If a star is gigantic enough, it can collapse in on itself to form a black hole. Stars that are still huge, but not big enough to become black holes, tend to explode in supernovae, eventually transforming intowhat is known as a neutron star.
What has long puzzled scientists is that the smallest black holes tend to be at least five times the mass of the Sun, while neutron stars are at most 2.5 times the mass of the Sun. Inside those boundaries lies what has become known as the mass gap a mysterious range between the mass of black holes and neutron stars.
Now, though, a new discovery by a team of European astronomers seems to fit into that gap, suggesting a new class of objects that were thought to be impossible.
Using the National Science Foundations Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) in Louisiana and the Virgo detector in Italy, a team of experts discovered an unusual celestial object thatsabout 2.6 times the mass of the Sun.
The reason these findings are so exciting is because weve never detected an object with a mass that is firmly inside the theoretical mass gap between neutron stars and black holes before, Laura Nuttall, a gravitational wave expert from the University of Portsmouths Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation, and co-author of the paper published in The Astrophysical Journal today, said in a statement. Is it the lightest black hole or the heaviest neutron star weve ever seen?
The object dubbed a black neutron star by the BBC was first detected in August, when it merged with a massive black hole of 23 solar masses, transforming into a final black hole of 25 solar masses some 800 million light-years from Earth.
The two objects were extremely different in mass, making it an highly unusual merger.
Its a challenge for current theoretical models to form merging pairs of compact objects with such a large mass ratio in which the low-mass partner resides in the mass gap, Vicky Kalogera, professor at Northwestern University in the United States, and co-author, said in the statement.
The mass ratio was so off, Kalogera likened it to Pac-Man eating a little dot and in one bite.
This discovery implies these events occur much more often than we predicted, making this a really intriguing low-mass object, she added.
But we still cant say for certain that we know what it actually is.
The mystery object may be a neutron star merging with a black hole, an exciting possibility expected theoretically but not yet confirmed observationally, Kalogera said. However, at 2.6 times the mass of our sun, it exceeds modern predictions for the maximum mass of neutron stars, and may instead be the lightest black hole ever detected.
READ MORE: Black neutron star discovery baffles astronomers [BBC]
More on neutron stars: Astronomers Watch Neutron Star Charge Up Before Huge X-Ray Blast
Follow this link:
Astronomers May Have Discovered First-Ever Black Neutron Star - Futurism
- The Futurist art movement tried its hand at cooking, with unappetizing results - The A.V. Club - September 26th, 2020
- What could our lives be like in 2025? Futurists think Americans may eat, fly and go to school differently post-COVID - USA TODAY - September 26th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Find First-Ever Planet in Another Galaxy - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Global Motorcycle Rental Market provides a futurist Forecast of the market growth in the post-COVID-19 scenario - Verdant News - September 26th, 2020
- Global Outsourced Semiconductor Assembly and Test (OSAT) Market provides a futurist Forecast of the market growth in the post-COVID-19 scenario -... - September 26th, 2020
- Earth Appears to Be Capturing a Tiny New Moon - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Global Floating Wind Turbines Market provides a futurist Forecast of the market growth in the post-COVID-19 scenario - The Daily Chronicle - September 26th, 2020
- Beijing motor show - Infiniti QX60 preview | Automotive Industry Analysis - just-auto.com - September 26th, 2020
- Life May Have Hopped From Earth to Venus on Asteroid, Scientists Say - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Tesla's "Plaid" Model S is Real and It's Fast as Hell - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Russia Wants to Be the First to Shoot a Movie In Space - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- The International Space Station Had to Dodge a Piece of Space Junk Last Night - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- The new concept from Great Wall was similar to the Volga - The Times Hub - September 26th, 2020
- NASA Is Heading to the Far Side of the Moon to Study the Ancient Universe - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Astronomers Spot Bits of Entirely Different Asteroid on Surface of Bennu - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Have Proved That Crows Have Conscious Experiences - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- NASA and the US Space Force Are Officially Teaming Up - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- Astronomers Discover "Pi Earth" Planet That Orbits Every 3.14 Days - Futurism - September 26th, 2020
- SETI Team Increases Number of Stars That Might Host Life by 200x - Futurism - September 4th, 2020
- Fauci: We Could Cut Trials Short and Give Out COVID Vaccine "Right Now" - Futurism - September 4th, 2020
- Chadwick Bosemans Wakanda: Afro-Futurism Is in the Present - Common Dreams - September 4th, 2020
- Scientists Are Running Out of Primates to Test Vaccines On - Futurism - September 4th, 2020
- What Goes Right and Wrong When We Predict a High-Tech Future - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - September 4th, 2020
- Futurist says coronavirus could last for years 'like the Great Depression' - Mirror Online - July 5th, 2020
- Climate Change Threatens 60 Percent of the World's Fish Species - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- This Scientist Says He's Built a Jet Engine That Turns Electricity Directly Into Thrust - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- One Particular Spot on Earth Is Getting Colder Instead of Hotter - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- The Large Hadron Collider Just Discovered a Brand-New Particle - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Scientists Say They've Found the Exact Center of the Solar System - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- When Futurism Meets With Disaster: Max Brooks' Devolution - tor.com - July 5th, 2020
- Extremely Dubious Scientist Believes There's Mushrooms and Lichen on Mars - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- This Forest Fire Was So Huge, NASA Spotted It From Space - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- 5 Ways Brands Can Take Meaningful Action During This Time - Forbes - July 5th, 2020
- NASA Invents Wearable That Scolds You For Touching Your Face - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Researchers Say You Can Improve Your Eyesight by Staring at This Specific Type of Light - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Even With Insurance, the COVID Drug Remdesivir Is Shockingly Expensive - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Augmented Human: 5 Times Ive Used Technology To Augment Myself - Forbes - July 5th, 2020
- A Giant Star Appears to Have Winked Out of Existence - Futurism - July 5th, 2020
- Introducing the Campus Technology Insider Podcast - Campus Technology - June 24th, 2020
- This is What Sunsets on Other Planets Would Look Like - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- NASA: Next Moon Astronauts Will Hike 10 Miles on Lunar Surface - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- As fashion resets, its algorithms should too - Vogue Business - June 24th, 2020
- China Is Building a Genetic Database of Every Man in the Country - Futurism - June 24th, 2020
- The Death of the Open-Plan Office? Not Quite, but a Revolution is in the Air - Nextgov - June 24th, 2020
- Freestyle Acquires Divos!; Docs The Prison Within & Superhuman Find Homes; Random Media Takes Opus Of An Angel Film Deal Briefs - Deadline - June 24th, 2020
- Nicholas Mallis' Final Station, And More Music News and Gossip | Flagpole - Flagpole Magazine - June 24th, 2020
- Renewal Shows the Possibility of a Better World Post-Covid - Press Release - Digital Journal - June 24th, 2020
- Working from home is missing something that only offices and cities can provide - MarketWatch - June 24th, 2020
- Futurist site: Flamingo Land thanked for 'sticking with us'; remarketing the site 'would not be appropriate' says council's deputy leader - The... - June 20th, 2020
- How a global pandemic is changing the world: Part 1 - SmartBrief - June 20th, 2020
- Step into 2030: Join The Drum's futurist session to hear what the next decade holds - The Drum - June 13th, 2020
- This Flying Car Looks Like the DeLorean From "Back to the Future" - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Bad News: Another Deadly Virus Is Spreading in the US - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- This Guy Accidentally Took a Photo That Crashes Android Smartphones - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Coronavirus live updates: Here's what to know in South Florida on June 12 - msnNOW - June 13th, 2020
- Scientists Claim the Universe Is Actually Flat - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- SpaceX Trying to Figure Out How to Land Starship on the Moon - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Scientists Claim to Have Recreated Earth's First Life - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Collapsed Star Proves Another of Einstein's Theories - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Elon Musk: Teslas Semi Truck is Officially Going Into Production - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- This Quasar Warps Itself Into a Ring by Distorting Spacetime - Futurism - June 13th, 2020
- Justice League: Who Is the DC Universe's Tony Stark? | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - June 13th, 2020
- A Futurist's Advice on Navigating through the Technology Valley of Death - CEOWORLD magazine - June 13th, 2020
- A Futurist Explains What Emerging Jobs Will Be Necessary Post-Virus - Hit 107 - June 6th, 2020
- Experts: Protests Unlikely to Cause Huge Wave of COVID Cases - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- After Explosion, SpaceX Still Hoping to Launch Starship This Year - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- NASA InSight Lander Finally Manages to Bury Its Probe Into Mars - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Evidence Suggests That the Entire Early Universe Was Rotating - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Elon Musk Just Absolutely Roasted the Russian Space Program - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Study: More Than 500 Vertebrates Poised To Go Extinct - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- Allison Fine Featured in The New Yorker - Philanthropy Women - June 6th, 2020
- MSN Fires Journalists, Replaces Them With AI - Futurism - June 6th, 2020
- What will design look like in 2030? We asked 3 futurists - Business of Home - June 1st, 2020
- Interstellar Visitor May Be One of Rarest Objects In Universe - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- Vancouver Island's long road to recovery will have a few bumps - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - June 1st, 2020
- 5G Technology - The Cybersecurity Implications of Widespread - tripwire.com - June 1st, 2020
- Half the Visible Universe Was Missing. Scientists Just Found It. - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- The New Reality: Future of shopping malls in jeopardy as COVID-19 pandemic pushes shoppers online - cjoy.com - June 1st, 2020
- Only One in Two Americans Say They'd Take a COVID-19 Vaccine - Futurism - June 1st, 2020
- Watch the Astronauts Give Their Kids Virtual Hugs Before Launch - Futurism - June 1st, 2020