Ma. From there, he recommends assessing where you are with other prerequisites to investing do you have an emergency fund, are you paying down debt, contributing to retirement and on track for other financial goals?
Bitcoin produces no earnings, it pays no dividends, it pays no interest, so it's not really an investment in the traditional sense.
founder of Laminar Wealth
"What does your portfolio need to do to be able achieve your short- and long-term goals and for you to be able to lead your rich life?" said Ma. "If your plan relies on your portfolio returning 50% to 100% a year, it might make sense to rejigger your plan to make it a little more feasible."
Also keep in mind that once something is making headlines or breaking records, it could be at the end of its run and be relatively expensive meaning it's not a good time to buy in.
"The problem is that everyone wants to buy when things are at all-time highs," said Anjali Jariwala, a CFP and CPA and founder of Fit Advisors in Torrance, California. "We should have investment decisions driven by things that we can control versus having it driven by emotion or feeling towards certain investments."
To be sure, some people will still want to invest in bitcoin.
Before putting money into bitcoin, it's important to do your research and understand as much as you can about the asset class.
"Bitcoin produces no earnings, it pays no dividends, it pays no interest, so it's not really an investment in the traditional sense," said David Oransky, CFP and founder of Laminar Wealth in St. Louis. "Its value is purely dependent on what someone else is going to pay for it in the future.
We should have investment decisions driven by things that we can control versus having it driven by emotion or feeling towards certain investments
founder, Fit Advisors
"It's very different than investing in stocks, where you're investing in the future earnings of the company that produces goods and services."
In addition, investors should research how to actually buy into bitcoin and withdraw money, as it's not something they can get through a traditional brokerage account.
"It's still kind of the 'Wild, Wild West' out there and that should scare people that don't know a lot about it," said Oransky.
Once you've done your research and know you want to invest, financial advisors say that bitcoin shouldn't be a major part of your portfolio. Instead, it should be a less than 5% position that's thought of more as play money to be allocated toward fun investing and not tied to a goal such as retirement.
"It helps a person get their fix without disrupting their financial plan and achieving their financial goals," said Ma.
If you do want to have a bit of play money in your investment account, make sure it's an amount you're comfortable with going to zero, said Oransky.
"If you want to buy a lottery ticket and this is the ticket you want to buy, that's fine," he said.
SIGN UP: Money 101 is an 8-week learning course to financial freedom, delivered weekly to your inbox.
CHECK OUT: I have 9 side hustles and bring in up to $4,000 each month: Here's my best advice viaGrow with Acorns+CNBC.
Disclosure: NBCUniversal and Comcast Ventures are investors in Acorns.
Continue reading here:
Bitcoin just hit $20,000 for the first time ever. Should you invest? - CNBC
- GameStop and Bitcoin Renewed a Push to Digitize the Stock Market - The Wall Street Journal - April 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin exchange Kraken considers going public after record trading volumes in the first quarter - CNBC - April 9th, 2021
- At $60,000, Is Bitcoin Too Expensive? - Motley Fool - April 9th, 2021
- 'We've reached a tipping point' on bitcoin adoption, Fidelity's Tom Jessop says - MarketWatch - April 9th, 2021
- This Financial Advisor Thinks Bitcoin Could Be Headed for Mass Adoption - Motley Fool - April 9th, 2021
- Is there a future for bitcoin? An investor and a skeptic debate - The Verge - April 9th, 2021
- Fidelity Says Bitcoin Adoption Will Keep Accelerating 'We've Reached a Tipping Point' Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 9th, 2021
- The IRS wants to know all about your Bitcoin holdings --- and this court summons is a reminder - MarketWatch - April 9th, 2021
- Gold, Stocks, and Bitcoin: Weekly Overview April 8 - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2021
- BIGtoken to Host Webinar on Thursday, April 15, 2021 to Discuss Bitcoin 2021 and Beyond - Business Wire - April 9th, 2021
- Kevin OLeary says he will only buy bitcoin mined with clean energy, and none mined in China - CNBC - April 9th, 2021
- Ripple Granted Access to SEC Documents on Bitcoin, Ether in Ongoing XRP Fight - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2021
- Why the Market is Thinking About Bitcoin Differently - Visual Capitalist - April 9th, 2021
- Texas A&M Mays Innovation Research Center To Host Bitcoin Conference April 16-17 - Texas A&M University Today - April 9th, 2021
- Economist Says Bitcoin Isn't Too Big to Fail Warns BTC Can Only Establish Itself if Governments Allow It Regulation - Bitcoin News - April 9th, 2021
- More companies are accepting bitcoin, including PayPal and Xbox - Business Insider - April 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin And Crypto Market Smashes Through $2 Trillion As The Price Of Ethereum, Binance Coin, Litecoin And Ripples XRP Suddenly Soar - Forbes - April 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin: The Aperture Of Money - Bitcoin Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Chipotle is giving away burritos and Bitcoin. Heres how to play - WBTW - April 2nd, 2021
- Ether Rises to Record as Crypto Rally Broadens Beyond Bitcoin - Bloomberg - April 2nd, 2021
- Chipotle giving away $100,000 in free burritos and $100,000 in Bitcoin today - syracuse.com - April 2nd, 2021
- Will Bitcoin Ever Become Truly Mainstream? - Motley Fool - April 2nd, 2021
- CoinShares Partners With Canadas 3iQ to Launch New Bitcoin ETF on TSX - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- Could Bitcoin Solve The Oil Flaring Problem? - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- Irish Police Investigate Massive Bitcoin Scam That Allegedly Stole Millions From High-Net-Worth Individuals News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 2nd, 2021
- Why Is Ethereum Surging, Outperforming Bitcoin Today? - Benzinga - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin miners and fracking companies are working together - Quartz - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Unleashes The Sovereign Individual - Bitcoin Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH): Hows It Differ From Bitcoin and Whats It Worth? - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- BNY Mellon Report Compares Bitcoin and Gold, Study Says 'Gold Is the Only Globally Accepted Currency' Economics Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin's Got Talent crew talks Bitcoin culture and development on CoinGeek Weekly Livestream episode 8 - CoinGeek - April 2nd, 2021
- The Power of ETH and BCH: Smart Bitcoin Cash Project Highlights Innovative Sidechain Technology Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin uses as much energy as Sweden and is on course to use even more - Business Insider - April 2nd, 2021
- A Crypto Exchange Weighs Going Public. Bitcoin Is Just That Hot. - Barron's - March 31st, 2021
- Cathie Wood On Bitcoin: '$1 Trillion Is Nothing Compared To Where This Will Ultimately Be' - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Marathon Digital Holdings to Launch the First North American-Based Bitcoin Mining Pool, Fully Compliant with U.S. Regulations - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Bitcoin for Babe Ruth? Sports auction house will accept crypto - Aljazeera.com - March 31st, 2021
- Bitcoin ETF Proposals: The SEC's Long History Of Rejections - Benzinga - March 31st, 2021
- Spanish Island Government Decides to Sell Its Bitcoin Investment by Citing 'Ethical' Reasons News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - March 31st, 2021
- If History Is Any Indication, $200,000 Bitcoin Is Coming In 2021 - Bitcoin Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Here's When the Winklevoss Twins First Discovered Bitcoin - The Motley Fool - March 31st, 2021
- HashWatt.io - HashWatt Sustainable Bitcoin Mining and Captive ESG Energy Development Company announces completion of 2nd financing round to expand... - March 31st, 2021
- Bitcoin draws millions of workers sending their money abroad - Quartz Africa - March 31st, 2021
- Everything you need to know about bitcoin and the crypto revolution underway - MarketWatch - March 31st, 2021
- ARK Invest CEO Cathie Wood On Bitcoin: "$1 Trillion Is Nothing" - Bitcoin Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Ray Dalio: The government 'outlawing bitcoin is a good probability' - CNBC - March 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin draws millions of workers sending their money abroad - Quartz - March 26th, 2021
- Jack Dorsey wants the entire world to know hes got a bitcoin clock - The Verge - March 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin options worth $6bn expiring today: What does it mean for investors? - Mint - March 26th, 2021
- One Ultra-Rare Metal Is Doing Much Better Than Bitcoin This Year - Bloomberg - March 26th, 2021
- Dalio on Bitcoin: 'Good Probability' It Will 'Outlawed' by US Gov - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin ETF The race to follow the trend - Mint - March 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin, crypto investors will be watching these 5 questions facing the Biden administration - MarketWatch - March 26th, 2021
- Guide: What is Bitcoin and how does it work? - CBBC Newsround - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin could surge to $300,000 but winter could last for years when the bubble bursts, says crypto entrepreneur - CNBC - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC) ETF: Fidelity Applies for Fund That Tracks the Cryptocurrency - Bloomberg - March 25th, 2021
- Wall Street banks diverge in views on bitcoin boom - Financial Times - March 25th, 2021
- Good probability the U.S. will outlaw bitcoin: Ray Dalio - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin volatility is here to stay, top technician warns - CNBC - March 25th, 2021
- Blockchain.com Raises $300 Million as Investors Find Other Ways Into Bitcoin - The Wall Street Journal - March 25th, 2021
- NYDIG Cuts Total Cost of Bitcoin Access to 0.30% - PRNewswire - March 25th, 2021
- Norway is the worlds most cashless country but its central bank isn't keen on bitcoin: 'It doesnt preserve stability' - CNBC - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin-Based DeFi Project Sovryn Near Agreement on $10M Investment From Pomp - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2021
- Mystery Whale Moves 20 Bitcoin Block Rewards from 2010, Entity Moved 10000 BTC Since Last Year Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoins, coming soon to an ATM near you? - CBS News - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin Is All the Rage, But DeFi Could Be Even Bigger - ETFdb.com - ETFdb.com - March 25th, 2021
- Bank Of America Calls Bitcoin 'Impractical,' And Crypto Community Has A Lot To Say About That - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2021
- Stock Market Today With Jim Cramer: Tesla and Bitcoin - TheStreet - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin, Tesla And GameStop: Ten Numbers That Sum Up The Fastest Market Recovery Ever - Forbes - March 25th, 2021
- 'Demand to surge': Expert's $70,000 Bitcoin prediction - Yahoo Finance Australia - February 12th, 2021
- Uber wont buy bitcoin with its cash but would consider accepting it as payment, CEO says - CNBC - February 12th, 2021
- Beyond Bitcoin: The wild world of altcoin cryptocurrency trading - CNET - February 12th, 2021
- Long-awaited bitcoin ETF could finally get approved this year, market analyst says - CNBC - February 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin outlook: the long term picture looks very sound - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2021
- Fintech giant Adyen says it has no interest in bitcoin as a payment method and clients aren't asking for it - CNBC - February 12th, 2021
- Dollar headed for weekly loss, bitcoin hits record $49,000 - CNBC - February 12th, 2021
- 7 public companies with exposure to bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2021
- Not Just Bitcoin, Paypal's Vision Involves Central Bank Digital Currencies Too: What You Need To Know - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2021
- The Grayscale Bitcoin Trust: What It Is and How It Works - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2021
- BlockFi Launches the BlockFi Bitcoin Trust - PRNewswire - PRNewswire - February 12th, 2021