In this article we will take a look at the 10 best crypto, bitcoin stocks to buy instead of overvalued Coinbase. You can skip our comprehensive analysis of the crypto industry and go directly to the 5 Best Crypto, Bitcoin Stocks to Buy Instead of Overvalued Coinbase.
San Francisco-based cryptocurrency exchange platform Coinbase Global, Inc. (NASDAQ: COIN) went public on April 15 with a market capitalization of $86 billion. Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong became one of the richest men in the world after the listing, with some 40 million shares he owns in the firm equating to almost $16 billion in value. The company was founded by Armstrong in 2012 and is one of the largest crypto exchange platforms globally and facilitates the buying, selling, and storage of digital currencies, including giants like bitcoin and ethereum.
The platform has more than 56 million users internationally out of which more than 6 million use the exchange every month. On the back of increasing trade, the firm generated more than $1 billion in annual revenue last year, up more than 135% compared to the preceding year as the pandemic boosted cryptocurrency-linked platforms. It has so far hosted transactions worth more than $335 billion from more than a hundred countries.
News media has described the public listing of Coinbase as a watershed moment for the crypto industry that will usher in the crypto gold rush and make the new technology mainstream. However, there is reason to exercise extreme caution as reckless finance advisors bully investors into betting on crypto. There are several reasons for this. Coinbase was valued at over $85 billion when it listed, a capitalization that stock experts believe is overvalued. Peter Cohan, an American businessmen and financial expert, has termed the firm not worth the price.
The numbers would seem to back this opinion. Coinbase, on the day it went public, was valued near the market cap of investment bank HSBC Holdings plc (NYSE: HSBC) and larger than other traditional names in the banking industry like UBS Group AG (NYSE: UBS) and Banco Santander, S.A. (NYSE: SAN). These banks have trillions of dollars worth of assets under their care and have years of experience of how to turn them into profits. The higher valuation of Coinbase seems a little confusing in this context.
David Trainer, the CEO of investment research firm New Constructs, has compared the valuation of Coinbase to the boom in aviation and auto manufacturing industry over the early part of the second half of the twentieth century, saying that many companies were valued highly at the time but precious few have survived. However, even though Coinbase may be overvalued, there is still reason to be bullish on the crypto industry in general. The momentum that seemed to have favored traditional finance in the battle against fintech is definitely shifting.
The entire hedge fund industry is feeling the reverberations of the changing financial landscape. Its reputation has been tarnished in the last decade, during which its hedged returns couldnt keep up with the unhedged returns of the market indices. On the other hand, Insider Monkeys research was able to identify in advance a select group of hedge fund holdings that outperformed the S&P 500 ETFs by more than 124 percentage points since March 2017. Between March 2017 and February 26th 2021 our monthly newsletters stock picks returned 197.2%, vs. 72.4% for the SPY. Our stock picks outperformed the market by more than 124 percentage points (see the details here). We were also able to identify in advance a select group of hedge fund holdings that significantly underperformed the market. We have been tracking and sharing the list of these stocks since February 2017 and they lost 13% through November 16th. Thats why we believe hedge fund sentiment is an extremely useful indicator that investors should pay attention to. You can subscribe to our free newsletter on our homepage to receive our stories in your inbox.
With this context in mind, here is our list of 10 best crypto, bitcoin stocks to buy instead of the overvalued Coinbase.
Riot Blockchain, Inc. (NASDAQ: RIOT) is a Colorado-based Bitcoin mining company. The firm supports Bitcoin blockchain through the industrial-scale mining of the cryptocurrency. Riot employs more than 7,000 miners for the purpose and is currently based in the United States only. The company is one of the largest publicly traded crypto mining operations in the world and has plans to expand to countries outside the US in the future. It is placed tenth on our list of 10 best crypto, bitcoin stocks to buy instead of the overvalued Coinbase.
It has a market cap of more than $4.2 billion and reported more than $12 million in annual revenue in December 2020, up almost $6 million to the previous year. The 52-week price range of company stock hovers between $5.3-$0.6. Earlier this month, Riot announced that it had acquired Whinstone US, a firm operating colocation data centers for cryptocurrency mining. The share price of Riot stock jumped more than 5.5% earlier in the week after it announced that its March Bitcoin production had risen 80% compared to the previous year.
HIVE Blockchain Technologies Ltd. (TSXV: HIVE.V) is a Vancouver-based company focused on the use of supercomputing assets and cloud software for the mining of popular cryptocurrencies like Ethereum and Bitcoin. The company says that the operations provide shareholders of the firm an inroad into the margins associated with crypto mining. The share price of the firm is closely linked to Bitcoin and as Bitcoin prices rise, HIVE stock skyrockets as well. It is placed ninth on our list of 10 best crypto, bitcoin stocks to buy instead of the overvalued coinbase.
The company has a market cap of more than $1.2 billion and posted more than $29 million in annual revenue in March 2020, down slightly from $31 million the year before. The 52-week price range of HIVE stock lies between $5.75 and $0.16. Last month, the firm announced that it inked a strategic partnership deal with financial services firm DeFi Technologies for a share swap arrangement. Under the deal, HIVE would receive 10 million DeFi shares for 4 million HIVE shares. The transaction is expected to be complete by the end of this week.
Marathon Digital Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: MARA) is a Las Vegas-based firm that mines cryptocurrencies. It concentrates on the blockchain ecosystem and digital assets The company has plans to expand current operations of more than 2,600 Bitcoin miners to 103,000 miners in the coming years. The proprietary data center of Marathon, located in Hardin MT, has a maximum power capacity of 105 Megawatts. The company is placed eighth on our list of 10 best crypto, bitcoin stocks to buy instead of the overvalued Coinbase.
The firm has a market cap of more than $4.25 billion and posted more than $4 million in annual revenue in December 2020. The 52-week share price of the firm tell a story of every other cryptocurrency firm, a high-risk, high-reward game, as it hovers between $57.7 and $0.3. Last month, the company announced that it had entered into a deal with crypto technology firm DMG Blockchain Solutions to license proprietary Blockseer technology of DMG for crypto miners in North America. Marathon has also launched a North American Bitcoin mining pool.
Argo Blockchain plc (LSE: ARB.L) is a London-based cryptocurrency firm that focuses on large scale mining of digital currencies. The mining operations of the firm are located in locations scattered the United States and Canada. The firm claims that the operations it engages in are more energy-efficient mining - crypto mining consumes a lot of electricity - than those of other firms. These efficiencies translate to better overall margins for the firm in the longer term, something it markets to potential investors across the world.
It has a market cap of more than $1.05 billion and posted close to $6.8 million in revenue for the second quarter of 2020, down slightly from $6.9 reported in the preceding quarter. The 52-week price range of company stock is $4.6-$0.9. In January, the firm reported that it had mined 96 Bitcoin in December 2020, down from 115 Bitcoin mined in the previous month. Peter Wall, the CEO of Argo, said the firm was excited as the crypto market had entered the new year on a roll and more widespread adoption of cryptocurrencies was expected in the year.
Canaan Inc. (NASDAQ: CAN) is a China-based technology firm that makes computer hardware like microprocessors. The company specializes in Blockchain servers and microchip solutions for use in bitcoin mining. It is also involved in the assembly, supply chain, and distribution of system products. The firm has stakes in the artificial intelligence and data center business as well. It was founded in 2013 and is placed eight on our list of 10 best crypto, bitcoin stocks to buy instead of the overvalued Coinbase.
It has a market cap of more than $2.1 billion and posted more than $68.5 million in annual revenue in December 2020, down more than $140 million from the previous year as the pandemic hit the sales of the firm. The shares of the firm have been soaring on the back of rising Bitcoin prices. The 52-week price range of company stock lies between $39.1 and $1.7. On April 15, a law firm announced that a group of investors may initiate class action against the firm for alleged securities fraud.
Click to continue reading and see 5 Best Crypto, Bitcoin Stocks to Buy Instead of Overvalued Coinbase.
Disclosure: None. 10 Best Crypto, Bitcoin Stocks to Buy Instead of Overvalued Coinbase is originally published on Insider Monkey.
- If you're thinking about investing in bitcoin, consider these risks first If you've gotten - CNBC - June 6th, 2021
- Elon Musk has been dragging Bitcoin where it dreaded to go - Mint - June 6th, 2021
- Square will invest $5 million to build solar-powered bitcoin mining facility - The Verge - June 6th, 2021
- We Own Our Money': Bitcoin Conference In Miami Is The Biggest Yet - NBC 6 South Florida - June 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin falls on fear of Weibo suspending some crypto accounts - Economic Times - June 6th, 2021
- Why Bitcoins wild ride bodes well for the future of digital cash - Business Standard - June 6th, 2021
- View: Elon Musk is pulling Bitcoin where it loathed to go - Economic Times - June 6th, 2021
- Few, if any, financial advisers expected to recommend bitcoin and dogecoin to clients --- here's how many now suggest buying crypto - MarketWatch - June 6th, 2021
- (BTC USD) Bitcoin, Crypto Unlikely to Escape Regulation: Riksbank Governor - Bloomberg - June 6th, 2021
- The real price of the bitcoin gold rush - Finextra - Finextra - Finextra - Finextra - May 14th, 2021
- Bitcoin Isn't Behaving as an Inflation Hedge. Its Move Still Makes Sense - Bloomberg - May 14th, 2021
- ETF Wrap: Is a new 'crypto' fund the long-awaited bitcoin ETF in disguise - MarketWatch - May 14th, 2021
- Here's How Much Square Is Relying on Bitcoin - Motley Fool - May 14th, 2021
- Brex Partners With TravelBank To Launch Bitcoin And Ether Rewards Program For Businesses - Forbes - May 14th, 2021
- Australian man Craig Wright who says he created bitcoin takes 4bn claim to London high court - The Guardian - May 14th, 2021
- SEC Warns of Bitcoin Futures Risks in Mutual Fund Investments - Bloomberg - May 14th, 2021
- Will We Have a Bitcoin ETF This Year - Bloomberg - May 14th, 2021
- If Bitcoin Doesnt Rally Soon The Selloff Will Be Devastating - Forbes - May 11th, 2021
- Bitcoin SV: The Original Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- Is There A Bitcoin Supply Shortage? - Bitcoin Magazine - May 11th, 2021
- This bitcoin misconception could be what takes it to $250,000, according to Morgan Creeks Yusko - CNBC - May 11th, 2021
- Factbox: Bitcoin's march towards the mainstream - Reuters - May 11th, 2021
- Crypto This Week: Mark Zuckerberg Names His Goat Bitcoin and Dogecoin Goes to the Moon - TheStreet - May 11th, 2021
- CME says more than 100000 micro bitcoin futures traded in first six days - Reuters - May 11th, 2021
- Why Some Money Experts Believe In Bitcoin and Others Dont - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- A Privacy Standard In Bitcoin, And How It Will Protect Bitcoin Users - Bitcoin Magazine - May 11th, 2021
- Dogelon Mars, Shiba Inu and Dogecoin take the lead as Bitcoin consolidates - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2021
- My dad wants to invest in Bitcoin. Should he? - NJ.com - May 11th, 2021
- Bitcoin vs. Ethereum: 10 experts told us which asset they'd rather hold, and why - Markets Insider - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC USD) Cryptocurrency Price: Bank of England Warns of Full Losses - Bloomberg - May 9th, 2021
- SEC Chairman Gary Gensler says more investor protections are needed for bitcoin and crypto markets - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Forget Bitcoin: Here are The Crypto Assets To Follow - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- Should you invest in Bitcoin or Ether? - The National - May 9th, 2021
- Downtown Josh Brown on bitcoin and wealth management - The Block Crypto - May 9th, 2021
- Mark Cuban: The 3 ways Ethereum 'dwarfs' bitcoin - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Metromile Will Embrace Bitcoin For Insurance Premium And Claim Payments - Forbes - May 9th, 2021
- FBI: Knoxville man paid hitman in Bitcoin to kill his wife - WATE 6 On Your Side - May 9th, 2021
- S&P Dow Jones brings bitcoin, ethereum to Wall St with cryptocurrency indexes - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin Association releases 2020 annual report highlighting work and achievements advancing Bitcoin SV - GlobeNewswire - May 9th, 2021
- S&P Dow Jones brings bitcoin, ethereum to Wall St with cryptocurrency indexes - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2021
- 3 reasons why Bitcoin is on shaky ground after failing to retake $60K - Cointelegraph - May 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC) Attempts to Create Higher Low After Rejection - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin Association releases 2020 annual report highlighting work and achievements advancing Bitcoin SV - WFMZ Allentown - May 4th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Clamor: Paying Employees in Bitcoin Has Reached the Mainstream - JD Supra - May 4th, 2021
- More Than 1600 Participate In Mays Innovation Research Center Bitcoin Conference - Texas A&M Today - Texas A&M University Today - May 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin Rebounds After Hitting Lowest Level Since March - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Crypto Dominance Declines as Ether Soars Past $3,000 - Bloomberg - May 3rd, 2021
- If You Bought $1,000 Worth of Bitcoin a Year Ago, Here's How Much You'd Have Today - The Motley Fool - May 3rd, 2021
- Charlie Munger 'hates' bitcoin's rise: 'disgusting and contrary to interests of civilization' - MarketWatch - May 3rd, 2021
- Will Bitcoin replace gold as the ultimate store of wealth? - ABC News - May 3rd, 2021
- Leak Reveals Millions Of PayPal And Robinhood Bitcoin Buyers May Soon Want To Make A Surprising Switch Amid Bitcoin Price Mania - Forbes - May 3rd, 2021
- Digital currency ether hits a record high, stealing bitcoin's limelight - CNBC - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Crash vs. Correction: Do You Know the Difference? - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2021
- Why Care About Bitcoin? Here's One Philosopher's Take - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Is Number One Pick Asset Manager Confident BTC Will Take Him 'to the Top' in Stock Draft Competition Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Taproot Upgrade Has Started Its Speedy Trial - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2021
- Feds arrest founder of bitcoin mixer they say laundered $335 million over ten years - The Verge - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Illuminates Inflation In The Fog - Bitcoin Magazine - May 3rd, 2021
- Tesla Reports Record Earnings, With More Than A Bit Of Help From Bitcoin - NPR - May 3rd, 2021
- UBS Chief Economist Says 'Bitcoin Is Denied to Minority Groups Who Have Reduced Online Access' News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 3rd, 2021
- Ether Should Outperform Bitcoin Over the Long Run, Says JPMorgan - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2021
- 19 Stocks With Exposure to Bitcoin - Barron's - May 3rd, 2021
- Mila Kunis warned Ashton Kutcher against investing in Uber and Bitcoin - Insider - May 3rd, 2021
- Over $200 billion wiped off cryptocurrency market in a day as bitcoin plunges below $50,000 - CNBC - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin drops below $50,000, dented in part by rising U.S. tax worries - MarketWatch - April 23rd, 2021
- Behind Bitcoins Recent Slide: Imploding Bets and Forced Liquidations - The Wall Street Journal - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin bears are stalking crypto prices --- here's how low they could go - MarketWatch - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin is at its lowest level in nearly a month. 2 experts explain why they see more weakness ahead. - Markets Insider - April 23rd, 2021
- First Mideast Bitcoin ETF Aims to Raise More Than $200 Million - Bloomberg - April 23rd, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is Making Its Way onto the Balance Sheet - ETF Trends - April 23rd, 2021
- Women Step Up Trading in Bitcoin, Other Cryptocurrencies - The Wall Street Journal - April 23rd, 2021
- Here's where you can shop with Bitcoin and other crypto - Yahoo Money - April 23rd, 2021
- Why is ethereum on a tear of late, outperforming bitcoin? - Mint - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Association appoints new ambassadors for Japan and the South Pacific to advance Bitcoin SV - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Dogecoin Falls Below 20 Cents, Bitcoin Below $50K Amid Wide Sell-Off, But These Two Cryptos Are On A Run Today - Benzinga - April 23rd, 2021
- UK to explore issuing its own digital currency amid bitcoin boom - CNBC - April 23rd, 2021
- Bill Gates betting on total collapse of Bitcoin as cryptocurrency slumps: Analysts - Republic TV - April 23rd, 2021
- JPMorgan warns of bitcoin weakness as futures get liquidated - Economic Times - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin rally this year is the start of going mainstream, not a bubble, says investor Bill Miller - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- After a wild weekend, bitcoin could take a breather before the next move higher - CNBC - April 21st, 2021