We might still be decades away from the superhuman artificial intelligence (AI), like sentient HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey, but our fear of robots having a mind of their own and acting at their own (free) will and using it against humankind is nonetheless present. Even some of the greatest minds of our time, such as Elon Musk and Stephen Hawking have been talking about this possibility.
On a more down-to-earth and practical level, artificial intelligence has already sneaked into our lives. Weve grown so accustomed to some of the best AI apps,such as Cortana, Alexa or Siri, that we already think of them as our trusted companions that help us run our everyday tasks easily and smoothly.
However, while a catastrophic sci-fi movie scenario is not a thing we should be worried about (at least not at the moment) there are some risks related to AI implementation which are far more tangible and possible.
Read on to find out more about some real-life benefits and risks of AI implementation.
By now, all of the industries have opened their doors to the various advancements AI brings. Here are some of the most prominent usages were witnessing and will be seeing more of in the years to come, in the digital marketing, healthcare, and finance industry.
If youve recently used a chat to reach customer service, chances are high youve been talking to a chatbot, maybe even without realizing this fact. It may come as a surprise that 40% of customers are fine with both options, as long as they get their issues solved.
Chatbots embody many benefits AI brings to businesses, and are a great example of how it may improve a sensitive and time-consuming matter such as customer service.
Some of the crucial points where you can see the advantages of AI-powered chatbots are:
Besides chatbots, AI can benefit digital marketing in many different ways, as it can be used to automate many different tasks, such as email and paid ads campaigns. It can also help marketers create more precise buyer personas, predict customers behavior and give sales forecasts, help with content creation, etc. These benefits to the e-commerce industry can hardly be measured, as businesses can now always be there for their online customers, assisting them in making their purchasing decisions and helping them navigate their customer journey.
Another noticeable way AI benefits our lives is through its usage in healthcare.
Weve recently witnessed a win of trained AI over human experts, as AI outperformed six radiologists in reading mammograms and recognizing breast cancer. Images can now be analyzed in a few seconds by the computer algorithm, so the use of AI can significantly improve the speed of diagnosis.
Except in radiology, AI is widely used in digital consultations, on platforms such as Buoy or Isabel symptom checkers, offering remote medical assistance, and suggesting how to see a professional based on their location.
The advantages of AI have been recognized early by the finance and banking sectors, and the technology is now implemented in the ways beneficial for both parties.
One of the best examples of how beneficial AI in this industry can be, is Erica, a virtual employee of the National Bank of America. Erica has by now served over 7 million customers and managed over 50 million of their requests, helping them with their transactions and budgeting, tracking their spending habits and giving useful advice.
As for the potential actual risks of AI nowadays, the one that seems to bring the most concerns is job loss, which in some industries seem inevitable.
AI-powered employees have quite a few advantages when compared to their human colleagues. As they have no personal and emotional responses theyre never exhausted, bored or distracted, not to mention that they are more productive and efficient. Furthermore, their capacity to make errors is significantly reduced.
Such qualities of AI are the most likely to cause layoffs where a lot of tasks can be automated, such as the trucking, food service and retail industry, leading to millions of unemployed and an even higher income inequality.
Another rising concern has been an invasion of privacy. This has already taken place in China, where AI-powered technologies are used for the purposes of mass surveillance, impacting the so-called social credit system.
The system tracks users behavior everywhere it has access to their social media profiles, their financial reports, health records etc. Data collected this way, including jaywalking and failing to correctly sort personal waste can now negatively influence the credit score while donating blood or volunteering can increase it. Negative credit can, for example, ban you from buying plane tickets, or enrolling your kids in certain schools.Finally, the possibility of using AI capacities for military purposes shouldnt be neglected, as the idea of having this kind of power concentrated in the hands of any of the world leaders, seems like a genuine threat to the world as we know it.
And while we think about all the benefits and the risks artificial intelligence brings, lets not forget one crucial point AI doesnt set its own goals. The power it has is the power we delegate it to achieve the things we are trying to accomplish, meaning that were responsible for both its benefits and its risks.
- Artificial Intelligence What it is and why it matters | SAS - February 15th, 2020
- What is Artificial Intelligence? How Does AI Work? | Built In - February 15th, 2020
- A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - IMDb - February 15th, 2020
- The Supply Side: Artificial intelligence is slowly shaping the future of retail - talkbusiness.net - February 15th, 2020
- How Will Your Career Be Impacted By Artificial Intelligence? - Forbes - February 15th, 2020
- Why Bill Gates thinks gene editing and artificial intelligence could save the world - GeekWire - February 15th, 2020
- Challenges of Artificial Intelligence Adoption in Healthcare - HITInfrastructure.com - February 15th, 2020
- Bringing artificial intelligence into the classroom, research lab, and beyond - The MIT Tech - February 15th, 2020
- The Father of Siri Has Grown Wary of the Artificial Intelligence He Helped Create - Willamette Week - February 15th, 2020
- Trump Policy Tactics that Target Foreigners Put America's Artificial Intelligence at Risk - The National Interest Online - February 15th, 2020
- The VA Has Embraced Artificial Intelligence To Improve Veterans' Health Care - WUNC - February 15th, 2020
- This Travis Scott-Type Song Was Created by Artificial Intelligence - Complex - February 15th, 2020
- AIoT Convergence of Artificial Intelligence with the Internet of Things - EnterpriseTalk - February 15th, 2020
- Police Use of Artificial Intelligence Poses 'Alarming' Threats to Privacy: Paper - Crime Report - February 15th, 2020
- Robots and artificial intelligence can benefit workers instead of hurting them if we address inequality today [Opinion] - Houston Chronicle - February 15th, 2020
- Biased Artificial Intelligence has Sinister Consequences for Marginalized Communities, Argue Panelists - BroadbandBreakfast.com - February 15th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Robotics Market: Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, and Threats 2019-2029 - Instant Tech News - February 15th, 2020
- Editor's Letter: Will artificial intelligence put journalists out of work? - The Independent - February 15th, 2020
- This Fake Travis Scott Song Created By Artificial Intelligence Sounds Almost Like The Real Thing - Genius - February 15th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence to be $100 billion sector by 2025 - CXOToday.com - February 15th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Is Not Ready For The Intricacies Of Radiology - Forbes - February 9th, 2020
- What Role Will (Or Does) Artificial Intelligence Play In Your Life? - Forbes - February 9th, 2020
- These are the exact skills you need to get a job in artificial intelligence - Ladders - February 9th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Market Size Worth $390.9 Billion by 2025: Grand View Research, Inc. - Yahoo Finance - February 9th, 2020
- FDA Authorizes Marketing of First Cardiac Ultrasound Software That Uses Artificial Intelligence to Guide User - FDA.gov - February 9th, 2020
- Global Forecast on Artificial Intelligence (AI) in the Freight Transportation Industry (2020 to 2025) - Disruptive Impact of AI on Freight... - February 9th, 2020
- AI Tool Created to Study the Universe, Unlock the Mysteries of Dark Energy - Newsweek - February 9th, 2020
- Explained: The Artificial Intelligence Race is an Arms Race - The National Interest Online - February 9th, 2020
- Coming soon: The promise of artificial intelligence in servicing - HousingWire - February 9th, 2020
- 'More than human': How neural implants, robotics and artificial intelligence are redefining who we are - Genetic Literacy Project - February 9th, 2020
- Global LegalTech Artificial Intelligence Market is Expected to Grow at a CAGR of More Than 37.7% Over the Forecast Period Owing to Digitalization... - February 9th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence: What Educators Need to Know ... - January 26th, 2020
- The Architecture of Artificial Intelligence | Features ... - January 26th, 2020
- What will artificial intelligence bring in 2020? - January 26th, 2020
- AI, emerging technologies to replace 69% of managerial ... - January 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Task Force | Agency of Commerce ... - January 26th, 2020
- How Artificial Intelligence Will Make Decisions In Tomorrows Wars - Forbes - January 26th, 2020
- University to Help Society Wrap Their Minds Around Artificial Intelligence - Governing - January 26th, 2020
- "Smart Gym" That Uses Artificial Intelligence to Open in Franklin - Williamson Source - January 26th, 2020
- Google CEO: 'Artificial intelligence needs to be regulated' | TheHill - The Hill - January 26th, 2020
- How the Pentagon's JAIC Picks Its Artificial Intelligence-Driven Projects - Nextgov - January 26th, 2020
- The World Economic Forum Jumps On the Artificial Intelligence Bandwagon - Forbes - January 26th, 2020
- 7 new ways golf instruction is embracing artificial intelligence and innovative technology - Golf Digest - January 26th, 2020
- Human beings are unable to connect with artificial intelligence: Pranav Mistry - ETtech.com - January 26th, 2020
- The Ethical Upside to Artificial Intelligence - War on the Rocks - January 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Retail Market to Reach USD 23,426.3 Million by 2026; Rising Awareness About the Advantages of AI in Retail Operations... - January 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Could Help Scientists Predict Where And When Toxic Algae Will Bloom - WBUR - January 26th, 2020
- Implementing Artificial Intelligence In Your Business (infographic) - Digital Information World - January 26th, 2020
- Current research: Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare Application Market size, status and growth outlook 2027 - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - January 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence to study the behavior of Neanderthals - HeritageDaily - January 26th, 2020
- Using artificial intelligence to speed up cancer detection - University of Leeds - January 26th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence to update digital maps and improve GPS navigation - Inceptive Mind - January 26th, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence - Scratch Wiki - January 18th, 2020
- High-Technology Discovered in Classical Mythology Reveals ... - January 18th, 2020
- Its going to be a Happy New Year for Artificial ... - January 18th, 2020
- Contact Center Technology - Artificial Intelligence | Avaya - January 18th, 2020
- Dangers of artificial intelligence in medicine | TheHill - The Hill - January 18th, 2020
- Whoever leads in artificial intelligence in 2030 will rule the world until 2100 - Brookings Institution - January 18th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence firm TheIncLab expands to Tampa - Tampa Bay Times - January 18th, 2020
- What Do You Think About Artificial Intelligence? The Pentagon's AI Center Wants to Know. - Nextgov - January 18th, 2020
- This son of an Irish emigrant invented Artificial Intelligence and changed the world - IrishCentral - January 18th, 2020
- Recent Federal Government Action on Artificial Intelligence and Next Generation Technologies - JD Supra - January 18th, 2020
- Proximity Lab Releases Research-focused Report on the Impact of Artificial Intelligence (AI) on Product Design: Features Insights from AI Experts and... - January 18th, 2020
- Adamson, Welch: Using artificial intelligence to diagnose cancer could mean unnecessary treatments - St. Paul Pioneer Press - January 18th, 2020
- The rapid growth in artificial intelligence in Japan - Open Access Government - January 18th, 2020
- Companies Use Artificial Intelligence to Help With Hiring. Korean Consultants Teach You How to Beat It - Inc. - January 18th, 2020
- Enterprise Artificial Intelligence Market by Deployment Type, Technology, Organization Size, and Industry Vertical : Global Opportunity Analysis And... - January 18th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence and the future of rep visits - - pharmaphorum - January 18th, 2020
- Dont set it and forget it: Artificial intelligences role in media buying is taking shape - Digiday - January 18th, 2020
- The global artificial intelligence (AI) in BFSI market was valued at $17,765.2 million in 2018 and is expected to reach $247,366.7 million by 2026,... - January 18th, 2020
- Revolutionizing IoT Through AI: Why Theyre Perfect Together - IoT For All - January 18th, 2020
- It's 2020 Stop Confusing Cognitive Automation With Artificial Intelligence - Analytics India Magazine - January 18th, 2020
- Evolving Relationship Between Artificial Intelligence and Big Data - ReadWrite - January 18th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence jobs on the rise, along with everything else AI - ZDNet - December 25th, 2019
- Why Cognitive Technology May Be A Better Term Than Artificial Intelligence - Forbes - December 25th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Is Rushing Into Patient Care - And Could Raise Risks - Scientific American - December 25th, 2019
- What Is The Artificial Intelligence Of Things? When AI Meets IoT - Forbes - December 25th, 2019
- One key to artificial intelligence on the battlefield: trust - C4ISRNet - December 25th, 2019
- How is Artificial Intelligence (AI) Changing the Future of Architecture? - AiThority - December 25th, 2019
- Chanukah and the Battle of Artificial Intelligence - The Ultimate Victory of the Human Being - Chabad.org - December 25th, 2019