CAMBRIDGE, Mass. and FUCHU-SHI, Tokyo, May 12, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Biogen Inc (Nasdaq: BIIB) and TMS Co., Ltd. announced today that Biogen exercised its option to acquire TMS-007, an investigational drug for acute ischemic stroke, from TMS. Biogens decision to acquire TMS-007 was based on positive data from a Phase 2a study. The study met its primary safety objective with no incidence of symptomatic intracranial hemorrhage (sICH) and demonstrated positive impacts on both blood vessel reopening in the brain as well as patient functional recovery. Patients were dosed up to 12 hours after the onset of stroke symptoms; average time to treatment was 9.5 hours for patients who received TMS-007 and 9.3 hours for those who received placebo. All patients who received TMS-007 were dosed beyond the time window of approved thrombolytic agents.
We are encouraged by these results and made the decision to acquire TMS-007 based on the totality of the safety, imaging and clinical outcome data from the Phase 2a study, said Alfred Sandrock, Jr., M.D., Ph.D., head of research and development at Biogen. It has been almost 25 years since the last thrombolytic agent was approved for acute ischemic stroke and we believe this novel investigational drug may expand the number of eligible patients who could potentially receive thrombolytic therapy and thus have a higher chance of functional independence after stroke.
Approved thrombolytic agents are limited in their use due to their benefit-risk profile in later time windows. According to the American Heart Association1, sICH is the most feared complication of the current thrombolytic therapy, tissue Plasminogen Activator (tPA), which works by dissolving blood clots that block blood flow to the brain. In time windows up to 9 hours after stroke onset, sICH has occurred in patients receiving tPA at rates as high as six percent in controlled studies.
The randomized, placebo-controlled, ascending dose Phase 2a study included 90 participants in Japan (n=52 TMS-007, n=38 placebo). The primary endpoint of the study evaluated safety as assessed by the incidence of sICH with worsening of National Institute of Health Stroke Scale of four points or more. There were no events reported in the patients who received TMS-007 compared to an incidence of three percent in the patients who received placebo.
In addition, TMS-007 demonstrated a significant improvement on the secondary endpoint of functional independence at 90 days, with 40 percent of patients who received TMS-007 achieving scores of 0 or 1 on the modified Rankin Scale, a measure of independence in daily living, indicating either no residual symptoms or no significant disability, compared to 18 percent of patients who received placebo (P=< 0.05). This was supported by objective angiographic evidence of recanalization in the subset of patients with a visible occlusion receiving TMS-007. The recanalization rate, as measured by magnetic resonance angiography, was 58.3 percent (14 out of 24) for patients who received TMS-007 compared to 26.7 percent (4 out of 15) for patients who received placebo (odds-ratio 4.23; 95 percent confidence interval (0.99, 18.07)).
Biogen will make a one-time $18 million payment as part of the acquisition of TMS-007. TMS is eligible to receive up to an additional $335 million in potential post-acquisition development and commercial payments should TMS-007 achieve certain developmental milestones and sales thresholds. TMS is also eligible to receive tiered royalties in the high single digits to sub-teen percentages on annual worldwide net sales. Biogen will be solely responsible for the costs and expenses related to the development, manufacturing and commercialization of TMS-007 following the acquisition.
Biogen is currently evaluating the next steps for the clinical development of TMS-007, including plans for global studies. Final data results from the Phase 2a study are expected to be communicated at a future scientific forum.
About Acute Ischemic StrokeStroke is a potentially debilitating or even deadly cerebrovascular event. It is the second leading cause of death worldwide, with about 13 million cases and 5.5 million deaths each year, and with lasting functional deficits in stroke survivors caused by irreversible damage to the brain. Caused by blockages of blood supply to the brain, acute ischemic stroke accounts for about 85 percent of all strokes, with no approved medical therapies for treatment beyond the 3 to 4.5-hour time window. There is a substantial unmet medical need for new therapies that can both improve clinical outcomes with improved efficacy and safety as well as extend the time after stroke onset that a patient can receive a thrombolytic treatment.
About TMS-007TMS-007 is a small molecule plasminogen activator with a proposed novel mechanism of action associated with breaking down blood clots and potentially inhibiting local inflammation at the site of thrombosis. This unique combination could position TMS-007 as a potential next generation thrombolytic for individuals with acute ischemic stroke with the aim to provide an extended treatment window as compared to currently approved thrombolytic agents.
About the Phase 2a StudyTMS-007 was evaluated in a multi-center, single-administration, double-blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled, ascending dose trial with three TMS-007 groups (1, 3 and 6 mg/kg) and a placebo group (52 patients who received TMS-007 and 38 patients who received placebo). The study run by TMS Co, Ltd., which took place in Japan, included patients with acute ischemic stroke within 12 hours after onset and ineligible for tissue Plasminogen Activator (tPA) or thrombectomy. The primary endpoint was evaluation of safety with secondary endpoints evaluating vessel recanalization as well as clinical outcomes at 90 days after stroke onset.
About BiogenAt Biogen, our mission is clear: we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases as well as related therapeutic adjacencies. One of the worlds first global biotechnology companies, Biogen was founded in 1978 by Charles Weissmann, Heinz Schaller, Kenneth Murray and Nobel Prize winners Walter Gilbert and Phillip Sharp. Today Biogen has the leading portfolio of medicines to treat multiple sclerosis, has introduced the first approved treatment for spinal muscular atrophy, commercializes biosimilars of advanced biologics and is focused on advancing research programs in multiple sclerosis and neuroimmunology, Alzheimers disease and dementia, neuromuscular disorders, movement disorders, ophthalmology, neuropsychiatry, immunology, acute neurology and neuropathic pain.
We routinely post information that may be important to investors on our website atwww.biogen.com. To learn more, please visitwww.biogen.comand follow us on social media Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, YouTube.
About TMS Co., Ltd.TMSCo., Ltd. is aprivatelyheld, clinical stage biotechnology company based in Fuchu-shi, Tokyo. The company was founded in 2005 to develop therapeutics based on novel discoveries to modulate the fibrinolytic system, identified by a team of scientists at TokyoUniversityof Agriculture and Technology (TUAT), led by Dr.KeijiHasumi, Professor of theUniversityand Chief Scientist of TMS.
Biogen Safe Harbor StatementThis news release contains forward-looking statements, including statements made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, including statements about results from the Phase 2a study of TMS-007; the potential clinical effects of TMS-007; the potential benefits, safety and efficacy of TMS-007; clinical development programs, clinical trials, data readouts and presentations related to TMS-007; the potential of Biogens commercial business and pipeline programs, including TMS-007; Biogens strategy and plans; the identification and treatment of acute ischemic stroke; and risks and uncertainties associated with drug development and commercialization. These forward-looking statements may be accompanied by words such as aim, anticipate, believe, could, estimate, expect, forecast, intend, may, plan, potential, possible, will, would and other words and terms of similar meaning. Drug development and commercialization involve a high degree of risk, and only a small number of research and development programs result in commercialization of a product. Results in early-stage clinical trials may not be indicative of full results or results from later stage or larger scale clinical trials and do not ensure regulatory approval. You should not place undue reliance on these statements or the scientific data presented.
These statements involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those reflected in such statements, including, without limitation, uncertainty of success in the development and potential commercialization of TMS-007; unexpected concerns may arise from additional data, analysis or results obtained during clinical studies; actual timing and enrollment of future studies of TMS-007; regulatory authorities may require additional information or further studies, or may fail or refuse to approve or may delay approval of Biogens drug candidates, including TMS-007; the occurrence of adverse safety events; the risks of other unexpected hurdles, costs or delays; failure to protect and enforce Biogens data, intellectual property and other proprietary rights and uncertainties relating to intellectual property claims and challenges; product liability claims; third party collaboration risks; and the direct and indirect impacts of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic on Biogens business, results of operations and financial condition. The foregoing sets forth many, but not all, of the factors that could cause actual results to differ from Biogens expectations in any forward-looking statement. Investors should consider this cautionary statement as well as the risk factors identified in Biogens most recent annual or quarterly report and in other reports Biogen has filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. These statements are based on Biogens current beliefs and expectations and speak only as of the date of this news release. Biogen does not undertake any obligation to publicly update any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future developments or otherwise.
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market Will Showing Petition Growth in Near Future 2021-2027: Recent Trends and Competitive Analysis By Top... - July 29th, 2021
- Brain Mapping Method Illuminates Targets for Treating Depression and Parkinsons Disease - SciTechDaily - July 29th, 2021
- Logistics Technology: Key Developments Shaping the Industry - CIOReview - July 29th, 2021
- EKA Introduces Touchless Freight Trading and Execution - Yahoo Finance - July 27th, 2021
- TMS Symphonic Band selected to perform at AMEA Conference - Shelby County Reporter - Shelby County Reporter - July 27th, 2021
- Neuronetics (STIM) falls 2.82% in Light Trading on July 26 - Equities.com - July 27th, 2021
- Surge Transportation forges digital pathway with TMS integrations - FreightWaves - July 18th, 2021
- Axele TMS Tops 5K Users and 40K Loads, Closes out First Half of 2021 with 10X - GlobeNewswire - July 18th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand And Analysis Of Key Players Research Forecasts To 2027 The... - July 18th, 2021
- TSD1 receives funding for high school renovations as middle school work wraps up TMS expected to open for 2021-2022 school year -... - July 18th, 2021
- MindPath Care Centers Hosts Open House in Charlotte to Introduce FDA-Cleared Deep TMS Treatment for Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) and... - July 14th, 2021
- Axele TMS Tops 5K Users and 40K Loads, Closes out First Half of 2021 with 10X Growth in Monthly Recurring Revenue - Yahoo Finance - July 14th, 2021
- Centralization and digitalization: key priorities for global treasuries - BBVA - July 14th, 2021
- REWIND: Rock of Ages. The 1997 Rockfest concert in Fort Worth - WFAA.com - July 14th, 2021
- 2021 State of the Cloud: No end in sight - Logistics Management - July 14th, 2021
- Slag Handling Service Market 2021: Comprehensive Research Including Top Companies like-TMS International, Phoenix Services, Harsco, Edw. C. Levy Co.,... - July 14th, 2021
- Cybin Files its 13th Patent Application and Announces Digital Therapeutics Strategy - Business Wire - July 14th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS (GBNH) Withdraws Proposed Share Offering - StreetInsider.com - June 28th, 2021
- Terminal Management System (TMS) Market Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand and Trends Forecast to 2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet... - June 28th, 2021
- Therapeutic Ultrasound Devices Market | Industry Insight 2021-2027 Covered players: , EDAP TMS, Dornier Medtech, InSightec, Siemens, and More The... - June 28th, 2021
- Shockwave Therapy Device market 2021 Global analysis, opportunities and forecast to 2027 | By Top Leading Vendors like , Boston Scientific... - June 28th, 2021
- Can Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Hurt You ... - June 23rd, 2021
- TMS discusses thermal management in electric powertrains - Automotive Testing Technology International - June 23rd, 2021
- API vs. RPA whats the difference? - FreightWaves - June 23rd, 2021
- AI and edge computing: the future of traffic management - Business Reporter - June 23rd, 2021
- Massive Crowds Flock to Universal as Capacity Restrictions Disappear - Inside the Magic - June 23rd, 2021
- Global Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Research Report Covers, Future Trends, Past, Present Data and Deep Analysis 2021-2026 The Manomet... - June 23rd, 2021
- Global Transportation Managem ent Systems (TMS) Market Analysis, Market Insights, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2021-2025 The Manomet... - June 23rd, 2021
- Tla'amin Nation outlines conflict of interest - Powell River Peak - June 23rd, 2021
- Effects of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation | NDT - Dove Medical Press - May 27th, 2021
- BrainsWay Announces First of its Kind Positive Coverage Policy by Centene for the Treatment of OCD - GlobeNewswire - May 27th, 2021
- TMS student overcomes obstacle to excel in track and cross country. - WCBI - May 27th, 2021
- Manhattan Associates Unveils the Industry's Fastest and Smartest Multi-modal Transportation Optimization Engine - StreetInsider.com - May 27th, 2021
- Lupin The 3rd Part Six Unveils New Trailer - ComicBook.com - May 27th, 2021
- Registration of the reduced quantity of shares in Nexstim Plc (the last phase) - GlobeNewswire - May 27th, 2021
- Residents of Duncan have a voice in planning the future - My Cowichan Valley Now - May 18th, 2021
- Talent Management Software (TMS) Market | Covid-19 Impact Analysis | 2021 | Current Trends, Opportunity, Growth Potential, Industry Size, and Forecast... - May 18th, 2021
- Global Transportation Managem ent Systems (TMS) Market Size 2021, Share, Emerging-Trends, Growth, Services, Growth-Analysis, Top Manufacturers,... - May 18th, 2021
- Results: EDAP TMS S.A. Exceeded Expectations And The Consensus Has Updated Its Estimates - Yahoo Finance - May 16th, 2021
- South Jersey MS Center Now Offering TMS Therapy For Those With Chronic Treatment-Resistant Illnesses - Yahoo Finance - May 16th, 2021
- Analysts Offer Insights on Healthcare Companies: EDAP TMS (EDAP), Veru (VERU) and Kamada (KMDA) - Smarter Analyst - May 16th, 2021
- The Dallas Cowboys Will Start 0-1 - And Win The NFC East - Sports Illustrated - May 16th, 2021
- 2021 Latest Insights On Toll Management System(TMS) Industry. Understand Market Future And Impact Of Covid-19 On The Industry Clark County Blog -... - May 16th, 2021
- Global High-intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) therapy Market 2021 Top 10 Key players |EDAP TMS, THERACLION, CARDIAWAVE, BrainSonix Corporation, FUS... - May 16th, 2021
- Global Radioactive Iodine Ablation Therapy Market Research Report, Growth Trends and Competitive Analysis 2021-2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper -... - May 16th, 2021
- INTERVIEW: 'Army of the Dead's Matthias Schweighfer Talks Safecracking, Zack Snyder, and Prequels - The Mary Sue - May 16th, 2021
- Huge Demand of Digital Piano Market by 2027 | TMS, The ONE Music Group, Kurzweil, Williams Test & Measurement - Test & Measurement - May 16th, 2021
- Quantity of shares in Nexstim Plc after completion of the first phase in reducing the quantity of shares - StreetInsider.com - May 16th, 2021
- Global High-intensity Focused Ultrasound Therapy Market 2021 Challenges by enhanceing manufactures:EDAP TMS, SonaCare Medical, Theraclion, ILJIN... - May 16th, 2021
- Talent Management Software (TMS) Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted by the... - May 16th, 2021
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce First Quarter 2021 Financial Results on May 11, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Change of Dates for Its First Quarter 2021 Financial Results - Business Wire - May 9th, 2021
- As One Pandemic Ends, My Tips on How To Navigate This Next One - MD Magazine - May 9th, 2021
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market by Type (H-coil, C-core Coil, Circular Crown Coil), By Application (Hospital, Clinic,... - May 9th, 2021
- Talent Management Systems (TMS) Market COVID -19 Impact | Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2027 by Growing Players: Oracle, SAP, IBM,... - May 9th, 2021
- Vin Diesels break-dance video brings the internet as Ken guesses him to be Yeti on TMS - Republic TV - May 9th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Proposed Public Offering of Common Shares - Business Wire - May 4th, 2021
- Ruan Partners with Mastery Logistics to Enhance TMS Platform and Redefine Supply Chain Software - DC Velocity - May 4th, 2021
- AscendTMS And uShip Partner to Support SMB Shippers with Seamless Neutral FTL / LTL Platform - DC Velocity - May 4th, 2021
- Qualifying with race downforce at Texas will aid TMS novices - Motorsport.com - May 4th, 2021
- MagVenture receives CE approvals for noninvasive brain treatment of addiction, OCD, and depression with anxiety symptoms - PRNewswire - May 4th, 2021
- Boston Seaport Announces Plans for The Holiday Market at Snowport and Calls All Makers, Artists and Chefs to Apply - Boston Real Estate Times - May 4th, 2021
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market To Surpass Covid-19 Cringe From 2021 Onward The Courier - The Courier - May 4th, 2021
- 123Loadboard Partners With AscendTMS for In-Depth Load Searching Integration - DC Velocity - April 23rd, 2021
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 NeighborWebSJ -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Texas Motor Speedway Vaccination Clinic Closes Friday Due to Severe Weather - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - April 23rd, 2021
- TMS Neuronavigation Systems Market Production, Revenue and Price Forecast by Type 2021 to 2027 Neurosoft (Russia), neuroCare Group (Germany), Inomed... - April 23rd, 2021
- Tyto Athene, LLC Awarded $11.6M for United States Air Force Global Sustainment Task Orders for TMS, CTS and Enhanced 9-1-1 - Business Wire - April 15th, 2021
- Molecular Signatures of the Aging Process in Mice Revealed - Technology Networks - April 15th, 2021
- How to treat anxiety without medication: 8 natural remedies - Medical News Today - April 15th, 2021
- Elite Transit Solutions Announces Aggressive Growth: Opens New Chicago and Charlotte Locations and Begins Hiring 200+ Employees - PR Web - April 15th, 2021
- Toll Management System(TMS) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis-... - April 15th, 2021
- Analysts Offer Insights on Healthcare Companies: and Greenbrook Tms (GBNH) - Smarter Analyst - April 11th, 2021
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2021 by Key Players, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 (Based on COVID-19 Impact... - April 11th, 2021
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- MAG & More,... - April 11th, 2021
- Maven Machines Integrates with McLeod Software to Improve Fleet and Driver Workflow - DC Velocity - April 11th, 2021
- Another Win for Health Insurers, a Big Loss for this Patient - CounterPunch.org - CounterPunch - April 11th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players... - April 11th, 2021
- Global Transportation and Logistics Software Market Status Analysis and Forecast 2021-2027 with key player- TMW, 3G tms, AFS Transportation... - April 11th, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers of America in Coral Springs: Many Depression Sufferers Have Tried Everything. It's Time To Try Nexstim TMS Therapy. -... - April 6th, 2021