By RENALDO DORSETT
Tribune Sports Reporter
Team Bahamas struggled to score for much of the second and third quarters and failed to keep pace as they lost their opening game of the FIBA U18 Centrobasket Championship for Women.
They suffered a 53-39 loss to Costa Rica as the eight team tournament tipped off yesterday in Aguada, Puerto Rico.
Tanea Bowleg led the Bahamas with seven points, while Terell Cox added six and Briontae Riley finished with five points and eight rebounds.
Valeria Gonzalez led Costa Rica with 12 points while Fiorella Mendez and Laura Castro each scored 10.
The Bahamas scored just six points in both the second and third quarters as Costa Rica outscored them 27-12 during that timespan.
After they fell behind by six points early, the Bahamas rallied to tie the game at 10 on a Cox layup. Tied again at 12, the Bahamas took their first lead of the game 15-12 on a Cox three point play with just over one minute left to play in the quarter. She scored the last five points for the team, and her free throw was the difference as they took the slim one point lead into the second.
Costa Rica opened the second on a 14-5 run to take an eight point lead before Bowlegs three pointer ended the drought for the Bahamas and kept them in contention. It was only one of two field goals for the team in the quarter that they scored just six points. Costa Rica took a 28-21 lead at the half.
The competition level is intense and thats what the coaches kept stressing when we were back home, Bowleg said, We just werent hitting open shots and open layups, we were responding too late on our closeouts and they were hitting their shots. I want to play in this gold medal game so as the captain I just have to tell my team we have to refocus and win these next three games.
Costa Rica took their first ten point lead on a Gonzalez three pointer to open the second half and the Bahamas never threatened again. Gonzalez made another three near the end of the quarter to build a 15 point lead at one point. They took a 47-21 lead into the fourth and both teams scored 12 points in the final period.
Terrence McSweeney took over head coaching duties and said the team would have to bring the same level of intensity and focus to the game that they have in their preparation thus far.
Our shootaround was awesome, the girls had a lot of energy but it all boils down to the third and fourth quarter, just like the senior team when I was with them in the USVI [at Centrobasket] we had no legs and we see the same thing here. My forte as a coach is to mentally and physically get the girls ready. We realised at the end of the game the legs were just not there. We rotated 10 players which was not the norm, but we were trying to search for the correct lineup, he said, They have to bring the game. We cannot be timid at this level of basketball because when players see that they will take advantage. Neither team shot it very well from the perimeter, our post up game was not where we wanted it to be, we missed easy shots we made at shootaround so now they have to soul search individually because they have to bring that these next few games.
Participating teams include the Bahamas, British Virgin Islands, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Puerto Rico and Suriname.
The top-three teams from the tournament will qualify to FIBA Under-18 Womens Americas Championship 2018.
The Bahamas will face Suriname on Wednesday 2pm and Puerto Rico on Thursday 6pm to complete the group stage.
See the original post:
- The Islands Of The Bahamas State Of The Business Tourism Update - PRNewswire - October 27th, 2019
- The Bahamas are doing just fine and await your arrival - The News Star - October 27th, 2019
- 11-year-old boy's backpack deliveries to the Bahamas reach over 1200 - Greenwich Time - October 27th, 2019
- Tourism In The Bahamas Rebounds After Hurricane Dorian - Cruise Industry News - October 27th, 2019
- Local boy's backpack deliveries to the Bahamas reaches over 1,200 - WPBF West Palm Beach - October 27th, 2019
- Skechers Distributes New Shoes To Storm Victims In The Bahamas And Houston - SGB Media - October 27th, 2019
- The Timberwolves are Karl-Anthony Towns' team now - Star Tribune - October 27th, 2019
- Grand Bahama All-Inclusive to Reopen in November - Caribbean Journal - October 24th, 2019
- This Species Of Shark Was Spotted For The First Time In The Tongue Of The Ocean Near The Bahamas - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Trinidad and Tobago ships relief items to the Bahamas - Bahamas - ReliefWeb - October 24th, 2019
- Skechers Distributes New Shoes to Recent Storm Victims in the Bahamas and Houston - Business Wire - October 24th, 2019
- Temple Terrace Donates Fire Truck To Ravaged Station In Bahamas - Patch.com - October 24th, 2019
- Rutgers Womens Basketball to play exhibition to Benefit Bahamas Hurricane Relief - On The Banks - October 24th, 2019
- 'Bahamas was not a joke': KAT and his unified Wolves open with a stirring win - The Athletic - October 24th, 2019
- New gas station -- result of Bahamas Bowl sponsorship -- coming to Elk Grove - Chicago Daily Herald - October 24th, 2019
- Mercer alumna helps the Bahamas with the United Nations Humanitarian Response Depot - The Cluster - October 24th, 2019
- SITE Classic brings 300 Incentive Travel professionals to the Bahamas - Travel Daily News International - October 24th, 2019
- Govt. signs Heads of Agreement for new medical university in Grand Bahama - EyeWitness News - October 24th, 2019
- FATF keeps Panama and Bahamas on the grey list and adds Iceland - International Investment - October 24th, 2019
- Grand Bahama Power working on 'innovative' renewable energy solutions - EyeWitness News - October 24th, 2019
- Royal Caribbean: Grandeur of the Seas to leave Baltimore - WBAL TV Baltimore - October 24th, 2019
- 'Please come and visit:' Unscathed Bahamas islands need visitors to aid hurricane recovery - USA TODAY - October 5th, 2019
- The Salvation army's hurricane response in the Bahamas continues to grow - Bahamas - ReliefWeb - October 5th, 2019
- A Florida bar has removed about $14,000 stapled to its walls to provide hurricane relief in Bahamas - USA TODAY - October 5th, 2019
- Dogs from the Bahamas are up for adoption at the Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando - Orlando Weekly - October 5th, 2019
- WHO Director-General visits devastated sites in the Bahamas to assess health impacts of Hurricane Dorian - World Health Organization - October 5th, 2019
- Pets rescued from destruction in Bahamas arrive in Maine, looking for forever home - NewsCenterMaine.com WCSH-WLBZ - October 5th, 2019
- 2019 Intensive: Bahamas - Highlights - International Women's Forum News - October 5th, 2019
- Dogs, 1 cat rescued from Bahamas ready for adoption at H.A.L.O. shelter in Sebastian - TCPalm - October 5th, 2019
- By the numbers: Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas - News-Press - October 5th, 2019
- Just how far away are the Bahamas? - The Triton - October 5th, 2019
- Big Charger from the Bahamas learning to play football - Chattanooga Times Free Press - August 25th, 2017
- The Only Private Island in the Bahamas Where You Can Land Your Private Jet - Robb Report - August 25th, 2017
- What we learned from Chicago State's trip to the Bahamas - Mid-Major Madness - August 25th, 2017
- Threat to South Carolina from storm near the Bahamas eases - Charleston Post Courier - August 25th, 2017
- University of the Bahamas attracts new Royal Donors, a Sir and a Lady - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- A rain storm lurking off the Bahamas could strengthen and impact South Carolina - Charleston Post Courier - August 25th, 2017
- Quality Beach Soccer Squad Wins League And Cup Competitions In The Bahamas Super League - Bahamas Tribune - August 25th, 2017
- LOOK: Klay Thompson clearly enjoying his time in the Bahamas - The Mercury News - August 25th, 2017
- Zoo Miami may pair with zoos in Bahamas, Colombia and Jamaica - Miami Today - August 25th, 2017
- Tropical moisture to bring uptick in downpours to Florida, Bahamas early this week - AccuWeather.com - August 20th, 2017
- Nema Director Urges Caution As Weather System Moves Towards Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - August 20th, 2017
- Puerto Rico Blows Out Bahamas By 64 Points - Bahamas Tribune - August 20th, 2017
- At Port of Palm Beach, new Bahamas Paradise owners installing upgrades, second ship - Sun Sentinel - August 20th, 2017
- Drug Mules jailed in Bahamas, claims lured to drug trafficking by desperate times - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 20th, 2017
- Batfish: Bahamas' masters of camouflage - Baltimore Post-Examiner - August 20th, 2017
- Bahamas Bounces Back With Win Over Suriname - Bahamas Tribune - August 18th, 2017
- News Report cites Bahamas refugee laws lacking, UNHCR to help - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- Bad Loans Crippling Bank of the Bahamas - Caribbean360.com (subscription) - August 18th, 2017
- Bahamas Police get to BPL cases, $2M missing as more to be fired - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- DJ, Paulina unwind with Bahamas vacay ... obviously - Golf Channel - August 16th, 2017
- Editorial: Hidden Faces Of Racism In The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - August 16th, 2017
- Bahamas Tourism signs MOU with Airbnb - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 16th, 2017
- Bahamas FNM Ministers & MPs verify with Public Treasury - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 16th, 2017
- Turnquest: We Can Turn Bank Of The Bahamas Around - Bahamas Tribune - August 16th, 2017
- Bahamas Police denies suspect hide out in TCI - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 16th, 2017
- Conchs mostly gone from Florida. Can the Bahamas save them ... - San Francisco Chronicle - August 14th, 2017
- Conchs mostly gone from Florida. Can the Bahamas save them? - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - August 14th, 2017
- Tropical Depression Eight Forms Northeast of the Bahamas; Likely to Stay East of the Carolinas Early Next Week - The Weather Channel - August 13th, 2017
- Unemployment drops, still nearly 22,000 not working says Bahamas ... - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 13th, 2017
- Conchs mostly gone from Florida. Can the Bahamas save them ... - WRAL.com - August 13th, 2017
- Bahamas E-Passport collection returns to Thompson Boulevard/University Drive - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- South African Pilots make their dream a reality of visiting The Bahamas - South Florida Caribbean News - August 11th, 2017
- Bahamas Tourism cuts staff, Minister says to save $1M - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- PokerStars Brings Back The PCA After Bahamas Rebranding Fails - US Poker (blog) - August 11th, 2017
- Conchs Mostly Gone From Florida Can The Bahamas Save Them? - NBC Bay Area - August 11th, 2017
- More Debt - The Legacy Of Another Bailout For Bank Of The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - August 11th, 2017
- UPDATE: Disturbance over the Bahamas could bring heavy rain to Florida - MyPalmBeachPost (blog) - August 10th, 2017
- Bahamas All-Stars Victory Is A Local First At Summer Of Thunder - Bahamas Tribune - August 10th, 2017
- Look: Lee Smith in the Bahamas with Shaq during this offseason - Silver and Black Pride - August 10th, 2017
- Final Game in Bahamas Cancelled - GoPSUsports.com - August 10th, 2017
- CSU mens basketball team soaks up the sun in the Bahamas - 9NEWS.com - August 10th, 2017
- Grand ideas announced by Bahamas PM at Opening of ... - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 10th, 2017
- Final game in Bahamas canceled for Penn State men's basketball - Centre Daily Times - August 10th, 2017
- Child Abuse up 144% for The Bahamas in 2016; neglect leads - Magnetic Media (press release) - August 10th, 2017
- Bahamas trip included in schedule for SDSU women's basketball - The San Diego Union-Tribune - August 10th, 2017
- 'Curls Girls' Rule The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - August 9th, 2017
- UPDATED: Gardiner wins silver for the Bahamas | The Tribune - Bahamas Tribune - August 9th, 2017
- Editorial: Which International Airport In The Bahamas Is A National Disgrace? - Bahamas Tribune - August 9th, 2017
- Nick Jonas to perform shipboard concerts in the Bahamas on ... - Los Angeles Times - August 9th, 2017