As nearly half of U.S. states begin to ease restrictions that were put in place to slow the spread of the coronavirus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is quietly projecting a stark rise in the number of new cases of the virus and deaths from it over the next month.
Modeling from the CDC, incorporated into a chart prepared by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and circulated within the administration, was obtained by the New York Times. It projects 200,000 new daily cases of the coronavirus by the end of May and 3,000 daily deaths in the U.S. At present, approximately 25,000 new cases are reported each day, with roughly 1,750 deaths.
Without disputing the accuracy of the modeling used by the CDC, the White House quickly distanced itself from the projections.
This data is not reflective of any of the modeling done by the task force or data that the task force has analyzed, White House deputy press secretary Judd Deere said in a Monday statement. The presidents phased guidelines to open up America again are a scientific-driven approach that the top health and infectious disease experts in the federal government agreed with.
Despite the growing risk of exposure and death from COVID-19, many states are proceeding with a relaxation of restrictions that were meant to slow the spread of the virus, which have brought the nations economy to a virtual halt. Those moves in states like Georgia and Texas do not follow the phased federal guidelines issued by President Trumps coronavirus task force on April 16.
The guidelines were announced at a White House press briefing, where Trump proclaimed that now that we have passed the peak in new cases, were starting our life again, were starting rejuvenation of our economy again, in a safe and structured and very responsible fashion. There were 32,076 new cases in the U.S. on that day, a number that has been exceeded on at least four days since.
While the implementation was left to the discretion of state governors, the guidelines were clear that no state should attempt to ease restrictions until it had observed a downward trajectory of new cases of the virus over a 14-day period. Yet, as of this weekend, no state in the nation could make that claim.
On Fox News Sunday, anchor Chris Wallace pressed Dr. Deborah Birx, one of the leading health experts on the coronavirus task force, on that point.
Not a single state has met the White House gating guidelines of two weeks of steady decline in new cases. Are you concerned about this patchwork reopening, and why leave it up to the governors? Wallace asked Birx. Why not set a firm, if not binding, a firm national policy on when states can reopen?
Well, I think federal guidelines are pretty firm policy of what we think is important from a public health standpoint, Birx responded. We also made it possible for states to open counties independently of the entire state, because, again, some of these outbreaks are very local and have to be studied and understood that way.
Reopening the country without ramping up testing, building an army of contact tracers or having a plan in place to isolate those who test positive for the virus is certain to result in a spike of new cases, numerous health experts have warned.
Yet at least 26 states intend to test that prediction, many of them starting this week.
Georgia became the first state to lift coronavirus restrictions when Gov. Brian Kemp announced on April 20 that he would allow businesses like massage and tattoo parlors, hair salons, gyms and bowling alleys to reopen on April 24. Three days later the state further loosened restrictions, allowing restaurants and theaters to reopen.
Before his announcement, Kemp informed Trump of his decision on a conference call between the president and the nations governors. On that call, Trump was heard praising Kemp for doing a great job.
But after Kemp was sharply criticized for lifting the states restrictions too soon, Trump said he was unhappy with the governor.
I want them to open, and I want him to open as soon as possible, Trump told reporters on April 24. And I want the state to open. But I wasnt happy with Brian Kemp. I will tell you that right now.
Since moving to reopen the state, Georgia has continued to see a high number of new cases, with 1,000 reported on Friday and another 999 on Saturday. Despite the new data, Kemp let his shelter-in-place restriction for residents expire on Monday.
As this public health experiment has taken place, the risk of exposure to the virus for Georgia citizens has risen by 42 percent, according to data compiled by Stanford Universitys COVID-19 Case Mapper.
Similarly worrying figures have been reported in Texas, where Gov. Greg Abbott lifted stay-at-home orders last weekend. In a tweet posted Sunday, the governor sought to emphasize what he saw as a bit of good news about the number of people in the state who have recovered from COVID-19.
Yet Sunday also marked the fourth straight day that the state tallied more than 1,000 new cases of the virus. Far from showing a 14-day decline in new cases, Dallas County reported Sunday its highest daily tally so far, with 234 new positive results.
And while Abbott is correct that on Saturday and Sunday Texas reported a higher number of people who had recovered from the virus than were still infected by it, Texas ranks 49th among states for per capita testing for the coronavirus. As of Monday, the state, which has a population of 29 million, said 407,398 tests had been administered. More testing would certainly reveal a much higher number of active cases, health experts say, and the overall number of cases continues to grow. As of Monday, 32,332 Texans had tested positive, up from 25,297 a week earlier.
Given the Trump administrations own internal projections, states across the nation can expect to see many more cases and deaths in the days ahead.
Click here for the latest coronavirus news and updates. According to experts, people over 60 and those who are immunocompromised continue to be the most at risk. If you have questions, please refer to the CDCs and WHOs resource guides.
See the rest here:
- How to add contacts to your Yahoo Mail account manually in 2 ways - Business Insider - Business Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Donald Trump: Drew Brees will 'regret' apologizing after comments on national anthem protests - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- 'Whitewashed and erased': There's a reason Juneteenth isn't taught in schools, educators say - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- The controversial ice cream changing its 'derogatory' name - Yahoo News Australia - June 20th, 2020
- From '100 percent' to 'a disaster': A timeline on how MLB's season has been pushed to the brink - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- The Future of Stadiums: How will America's sports venues be transformed by the pandemic? - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- 'Into The Wild' bus removed from Alaska wilderness - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fact-checking claims it might have started in August 2019 - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Tucker Carlson warns that Black Lives Matter is 'more popular than the president' - Yahoo Entertainment - June 20th, 2020
- How a filmmaker's zero-budget horror topped the box office in virus-hit America - Yahoo! Voices - June 20th, 2020
- Meet the Su-25: Russia's Sort-of A-10 Warthog - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- University of Virginia changes logo, removing design linked to school's history with slavery - Yahoo Sports - June 20th, 2020
- Travelers accused of breaking quarantine set to leave Hawaii - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Uncle Ben's rice: 'Now is the right time' to change - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Some out-of-work Americans are waiting in line overnight hoping to get their claims processed - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Trump on coronavirus testing: If we stopped testing right now, wed have very few cases, if any - Yahoo News - June 20th, 2020
- Drew Brees addresses NFL players kneeling in 2020: 'I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag' - Yahoo Sports - June 6th, 2020
- Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck offers thoughts on NBA's 22-team return plan - Yahoo Sports - June 6th, 2020
- Trump says the economy will cure the 'very sad problem' of police killing blacks - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Italy hopes EU nations will open borders to Italians from June 15 - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- May's jobs report surprise masked weaknesses that could make the rebound a 'head fake' - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- For the first time, Mexico records more COVID-19 deaths in a day than the U.S. - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- J.C. Penney to Proceed With DIP Financing - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- How this week changed America forever - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- People have been frightened to go back to hospitals and clinics: UCLA Hospital System CEO - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- Enraged New York driver who chased protesters with blades attached to arm is arrested - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- George W. Bush calls on US to examine its 'tragic failures' - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Wall St. pro says the current rally reminds him of March 2009 - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- Oils Recovery Is Being Threatened by the Discord Rattling OPEC+ - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2020
- Eye of the storm: African Development Bank chief Akinwumi Adesina - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Gregg Popovich unleashes fiery statement on Trump: 'What we have is a fool in place of a president' - Yahoo Sports - June 6th, 2020
- Breaking with party, GOP senator says rebuke of Trump 'necessary' - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Fired watchdog tells Congress he informed top officials about probe into Pompeo and wife - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Detained US Navy veteran freed by Iran as part of deal - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- 'Tiger King' update: Sheriff says will of Carole Baskin's late husband Don Lewis was forged - Yahoo Entertainment - June 6th, 2020
- On sad anniversary, few to mourn the D-Day dead in Normandy - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Wearing Face Masks and Social Distancing Actually Work to Contain COVID-19, According to a New Study - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Denver police ordered to stop using tear gas and plastic bullets in protests - Yahoo News - June 6th, 2020
- Postcards from the edge: Snapshots of European football's return - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- FBI's top lawyer, Dana Boente, ousted amid Fox News criticism for role in Flynn investigation - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Damian Lillard doesnt plan to participate in resumed NBA season if Blazers don't have true opportunity to make playoffs - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- Andy Cohen rehomed beloved dog after 'incident' with son: 'A piece of my heart is gone' - Yahoo Entertainment - June 1st, 2020
- Trump's draft executive order targeting social media companies sparks battle inside the White House - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Dave Matthews speaks out during live-stream about George Floyd and police brutality: 'It is shameful' - Yahoo Entertainment - June 1st, 2020
- Zion Williamson files for protective order from demand he admit receiving illegal benefits at Duke - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- One of the coldest places on Earth is experiencing a record-breaking heat wave - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Walmart stores suffer damage from George Floyd protests and looting several hundred forced to close early - Yahoo Finance - June 1st, 2020
- Dragon-riding astronauts join exclusive inner circle at NASA - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- EU urges U.S. to reconsider decision to cut ties with WHO - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Asymptomatic COVID-19 cases may be more common than suspected - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Turner: 'The Match' was most-watched golf event in cable history - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- If Kevin Stefanski can't turn around Baker Mayfield who is 'way more talented' than Kirk Cousins Browns are in trouble - Yahoo Sports - June 1st, 2020
- China-India border: Why tensions are rising between the neighbours - Yahoo News - June 1st, 2020
- Kentucky Basketball: Where the Wildcats stand in Yahoo NBA Mock Draft - A Sea Of Blue - June 1st, 2020
- Oil Trades at Six-Week High on Supply Cuts and Demand Recovery - Yahoo Canada Finance - May 15th, 2020
- FBI serves warrant on senator in investigation of stock sales linked to coronavirus - Yahoo Parenting - May 15th, 2020
- Man and woman 'found walking on road with body parts in suitcases' - Yahoo News Australia - May 15th, 2020
- Moscow says it ascribed over 60% of coronavirus deaths in April to other causes - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Ahmaud Arbery's killing was heinous, but it wasn't a surprise - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- The pandemic may have solved MLB's most polarizing debate: Get ready for the universal DH - Yahoo Sports - May 15th, 2020
- Philippines evacuates hundreds of thousands as typhoon makes landfall - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Scientists want to investigate if mouthwash kills the infection - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 15th, 2020
- Former MLB manager Art Howe in ICU with coronavirus - Yahoo Sports - May 15th, 2020
- Surviving the coronavirus is one thing. Recovering is another - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Why 14.7% unemployment doesnt tell the whole story: Yahoo U - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- TSMC to Build Chip Plant in Arizona With Government Support - Yahoo Finance Australia - May 14th, 2020
- Coronavirus: What American workers should know about their rights as the economy reopens - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Companies are dropping big hints about the 'new normal' once coronavirus lockdowns end - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- Wuhan reopened last month. Now, new coronavirus infections spark mass testing and renewed fears - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Why this inactive slugger might be MLB's highest-paid player in 2020 - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Goodbye offices? Working from home might be here to stay - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Ahmaud Arbery: What do we know about the case? - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Rand Paul: Pandemic Response Marred by Wrong Prediction after Wrong Prediction - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Report: Joe Tessitore, Booger McFarland will not return to ESPN's MNF booth - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- UFC 249 delivers a welcome distraction from pandemic-afflicted world - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- 'More than sufficient probable cause' in US killing of black jogger - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Jerry Stiller's death has a baseball star from the 1990s unexpectedly trending - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Sources: NBA commissioner Adam Silver says 'there will be a series of bad options' regarding continuation of season - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Supreme Court appears split on whether Congress and prosecutors can see Trump's tax returns - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2020
- Tom Brady slams report claiming his relationship with Patriots OC Josh McDaniels had deteriorated - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020