Dear Amy: About a year ago, I used one of those genetic testing services. The website shows other users who share genetics with you, and allows everyone to contact each other.
Recently, I got a message from another user (a woman in her 60s in another state), that showed we were a very close genetic match.
She emailed me, saying she was looking for information on her father, whom she had never met. She said her mother had a very brief relationship with aU.S.marine during the Korean War. It turned out he had probably used a fake name. They had no photos, and they were never able to track him down. Her mother later moved to theU.S.
The woman, Janet, asked if it was possible if my grandfather (who is now dead) was her father. She knew very little except for what her mother (also now dead) had told her, including specific identifying physical characteristics. My grandfather was a Korean War veteran and had the exact characteristics she described (including a distinctive tattoo).
My grandfather wouldve been married to my grandmother (who is still alive) when Janet was been conceived. An uncle of mine was born a year before Janet.
I always saw my grandfather as a good, caring family man. I have not told anyone about this. I do not want to tarnish his memory, upset my grandmother, or change how my family views him, when hes not around to defend himself.
Janet would like to meet my aunts and uncles, but I have told her I am not comfortable giving her their contact information. She has recently started pleading with me, and I truly feel awful for not giving it to her.
What do I do here?
Dear Torn: One (perhaps unforeseen) aspect of using genetic testing is the way the results can open up confounding human dilemmas concerning long-buried family secrets. Recently, I was at a gathering where several people had used a genetic matching site and all of them noted shocking, unanticipated results, including being matched with (half) siblings they hadnt known about. And yet all reported that this ultimately was a positive experience.
In your case, Janet has already received useful genetic information. She now (quite understandably) wants more. You should at least answer any questions youre able to answer.
If you arent willing to even ask your aunts and uncles if they would be open to contact with her, then she will have to find another conduit to them.
It would be best if your family was open to the idea that people are complicated, and dont always do the right thing but this is the fullness of the human experience, and ultimately this is something to explore and embrace, rather than deny.
Dear Amy: My husband and I recently became friends with another couple. As a group, we get along famously.
However, lately I do not feel that my friend likes me. She makes remarks about how I dont exercise my dog, how I dont treat my husband right, how I treat my son, how they cant take me anywhere, and the list goes on.
I try not to trigger these comments and shrug them off, as they account for only a few unpleasant moments during several good hours spent together.
I like many other things about this person, but I do not like how she makes me feel when we are together. How do I let her know, without hurting her feelings, and how do I phrase asking her to stop throwing darts my way? Or am I just being too sensitive?
Dear Had Enough: I dont think its a lot to ask for someone to refrain from trashing you so no, you are not being too sensitive.
Tell your friend, I usually enjoy our time together. But you seem to find a lot wrong with me. Honestly, I dont like to be criticized, but especially in front of our husbands. Whats up with that?
She may say, as many do, Hey, I call em like I see em. Then you can tell her, Well, thats a trait that I dont appreciate. Its hurtful, and so I wish you would stop.
Dear Amy: Priority Parent described policing children on the playground. Is this priority parenting or helicopter parenting? Im quite sick of this sort of over-involvement.
Dear Parent: This particular parent had a special-needs child. He is doing his job to pay close attention to potential dangers on the playground.
Go here to see the original:
Ask Amy: DNA testing reveals family secret - The Denver Post
- DNA site helps reunite Washington woman with her son after nearly 60 years - WTHR - December 2nd, 2019
- Can this wristband create your own bespoke DNA diet? - The Telegraph - December 2nd, 2019
- Returning to country: we should use genetics, geology and more to repatriate Aboriginal remains - The Conversation AU - December 2nd, 2019
- DNA - definition of DNA by The Free Dictionary - November 30th, 2019
- DNA India | Latest News, Live Breaking News on India ... - November 30th, 2019
- DNA | definition of DNA by Medical dictionary - November 30th, 2019
- Scientists Discover Structure of Mysterious Protein Central to the Functioning of DNA - SciTechDaily - November 30th, 2019
- DNAs Elusive Chaperone Is Caught in the Act - Technology Networks - November 30th, 2019
- DNA Test Leads To Thanksgiving Reunion 37 Years In The Making - CBS Denver - November 30th, 2019
- Hundreds of Victim and Witness DNA Profiles Removed From New York City Database - The Appeal - November 30th, 2019
- DNA Identifies Northern California Victim After 18 Years - NBC Bay Area - November 30th, 2019
- Dear Abby: Im afraid DNA test will reveal a secret to our 11-year-old - The Mercury News - November 30th, 2019
- DNA confirms remains are those of missing Florida 5-year-old Taylor Rose Williams - NBC News - November 30th, 2019
- A conserved ATP- and Scc2/4-dependent activity for cohesin in tethering DNA molecules - Science Advances - November 30th, 2019
- The new DNA test that predicts your future health - The Times - November 30th, 2019
- Buried Secrets: The DNA journey for a 91-year-old man to find his mother for the very first time - WFAA.com - November 30th, 2019
- Family Found: After DNA tests revealed my long-lost sisters, I received shocking information about who my father was - KMOV.com - November 30th, 2019
- DNA tourism: Tracing ancestry on a wild trip in Sweden leads to rewards and a dapper souvenir - The Spokesman-Review - November 17th, 2019
- 'Potomac River Rapist' serially assaulted women in DC area in '90s, and police have suspect - USA TODAY - November 17th, 2019
- Scientists Find How Mitochondrial DNA is Transferred from Mother to Child - Mitochondrial Disease News - November 17th, 2019
- 23andMes wildly popular $200 DNA test is already down to its Black Friday price of $99 - BGR - November 17th, 2019
- DHS Sued for Answers About Its Use of DNA Testing at the Border - Newsweek - November 15th, 2019
- This wristband tells you what food to buy based on your DNA - World Economic Forum - November 15th, 2019
- Researchers Find More Than 1 Million Alternatives to DNA - ExtremeTech - November 15th, 2019
- The Dawn of Cheap and Easy DNA Writing - NEO.LIFE - November 15th, 2019
- Ant and Decs DNA test merely tells us that were all inbred - The Guardian - November 15th, 2019
- Never could have dreamed this: DNA ancestry test kit leads Wanda Starke on journey to find sister - WXII12 Winston-Salem - November 15th, 2019
- Could The F-35 Really Be American-Built (But Have Russian 'DNA') - The National Interest Online - November 15th, 2019
- Dog DNA Tests: How to discover what your dogs true breed is? - WCBD News 2 - November 15th, 2019
- Her sister was murdered in 1980. New DNA methods could crack the case, but NY won't allow it. - NBC News - November 15th, 2019
- DNA, blood samples support theory Kelsey Berreth was killed in her condo - KMVT - November 15th, 2019
- Why some believe and others reject that DNA could vindicate man executed for murder - Commercial Appeal - November 15th, 2019
- Give me your tired, your poor and your DNA | TheHill - The Hill - November 15th, 2019
- Researchers use CRISPR to eliminate HIV in mice, DNA and all - Massive Science - November 15th, 2019
- Ancestry launches DNA health service that will compete with 23andMe - USA TODAY - October 16th, 2019
- Researchers hope DNA testing may finally prove whether bones found on a remote island were Amelia Earhart's - CNN - October 16th, 2019
- Its Possible to Inherit More DNA From One Parent Than the Other - The Atlantic - October 16th, 2019
- DNA is the future for data storage. That future is coming very soon. - SynBioBeta - October 16th, 2019
- Researchers hope DNA may prove whether bones found on remote island were Amelia Earhart's - WAPT Jackson - October 16th, 2019
- Why DNA Might Be the Data Storage Solution of the Future - Discover Magazine - October 16th, 2019
- DNA proved British pedophile fathered 6 kids with his own daughter - New York Post - October 16th, 2019
- Over 150,000 Americans Have Rare DNA Fluke and Don't Know It, Study of 23andMe Data Finds - Gizmodo - October 16th, 2019
- DNA kits available in Oregon vending machine - WDTN.com - October 16th, 2019
- Applied DNA Partners with Molecular Isotope Technologies to Elevate CertainT for Brand Assurance and Provenance - Business Wire - October 16th, 2019
- Have Natalee Holloway's Remains Finally Been Found? DNA Results Promising, Says Report - Hollywood Life - August 25th, 2017
- Researchers encoded a film clip in DNA and store it inside a living ... - Boing Boing - August 25th, 2017
- New DNA evidence links Warren Forrest to 2 killings - The Columbian - August 25th, 2017
- Missouri governor stays execution of Marcellus Williams, says officials will probe DNA evidence in the case - Washington Post - August 25th, 2017
- Danish police: DNA from dismembered body matches missing journalist - CNN - August 25th, 2017
- Missouri governor stays execution of convicted killer amid new DNA evidence - CNN - August 22nd, 2017
- Intelligence and the DNA Revolution - Scientific American - August 22nd, 2017
- White Supremacists Aren't Thrilled With DNA Testing Results - GOOD Magazine - August 22nd, 2017
- How white supremacists respond when their DNA says they're not 'white' - PBS NewsHour - August 20th, 2017
- I sent in my DNA to get a personalized diet plan. What I discovered disturbs me. - Chicago Tribune - August 20th, 2017
- Federal Funding Cuts Put Missing Persons and John Doe Cases on the Back Burner - TIME - August 20th, 2017
- Scientists Try Gene Editing In Human Embryos : Shots - Health ... - NPR - August 20th, 2017
- Birding: DNA technology gives us new insights into taxonomy - Press Herald - August 20th, 2017
- Updating DNA's Life Story - The New York Times - New York Times - August 20th, 2017
- I sent in my DNA for a personalized nutritional blueprint. Here's what ... - Washington Post - August 20th, 2017
- Kirk Frost Finally Takes DNA Test After Months Of Dodging Jasmine Washington: Why He Finally Agreed - Hollywood Life - August 18th, 2017
- White supremacists take DNA tests, find they're not so white - CNET - August 18th, 2017
- Natalee Holloway's Dad Having Human Remains Tested For DNA - HuffPost - August 18th, 2017
- Let's enjoy the white supremacist freakout after DNA tests show they aren't 100 percent white - Salon - August 18th, 2017
- DNA tests confirm Southern Bluefin Tuna on menu in mainland China - TRAFFIC - Wildlife Trade News - August 18th, 2017
- Supremacists may be 'fine' folks, but first give them DNA tests - Lexington Herald Leader - August 18th, 2017
- Misplaced DNA evidence in sexual assault case found in Houston lab office - Chron.com - August 16th, 2017
- Despite Privacy Concerns, Miami Beach Police Testing "Rapid DNA" Scans on Suspects - Miami New Times - August 16th, 2017
- DNA evidence prompts New Milford police to charge Oxford man in 2014 robbery - Danbury News Times - August 16th, 2017
- Impaired DNA replication can cause epigenetic changes inherited for several generations - Phys.Org - August 16th, 2017
- Scientists develop blood test that spots tumor-derived DNA in people with early-stage cancers - Medical Xpress - August 16th, 2017
- Wednesday's Post: The science of DNA is simply amazing - Journal-Times - August 16th, 2017
- Researchers Hacked Into DNA and Encoded it With Malware - Futurism - August 16th, 2017
- Gina Barreca: White Supremacists Wrong, It's Not Our DNA - Hartford Courant - August 16th, 2017
- Brown, Red And Purple Lines Are Back Running After Morning Shutdown - DNAinfo - August 15th, 2017
- How head-on collisions of DNA protein machines stop replication - Phys.Org - August 15th, 2017
- 45 bodies recovered from Marawi up for DNA tests: PNP - ABS-CBN News - August 15th, 2017
- How does DNA testing work, what are ancestry DNA kits and which celebrities have taken DNA tests? - The Sun - August 14th, 2017
- Spoto High History teacher raising money for DNA project - WTSP 10 News - August 14th, 2017
- Man pleads guilty to Lancaster rape after crime scene DNA match - LancasterOnline - August 14th, 2017
- Researchers hack a computer using DNA - Techworm - August 14th, 2017