Dear Amy: About a year ago, I used one of those genetic testing services. The website shows other users who share genetics with you, and allows everyone to contact each other.
Recently, I got a message from another user (a woman in her 60s in another state), that showed we were a very close genetic match.
She emailed me, saying she was looking for information on her father, whom she had never met. She said her mother had a very brief relationship with aU.S.marine during the Korean War. It turned out he had probably used a fake name. They had no photos, and they were never able to track him down. Her mother later moved to theU.S.
The woman, Janet, asked if it was possible if my grandfather (who is now dead) was her father. She knew very little except for what her mother (also now dead) had told her, including specific identifying physical characteristics. My grandfather was a Korean War veteran and had the exact characteristics she described (including a distinctive tattoo).
My grandfather wouldve been married to my grandmother (who is still alive) when Janet was been conceived. An uncle of mine was born a year before Janet.
I always saw my grandfather as a good, caring family man. I have not told anyone about this. I do not want to tarnish his memory, upset my grandmother, or change how my family views him, when hes not around to defend himself.
Janet would like to meet my aunts and uncles, but I have told her I am not comfortable giving her their contact information. She has recently started pleading with me, and I truly feel awful for not giving it to her.
What do I do here?
Dear Torn: One (perhaps unforeseen) aspect of using genetic testing is the way the results can open up confounding human dilemmas concerning long-buried family secrets. Recently, I was at a gathering where several people had used a genetic matching site and all of them noted shocking, unanticipated results, including being matched with (half) siblings they hadnt known about. And yet all reported that this ultimately was a positive experience.
In your case, Janet has already received useful genetic information. She now (quite understandably) wants more. You should at least answer any questions youre able to answer.
If you arent willing to even ask your aunts and uncles if they would be open to contact with her, then she will have to find another conduit to them.
It would be best if your family was open to the idea that people are complicated, and dont always do the right thing but this is the fullness of the human experience, and ultimately this is something to explore and embrace, rather than deny.
Dear Amy: My husband and I recently became friends with another couple. As a group, we get along famously.
However, lately I do not feel that my friend likes me. She makes remarks about how I dont exercise my dog, how I dont treat my husband right, how I treat my son, how they cant take me anywhere, and the list goes on.
I try not to trigger these comments and shrug them off, as they account for only a few unpleasant moments during several good hours spent together.
I like many other things about this person, but I do not like how she makes me feel when we are together. How do I let her know, without hurting her feelings, and how do I phrase asking her to stop throwing darts my way? Or am I just being too sensitive?
Dear Had Enough: I dont think its a lot to ask for someone to refrain from trashing you so no, you are not being too sensitive.
Tell your friend, I usually enjoy our time together. But you seem to find a lot wrong with me. Honestly, I dont like to be criticized, but especially in front of our husbands. Whats up with that?
She may say, as many do, Hey, I call em like I see em. Then you can tell her, Well, thats a trait that I dont appreciate. Its hurtful, and so I wish you would stop.
Dear Amy: Priority Parent described policing children on the playground. Is this priority parenting or helicopter parenting? Im quite sick of this sort of over-involvement.
Dear Parent: This particular parent had a special-needs child. He is doing his job to pay close attention to potential dangers on the playground.
Go here to see the original:
Ask Amy: DNA testing reveals family secret - The Denver Post
- DNA from baby's remains may identify parents in 50-year-old case in western Pa. - Ellwood City Ledger - July 2nd, 2020
- Cole, Scheck: DNA testing isnt enough. We need the right to fingerprint matching - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - July 2nd, 2020
- Are you a hugger? It might just be in your DNA - Health24 - July 2nd, 2020
- Mitochondrial DNA copy number in cervical exfoliated cells and risk of cervical cancer among HPV-positive women - BMC Blogs Network - July 2nd, 2020
- Hermitage police issue plea, announce DNA probe in 50-year mystery of newborn's remains - TribLIVE - July 2nd, 2020
- 'Reforms are in our DNA' | Business | ekathimerini.com - www.ekathimerini.com - July 2nd, 2020
- DNA Remains Being Tested, Believed to be those of Missing Couple Jonathan and Audrey - NBC Palm Springs - July 2nd, 2020
- Heavy rainfall expected in Mumbai this weekend, orange alert issued - DNA India - July 2nd, 2020
- What is DNA? A look at the basics - Williston Daily Herald - June 24th, 2020
- DNA from ancient Irish tomb reveals incest and an elite class that ruled early farmers - Science Magazine - June 24th, 2020
- Essential Role in Rice Reproduction Revealed for "Dark Matter" DNA - Technology Networks - June 24th, 2020
- The DNA that gave us 100 different kinds of tomatoes - National Science Foundation - June 24th, 2020
- Discover: So you want to have your DNA sequenced .... - Sudbury.com - June 24th, 2020
- Don't Fall for the Impossible Promise of DNA Ancestry Kits - Pajiba - June 24th, 2020
- Century Therapeutics Announces Acquisition of Empirica Therapeutics | DNA RNA and Cells | News Channels - PipelineReview.com - June 24th, 2020
- ArcherDX drops IPO plans in favor of a $1.4B takeover by Invitae - FierceBiotech - June 24th, 2020
- COVID19 Impact- Global DNA and RNA Sample Preparation Market Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players Agilent... - June 24th, 2020
- Novak Djokovic tests positive for COVID-19, joins list of infected tennis players who appeared in Adria Tour - DNA India - June 24th, 2020
- Research on DNA and Gene Chips Market (impact of COVID-19) with Top Players: Bio MrieuxSA, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Savyon Diagnostics, Agilent... - June 24th, 2020
- DNA from a 5,200-year-old Irish tomb hints at ancient royal incest - Science News - June 21st, 2020
- China Is Collecting DNA From Tens of Millions of Men and Boys, Using U.S. Equipment - The New York Times - June 21st, 2020
- DNA Shows Plants Are Extraordinary Chemists Making Love and War - SciTechDaily - June 21st, 2020
- The DNA tricks that gave us 100 different kinds of tomatoes - Yahoo Finance - June 21st, 2020
- Baseball's in her DNA: Reds operations analyst Katie Krall living a dream - The Athletic - June 21st, 2020
- One doesn't have to win the DNA lottery to learn to deal with pain - Manteca Bulletin - June 21st, 2020
- funded study links endometriosis to DNA changes - National Institutes of Health - June 21st, 2020
- Pak-origin 26/11 conspirator Tahawwur Rana arrested in US, likely to be extradited to India - DNA India - June 21st, 2020
- How DNA tests can set you on the path to healthy skin and hair - Telegraph.co.uk - June 21st, 2020
- Watch Solar Eclipse 2020: Here are the Dos and Don'ts to witness the grahan - DNA India - June 21st, 2020
- In Switzerland neuroscientists raised a copy of the brain with the DNA of Neanderthals - The Times Hub - June 21st, 2020
- Atletico Madrid vs Real Valladolid, La Liga: Live streaming, teams, Dream11, time in India (IST) & where to - DNA India - June 21st, 2020
- What Is DNA? Structure, Function, Pictures & Facts - June 17th, 2020
- DNA test kits on sale: Save on 23andMe, AncestryDNA this Father's Day - Mashable - June 17th, 2020
- UK agrees to share suspects' DNA with EU crime-fighting system - The Guardian - June 17th, 2020
- The 2021 Nissan Rogue is a bit disappointing under the hood - Top Speed - June 17th, 2020
- Taylor Williams: NEW court docs reveal DNA blood stain results, Petty Officer mom going 'wild' with men while starving her little girl [DA] -... - June 17th, 2020
- Study highlights dangers of DNA tests used to back up preexisting ideas of race - The Times of Israel - June 17th, 2020
- Cracking the DNA code - Big Ideas - ABC News - June 17th, 2020
- Direct-to-consumer Disease Risk and Health DNA Test Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026... - June 17th, 2020
- Applied DNA secures grant from National Grid partnered with the New York State MEP to support manufacture of COVID-19 diagnostic kits and vaccine... - June 17th, 2020
- Disease Risk and Health DNA Test Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- Barcelona vs Leganes, La Liga: Live streaming, teams, Dream11, time in India (IST) & where to watch on TV - DNA India - June 17th, 2020
- Villarreal vs Mallorca, La Liga: Live streaming, teams, Dream11, time in India (IST) & where to watch on TV - DNA India - June 17th, 2020
- DNA from discarded cigarette leads to arrest in 3-year-old case - Butler Eagle - May 14th, 2020
- Countering the Negative Effects of a Common Antidepressant - Tufts Now - May 14th, 2020
- Canada: DNA discovery lends weight to First Nations ancestral story - The Guardian - May 14th, 2020
- 'Rick and Morty's Anthology Episodes Share the Most DNA with 'Community' - Decider - May 14th, 2020
- DNA/Gene Microarray Market to Reach US$ 7,693.0 Million globally by end of 2027, Owing to Significant Developments in Personalized Medicines - CMI -... - May 14th, 2020
- Genealogy And DNA Testing With Libby Copeland On Wednesday's Access Utah - Utah Public Radio - May 14th, 2020
- DNA and RNA Sample Preparation Kits Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- King Dalindyebo gets backing of AbaThembu faction in royal DNA drama - News24 - May 14th, 2020
- Direct to Consumer (DTC) DNA Test Kits Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- UC Berkeley lab pivots from editing DNA to processing COVID-19 tests - Berkeleyside - March 31st, 2020
- Coroner: DNA will ID victim of fiery collision - The Herald - March 31st, 2020
- Clues to COVID-19 Treatment From DNA of Patients With Severe Forms of Coronavirus Disease - SciTechDaily - March 31st, 2020
- Did DNA evidence identify the real Boston Strangler? - Fox News - March 31st, 2020
- Drake demanded two DNA tests for his son before proudly showing him off to the world - Mirror Online - March 31st, 2020
- The 'Medical Intuitives' Promising to Protect Your DNA Against Coronavirus - VICE - March 31st, 2020
- How is the COVID-19 Virus Detected using Real Time RT-PCR? - International Atomic Energy Agency - March 31st, 2020
- Could New DNA Testing Fully Exonerate The West Memphis Three? - Oxygen - March 31st, 2020
- Applied DNA Ships LinearDNA to Another Development Customer - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2020
- New blood test can detect 50 types of cancer - The Guardian - March 31st, 2020
- Sequencing the genome of the virus behind COVID-19 - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - March 31st, 2020
- 'Solskjaer has Man Utd DNA and brings positivity to the squad' - Everything 'going okay' under Norwegian boss, says Mata - Goal.com - March 31st, 2020
- Why China's Jf-17 Fighter Has American F-16 "DNA" - The National Interest - March 31st, 2020
- The human DNA is littered with fossils of viruses past that attacked us. And lost - Telegraph India - March 31st, 2020
- Canadian Researchers are Attempting to Develop One DNA Vaccine to Stop All Coronaviruses - The Weather Channel - March 31st, 2020
- DNA from bloody towel leads to conviction of Cork city burglar - Echo Live - March 31st, 2020
- Coming back from a crisis is in theatre's DNA just look at the Royal Exchange - WhatsOnStage.com - March 31st, 2020
- 'It is part of a firefighter's DNA to provide help during difficult times' - Yorkshire Evening Post - March 31st, 2020
- DNA explained: Structure and function - March 26th, 2020
- A mother and son reflect on how a DNA test affects family and identity - PBS NewsHour - March 26th, 2020
- MatMaCorps DNA Testing Platform Could Help Protect the U.S. Pork Supply From African Swine Fever - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Exploring the DNA Methylome in mCRPC Through NGS of Plasma DNA Specimens - Cancer Therapy Advisor - March 26th, 2020
- Global Viral Vector and Plasmid DNA Manufacturing Market to Surpass US$ 2,205.6 Million by 2027 - CMI - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- No. 486: On mega-moons, linear DNA and innovative immigrant services and yes, lots of coronavirus stuff - Innovate Long Island - March 26th, 2020
- Review: Witch Prophet's DNA Activation shows the power of family in dark times - NOW Magazine - March 26th, 2020
- Burglar who fled Jesmond home in stolen Audi caught out by DNA on airbag - Chronicle Live - March 26th, 2020
- Lohmann: A DNA test, an old photograph and at long last a new branch on the family tree - Richmond.com - March 24th, 2020
- Home DNA tests reveal more than we bargained for - PRI - March 24th, 2020