Rule III: Do Not Hide Inflation in the Fog
A reimagination of Beyond Order by Jordan Peterson through the lens of Bitcoin.
This writing mirrors the exact chronological structure of Beyond Order, offering reflection through a Bitcoin lens. This is part 3 of a 12-part series. If you read the book, it adds a second dimension. All quotes credited to Jordan Peterson. All reflections inspired by Satoshi Nakamoto.
Do not pretend you are happy with something if you are not, and if a reasonable solution might, in principle, be negotiated. Have the damn fight.
Governments assume the guise of the savior handing out trillions in stimulus money. When prices rise, they deny. Dont pretend to be happy with your countrys monetary policy if you are not. The wealthy who already own assets get richer, the middle-class savers lose purchasing power, and the lower class watch the little they have vanish. The government is not here to save you. All currencies are being debased. Central banks are in a race to the bottom. The United States is printing with such intensity the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis (FRED) discontinued updates to its M1 Money Stock and M2 Money Stock charts. This censorship hides the unwanted in the fog.
Bitcoin gives the ordinary worker a fighting chance. Check out John Vallis podcast on Decentralized Grazing. His guests, UntappedGrowth and BitcoinAndCows, apply the Bitcoin ethos, restoring Americas soil bank, earning self-sovereignty and sidestepping fiat debt. His model forms a mutually beneficial trinity between investors, ranchers and landowners, who serve their own interests but create exponentially more fruit together through the wisdom of low time preference collaboration. That clears the fog. It puts the farmers and ranchers back to being caretakers of the soil instead of strip miners. This allows them to become stewards again because they are providing for themselves not just today but for tomorrow. Landowners by healing the land, herd owners by preserving the heritage cattle, and ranchers by doing the work. All together as one. Its easier to aim at a brighter future when you step outside the fiat fog.
Have the damn fight, because you may not be able to take advantage of monetary debasement but monetary debasement is taking advantage of you. Adopt a Bitcoin state of mind and learn how to negotiate a better solution for yourself.
Life is what repeats, and it is worth getting what repeats right.
We are creatures of habit and routine. We use currency throughout our days. Its worth getting the money right. When a better option presents itself with a low barrier to entry, it is your burden to bear if you do not seize that opportunity. An easy on-ramp is with the Fold App, a bitcoin rewards program for your fiat spending. Change your reward system: change your life without changing your day-to-day.
It is difficult to win an argument, or even begin one, if you have not carefully articulated what you want (or do not) and need (or do not).
Bitcoin exists in many layers of resolution. Figuring out where to start can be confusing. My breakthrough came from reading The Internet of Money series by Andreas Antonopoulos. It is a quick read that covers both the problem and the solution at a high level. Lay this foundation and you will be able to carefully articulate what you want and do not want.
However, it is the easiest of matters, particularly in the short term, to ignore the prick of conscience and let the small defeats slide, day after day. This is not a good strategy.
We all accept unfavorable status quos, including our money. In 2008, we were all taken aback when the government announced plans to print billions to stabilize markets. In 2020, billions became trillions. These stimulus plans are sold as short-term solutions conveniently omitting the detrimental long-term consequences. Like the fable of the boiling frog, we are being slowly boiled alive. No-coiners hypocritically claim the intellectual high ground. They complain about the unjust disparity caused by our monetary system and simultaneously plead ignorance to their participation as the accomplice looking for their handout. This short-term relief is not a good long-term strategy. It is desperate high time preference thinking. Recalibrate your lifestyle toward low time preference and youll be on your path to prosperity.
People generally believe that actively doing something bad (that is a sin of commission) is, on average, worse than passively not doing something good (that is the sin of omission).
We all witnessed Wall Street commit crimes of commission against the r/wallstreetbets community over GameStop. It is bad enough that our money is being debased but GameStop adds insult to injury. When institutions collude in broad daylight, it inalienably exposes the asymmetrical game we all play just to stay ahead of inflation. Wall Street has created wealth for Boomers for decades, but their past success leaves them vulnerable to normalcy bias. Whats worked in the past no longer applies when something larger than Wall Street comes along. That thing is bitcoin. Bitcoiners have long memories and time continues to vindicate us. The internet never forgets and the writing is on the wall, continue ignoring bitcoin and trusting the bankers on Wall Street at your own peril. Heres a snapshot of how it started and how its going.
Dancing on graves is, admittedly, unsportsmanlike conduct and a Bitcoin pastime. It is in poor taste, but I sympathize with the fact that Bitcoiners have endured years of ridicule by everyone. What can I say besides this is that we are all victims of our pride. Buy bitcoin if you prefer dancing on graves to becoming a cautionary tale. Refusal to add bitcoin to your portfolio to protect your pride (or staying on the sidelines because you take issue with Bitcoiners dancing on graves) is a lie of omission where you are both the actor and the victim.
you are afraid that if you specify what you want precisely you will simultaneously discover (and all too clearly) what constitutes failure; you are afraid that failure is the most likely outcome; and, finally, you are afraid that if you define failure and then fail, you will know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was you that failed, and that is was your fault.
Kobe Bryant dominated because he knew our generation is soft like Charmin. Society is littered with leaders who actively minimize skin in the game while attempting to maximize gains. Weve exchanged human courage for computed risk adjustment. Bitcoin is a terrifying proposition to those individuals who have built careers on shirking responsibility while still capturing upside. In Bitcoin, you are the backstop. Bitcoin has no FDIC insurance. Bitcoins have infamously been lost forever. Mistakes tend to be terminal. Bitcoin ownership is similar to gun ownership. Its a serious commitment and the consequence of failure falls squarely on your shoulders. That level of full responsibility removes weak hands or calluses them natural selection. As the Bitcoin adage goes, Not your keys, not your bitcoin. Buy a hardware wallet. Learn to use multisig service like Unchained Capital and reduce the finality of mistakes take on the burden of responsibility and clear the fog.
The fog that hides is the refusal to notice to attend to emotions and motivational states as they arise, and the refusal to communicate them both to yourself and to the people who are close to you.
All investors misread markets leading to missed opportunities. The worst investors insist on staying on the sidelines after new information is revealed. Weve all doubled down on a bad position to appease our pride. Are you certain bitcoin is a scam? Or are you certain your financial woes can be overcome by doubling down on fiat currency? Put your cards on the table and be honest with yourself.
Best to find out what is true best to disperse the fog and find out if the sharp objects you feared were lurking there are real or fantastical. And there is always the danger that some of them are real. But it is better to see them than to keep them occluded by the fog, because you can at least sometimes avoid the danger that you are willing to see.
There is no end to Bitcoin FUD. Mainstream media has celebrated Bitcoin obituaries since Bitcoins birth. To know the truth requires searching through the fog first hand. That is the best way to turn confusion into clarity. Part of clearing the fog surrounding bitcoin is knowing that owning bitcoin can be dangerous but not owning bitcoin can be deadly. Disperse the fog so you know if bitcoin can work to your advantage.
We want to know what happened but, more importantly, we want to know why. Why is wisdom. Why enables us to avoid making the same mistake again and again, and if we are fortunate helps us repeat our successes.
Its good to know what purpose bitcoin serves, better to know how it works, and best to know why bitcoin matters. Why takes you to the level of architecture. The architect recognizes invisible patterns and has the ability to modify intelligently without jeopardizing collapse. An -80% downturn is sufficient to shake out most who simply know what bitcoin is as well as how it works. Knowing why bitcoin matters is the only path to unshakeable conviction capable of HODLing through an -80% downturn. Bitcoin maximalists who understand why it matters hold for reasons beyond price. Fiat currencies are a blueprint for obsolescence. Bitcoin is a blueprint for predictable success: Plan Bs Stock to Flow model predictably traces halving cycles. Bitcoin creates positive feedback loops.
Do not hide inflation in the fog.
This is a guest post by Nelson Chen. Opinions expressed are entirely their own and do not necessarily reflect those of BTC, Inc. or Bitcoin Magazine.
Read the original post:
Bitcoin Illuminates Inflation In The Fog - Bitcoin Magazine
- If you're thinking about investing in bitcoin, consider these risks first If you've gotten - CNBC - June 6th, 2021
- Elon Musk has been dragging Bitcoin where it dreaded to go - Mint - June 6th, 2021
- Square will invest $5 million to build solar-powered bitcoin mining facility - The Verge - June 6th, 2021
- We Own Our Money': Bitcoin Conference In Miami Is The Biggest Yet - NBC 6 South Florida - June 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin falls on fear of Weibo suspending some crypto accounts - Economic Times - June 6th, 2021
- Why Bitcoins wild ride bodes well for the future of digital cash - Business Standard - June 6th, 2021
- View: Elon Musk is pulling Bitcoin where it loathed to go - Economic Times - June 6th, 2021
- Few, if any, financial advisers expected to recommend bitcoin and dogecoin to clients --- here's how many now suggest buying crypto - MarketWatch - June 6th, 2021
- (BTC USD) Bitcoin, Crypto Unlikely to Escape Regulation: Riksbank Governor - Bloomberg - June 6th, 2021
- The real price of the bitcoin gold rush - Finextra - Finextra - Finextra - Finextra - May 14th, 2021
- Bitcoin Isn't Behaving as an Inflation Hedge. Its Move Still Makes Sense - Bloomberg - May 14th, 2021
- ETF Wrap: Is a new 'crypto' fund the long-awaited bitcoin ETF in disguise - MarketWatch - May 14th, 2021
- Here's How Much Square Is Relying on Bitcoin - Motley Fool - May 14th, 2021
- Brex Partners With TravelBank To Launch Bitcoin And Ether Rewards Program For Businesses - Forbes - May 14th, 2021
- Australian man Craig Wright who says he created bitcoin takes 4bn claim to London high court - The Guardian - May 14th, 2021
- SEC Warns of Bitcoin Futures Risks in Mutual Fund Investments - Bloomberg - May 14th, 2021
- Will We Have a Bitcoin ETF This Year - Bloomberg - May 14th, 2021
- If Bitcoin Doesnt Rally Soon The Selloff Will Be Devastating - Forbes - May 11th, 2021
- Bitcoin SV: The Original Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- Is There A Bitcoin Supply Shortage? - Bitcoin Magazine - May 11th, 2021
- This bitcoin misconception could be what takes it to $250,000, according to Morgan Creeks Yusko - CNBC - May 11th, 2021
- Factbox: Bitcoin's march towards the mainstream - Reuters - May 11th, 2021
- Crypto This Week: Mark Zuckerberg Names His Goat Bitcoin and Dogecoin Goes to the Moon - TheStreet - May 11th, 2021
- CME says more than 100000 micro bitcoin futures traded in first six days - Reuters - May 11th, 2021
- Why Some Money Experts Believe In Bitcoin and Others Dont - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- A Privacy Standard In Bitcoin, And How It Will Protect Bitcoin Users - Bitcoin Magazine - May 11th, 2021
- Dogelon Mars, Shiba Inu and Dogecoin take the lead as Bitcoin consolidates - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2021
- My dad wants to invest in Bitcoin. Should he? - NJ.com - May 11th, 2021
- Bitcoin vs. Ethereum: 10 experts told us which asset they'd rather hold, and why - Markets Insider - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC USD) Cryptocurrency Price: Bank of England Warns of Full Losses - Bloomberg - May 9th, 2021
- SEC Chairman Gary Gensler says more investor protections are needed for bitcoin and crypto markets - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Forget Bitcoin: Here are The Crypto Assets To Follow - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- Should you invest in Bitcoin or Ether? - The National - May 9th, 2021
- Downtown Josh Brown on bitcoin and wealth management - The Block Crypto - May 9th, 2021
- Mark Cuban: The 3 ways Ethereum 'dwarfs' bitcoin - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Metromile Will Embrace Bitcoin For Insurance Premium And Claim Payments - Forbes - May 9th, 2021
- FBI: Knoxville man paid hitman in Bitcoin to kill his wife - WATE 6 On Your Side - May 9th, 2021
- S&P Dow Jones brings bitcoin, ethereum to Wall St with cryptocurrency indexes - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin Association releases 2020 annual report highlighting work and achievements advancing Bitcoin SV - GlobeNewswire - May 9th, 2021
- S&P Dow Jones brings bitcoin, ethereum to Wall St with cryptocurrency indexes - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2021
- 3 reasons why Bitcoin is on shaky ground after failing to retake $60K - Cointelegraph - May 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC) Attempts to Create Higher Low After Rejection - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin Association releases 2020 annual report highlighting work and achievements advancing Bitcoin SV - WFMZ Allentown - May 4th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Clamor: Paying Employees in Bitcoin Has Reached the Mainstream - JD Supra - May 4th, 2021
- More Than 1600 Participate In Mays Innovation Research Center Bitcoin Conference - Texas A&M Today - Texas A&M University Today - May 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin Rebounds After Hitting Lowest Level Since March - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Crypto Dominance Declines as Ether Soars Past $3,000 - Bloomberg - May 3rd, 2021
- If You Bought $1,000 Worth of Bitcoin a Year Ago, Here's How Much You'd Have Today - The Motley Fool - May 3rd, 2021
- Charlie Munger 'hates' bitcoin's rise: 'disgusting and contrary to interests of civilization' - MarketWatch - May 3rd, 2021
- Will Bitcoin replace gold as the ultimate store of wealth? - ABC News - May 3rd, 2021
- Leak Reveals Millions Of PayPal And Robinhood Bitcoin Buyers May Soon Want To Make A Surprising Switch Amid Bitcoin Price Mania - Forbes - May 3rd, 2021
- Digital currency ether hits a record high, stealing bitcoin's limelight - CNBC - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Crash vs. Correction: Do You Know the Difference? - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2021
- Why Care About Bitcoin? Here's One Philosopher's Take - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Is Number One Pick Asset Manager Confident BTC Will Take Him 'to the Top' in Stock Draft Competition Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Taproot Upgrade Has Started Its Speedy Trial - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2021
- Feds arrest founder of bitcoin mixer they say laundered $335 million over ten years - The Verge - May 3rd, 2021
- Tesla Reports Record Earnings, With More Than A Bit Of Help From Bitcoin - NPR - May 3rd, 2021
- UBS Chief Economist Says 'Bitcoin Is Denied to Minority Groups Who Have Reduced Online Access' News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 3rd, 2021
- Ether Should Outperform Bitcoin Over the Long Run, Says JPMorgan - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2021
- 19 Stocks With Exposure to Bitcoin - Barron's - May 3rd, 2021
- Mila Kunis warned Ashton Kutcher against investing in Uber and Bitcoin - Insider - May 3rd, 2021
- Over $200 billion wiped off cryptocurrency market in a day as bitcoin plunges below $50,000 - CNBC - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin drops below $50,000, dented in part by rising U.S. tax worries - MarketWatch - April 23rd, 2021
- Behind Bitcoins Recent Slide: Imploding Bets and Forced Liquidations - The Wall Street Journal - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin bears are stalking crypto prices --- here's how low they could go - MarketWatch - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin is at its lowest level in nearly a month. 2 experts explain why they see more weakness ahead. - Markets Insider - April 23rd, 2021
- First Mideast Bitcoin ETF Aims to Raise More Than $200 Million - Bloomberg - April 23rd, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is Making Its Way onto the Balance Sheet - ETF Trends - April 23rd, 2021
- Women Step Up Trading in Bitcoin, Other Cryptocurrencies - The Wall Street Journal - April 23rd, 2021
- Here's where you can shop with Bitcoin and other crypto - Yahoo Money - April 23rd, 2021
- Why is ethereum on a tear of late, outperforming bitcoin? - Mint - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Association appoints new ambassadors for Japan and the South Pacific to advance Bitcoin SV - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Dogecoin Falls Below 20 Cents, Bitcoin Below $50K Amid Wide Sell-Off, But These Two Cryptos Are On A Run Today - Benzinga - April 23rd, 2021
- UK to explore issuing its own digital currency amid bitcoin boom - CNBC - April 23rd, 2021
- Bill Gates betting on total collapse of Bitcoin as cryptocurrency slumps: Analysts - Republic TV - April 23rd, 2021
- JPMorgan warns of bitcoin weakness as futures get liquidated - Economic Times - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin rally this year is the start of going mainstream, not a bubble, says investor Bill Miller - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- After a wild weekend, bitcoin could take a breather before the next move higher - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- Bitcoin's sell-off by the numbers: Oppenheimer puts the latest drop into perspective - CNBC - April 21st, 2021