CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. The SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket was a pure flying machine compared to the space shuttle, according to the astronauts who rode it into space.
Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken piloted the first manned flight of the Falcon 9 on May 30. Each astronaut had previously been onon two space shuttle missions, and they spoke of their surprise at how comparatively smooth the SpaceX launch was.
From the time the engines lit, the first two-and-a-half minutes to staging was about like we expected, except you can never simulate the Gs, so as the Gs built you could certainly feel those, Hurley toldSpaceflight Now. What I thought was really neat was how sensitive we were to the throttling of the Merlin engines. That was really neat. You could definitely sense that as we broke Mach 1.
He added: We didnt even need to look at the speed. You could tell just by how the rocket felt, so its a very pure flying machine.
Remember, [the]shuttle had solid rocket boosters to start with, Hurley said. Those burned very rough for the first two-and-a-half minutes. The first stage with Falcon 9 were the nine Merlin engines. It was a much smoother ride, obviously, because it was a liquid engine ascent.
Liquid engine ascent is a reference to the mix of super-chilled kerosene and cryogenic liquid oxygen propellants consumed by the Merlin engines.
After the smooth launch, the astronauts said the second stage felt a bitrougher.
The biggest difference is just the dynamics that are involved, the vibration, the experiences that we felt actually riding a real rocket, Behnken said.
It will be interesting to walk with the SpaceX folks to find out why it was a little bit rougher ride on the second stage than it was for shuttle on those three main engines, Hurley added.
The Crew Dragon spacecraft was developed to largely function autonomously, handling all prep and docking with the International Space Station following the 19-hour flight.
NASA is also working with Boeing on itsmanned Starlinercapsule, which is expected to launch early next year.
CLICK HERE to read more stories from FOX News.
- Space junk slams into International Space Station, damaging a robotic arm - CBS News - June 4th, 2021
- Earth looks spectacular from space: 5 images clicked by astronauts on the Space Station - Firstpost - June 4th, 2021
- Spacewalking cosmonauts will decommission an old space station module early Wednesday. Watch it live! - Space.com - June 4th, 2021
- Cosmonauts Finish Spacewalk to Ready Space Station for New Module - SciTechDaily - June 4th, 2021
- China completes another part of its own space station paving the way for astronauts to live there - CNBC - June 4th, 2021
- Guilford companys medical invention on shipment headed to the International Space Station - WTNH.com - June 4th, 2021
- China's New Space Station Will Be Powered by Ion Propulsion System - Interesting Engineering - June 4th, 2021
- Nelson to speak with Rogozin on the future of the ISS - SpaceNews - June 4th, 2021
- Astronauts share images of Himalayas and Italy taken from space. Seen them yet? - Hindustan Times - June 4th, 2021
- China's New Space Station Is Powered by Ion Thrusters - Futurism - June 4th, 2021
- Space Station May Host Wave of TV Shows and Films - The New York Times - May 27th, 2021
- UltraSight Selected to Conduct a Study Onboard the International Space Station - PRNewswire - May 27th, 2021
- Ever wonder what it's like to walk in space? Astronauts tell all - WAPT Jackson - May 27th, 2021
- You'll Be Able to See the Space Station Again This Week in Idaho - kezj.com - May 27th, 2021
- ISS astronaut snaps supermoon and lunar eclipse from orbit - CNET - May 27th, 2021
- Squid, cotton and 'water bears' among cargo headed to the International Space Station - WTSP.com - May 27th, 2021
- Lunar Eclipse 2021: The Full Moon From The International Space Station - NDTV - May 27th, 2021
- Anson: Cabernet and Merlot 'space vines' take root on earth - Decanter - decanter.com - May 27th, 2021
- Asteroid mining, space tourism and the new space race - Equal Times - May 27th, 2021
- Orbital space tourism poised to take off later this year - SpaceFlight Insider - May 27th, 2021
- Lewis Center selected for NASA program that connects students to International Space Station astronauts - VVdailypress.com - May 24th, 2021
- Discovery adventure TV show to launch winning contestant to the space station - CNBC - May 24th, 2021
- Earth looks like Mars in surprising astronaut photo from the ISS - CNET - May 24th, 2021
- One Night in Bangkok - NASA - May 24th, 2021
- Chinas Ambitious Plans in Space: The Moon, Mars and Beyond - The New York Times - May 24th, 2021
- Acting Secretary of the Air Force, Chief of Space Operations Visits Cape Canaveral Space Force Station - SpaceCoastDaily.com - May 24th, 2021
- Triangle-shaped UFO spotted flying past International Space station as viewers claim glowing aircraft is... - The Irish Sun - May 24th, 2021
- International Space Station to play starring role in Top League final - RugbyPass - May 24th, 2021
- Moon & Mars done, Jupiter & Uranus next on the list Chinas racing away in space too - ThePrint - May 24th, 2021
- Who wants to be an astronaut? Discovery Channel contest offers chance to win a trip to space - MassLive.com - May 24th, 2021
- Sea burials: Where space stations, rockets rust in peace - YourStory - May 24th, 2021
- Brownsville ISD students to hear from astronauts aboard the International Space Station - KGBT-TV - May 11th, 2021
- Could the Next Space Station Be a Hotel? - Bloomberg - May 11th, 2021
- NASAs NICER Telescope: Eyes on top of the International Space Station studying Neutron Stars - CW39 - May 11th, 2021
- Review: Base One Is a Compelling but Flawed Space Station Builder - thirdcoastreview.com - May 11th, 2021
- UCLA Engineering In-Flight Conversation with SpaceX Crew 2 aboard the International Space Station - UCLA Samueli School of Engineering Newsroom - May 11th, 2021
- Space station visible from Cayman twice this week - Cayman Compass - May 11th, 2021
- China says its rocket debris landed in the Indian Ocean - CNBC - May 11th, 2021
- Steve Mann: Michael David Winery sends grape juice to the space station - Lodi News-Sentinel - May 11th, 2021
- Can You Survive Skydiving Off the ISS? - Interesting Engineering - May 11th, 2021
- Redwire Delivers the ISS' New Roll-Out Solar Arrays to Boeing - Via Satellite - May 11th, 2021
- Russia wants to build its own space station to replace the ISS, state officials say - Space.com - April 29th, 2021
- First element of Chinese space station ready for liftoff Spaceflight Now - Spaceflight Now - April 29th, 2021
- China is about to start building a space station in orbit - New Scientist News - April 29th, 2021
- International Space Station Cruises Across the Moon, Caught in Sunlight: Watch the Video - Gadgets 360 - April 29th, 2021
- Its Dinner Time on the Space Station. Lobster or Beef Bourguignon? - The New York Times - April 29th, 2021
- Georgia native blasts off to International Space Station aboard SpaceX rocket - WSB Atlanta - April 29th, 2021
- Life aboard the International Space Station - CBS News - April 19th, 2021
- In photos: The Expedition 64 mission to the International Space Station - Space.com - April 19th, 2021
- New International Space Station Crew To Conduct Hundreds Of Space Experiments - WMFE - April 19th, 2021
- SpaceX agrees to steer Starlink internet satellites clear of space station, NASA spacecraft - Space.com - April 17th, 2021
- Boeings Starliner Is Further Delayed Due to ISS Traffic Jam Created by SpaceX - Observer - April 17th, 2021
- NASA Shares Breathtaking Image Of Our Milky Way Galaxy Captured From The International Space Station! - Mashable India - April 17th, 2021
- 1 week away: NASA, SpaceX's Crew-2 mission to the International Space Station - FOX 35 Orlando - April 15th, 2021
- Astronaut Jessica Meir describes her time in space and return to Earth in talk with Caribou students - Bangor Daily News - April 15th, 2021
- Cannabis on the ISS - Boulder Weekly - April 15th, 2021
- Astronauts need a fridge. Engineers are building one that works in zero gravity and upside down. - Purdue News Service - April 15th, 2021
- As International Space Station shows signs of falling apart, Putin approves ambitious plan for Russia to make its own replacement - RT - April 15th, 2021
- 113-year-old Michigan train station to be redeveloped into mixed-use community space - MLive.com - April 15th, 2021
- SpaceX is outfitting its Dragon spacecraft with an observation dome for space tourists - TechCrunch - March 31st, 2021
- Astronaut Mark Vande Hei Expects A 'Surprisingly Calm' Trip To International Space Station - Here And Now - March 31st, 2021
- When to see the International Space Station in Lancashire skies this week - Lancs Live - March 31st, 2021
- Genius 100 Foundation, MISO go live to the International Space Station - Miami's Community Newspapers - March 31st, 2021
- 20 Years Ago: Space Station Mir Reenters Earths Atmosphere and Disintegrates - SciTechDaily - March 31st, 2021
- Space wine: Researchers analyse wine that spent year on ISS - Al Jazeera English - March 31st, 2021
- Space News: Observing lightning from the International Space Station - Lake County News - March 31st, 2021
- Review: Spacebase Startopia Is the Space Station Management Game I Always Wanted - thirdcoastreview.com - March 31st, 2021
- British musician's moon-themed song beamed to International Space Station - Inverness Courier - March 31st, 2021
- International Space Station making an appearance over CNY this weekend - WSYR - March 21st, 2021
- ISS Space Station to be Seen from Earth Next Week ... Weather Permitting | House - DodoFinance - March 21st, 2021
- Heights business helps get cheese to astronauts on the ISS - KHOU.com - March 21st, 2021
- Nano Dimension and L3Harris send 3D printed radiofrequency circuit to the ISS - 3D Printing Industry - March 21st, 2021
- Podcast: Nanoracks' CEO on Commercializing Space - Aviation Week - March 21st, 2021
- NASA Will Map Every Living Thing on the International Space Station - Scientific American - March 11th, 2021
- China and Russia agree to build lunar space station together - Chron - March 11th, 2021
- China and Russia are building a lunar space station together - Insider - March 11th, 2021
- New study from space station looks at human cells infected with salmonella | TheHill - The Hill - March 11th, 2021
- 3D Scanning Tech Developed For Space Station Can Help Feed People On Earth - Forbes - March 11th, 2021
- NASA-SpaceX launch of next International Space Station crew delayed - The Japan Times - March 9th, 2021
- Russia partners with China for lunar space station - The Verge - March 9th, 2021