High blood pressure affects one in four adults in the UK, but many people dont know they have it. This is because symptoms are rarely noticeable. The best way to find out if you have high blood pressure is to have your reading regularly checked, either by your GP or local pharmacist or using a blood pressure monitor at home. High blood pressure can often be prevented or reduced by some simple lifestyle changes, such as eating healthily.
The NHS advises: Cut down on the amount of salt in your food and eat plenty of fruit and vegetables.
It adds: Salt raises your blood pressure. The more salt you eat, the higher your blood pressure.
Aim to eat less than 6g (0.2oz) of salt a day, which is about a teaspoonful.
Eating a low-fat diet that includes lots of fibre, such as wholegrain rice, bread and pasta, and plenty of fruit and vegetables also helps lower blood pressure.
READ MORE:High blood pressure: Best tea to drink for breakfast to lower your reading
But some experts believe the addition of supplements in a persons diet can also help control blood pressure.
One supplement proven to have a positive impact on blood pressure is garlic extract.
In 2014, Australian scientists found certain nutrients in garlic, particularly a compound called allicin, release chemicals into the bloodstream that help blood vessels relax, reducing blood pressure.
High blood pressure is recorded with two numbers - the systolic and diastolic pressure.
The systolic pressure, the higher number, is the force at which the heart pumps blood around the body.
The diastolic pressure, the lower number, is the resistance to the blood flow in the blood vessels.
In a 2012 Cochrane review on the effects of garlic on high blood pressure, researchers concluded (based on two trials in 87 patients with high blood pressure) garlic reduces mean supine systolic and diastolic blood pressure by approximately 10-12mmHg and 6-9mmHg.
While garlic can be eaten in its natural form, its also available as a supplement.
Studies have also demonstrated the positive effect garlic supplements can have on blood pressure.
In one study, 600 to 1,500mg of aged garlic extract was just as effective as the drug Atenolol at reducing blood pressure over a 24-week period.
Before taking supplements to lower high blood pressure you should speak with your GP.
Other ways to lower blood pressure
Another way high blood pressure can be reduced or prevented is by regularly exercising.
See the original post here:
- I Took Sakara's New Supplements Pack and Here's What Happened - The Beet - July 8th, 2020
- Vitamin P: Overview, Benefits, and More - Healthline - July 8th, 2020
- Dietary Fiber Nutritional Supplements Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Probiotic-based Dietary Supplements Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Powder Dietary Supplements Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- The violence in Mali has spread into the Tillabri area of Niger - Niger - ReliefWeb - July 8th, 2020
- PATHWAYS TO HEALING: Keys to a healthy gut - Lake Oconee Breeze - July 8th, 2020
- Zinc Boosts Immunity. Here's How Much You Need in Age of COVID-19 - The Beet - July 8th, 2020
- How COVID-19 Pandemic Will Impact Grape Seed Extracts Market Business Opportunity, And Growth 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- CRN files petition proposing way forward for CBD supplements; leaves foods/beverages to be dealt with 'later' - FoodNavigator-USA.com - June 24th, 2020
- Update on trade issues affecting the dietary supplement industry - Regulatory Focus - June 24th, 2020
- Pet nutrition's transformation: Pet food and supplements are getting healthier - Nutritional Outlook - June 24th, 2020
- The 10 Best Zinc Supplements of 2020 - Healthline - June 24th, 2020
- Here's the Right Level of Vitamin D to Protect You from COVID-19 - The Beet - June 24th, 2020
- Prorganiq: Transforming The World Organically - Forbes India - June 24th, 2020
- Belgium and Switzerland reveal results of border checks for food - Food Safety News - June 24th, 2020
- Do you really need to take a vitamin? 5 things to know before you buy - CNET - June 24th, 2020
- Targeted health and wellness a draw for supplement buyers - Natural Products INSIDER - June 17th, 2020
- Proposition 65 Notices of the Month April 2020: Plaintiffs Target Various Food Products Including Vinegars, Baby Food Pouches, Teething Wafers,... - June 17th, 2020
- The GOLO Diet: What it is and can it help with weight loss? - TODAY - June 17th, 2020
- High anxiety: Will CBD ever be legal in foods and beverages? - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2020
- Meet the Catalysts: 5 Supplements Trending With Athletes - GearJunkie - June 17th, 2020
- Nutrition/Dietary Supplements Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- Dietary Fiber Nutritional Supplements Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- Vitamin D toxicity is rare but increased use of supplements could change that - Insider - INSIDER - June 17th, 2020
- Global Dietary Fiber Nutritional Supplements Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 12.6% from 2020 to 2027 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- WELLNESS SUPPLEMENTS Market 2020 analysis with Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecasts by 2028|Abbott Nestle Archer Daniels Midland Amway... - June 17th, 2020
- FDA continues to heavily police COVID-19 claims targeting blogs and influencers in addition to brands - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2020
- Probiotics - Market Research | Recent Trends and Growth Forecast 2025 - CueReport - June 17th, 2020
- Linoleic Acid - Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - CueReport - June 17th, 2020
- Here is a list of organizations helping people in Yemen who are surviving in the world's worst humanitarian crisis - WUWF - June 17th, 2020
- Pea Protein Market Analysis Of Global Trends, Demand And Competition 2020-2028 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- Probiotic Supplements market is expected to pick up in healthy CAGR by 2020-2025 Top companies | American Biologics, Arla, BioGaia, etc - Medic... - June 17th, 2020
- Preferred Commerce Releases the Most Advanced Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) Product Line Worldwide With the Launch of Its THRIV5 Supplements - BioSpace - June 17th, 2020
- Latest COVID-19 impact insights on the Global Activated Charcoal Supplement Market - The Cloud Tribune - June 17th, 2020
- Vitamins & Supplements Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- What are Food Supplements and Who Needs Them?: (EUFIC) - April 9th, 2020
- Global Dietary Supplements Market 2020 Key Players and Production Information Analysis with Forecast 2025 - Science In Me - April 9th, 2020
- Foods to boost your health while living through the pandemic - Belfast Telegraph - April 9th, 2020
- Probiotic Based Dietary Supplements Market Size Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities and Forecast to 2026 - Science In Me - April 9th, 2020
- Caviarlieri: The World's Only Caviar Food Supplement with the Latest Innovation in Swiss Cellular Therapy Technology - Yahoo Finance - April 7th, 2020
- Axonics Submits PMA Supplement to U.S. Food & Drug Administration to Expand Full-Body MRI Labeling for 3T Scans - Business Wire - April 7th, 2020
- Axonics submits PMA supplement to US Food & Drug administration to expand full-body MR labeling for 3T scans - DOTmed HealthCare Business News - April 7th, 2020
- Functional Food and Beverages Market to Rise at 8.49% CAGR till 2026; Increasing Health Awareness in Urban Areas to Fuel Market Expansion: Fortune... - April 7th, 2020
- Nutrition/Dietary Supplements Market Size Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Shares, Growth Opportunities and Forecast to 2026 - Science In Me - April 7th, 2020
- OptiBiotix agrees contract manufacturing deal with French supplements and nutrition group - Proactive Investors UK - April 7th, 2020
- Global Omega 3 Market (2020 to 2024) - An Upsurge in the Ageing Population Presents Opportunities - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Prebiotics vs. Probiotics: What's the Difference? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - March 26th, 2020
- Nutraceuticals Market Size to Reach USD 486.36 Billion by 2026; Stellar Demand for Functional Food to Aid Expansion, states Fortune Business Insights... - March 26th, 2020
- Cyanocobalamin Market To Reach USD 210.4 Billion By 2027 | Reports and Data - GlobeNewswire - March 26th, 2020
- Pets and COVID-19 - The Andalusia Star-News - Andalusia Star-News - March 26th, 2020
- New Strategic Research Report on Over the Counter (OTC) Drugs & Dietary Supplements Market (2020 To 2027) is booming worldwide | Pfizer Inc.,... - March 26th, 2020
- Omega-3 supplements have minimal health benefits, studies say - The Star Online - March 26th, 2020
- Citrus Pectin Market to Reach US$ 965.5 Million Globally by end of 2027 - Coherent Market Insights - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- I spoke to a nutritionist & asked all you'd want to know about boosting your immune system - Mothership.sg - March 26th, 2020
- Postmarketing Adverse Event Reporting for Medical Products and Dietary - FDA.gov - March 24th, 2020
- Job No. 1: Educate and promote green alternatives based on hemp - HempToday - March 24th, 2020
- 8 Ways To Manage Red, Inflamed Skin Skin Care To Supplements - mindbodygreen.com - March 24th, 2020
- Experts advise healthy eating to boost immune system - The Star Online - March 17th, 2020
- Vegans & Vitamin B12: Everything You Wanted To Know (But Were Afraid To Ask) - Plant Based News - March 17th, 2020
- What's the Best Time to Take Magnesium? - Healthline - March 17th, 2020
- Global Bioactive Ingredients Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of Health and Wellness Food Products to Boost Growth | Technavio - Yahoo Finance - March 17th, 2020
- If You Want More Energy, Eat These 10 Foods Rich in This Essential Vitamin - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 17th, 2020
- The Cashmere crisis in the Himalayan ice desert - BBC News - March 17th, 2020
- Rugby deaths worrying - Daily Nation - March 17th, 2020
- Most dietary supplements dont do anything. Why do we spend $35 billion a year on them? - Seattle Times - February 21st, 2020
- High levels of B12 were associated with an increased risk of early death in a new study - Insider - INSIDER - February 21st, 2020
- Applied DNA Receives Kosher Certification from Orthodox Union for Qualifying Products - BioSpace - February 21st, 2020
- Dietary Supplements Market 2020 Global Trends, Share, Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Nyse Nasdaq Live - February 21st, 2020
- Vitamin D Milk: Everything You Need to Know - Healthline - February 21st, 2020
- Dehydrated Potatoes Market Size to Hit USD 8.84 Billion by 2026; Rising Preference for Nutrition-rich Processed Foods to Boost Sales Opportunities:... - February 21st, 2020
- Ensuring the safety of THC dosage in CBD oils - New Food - February 21st, 2020
- CannaPro: the only solution for CBD is a UK cannabis regulation authority - Health Europa - February 21st, 2020
- Collagen sales skyrocketing thanks to the ingredient's many applications: 2020 Ingredient trends to watch for foods, drinks, and dietary supplements -... - February 21st, 2020
- Are you at risk of a class action lawsuit? Perkins Coie outlines key areas of vulnerability for food & beverage brands - FoodNavigator-USA.com - February 21st, 2020
- Global Food Supplement Ingredients Market: Growth Opportunities to Tap into in 2020 - Weekly Wall - February 21st, 2020
- Supplements: Are they worth your buck? - Arizona Daily Wildcat - January 21st, 2020
- Legislation Introduced to Allow CBD in Dietary Supplements - AgNet West - January 21st, 2020
- United States: 2019: The Dietary Supplements And Cosmetics Year In Review - Mondaq News Alerts - January 21st, 2020
- Across the Nutra-verse: Resolving the CBD issue, growing consumer awareness around whey protein in India, and more - NutraIngredients-Latam - January 21st, 2020