We are all beginning to see the light at the end of the pandemic tunnel, but it is important to realize that this welcoming glow will not magically erase the emotional toll of COVID-19. This pandemic blew in like a hurricane, leaving us all shaken and bruised. Now as the storm loses steam, were relieved to see it subside, but were left in its devastating aftermath, grappling with how to deal with both the short and long-term effects of its trauma. Not only has there been a loss of life, there have been many other losses as well. Symptoms of depression often rise after a crisis, and I, like many clinicians, believe a second wave a mental health pandemic is here.
The disease of depression is known to impact more than 17.3 million American adults, and research indicates the number of adults experiencing symptoms of depression in the U.S. has tripled because of COVID-19. In fact, it is estimated that over 1 in 4 U.S. adults now report such symptoms.Treating depression can be tough, so it is critical that people have knowledge of all their treatment options available to them.It can be life changing.
While COVID-19 has exacerbated symptoms for patients who were already struggling with depression, it has also meant new diagnoses, particularly in those who have experienced intense social isolation and loss, even if they dont have a medical history of the disease. As depression rates continue to rise across the board, 2020 Census Bureau data reveals cases are rising most in younger adults, those who are more likely to be single and living alone. This is something Ive witnessed in my own practice.
Studies have also found that 24% of those who had actual COVID infection developed a psychiatric disorder in the 6 months following their infection, and this was the first psychiatric diagnosis for 36% of those individuals. These rates are higher than what would be expected in people with similar illness such as the flu, and there is speculation that the infection itself may have its own neuropsychiatric effects.
We sometimes classify depression as either exogenous or endogenous, but both are equally treatable. Exogenous depression is triggered by external stressors, like COVID-19, whereas endogenous depression seems to come out of the blue and is considered primarily biological. Sometimes exogenous depression can be overlooked due to the seemingly situational origin of symptoms.We have certainly seen a rise in patients suffering from exogenous depression brought about by pandemic-inflicted circumstances like interpersonal loss, opportunity loss, and economic hardship.But dismissing these symptoms as situational and not worthy of treatment creates a problem for patients in need.
Stress can lead to brain changes that underlie depression, and such changes will remain long after vaccines roll out. Since cases are expected to rise, it is important that we not only listen, but actively screen for depression so diagnosis and treatment are not delayed. To facilitate this process, we should lean into available screening tools at our fingertips, like the Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9), a common tool used to screen, diagnose, monitor, and measure the severity of depression. A patient can easily complete the PHQ-9 prior to their appointment or even in the waiting room, and it can be quickly scored by clinicians.
Once we accept that cases of exogenous depression are likely to remain even after protocols lift, the conversation can shift to the importance of discussing all treatment options with patients.
The reality is that drug therapy simply does not work for all patients and it is important that we shift our thinking to consider TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) sooner in the patient journey. It is a safe and effective treatment option for adult patients struggling with either exogenous or endogenous depression and has minimal systemic side effects.
Ive supported thousands of patients through depression many of whom were among the estimated 6.2 million who do not benefit from antidepressant medications- with TMS therapy, an FDA-cleared, insurance covered, non-invasive treatment that uses MRI-strength magnetic pulses to stimulate specific areas of the brain associated with mood.
After 12 years of treating depressed patients with TMS therapy, my practice is one of the larger providers in the country. We have administered more than 100,000 treatments across 12 locations, and as we navigate this mental health pandemic, Id urge you to keep these best practices top of mind.
With TMS, we are seeing better response and remission rates than patients experience on their second, third or fourth antidepressant. In fact, research indicates the likelihood of remission drops in depressed patients who are unresponsive to multiple antidepressant medications. This makes TMS an especially appealing option for those struggling with chronic and persistent depression, as well as first episodes.
In conclusion, current depression rates within the U.S. are increasing to staggering levels. As the hurricane of COVID passes, we are left dealing with its devastating impact on mental health in America. To fight this new pandemic, physicians must increase screening efforts and raise patient awareness of safe and effective treatments beyond drug therapy. Physicians would be wise to mitigate the damage by teaching patients about non-drug treatment options like TMS early on. The sooner the better for everyone.
Dr. Todd Hutton is the Medical Director at Southern California TMS Center, a NeuroStar Advanced Therapy provider. Dr. Hutton is a board certified Psychiatrist and a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association. He is an Adjunct Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the USC Keck School of Medicine where he teaches residents in Psychiatry. Dr. Hutton completed his advanced TMS Therapy Fellowship at Duke University Medical Center. He was also elected theClinical TMS Society Presidentfor the 2019-2020 term.
- Can Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Hurt You ... - June 23rd, 2021
- TMS discusses thermal management in electric powertrains - Automotive Testing Technology International - June 23rd, 2021
- API vs. RPA whats the difference? - FreightWaves - June 23rd, 2021
- AI and edge computing: the future of traffic management - Business Reporter - June 23rd, 2021
- Massive Crowds Flock to Universal as Capacity Restrictions Disappear - Inside the Magic - June 23rd, 2021
- Global Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Research Report Covers, Future Trends, Past, Present Data and Deep Analysis 2021-2026 The Manomet... - June 23rd, 2021
- Global Transportation Managem ent Systems (TMS) Market Analysis, Market Insights, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2021-2025 The Manomet... - June 23rd, 2021
- Tla'amin Nation outlines conflict of interest - Powell River Peak - June 23rd, 2021
- Effects of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation | NDT - Dove Medical Press - May 27th, 2021
- BrainsWay Announces First of its Kind Positive Coverage Policy by Centene for the Treatment of OCD - GlobeNewswire - May 27th, 2021
- TMS student overcomes obstacle to excel in track and cross country. - WCBI - May 27th, 2021
- Manhattan Associates Unveils the Industry's Fastest and Smartest Multi-modal Transportation Optimization Engine - StreetInsider.com - May 27th, 2021
- Lupin The 3rd Part Six Unveils New Trailer - ComicBook.com - May 27th, 2021
- Registration of the reduced quantity of shares in Nexstim Plc (the last phase) - GlobeNewswire - May 27th, 2021
- Residents of Duncan have a voice in planning the future - My Cowichan Valley Now - May 18th, 2021
- Talent Management Software (TMS) Market | Covid-19 Impact Analysis | 2021 | Current Trends, Opportunity, Growth Potential, Industry Size, and Forecast... - May 18th, 2021
- Global Transportation Managem ent Systems (TMS) Market Size 2021, Share, Emerging-Trends, Growth, Services, Growth-Analysis, Top Manufacturers,... - May 18th, 2021
- Biogen Announces Exercise of Option to Acquire the Investigational Drug TMS-007 for Acute Ischemic Stroke - GlobeNewswire - May 16th, 2021
- Results: EDAP TMS S.A. Exceeded Expectations And The Consensus Has Updated Its Estimates - Yahoo Finance - May 16th, 2021
- South Jersey MS Center Now Offering TMS Therapy For Those With Chronic Treatment-Resistant Illnesses - Yahoo Finance - May 16th, 2021
- Analysts Offer Insights on Healthcare Companies: EDAP TMS (EDAP), Veru (VERU) and Kamada (KMDA) - Smarter Analyst - May 16th, 2021
- The Dallas Cowboys Will Start 0-1 - And Win The NFC East - Sports Illustrated - May 16th, 2021
- 2021 Latest Insights On Toll Management System(TMS) Industry. Understand Market Future And Impact Of Covid-19 On The Industry Clark County Blog -... - May 16th, 2021
- Global High-intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) therapy Market 2021 Top 10 Key players |EDAP TMS, THERACLION, CARDIAWAVE, BrainSonix Corporation, FUS... - May 16th, 2021
- Global Radioactive Iodine Ablation Therapy Market Research Report, Growth Trends and Competitive Analysis 2021-2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper -... - May 16th, 2021
- INTERVIEW: 'Army of the Dead's Matthias Schweighfer Talks Safecracking, Zack Snyder, and Prequels - The Mary Sue - May 16th, 2021
- Huge Demand of Digital Piano Market by 2027 | TMS, The ONE Music Group, Kurzweil, Williams Test & Measurement - Test & Measurement - May 16th, 2021
- Quantity of shares in Nexstim Plc after completion of the first phase in reducing the quantity of shares - StreetInsider.com - May 16th, 2021
- Global High-intensity Focused Ultrasound Therapy Market 2021 Challenges by enhanceing manufactures:EDAP TMS, SonaCare Medical, Theraclion, ILJIN... - May 16th, 2021
- Talent Management Software (TMS) Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted by the... - May 16th, 2021
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce First Quarter 2021 Financial Results on May 11, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Change of Dates for Its First Quarter 2021 Financial Results - Business Wire - May 9th, 2021
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market by Type (H-coil, C-core Coil, Circular Crown Coil), By Application (Hospital, Clinic,... - May 9th, 2021
- Talent Management Systems (TMS) Market COVID -19 Impact | Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2027 by Growing Players: Oracle, SAP, IBM,... - May 9th, 2021
- Vin Diesels break-dance video brings the internet as Ken guesses him to be Yeti on TMS - Republic TV - May 9th, 2021
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Proposed Public Offering of Common Shares - Business Wire - May 4th, 2021
- Ruan Partners with Mastery Logistics to Enhance TMS Platform and Redefine Supply Chain Software - DC Velocity - May 4th, 2021
- AscendTMS And uShip Partner to Support SMB Shippers with Seamless Neutral FTL / LTL Platform - DC Velocity - May 4th, 2021
- Qualifying with race downforce at Texas will aid TMS novices - Motorsport.com - May 4th, 2021
- MagVenture receives CE approvals for noninvasive brain treatment of addiction, OCD, and depression with anxiety symptoms - PRNewswire - May 4th, 2021
- Boston Seaport Announces Plans for The Holiday Market at Snowport and Calls All Makers, Artists and Chefs to Apply - Boston Real Estate Times - May 4th, 2021
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market To Surpass Covid-19 Cringe From 2021 Onward The Courier - The Courier - May 4th, 2021
- 123Loadboard Partners With AscendTMS for In-Depth Load Searching Integration - DC Velocity - April 23rd, 2021
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 NeighborWebSJ -... - April 23rd, 2021
- Texas Motor Speedway Vaccination Clinic Closes Friday Due to Severe Weather - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - April 23rd, 2021
- TMS Neuronavigation Systems Market Production, Revenue and Price Forecast by Type 2021 to 2027 Neurosoft (Russia), neuroCare Group (Germany), Inomed... - April 23rd, 2021
- Tyto Athene, LLC Awarded $11.6M for United States Air Force Global Sustainment Task Orders for TMS, CTS and Enhanced 9-1-1 - Business Wire - April 15th, 2021
- Molecular Signatures of the Aging Process in Mice Revealed - Technology Networks - April 15th, 2021
- How to treat anxiety without medication: 8 natural remedies - Medical News Today - April 15th, 2021
- Elite Transit Solutions Announces Aggressive Growth: Opens New Chicago and Charlotte Locations and Begins Hiring 200+ Employees - PR Web - April 15th, 2021
- Toll Management System(TMS) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis-... - April 15th, 2021
- Analysts Offer Insights on Healthcare Companies: and Greenbrook Tms (GBNH) - Smarter Analyst - April 11th, 2021
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2021 by Key Players, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 (Based on COVID-19 Impact... - April 11th, 2021
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- MAG & More,... - April 11th, 2021
- Maven Machines Integrates with McLeod Software to Improve Fleet and Driver Workflow - DC Velocity - April 11th, 2021
- Another Win for Health Insurers, a Big Loss for this Patient - CounterPunch.org - CounterPunch - April 11th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players... - April 11th, 2021
- Global Transportation and Logistics Software Market Status Analysis and Forecast 2021-2027 with key player- TMW, 3G tms, AFS Transportation... - April 11th, 2021
- Neuro Wellness TMS Centers of America in Coral Springs: Many Depression Sufferers Have Tried Everything. It's Time To Try Nexstim TMS Therapy. -... - April 6th, 2021
- TMS Treatment for Autism: What is it and Does it Work? - Autism Parenting Magazine - April 6th, 2021
- Repetitive TMS demonstrates ability to reduce suicidal thoughts and behaviours - NeuroNews International - April 6th, 2021
- Can Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Stock Rise to the Top of Healthcare Sector Monday? - InvestorsObserver - April 6th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market is Expected to Grow with an Impressive CAGR till 2027 | Players Yiruide Neurosoft Neuronetics KSU |... - April 6th, 2021
- EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP) Just Reported Full-Year Earnings And Analysts Are Lifting Their Estimates - Simply Wall St - April 6th, 2021
- Drivers concerned by prospect of no-go zone at Texas - RACER - April 6th, 2021
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2021- Top Fastest Growing Segments and Emerging Opportunities The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv... - April 6th, 2021
- Edap Tms SA (EDAP) Is Higher By 13.81% Before the Open Wednesday - InvestorsObserver - April 6th, 2021
- What Kind Of Investors Own Most Of Greenbrook TMS Inc. (TSE:GTMS)? - Simply Wall St - April 6th, 2021
- Research on Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020: By Growing Rate, Type, Applications, Geographical Regions, and Forecast to 2025 -... - April 6th, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Worth $126.7 Million by 2026 and Forecasted to Grow at CAGR 0.093% from 2020 to 2030 Comprehensive... - April 6th, 2021
- Global oll Management System(TMS) Market Outlook, Industry Analysis and Prospect 2020 - The Bisouv Network - April 6th, 2021
- Reflecting film Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026 |NIPPA, TOYOBO, TMS, Mitsubishi, Esopp Group, etc KSU |... - April 6th, 2021
- Talent Management Systems (TMS) Market 2021: Products/Services, Organizations, Industry Viewpoint Analysis & Breakthroughs Forecast by 2026 The... - April 6th, 2021
- Transportation Management System (TMS) Solution Market Size, Share, Trend, Growth Analysis, COVID-19 Impact, Forecast 2021-2027 | Oracle, SAP,... - April 6th, 2021
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Trend, Technology Innovations and Growth Prediction 2020-2026 - AlgosOnline - April 6th, 2021
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market to Witness Strong Growth Over 2021-2027 | Key Manufacturers Overview- Oracle, Finastra, Salmon Software... - April 6th, 2021
- Active Recovery TMS opens sixth clinic in the Vancouver area | ClarkCountyToday.com - clarkcountytoday.com - March 31st, 2021
- EDAP TMS S.A. (EDAP) Stock Jumps 18.8%: Will It Continue to Soar? - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Ineffective for People with Bipolar Disorder - James Moore - March 31st, 2021
- New Efficacy Data on Theta Burst TMS for Bipolar Depression - Medscape - March 31st, 2021