A former top official from President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's government on Wednesday unveiled his much-anticipated new political party, DEVA, with a programme centred upon fiscal reforms and social freedoms.
Ali Babacan, a former Turkish deputy prime minister who broke ranks with Erdogan last year, presented his Democracy and Progress Party- whose Turkish initials DEVA mean 'remedy' -as a liberal democratic and pro-Western political organisation in his launch speech addressed to supporters and founders of the party in Ankara.
The rule of law in our country is always crumpled, justice is wounded, Babacan said. Our democracy is weak. Our people cannot raise their voice no matter how high they shout.
Babacan also unveiled a 132-page-long party programme, which mostly focuses on the restoration of fundamental rights and freedoms, including the press freedom, and education in mother tongues, a central demand by the Kurdish nationalist movement in Turkey.
DEVA's programme also included a call to return to a parliamentary democracy from the current executive presidential system, and promised a new constitution based on strong separation of powers.
In order to solidify his arguments on freedom of speech, Babacan said that under his rule, young people in Turkey would be able to use social media platforms without fear of arrest.
You could tweet or like [things] without fear,"he said.
Many Turkish citizens are currently being investigated or sentenced for insulting the Turkish president on Twitter in the years since the attempted coup of 2016.
Babacan also built his speech around a call for fiscal reforms in the country.
Under his economic leadership in the 2000s, the country saw immense growth, but he later fell out of Erdogans favour due to disagreements on the fundamentals of the free-market economy.
We will realise the so-called fiscal rule that [some] didnt allow us to do, Babacan said in an apparent criticism of Erdogan, who defends his unorthodox economic policies.
DEVA's launch event seemed to have resonated in other parts of Ankara where Erdogan made an address to his colleagues atthe ruling Justice and Development Party(AKP).
If you pay attention, [you would see] that every so-called entity that is being presented as new only confirms the need for AK Party, and other than that it is useless, Erdogan said.
On the foreign policy front, DEVA's party programme calls for stronger ties with NATO, the European Union and the United States and committed itself to resolving differences with Turkeys allies in diplomatic ways.
It also says that the territorial integrity of Syria and Iraq would have utmost importance for a DEVA government in the future.
Go here to see the original:
- Remember These Headlines? - Highlands Current - July 5th, 2020
- Peril of face recognition tech: Facing the end of freedom, one face at a time. Supreme Court must intervene - Times of India - July 5th, 2020
- Navy Will Mothball Its First Four Littoral Combat Ships In Nine Months If Congress Lets It - The Drive - July 5th, 2020
- West Virginia Week in Review - July 4, 2020 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - July 5th, 2020
- Higher gas taxes, other tax increases to greet Virginians on Wednesday - The Center Square - July 5th, 2020
- Controversial school immunization bill signed into law - BerthoudSurveyor.com - July 5th, 2020
- Defunding The Police Has Traction In Dallas, But What's On The Table? - KERA News - July 5th, 2020
- Ready, set, go! Early voting starts this week - East Valley Tribune - July 5th, 2020
- NSWC Dahlgren Division mathematician wins three awards for innovation impacting high performance computing - fredericksburg.today - July 5th, 2020
- Iceland Reopening With Its Economic Freedom Largely Intact - Daily Signal - June 24th, 2020
- Tips and Murmurs: is the Collaery case about to open up? - Crikey - June 24th, 2020
- Around Town: WWII Museum offers Victory Six Swing Band July 2 - Journal Record - June 24th, 2020
- In CA: The mask argument continues; schools jump into the debate on racism and policing - USA TODAY - June 24th, 2020
- Rep. Dina Titus urges Appropriations Committee to block Trump Administration from conducting explosive nuclear testing in Nevada - KLAS - 8 News Now - June 24th, 2020
- Everything To Know About The H-1B Visa That Has Been Suspended Till The End Of 2020 - ScoopWhoop - June 24th, 2020
- White Jews fled to the suburbs. Here's why that matters today. - The Jewish News of Northern California - June 24th, 2020
- GOP members of House Foreign Affairs Committee urge Trump to reconsider US troop withdrawal from Germany - Washington Examiner - June 24th, 2020
- Two thousand march with call to defund police; Council's $4.1M order was a 'drop in the bucket' - Cambridge Day - June 24th, 2020
- Quebec To Introduce The Most Punitive Privacy Laws In Canada - With Fines Of Up To $25 Million - Privacy - Canada - Mondaq News Alerts - June 24th, 2020
- For one Iraqi refugee, Columbus finally feels like home this World Refugee Day - The Columbus Dispatch - June 20th, 2020
- Troy H. Middleton's name to be removed from LSU's main library - Greater Baton Rouge Business Report - June 20th, 2020
- 'This is amazing,' says mayor as Iowa City Council passes resolution to restructure ICPD and address other demands of the Iowa Freedom Riders - Little... - June 20th, 2020
- Salomone: Juneteenth and Today - Greenwich Free Press - June 20th, 2020
- Latest Texas news, sports, business and entertainment at 9:20 pm CDT - KBTX - June 20th, 2020
- Dear Tito: Heres where to cut tax, make grants to save SA. MUST READ! #budget - BizNews - June 20th, 2020
- Debt settlement: An effective way of reducing debt - AZ Big Media - June 13th, 2020
- Strengthening our armed forces - The Highland County Press - June 13th, 2020
- Defunding the Police Is Not Nearly Enough - New York Magazine - June 13th, 2020
- Advocates Push To "Defund The Police" While Officials Call For Reforms - WVXU - June 13th, 2020
- Burrows disappointed with sports budget cuts EyeWitness News - EyeWitness News - June 13th, 2020
- Over $722,000 awarded to protect and improve Florida military installations - Florida Politics - June 13th, 2020
- Global Perspective: As US, China lock horns, Japan, others must think about ways ahead - The Mainichi - June 13th, 2020
- Golf course move on Caven Point is obscene; Honor the flag | Letters - nj.com - June 13th, 2020
- The return of the tea party | News, Sports, Jobs - Minot Daily News - June 13th, 2020
- PM Modi says command and control regime over, lets plug and play - Hindustan Times - June 13th, 2020
- June 12: She clearly does not understand what it is. Readers react to RCMP head disputing systemic racism, plus other letters to the editor - The... - June 13th, 2020
- Shame on Olmsted Falls mayor for his rant about the cost of policing George Floyd protest - cleveland.com - June 13th, 2020
- If youre surprised by how the police are acting, you dont understand US history - The Guardian - June 6th, 2020
- Opinion: The conservative path to a fairer country - National Post - June 6th, 2020
- The Movement To Defund DC Police - Washington City Paper - June 6th, 2020
- Tailoring the Socioeconomic Response to COVID-19 in Peacebuilding Contexts - UNDP - June 6th, 2020
- Nigeria In The Eyes Of The World On Freedoms - The Nigerian Voice - June 6th, 2020
- OPINION: NIGERIA IN THE EYES OF THE WORLD ON FREEDOMS - thewillnigeria - June 6th, 2020
- A Leg Up in the Search for Prosperity: Economic Freedom - Governing - June 1st, 2020
- COVID-19 reveals conflict, compassion of Kansans wrestling with threat of pandemic - Leavenworth Times - June 1st, 2020
- Rich Lowry: The return of the tea party - Salt Lake Tribune - June 1st, 2020
- To Rebuild the Economy, India Needs to Be Atmanirbhar in Ideas - The Wire - June 1st, 2020
- Beyond the doomsday machine: Reimagining economic policies and practice in a post-Covid world - Daily Maverick - June 1st, 2020
- Opinion:Buying the Third Congressional District | LAMonitor.com - Los Alamos Monitor - June 1st, 2020
- The National WWII Museum Celebrates 20 Years of Telling the Story of the American Experience in World War II - My New Orleans - June 1st, 2020
- COVID-19 and the future of world trade | VOX, CEPR Policy Portal - voxeu.org - June 1st, 2020
- CBD Sydney: Traces of loyalty in hunt for Turnbull superspreaders - Sydney Morning Herald - June 1st, 2020
- More than $250000 spent in race for Mehaffie's 106th House District seat; money mostly coming from PACs - Middletown Press and Journal - June 1st, 2020
- 'Centre Has Offered Nothing Against Jobs Lost By Informal Workers, Circular Migrants' | - IndiaSpend - June 1st, 2020
- The world in front of the mirror - Explica - June 1st, 2020
- Violation of service code - The Tribune India - May 11th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor 5-10-2020: Pannebecker rebuttals - The Macomb Daily - May 11th, 2020
- Godfrey calls on Washington to immediately approve more stimulus - Patch.com - May 11th, 2020
- Are you left-wing or right-wing? Probably both. The Oxford Student - Oxford Student - May 11th, 2020
- For the Europe of tomorrow - EuroScientist - May 11th, 2020
- Framework for the Management of COVID-19 Funds in Nigeria under the Treasury Single Account - Proshare Nigeria Limited - May 11th, 2020
- Nikes Air Jordan 1 Has Entered the Influencer Age - The Ringer - May 11th, 2020
- Shaw warns that Freedom Mobile isn't adding as many customers as planned due to COVID-19 - CBC.ca - April 11th, 2020
- Clarification of UCSC policy and expectations on funding researchers during the temporary cessation of non-essential on-campus research due to... - April 11th, 2020
- MI Governor Leads the Way with Water Reconnection Order - Natural Resources Defense Council - April 11th, 2020
- How S.C. lawmakers increase their odds of staying in power - The Nerve - March 26th, 2020
- MTS Awarded Seismic Simulation Project Valued At Over $70 Million For China's National Facility For Earthquake Engineering Simulation At Tianjin... - March 26th, 2020
- Letters to the editor, March 26, 2020 | Opinion - Idaho Press-Tribune - March 26th, 2020
- Junk rating this week may be least of SA's problems - Fin24 - March 26th, 2020
- Junk rating likely the least of South Africas problems - BusinessTech - March 26th, 2020
- Brexiteer claims coronavirus could spell end of eurozone but there's a catch - Express.co.uk - March 26th, 2020
- Statement of the Hellenic Chapter of Republicans Overseas- Abroad on Greek Independence Day - The National Herald - March 26th, 2020
- Governor calls for stronger collaboration with Kilili - Marianas Variety - March 26th, 2020
- Will the market stabilise in the second half of 2020, what experts say? - Kalkine Media - March 26th, 2020
- A pandemic, an economic blow and the big fix - The Hindu - March 24th, 2020
- 12:28 Heritage Foundation: Armenia needs to improve judicial effectiveness to have freer economy - Information-Analytic Agency NEWS.am - March 24th, 2020
- D4 Billion Debt Repayment in the face of a Pandemic - Freedom Newspaper - March 24th, 2020
- Why the Navy's F/A-18 Super Hornet Is Still One Dangerous Fighter - The National Interest - March 24th, 2020
- Opinion | The world should be wary of smoking the China pipe again - Livemint - March 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus has shattered the myth that the economy must come first - The Guardian - March 24th, 2020