Quarterfinal Game 2
3 p.m. CT, Sunday, March 14
From the front windows of Compton Family Ice Arena, one massive parking lot away from Notre Dames famed football stadium, you can almost see the iconic Touchdown Jesus mosaic that is a landmark of this place most known for exploits on the gridiron.
Before heading to Notre Dame for the Sunday afternoon playoff opener, it was perhaps appropriate for Minnesota Gophers coach Bob Motzko to be thinking in football terms when scouting his opponent.
Theyve had a tough stretch, but its over. Theyre going to get a fresh set of downs now, Motzko said of Michigan State, which the Gophers beat four times in the regular season. Theyve got a chance to remedy some things into the playoffs...Theyre a big strong team, theyre well-coached their goaltender (Drew) DeRidder has been one of the best in the conference.
In fact, just a few weeks ago the Gophers chased DeRidder from the net in a 5-1 victory in Minneapolis. That was one of a NCAA-best 20 wins in the regular season, but the Gophers did not get a banner to show for that effort, and head to the next phase of this most unique season with unfinished business.
Well-assured that they will be in the NCAA tournament in a few weeks, the conference playoffs are a different atmosphere for the Gophers. They played three playoff games at home versus Notre Dame last season before college hockey shut down due to the pandemic. These Gophers have no experience playing at a neutral site in the postseason, but that is not to say they have not experienced higher-pressure hockey in the past. For many players, there is a feeling in the air in March that signals the stakes going up.
This is the best time of year. Growing up as a kid in Minnesota this was state tournament time, said freshman defenseman Brock Faber. When the weather starts to warm up a bit, this is always fun. I wouldnt say (there are) nerves, Id say more excitement for me.
For the Gophers to win a trophy in South Bend, the formula is pretty straightforward. Goalie Jack LaFontaine needs to keep doing the things that have him solidly in the running as the Big Tens top goalie, and Motzko noted that a few of the teams more talented goal-scorers need to be heard from.
Weve got a guy like Ben Meyers who is maybe one of the big spark plugs in our conference, that can explode, Motzko said. Sammy Walker, at any moment. (Blake) McLaughlin (Sampo) Ranta for the first time now is heading into a tournament. Rantas been pretty steady all year. There are not many weekends that he doesnt have a goal.
Like every team except Wisconsin, the Gophers will need to win three games in three nights if they want to raise the Big Ten playoff banner for just the second time (after 2015) in program history. The players who spoke to the media this week said their sole focus is Sunday, and anything past that will be dealt with as it comes.
Thats the biggest game of the season so far. Just focusing on the next one is huge for us, Faber said. Focusing on Michigan State, theyre a heavy team and theyll play physical on a smaller ice sheet that fits their game a lot better.
There are good times ahead for Michigan State, which has an extensive remodeling and modernization project underway at Munn Ice Arena. And there have been good times in the past, as the Spartans remain the most recent Big Ten team to win a NCAA title (in 2007, under former coach Rick Comley).
The present is more challenging in East Lansing, where Coles teams have finished sixth or seventh in the seven-team conference in all four of his seasons at the helm of his alma mater. They made a valiant stand versus Wisconsin in the season finale, leading the Badgers with a minute to play in the second period before falling 2-1. Although the pessimist will note that the Spartans closed the regular season going 1-9-0 in their last 10 and scoring one goal, total, in their final three games.
Cole was philosophical when talking with the media prior to their fifth game versus the Gophers, quoting both Ayn Rand and Sun Tzu, and making correlations to hockey and hinting that his team may need to play a more aggressive game versus the Gophers in the playoffs.
Even when we havent played well, I do like the way our guys have competed, but you can do that in a lot of ways, he said. If you stand at the bottom of the hill and the opposing army runs down the hill, and you just stand there and they run you over, I guess youre competing, trying to hold your ground. But its not very smart, tactfully.
Like they did in hanging close to the Badgers last weekend, the Spartans are likely to try to make things defensive, as they have averaged 1.5 goals per game this season and scored more than three just twice.
Follow this link:
- Top 10 Reasons Ayn Rand was Dead Wrong - CBS News - July 10th, 2021
- Here's What's Wrong With Ayn Rand's Philosophy - The ... - July 10th, 2021
- Events - Heartland Movie Night | A screening of Ayn Rand's "Anthem: The Graphic Novel" - The Heartland Institute - July 10th, 2021
- Ayn Rand Think Tanker Says Florida Condo Collapse Happened Because People Made A Bad Decision and Now Suffer the Consequences of It - Mediaite - July 10th, 2021
- COVID-19: Sajid Javid's approach has party support - but scientists are getting worried - Sky News - July 10th, 2021
- The NHS bill is political dynamite and a gift to Labour - The Guardian - July 10th, 2021
- VIDEO: Inflation Hedges Are Gaining in Popularity - Investing Daily - Investing Daily - July 10th, 2021
- Opinion: Your Say: Readers offer what books or writing influenced them - The San Diego Union-Tribune - July 10th, 2021
- Will the Democrats Trust Me? - Splice Today - June 4th, 2021
- Nothing to See Here - The American Prospect - June 4th, 2021
- The bill was never introduced, but Sisolak's Blockchains concept is still alive - Nevada Current - June 4th, 2021
- Step inside Ram Gopal Varma's office, where rooms are named after Donald Trump and Dawood Ibrahim - Hindustan Times - June 4th, 2021
- ALL CREATURES GRATE ON FOX'S 'HOUSEBROKEN' - The Republic - June 4th, 2021
- Congress Is Trying to Give Jeff Bezos's Space Firm $10 Billion of Your Tax Dollars | Hannah Cox - Foundation for Economic Education - June 4th, 2021
- My Turn: To those who fear non-leftists - The Recorder - May 29th, 2021
- The GOP Cant Be Savedand Neither Can Paul Ryan - The Nation - May 29th, 2021
- Army of the Dead mashes a heist flick with zombies - New Times SLO - May 27th, 2021
- Nepal Is the Boat of Democracy on The Road Ahead - IDN InDepthNews | Analysis That Matters - May 27th, 2021
- Video Games That Are Based on Novels Film Daily - Film Daily - May 27th, 2021
- Wisconsin Examiner Kids are getting their shots so should Ron Johnson - Wisconsin Examiner - May 16th, 2021
- Kids Are Getting VaccinatedSo Should Ron Johnson - Progressive.org - May 16th, 2021
- Reverential and referential: A review of the Hebrew Bible for Shavuot eve - The Jewish Standard - May 16th, 2021
- People Share the Book Titles That Would Make Them Walk Out of a First Date - Newsweek - May 11th, 2021
- Zack Snyder Has Delayed The Fountainhead Because He Thinks It Will Freak Everyone Out - MovieWeb - May 11th, 2021
- Rushs music taught me that I could grow, that I could change - The Globe and Mail - May 7th, 2021
- These COVID-19 patients coped with isolation and anxiety in their own uplifting ways - The Hindu - May 7th, 2021
- Climate targets must be realistic -- and demand the impossible - The Harvell gazette - May 7th, 2021
- Emily at the Edge of Chaos Peering over the precipice [MOVIE REVIEW] - Easy Reader - May 4th, 2021
- THE TEACHER'S DESK: We're almost there | Columns | thetimestribune.com - Times Tribune of Corbin - April 11th, 2021
- Allison Hanes: Laissez-faire fatalism seems to have infected Legault - Montreal Gazette - March 31st, 2021
- Letter: Re: Ethan Orr's Article on the Middle Class - Arizona Daily Star - March 31st, 2021
- Reaching Active Minds: Ayn Rand and the Ford Hall Forum - New Ideal - March 25th, 2021
- In Mosaic's darkly funny 'Inherit the Windbag,' an epic bickerfest (ep. 3) - DC Metro Theater Arts - March 25th, 2021
- Ralph Nader on Corporatism's Threat to Democracy - Progressive.org - March 25th, 2021
- There is such a thing as society: it has overcome Covid and restored the truth - TheArticle - March 20th, 2021
- Letter to the editor | UPJ nowhere to be found on Outlier site - TribDem.com - March 20th, 2021
- Talks of replacing Woody Allen in Ann Arbor mural reignited after new documentary - MLive.com - March 20th, 2021
- We wince; therefore, we are | Our Readers Speak | register-herald.com - Beckley Register-Herald - March 20th, 2021
- Why We Need Shakespeare and Beethoven - The Dispatch - March 20th, 2021
- The Worst Ted Cruz Moments in History - Dallas Observer - March 20th, 2021
- The Books That Shaped Tina Howard and Teas to Pair With Them - Fort Worth Magazine - March 7th, 2021
- Are You Bullish or Bearish on America and Wall Street? - Stock Investor - March 7th, 2021
- Satire: Why two beers is the perfect amount - The State Press - March 7th, 2021
- Elon Musk and Amber Heard: How Did the Two Celebrities Meet? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 7th, 2021
- CPAC Exposed the GOP's Fight for the Working Class as Just Another Culture War | Opinion - Newsweek - March 7th, 2021
- An Excerpt From 'Peter and the Wolves' by Adele Bertei on the Brief, Brilliant Life of Peter Laughner - Cleveland Scene - February 10th, 2021
- Our nation has never fully agreed on much, but it hasn't always torn itself apart | TheHill - The Hill - February 8th, 2021
- Paul and Romney embarrass themselves by lashing out at trans athletes - Outsports - February 8th, 2021
- Why Telling Students to 'Trust the Experts' Is Poor Advice | Caroline Breashears - Foundation for Economic Education - February 8th, 2021
- Liz was Isolated as a Felon on the Run, Transitioning Alone: Nick Cammilleri and Zackary Drucker on Their HBO Docuseries The Lady and the Dale -... - February 8th, 2021
- Letter: Pleased that Newhouse defended Constitution | Letters To Editor | yakimaherald.com - Yakima Herald-Republic - January 29th, 2021
- The more I practice, the better my luck - Las Cruces Bulletin - January 29th, 2021
- Geddy Lee on the Genius of Neil Peart - Rolling Stone - January 29th, 2021
- The Lady and The Dale | Review - The GATE - January 29th, 2021
- Ayn Rand on Morality and the Misuse of Political Power - New Ideal - January 27th, 2021
- 'The Lady and the Dale': TV Review - Hollywood Reporter - January 27th, 2021
- Closer to the park: St. Catharines commissions artwork to honour Rush drummer Neil Peart - The Globe and Mail - January 27th, 2021
- No more echo chambers: the internet's best left-wing thinkers - Spectator.co.uk - January 27th, 2021
- Currencies get back to the task at hand - FXStreet - January 27th, 2021
- Wikipedia is the last bastion of idealism on the internet Prospect Magazine - Prospect Magazine - January 27th, 2021
- article image Op-Ed: Investors making big money, but where are the trillions going? - Digital Journal - January 19th, 2021
- Unmasking the Deceased Programmer Who Donated 28 Bitcoin to Capitol Hill Rioters - Crypto Briefing - January 19th, 2021
- An Expert Explains the US Capitol Hill riot: anatomy of an insurrection - The Indian Express - January 15th, 2021
- PERRY: Mayor Coffman's mock-homeless close-up highlights the danger of unreality TV - Sentinel Colorado - January 15th, 2021
- The Meaning Of Work For A Happy Life (And New Year) - Forbes - January 15th, 2021
- Is It Selfish to Never Wear a Mask? - New Ideal - October 22nd, 2020
- Ayn Rands power isnt dimmed by the collectivist age of the pandemic - Telegraph.co.uk - October 20th, 2020
- What Tech Calls Thinking: Book Review | by Joshua Adams | Oct, 2020 - Medium - October 20th, 2020
- Welcome to Dystopia: 45 Visions of What Lies Ahead - Morning Star Online - October 20th, 2020
- The Dictatorial Impulse Behind the Shaming of PPP Recipients - New Ideal - July 21st, 2020
- Instead Of Open Or Closed, Dial Your Mind To Active - Forbes - July 21st, 2020
- Big problems with the Paycheck Protection Program? - The Week - July 21st, 2020
- Finally: Diamond and Silk are releasing a book - The Spectator USA - July 21st, 2020
- Tagore's Gora to Krishnamurthy's Ponniyin Selvan: Add these regional language books to your reading list - India Today - July 21st, 2020
- When MGM and the FBI Chased 'The Father of the Atomic Bomb' - WhoWhatWhy - July 21st, 2020
- What's Wrong With Ayn Rand's Philosophy? - The Objective ... - July 13th, 2020
- In sign of the times, Ayn Rand Institute approved for PPP loan - Reuters - July 13th, 2020
- 'We Took PPP Funds and Would Do It Again' - New Ideal - July 13th, 2020
- Auchter's Art: The confusing narrative of Betsy DeVos - Michigan Radio - July 13th, 2020
- Wisconsin school board member asked to resign after posting that 'George Floyd is drug free for 2 months' - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - July 13th, 2020