Washingtons San Juan Islands are a dreamy year-round destination with scenic countryside and waterfront attractions aplenty.
While San Juan County boasts 172 named islands and reefs, three islands are the most populous and offer ferry service to and from the mainland.
Whether you prefer the art and cuisine of San Juan Island, the history and culture of Orcas Island, or the laidback friendly vibes of Lopez Island, theres an idyllic getaway perfect for your taste. Keep reading to find your next island getaway.
Tucked along the north edge of San Juan Island, Roche Harbor Resort is a historic seaside treasure surrounded by lush gardens. Guests may choose between the historic hotel, picturesque cottages or luxurious contemporary homes.
Roche Harbor Resort
With its waterfront focus, whale watching tours are popular here, as are kayak and boating excursions. Yet in addition to outdoor adventure, the resort offers a full-service spa for pampering body treatments, complimented by eucalyptus steam rooms and a fireside relaxation lounge.
Roche Harbor Resort also offers a range of restaurants onsite including fine dining at McMillins Dining Room, bistro bites at Madrona Bar & Grill, and quick-serve breakfast and lunch at Lime Kiln Cafe. The onsite farm provides sustainable fresh produce and flowers for the resort and local community.
Just outside Friday Harbor, Lakedale Resort is situated on 82 wooded acres and surrounded by Lake Neva, Dream Lake and Fish Hook Lake. As such, the resort offers an incredible assortment of leisure activities ranging from canoeing and kayaking, fishing and boating, cycling and hiking, and swimming when the sun is just right.
Lakedale offers five different accommodations with a cozy lodge and dog-friendly log cabins for more traditional travelers, while a yurt village, campsite, and canvas cabins offer outdoor immersion for the nature lover.
Resort log cabins are a true treat for families, with up to six guests comfortably accommodated and up to two dogs welcome. Cabins feature spacious family rooms with a gas fireplace, full kitchens packed with cookware amenities, and large cedar decks for savoring morning coffee.
Friday Harbor House is one of the most popular resorts on San Juan Island for good reason. With luxurious contemporary accommodations framed by waterfront views, and Friday Harbors downtown attractions right outside your door, this resort is a great getaway for weekenders and outdoor explorers alike.
Friday Harbor House in Friday Harbor, Wash, on San Juan Island
Friday Harbor House is perched on a bluff over the marina so guests may take in sun-kissed skies and surrounding natural beauty, while being mere steps from area eateries and boutiques. The outdoor dining space focuses on seasonal fare from area farmers and fishers, while indoor dining features floor to ceiling windows so the panoramic view is always within reach.
Each guestroom at Friday Harbor House features a gas fireplace and oversized jetted tub for two while suites include an outdoor balcony. Guests may savor San Juan Island Coffee Company with Chemex pour-over carafes provided in room, while bath salts and lavender pillow spray alongside LOccitane bath products provide cozy comforts for a luxurious night in.
Set along the marina and waterfront on Lopez Island, guests at Lopez Islander Resort have a variety of accommodations for a laidback getaway. Standard rooms and suites feature bayview decks, as do vacation homes which also offer kitchens and spacious family gathering spaces. RV sites and seasonal camping is also an option here, and of course the marina welcomes those arriving with their own floating home base.
Lopez Islander Resort
The focus of Lopez Islander resort is relaxation, recreation, and restoration. Onsite fine dining is complimented with a tiki lounge, while a seasonal outdoor pool provides a space for families to cool down in the summer months. Guests are welcome to explore the area with onsite provided bikes, while sea kayaking is also a popular activity at this quiet waterfront destination.
Massage services are available upon request, while an indoor jacuzzi room is available year-round. Pet-friendly accommodations are available.
Guests in search of a bed & breakfast with a resort-like ambience may find MacKaye Harbor Inn on Lopez Island a winning combination. This waterfront property offers a private sandy beach and tranquil accommodations with just five rooms. That means youll have ample private space to carve out relaxing downtime after enjoying a fresh-prepared daily breakfast.
MacKaye Harbor Inn
Ideal for two, the Harbor Suite includes a cozy fireplace and private, covered deck for soaking in coastal views. The inn offers bicycles for guests eager to explore the local natural setting, or to enjoy a nine-mile ride into Lopez Village for wine tastings, baked treats, and boutique shopping.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Rosario Resort & Spa on Orcas Island overlooks East Sound and Cascade Bay. Guests can explore some of the remarkable history here by self-touring the Moran Mansion at Rosario where photographs and furnishings from the late 1800s and early 1900s recall Seattle shipbuilder Mayor Robert Morans legacy.
The resort is spread across 40 acres, so there is plenty to explore on land but kayaking the bay is a popular activity here, as are sunset and wine cruises. The onsite spa offers massage therapy and skin care, while the adult-only therapeutic indoor pool offers a tranquil space for relaxation. The resort features two seasonal outdoor pools, one for adults and another for families.
Rosario Resort and Spa
Guests may opt for bayside rooms or expansive luxury suites. The historic Roundhouse Suite offers a little extra indulgence and is perched on a bluff overlooking the marina and bay. This unique suite was built as a childrens playhouse in 1913, though now it caters to guests with a fireplace in the living space, a separate bedroom, and private outdoor deck.
Alongside Deer Harbor on Orcas Island, WorldMark Deer Harbor offers resort suites ranging from 426 to 1,480 square feet. Vacation rentals come with a kitchenette or full kitchen and a private deck, so casual home-cooked dining is a breeze at this relaxing destination. A shared barbeque area is also available.
WorldMark Deer Harbor
The studio deluxe cottage provides a romantic getaway with a private whirlpool on the deck and a fireplace warming the gathering space. The two-bedroom presidential suite offers the same, yet with two dedicated sleeping spaces for family comfort.
A fitness center and seasonal outdoor pool provide onsite workouts, while Moran State Park is just a few miles away for additional recreation.
The rest is here:
- WATCH: The R1.8m-a-night private island that Melinda Gates rented during divorce - CapeTown ETC - May 9th, 2021
- What you need to know if you are thinking of cruising this summer - Sunbury Daily Item - May 9th, 2021
- Maldives imposes night curfew after steep jump in COVID-19 infections - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Canary Islands Startup To Be Called Latittude Hub - Simple Flying - May 9th, 2021
- The 6 Best Glamping Destinations To Enjoy Nature With Luxury Amenities - The Manual - May 9th, 2021
- Inside the vintage school bus that's one of Kent's most unique Airbnbs - Kent Live - May 9th, 2021
- What you need to know about the coronavirus right now - Gibraltar Chronicle - May 9th, 2021
- J. Prince Appears to Have Bought His Own Private Island: 'They Said It Couldn't Be Done' - Complex - April 19th, 2021
- You can rent an entire private island in Ireland with your mates for 40pppn including a bar, sauna and h... - The Sun - April 19th, 2021
- This Country Wants You To Visit So Badly, Itll Give You A Covid Vaccine - Forbes - April 19th, 2021
- How the Lush Caribbean Island of Dominica Became a Superyacht Haven - Robb Report - April 19th, 2021
- Where Is the MSC Fleet of Cruise Ships? - Cruise Industry News - April 19th, 2021
- Prince Philip funeral: Prince Harry, Andrew have awkward reunion - Insider - April 19th, 2021
- Russia explores the world-class surf spots of Kuril Islands - SurferToday - April 19th, 2021
- Whos who in House of Gucci, the new crime and fashion saga - Metro US - April 19th, 2021
- The Hottest Features The Rich Are Craving For Their Next Home - NDTV - April 19th, 2021
- Fodors names Georgia island among nations best to visit - WSB Atlanta - April 19th, 2021
- The private islands you can rent in France, Spain and Greece from just 12pp a night... - The Sun - April 2nd, 2021
- A New Private-Island Resort in the US Virgin Islands - Caribbean Journal - April 2nd, 2021
- Immunity pods of family and friends start to venture out on private vaxications - The Boston Globe - April 2nd, 2021
- Security escorts, chartered planes, Rolls-Royces: Inside the luxe tours of FlyEast Philippines - TTG Asia - April 2nd, 2021
- Private Plane Vacation Packages Are the Big New Thing in Resort Travel - InsideHook - April 2nd, 2021
- Your Own Private Island in Tahiti Is Only a Flight Away - Locale Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Thanks Emergency Services, NHS And Armed Forces With UK Homecoming, Set For This Summer - KPVI News 6 - March 31st, 2021
- Milgate to lead Velaa Private Island in the Maldives - Breaking Travel News - March 31st, 2021
- Secret Mediterranean: where to stay on the best hidden islands - Telegraph.co.uk - March 31st, 2021
- Staycation in Scotland: 6 remote and beautiful Scottish Island escapes - HeraldScotland - March 31st, 2021
- Ghislaine Maxwell Faces Two New Trafficking Charges, Raising Pressure On Prince Andrew And Others Listed In Jeffrey Epsteins Little Black Book -... - March 31st, 2021
- 7 Successful Celebrity Investors | TheRichest - TheRichest - March 31st, 2021
- How the spending habits of Singapore's rich changed in the pandemic - Insider - March 31st, 2021
- NBA's Kevin Love & Model Kate Bock Share What They Eat on "Vegan - The Beet - March 31st, 2021
- Richard Branson Is Opening His Caribbean Private Island to the Public This Summer - Observer - March 25th, 2021
- The stunning private islands that cost less than the price of a two-bed flat in England... - The Sun - March 25th, 2021
- Stunning private islands cheaper than average 2-bedroom home in the UK - Daily Star - March 25th, 2021
- This $1.1 million island in Quebec is for sale (PHOTOS) | Urbanized - Daily Hive - March 25th, 2021
- Private island for sale in BC costs less than the average Vancouver home | Urbanized - Daily Hive - March 25th, 2021
- Escape to Figure Eight - Greater Wilmington Business Journal - March 25th, 2021
- Coral Restoration And Why You Should Choose Hotels That Support It - Forbes - March 25th, 2021
- Chance to make a moo-ve on West Calf island - Southern Star Newspaper - March 25th, 2021
- Remains of SoCal Marine Arrive Home Nearly 77 Years After He Was Killed in World War II - NBC Southern California - March 25th, 2021
- What it's Like to Live on a Remote Island in Indonesia During a Pandemic - Fodor's Travel - March 25th, 2021
- Puerto Rico awarded $900M to help boost islands education - The Boston Globe - March 25th, 2021
- World Rugby to help Pacific Island teams join Super Rugby in 2022 - ESPN - March 25th, 2021
- This entire Quebec island is on the market for $1.8 million (PHOTOS) | Urbanized - Daily Hive - March 21st, 2021
- "Vaxication" In The Maldives: What To Know About Vaccine Tourism - Tatler Malaysia - March 21st, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Readies Cruises to the Bahamas and Mexico for June - Vanity Fair - March 21st, 2021
- Here's How To Plan The Maldives Trip Of Your Post-Quarantine Dreams - Essence - March 21st, 2021
- Happy Birthday Animal Crossing New Horizons! Year In Review For A Hall Of Fame Classic - Hot Hardware - March 21st, 2021
- 'Vaxication' in the Maldives: What to Know About Vaccine Tourism - Tatler Singapore - March 21st, 2021
- The Most Popular Place to Visit the Channel Islands National Park has reopened for recreation The Log - The Log Newspaper - March 21st, 2021
- Island Real Estate | Properties for Sale and Rent on Islands - January 25th, 2021
- Private Islands Online Australia - January 25th, 2021
- Travel Megatrends 2025: Cruise Lines Take Refuge in Their Private Islands - Skift - January 25th, 2021
- MSC Grandiosa to Resume Cruising Southern Europe on January 24 - Cruise Radio - January 25th, 2021
- British Virgin Islands at a crossroads as outgoing governor decries corruption - The Guardian - January 25th, 2021
- The Islands of Rockport spotlights modern luxury (Sponsored) - Chron - January 25th, 2021
- I explore a new beach every day: How the one per cent are doing Lockdown 3 - Telegraph.co.uk - January 25th, 2021
- Join Kevin McCloud in Italy and ride the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express - Countryliving (UK) - January 25th, 2021
- Here's what it costs to book Disneys new cruises to Antarctica and the Galapagos Islands - CNBC - January 25th, 2021
- Yes, more money will always make your life better, but thats not all there is to happiness, says new study - ZME Science - January 25th, 2021
- Castaway Cay is Hiring! What This Could Mean For Disney Cruise Line - Inside the Magic - January 9th, 2021
- Unique Escapes in 2021 for Travelers Who Have Been Everywhere - Luxury Travel Magazine - January 9th, 2021
- Rebound Travel Technologies and The Rarotongan Resort Group Announce Strategic Partnership - PRNewswire - January 9th, 2021
- 4 great itineraries (and 1 to avoid) for a first cruise vacation - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 9th, 2021
- For heavily indebted small islands, resilience-building is the best antidote - UNCTAD - January 9th, 2021
- Top 10 Private Jet Destinations Around The World - Luxury Travel Magazine - January 9th, 2021
- Things I've done that I'll never do again on a Royal Caribbean cruise - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 9th, 2021
- Opinion: Thompson Island is supposed to be open to the public, but that isnt happening - The Patriot Ledger - January 9th, 2021
- Snapshot: private fund registration - what have we learnt? - Lexology - January 9th, 2021
- Sneak peek at Mackinac Islands Grand Hotel pool renovations: waterslide, cabanas, adults-only area - MLive.com - January 9th, 2021
- Verzuz's Virtual Return Shows Celebs Have Always Lived in Different Worlds - VICE - January 9th, 2021
- From Wealth TV to OAN - Rich Conservatives are Brainwashing the Country - City Watch - January 9th, 2021
- A Bostonian's Guide toHopefullyTraveling This Year - Boston magazine - January 9th, 2021
- Tree pods and beach bedrooms: Social distancing in the Maldives - CNBC - November 26th, 2020
- Scrub Island Resort to re-open | Business | virginislandsdailynews.com - Virgin Islands Daily News - November 26th, 2020
- What Does the Future of Luxury Travel Look Like in a Post-Coronavirus World? - Luxury Travel Magazine - November 26th, 2020
- Private Jetaway Is Leading the Way to Cabo San Lucas With Luxury Vetted Holiday Travel Retreats - PRNewswire - November 26th, 2020
- Consumers are too lazy for The Truth about Amazon to really make a difference - iNews - November 26th, 2020
- Private islands, rather than ships, could make the difference in cruise rebound - TradeWinds - September 18th, 2020
- A private island off the coast of Ireland could be yours for 250,000 - The Spaces - September 18th, 2020