For the first time in over a decade, a contest to award the worst sex writing in the English language will not deliver a winner to the public, a relief for readers left mortified by the annual selection and sad news for the worlds connoisseurs of cringe.
The Bad Sex in Fiction Award is canceled.
The editors who run the contest announced the decision on Tuesday on the website of their magazine, Literary Review, saying that the year 2020 has been unpleasant enough without their contribution.
The judges felt that the public had been subjected to too many bad things this year to justify exposing it to bad sex as well, the statement said. They warned, however, that the cancellation of the 2020 awards should not be taken as a license to write bad sex.
Staff members for the Literary Review, a British magazine not to be confused with a New Jersey-based publication of the same name, have curated terrible sex writing for almost three decades. The awards purpose, according to the magazine, is to honor the years most outstandingly awful scene of sexual description and to draw attention to the poorly written, redundant or downright cringe-worthy passages of sexual description in modern fiction.
Since the award was established in 1993 by the critic Rhoda Koenig and the editor Auberon Waugh, the son of Evelyn Waugh, the nominated passages have included a comparison of an orgasm to a demon eel, unconventional descriptions of the human body such as haunches that could support a whole array of toothbrushes and coital journeys into outer space.
The winner in 2013, Manil Suri, compared sex to exploding supernovas, having characters streak like superheroes past solar systems and dive through shoals of quarks and atomic nuclei. Norman Mailer won, posthumously, in 2007, thanks to his inventive use of the phrase a coil of excrement. The winner in 1997, Nicholas Royle, described an exclamation somewhere between a beached seal and a police siren.
Though the list of winners is dominated by men, a few women have claimed the prize, including Rachel Johnson, a former magazine editor (and the sister of Prime Minister Boris Johnson of Britain), who won in 2008. The judges noted her repeated use of animal imagery, as when she compared a characters fingers to a moth caught inside a lampshade and his tongue to a cat lapping up a dish of cream.
Nominees have included some of the most famous names in fiction of the past 30 years. The year of Ms. Johnsons victory, John Updike was given a lifetime achievement award. Authors put on the short list have included Salman Rushdie, Stephen King and Haruki Murakami.
In other years, Literary Review editors gather at the In and Out Club in central London to celebrate, reading excerpts aloud and giving the winner the award: a plaster foot. Most writers have received the award with good humor, including Ms. Johnson, who called the award an absolute honor, and Iain Hollingshead, who said after his 2006 win, I hope to win it every year.
Others have proved less interested, including the singer Morrissey, who won in 2015 and told the Uruguayan newspaper El Observador that it was best to maintain an indifferent distance from these repulsive horrors. And some critics have called the award itself misguided and bullying, saying that it could frighten writers from writing about sex at all.
The magazine editors expect no such chill, however. On Tuesday, they said through an unnamed spokesperson that they anticipate a rash of entries next year, as lockdown regulations give rise to all manner of novel sexual practices.
Authors are reminded that cybersex and other forms of home entertainment fall within the purview of this award, the spokesperson said. Scenes set in fields, parks or backyards, or indoors with the windows open and fewer than six people present will not be exempt from scrutiny either.
See the original post here:
- Another sighting big cat in Blacon area of Chester - The Chester Standard - April 21st, 2021
- Column: Did Suez Canal Back-Up Have a N.C. Connection? - Southern Pines Pilot - April 19th, 2021
- Global Fresh and Naturally Fermented Birch Juice Market Size, Share, Value, and Competitive Landscape 2021 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - April 17th, 2021
- The story of the improbable micronation of Sealand - The Independent - April 15th, 2021
- Hannah Baiardi's new music comes "Straight From the Soul" - The Oakland Press - April 15th, 2021
- How to Get Rid of Ants, According to Experts - HouseBeautiful.com - April 15th, 2021
- Tree House brewery seeks final licenses to open in Sandwich by summer - Cape Cod Times - April 15th, 2021
- Ocean conditions, lost habitat drive salmon concerns | Opinion | thereflector.com - The Reflector - April 15th, 2021
- America's majority-minority confusion | TheHill - The Hill - April 15th, 2021
- Some Utah parents are protesting, but here's why Utah students will likely keep their masks on until summer - Salt Lake Tribune - April 15th, 2021
- Harvey Weinstein secretly indicted on rape charges by grand jury in Los Angeles - Q13 FOX (Seattle) - April 13th, 2021
- One on One: A link between a North Carolinian and the Suez Canal back-up? - The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - April 13th, 2021
- Global Weatherstrip Seal Market Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast to 2026 | Cooper Standard, Toyoda Gosei, Hutchinson, Henniges,... - April 13th, 2021
- Madison takes second in 17 team Rigby Invite | Sports | rexburgstandardjournal.com - Rexburg Standard Journal - April 13th, 2021
- Banks, ATM booths face cash withdrawal pressure ahead of lockdown - Dhaka Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- Biohacking Market Report (2021-2027) | The Demand For The Market Will Drastically Increase In The Future | Apple Inc, Behavioral Tech, Fitbit, Inc.,... - April 13th, 2021
- How to preserve, store those red gems - Effingham Herald - April 13th, 2021
- Unified healthcare specialists boost their sales and profits - The Irish News - April 13th, 2021
- Call for more powers to be handed to "environmental watchdogs" after eight-year planning saga - Cheshire Live - April 11th, 2021
- Nine-year battle ends with 142 homes to be built on Chester flood plain land - Cheshire Live - April 11th, 2021
- DoD will release document highlighting military needs in 5G, software and data this spring - Federal News Network - April 11th, 2021
- Purging your garage of garbage: Spring an ideal time to clean out unwanted items and organize the rest - Albuquerque Journal - April 11th, 2021
- Alliance hike to mark end of Earth Week events - The-review - April 11th, 2021
- List Of John Cena Movies And Upcoming Ventures Non-Related To WWE - SportzWiki - April 11th, 2021
- Cocktail of the week: Mr Ji's Compton Libre recipe - The Guardian - April 11th, 2021
- Jack Carr On The Devils Hand: I Was Researching About The Weaponization Of Infectious Diseases Before COVID Hit - CBS San Francisco - April 11th, 2021
- Theres so much more to Sonoma Countys Fort Ross than the Russian connection - San Francisco Chronicle - April 11th, 2021
- World's Top Fighters Join Kill Cliff and Get Biofuel to Create the Clean Energy Team - GlobeNewswire - April 11th, 2021
- Pearlfisher brand identity for Consider Pastures gives product 'pride of place' - Transform magazine - April 11th, 2021
- Key Trends and Opportunities in the Construction Industry in Qatar to 2025 - Industry Forecast to Recover by 2.8% in 2021 Following COVID-19... - April 4th, 2021
- Aldi's Earth Grown Brand Receives Good Housekeeping Seal - Progressive Grocer - April 4th, 2021
- Who Will Move the Stone? - Atlantic Highlands Herald - Atlantic Highlands Herald - April 4th, 2021
- Baldwin Park cannabis businesses owe the city $4 million in outstanding fees - The San Gabriel Valley Tribune - April 4th, 2021
- Bank transactions to be carried out from 10am to 12:30pm amid lockdown - Dhaka Tribune - April 4th, 2021
- UA Prof. Schaller: The Ever Given saga has been years in the making - Arizona Daily Star - April 4th, 2021
- 123 immigrants discovered inside trailer of driver who says he was not aware he was transporting people - CDLLife - April 4th, 2021
- Plantings near streams a way to improve fish habitat - Bainbridge Island Review - April 4th, 2021
- On her own, Grace McGill opts for renovation of a Katy home - Houston Chronicle - April 4th, 2021
- Seal spotted swimming in river - Kent Online - April 4th, 2021
- Dandy's commission largest Welsh flag in the UK to fly when Wales can welcome visitors after lockdown - LeaderLive - March 31st, 2021
- AIS inspections stations to be opened April 10 Sheridan Media - Sheridan Media - March 31st, 2021
- Updated status of interprovincial air, sea, land travel in Thailand as of April 1 - Pattaya Mail - March 31st, 2021
- 2021-'22 Kindergarten Registration Underway in North Haven - Zip06.com - March 31st, 2021
- Commentary: Ocean conditions, lost habitat drive salmon concerns - The Daily World - March 31st, 2021
- Here's what to do in an active shooter situation - NorthJersey.com - March 31st, 2021
- 'Largest Welsh flag in the UK' to welcome back visitors to Wales after 'terrible year' - North Wales Live - March 31st, 2021
- Shipping movements - March 25, 2021 - Times of Malta - March 31st, 2021
- Rep. Jimmy Panetta takes up the cause of the disappearing monarch butterfly. - Monterey County Weekly - March 31st, 2021
- Latest e-book explores evolution of fluid-applied waterproofing - Construction Specifier - The Construction Specifier - March 31st, 2021
- Beware of fake COVID-19 vaccines: Here's how to spot one - ABS-CBN News - March 31st, 2021
- 5 refreshing ways to perk up your patio for the season - Yahoo News - March 31st, 2021
- The Safety and Comfort of My Patients Are Paramount at the LA Vein Center. - Magazine of Santa Clarita - March 31st, 2021
- Gaining Momentum: Over One Billion Square Feet of Space Enrolls in WELL Health-Safety Rating - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Seattle Thunderbirds secure 3-2 win over the Portland Winterhawks - DUBNetwork - March 31st, 2021
- Five of the best parks in Cumbria to meet up with friends - News & Star - March 31st, 2021
- Construction on bridges over I-43 at the Hillside Interchange set to begin - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - March 21st, 2021
- Now government health officials announce bubble and seal measures after October 1st - ThaiExaminer.com - March 21st, 2021
- How do you achieve a more eco-friendly propulsion system and minimise the footprint of your vessel? - Riviera Maritime Media - March 21st, 2021
- BJP candidates approach HC against rejection of nomination - Mathrubhumi English - March 21st, 2021
- Liberation endures forever - The Jewish Standard - March 21st, 2021
- Perseverance rover records sounds of driving on Mars Spaceflight Now - Spaceflight Now - March 21st, 2021
- EDITORIAL: Welcome everyone as if they are lost German tourists - Bangor Daily News - March 21st, 2021
- The Last Unknown Takes Viewers to Some of the Most Remote Islands on Earth - Gizmodo - March 21st, 2021
- Journey Through Fire and Ice: A tour of our carbon footprint, 23 miles above the Arctic Circle - Anchorage Press - March 21st, 2021
- Gordon Ramsay roasted a chef who covered an expensive Wagyu steak with Nutella - Business Insider India - March 21st, 2021
- Global Coriolis Mass Flowmeters Market 2020 Applications, SWOT Analysis, Remarkable Growth and Competitive Landscape by 2026 KSU | The Sentinel... - March 11th, 2021
- London Gateway is now the UK port of call for two new major international shipping services - Fleet Transport - February 22nd, 2021
- Covid-19: Thailand implements 'seal and bubble' strategy to curb transmission in factories - The Edge Markets MY - February 8th, 2021
- Former Navy SEAL commander says Putin has outplayed the US and Russia is the greatest external security threat - We Are The Mighty - February 8th, 2021
- Remembering David Washbrook, and His Historical Insights on Class Relations in South Asia - The Wire - February 8th, 2021
- Native American mascots under spotlight as Massachusetts bill proposes eliminating their use in public schools - MassLive.com - February 8th, 2021
- I Bought a Reiki-Charged Candle Based on a Tarot Card Readingand You Can Too - HouseBeautiful.com - February 8th, 2021
- 6 Important Spring Cleaning Tips That Are Often Forgotten - The Apopka Voice - February 8th, 2021
- Gerresheimer Triveni receives award for its active customer management from the Indian industry association CII - Pharmaceutical Business review -... - February 8th, 2021
- Nations first Navy SEAL and local native passes away - WTAJ - www.wearecentralpa.com - January 31st, 2021
- ReCAAP ISC issues incident alert on incidents against ships in the eastbound lane of Singapore Strait - American Journal of Transportation - January 31st, 2021
- I woke up at 4:30 a.m. for a week like a Navy SEAL and it made me more productive - Yahoo News - January 31st, 2021
- Connah's Quay councillor moved to tears after community rallies once again to help those in need - LeaderLive - January 31st, 2021
- Ironton scrapes by Panthers | Sports - Huntington Herald Dispatch - January 31st, 2021
- Cocktail of the week: The Connaught Bar's Good Fellas - recipe | The good mixer - The Guardian - January 31st, 2021