The national stature of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is rising swiftly among the countrys Republicans, and the checks from deep-pocketed donors are following.
His political committee, Friends of Ron DeSantis, brought in $2.7 million in February, its largest monthly haul by far since the Republican was sworn in as governor two years ago. Its the latest signal that DeSantis is putting the pandemic in the rear-view mirror and shifting focus to his political future.
The first-term governor paused contributions to his committee after the coronavirus first arrived in Florida. As he publicly and proudly reopened the state for business in the back half of 2020, he also started accepting donations to his political committee again.
As the checks came in, DeSantis was boosting his visibility in Florida and nationwide. Part of that was his job. He has crisscrossed the state to open new vaccination sites as he continues to manage the public health crisis. Part of it was extracurricular. Hes been a frequent guest on nightly Fox News programs favored by reliable Republican voters.
Gov. Ron DeSantis continues to get high marks for keeping Florida safe and open for business, said Helen Aguirre-Ferre, the executive director of the Republican Party of Florida. Florida has been getting a lot of attention because of the Governors conservative and principled policies which are working this in turn is driving support for Gov. DeSantis efforts in 2022.
DeSantis is up for re-election next year, though he hasnt officially filed to run yet. That limits him from holding fundraisers and campaign events. But his committee can raise money and he can traverse the state on business.
For example, Spring Bay Capital, a private equity firm founded by top DeSantis donor Frederick Sontag of Ponte Vedra Beach, gave half a million dollars to DeSantis committee on Feb. 8. The same day, DeSanits held a media event in Little Havana, a common stop on the South Florida campaign circuit, where he had a surprise announcement: vaccines were coming solely for the Cuban veterans of the Bay of Pigs invasion.
Several times a week, DeSantis opens up new vaccine locations, often in neighborhoods where Republicans outnumber Democrats or where important voting blocs reside. Cameras are invited to capture footage of seniors getting shots in their arms or DeSantis latest confrontation with a reporter questioning his ad hoc coronavirus strategy.
DeSantis has also faced criticism for opening vaccine sites at locations with ties to political donors. On Wednesday, the Miami Herald reported DeSantis received $250,000 in February from former Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner, a resident of Key Largo, where an affluent and exclusive club received some of the states earliest vaccines.
Also sending six-figure sums in February were hedge fund manager Paul Tudor Jones of Palm Beach ($150,000), the Big Easy Casino in Hallandale Beach ($100,000), and the paving and highway construction company Vecellio Group based in West Palm Beach ($100,000).
In 2018, DeSantis leaned heavily on a donor network closely tied to former President Donald Trump and his committees latest finance report indicates that he may again.
Troy Link, the CEO of a beef jerky empire who held a Florida fundraiser for Trump during the height of the states coronavirus outbreak, gave DeSantiss committee $50,000. The committee also received $100,000 from Anthony Lomangino, a garbage hauling tycoon and Mar-a-Lago member who helped pay the legal fees of Trump associates ensnared in former special prosecutor Robert Muellers investigation into Russian meddling in the election.
Meanwhile, New York art dealer Joseph Nahmad contributed $33,300. Nahmads brother, Helly Nahmad, was among the controversial last-minute pardons issued by Trump in one of his final acts as president. Hillel Nahmad pleaded guilty in 2014 to running a sports gambling ring that investigators said had ties to Russian-American organized crime.
Few Republicans have navigated the post-Trump era with the same ease as DeSantis. He opened last months Conservative Political Action Committee in Orlando by turning the page on the the failed Republican establishment of yesteryear, and calling out Democratic governors for their shutdown policies. The home-court crowd rewarded DeSantis, naming him their top presidential pick in 2024 as long as Trump doesnt run.
We are in an oasis of freedom in a nation thats suffering from the yoke of oppressive lockdowns,' DeSantis said during his speech. Florida got it right, and the lockdown states got it wrong.
DeSantis handling of the coronavirus, often criticized by Democrats, left-leaning talk show hosts and public health experts, and his alliance with Trump has only fueled more talk about his future as a presidential contender for Republicans.
It has also all-but eliminated the threat of a primary challenge in his bid for a second term, though a handful of Democrats are already positioning themselves for a run. Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried, the states only statewide elected Democrat, has sharpened her criticism of DeSantis of late, as has U.S. Rep. Charlie Crist, a former governor who is seriously considering another campaign for the office.
DeSantis will have a significant fundraising head start over any Democrat that decides to run. His political committee has raised $5 million just since October, when he lifted the moratorium on contributions.
Floridas business community has largely favored DeSantis approach to the coronavirus and responded in February with more financial support for the governors political committee. The Florida Restaurant & Lodging Association PAC donated $15,000 to Friends of Ron DeSantis and he received another $150,000 from political committees closely aligned with the Florida Chamber of Commerce and other large business entities.
- Fauci: Paul doesn't know what he's talking about | TheHill - The Hill - July 27th, 2021
- Should the US return to the gold standard? No - The Daily World - July 27th, 2021
- Should the US Return to the Gold Standard? InsideSources - InsideSources - July 27th, 2021
- TEXAS Thumbs: Texas Dems in disarray and Houston gets snubbed HOUSTON CHRONICLE - Houston Chronicle - July 27th, 2021
- VAERS reports may initiate investigations into potential associations between a vaccine and adverse events, but on their own cannot prove causality -... - July 27th, 2021
- Selected Quotes And Seven Lessons From The Hard Money Mini-Documentary - bitcoinist.com - July 27th, 2021
- POLITICO Playbook: Is McCarthy prepared for Trump's wrath about the Jan. 6 committee? - POLITICO - Politico - July 27th, 2021
- 'Wet Hot American Summer' cast 20 years later: Where are they now? - Wonderwall - July 27th, 2021
- Sen. Rand Paul wades into Texas governor's race against Gov. Abbott - Houston Chronicle - July 23rd, 2021
- Ron Paul: 'Ed-Exit' To Protect Your Kids From Critical Race Theory OpEd - Eurasia Review - July 23rd, 2021
- Thirty Years After Slacker, the Film Is an Austin Time CapsuleAnd a Hopeful Tribute to Its Spirit - Texas Monthly - July 23rd, 2021
- Cornyn Joins Letter Urging Biden Administration to Abandon the Tax-Hike Proposal on Farmers and Ranchers - Senator John Cornyn - July 23rd, 2021
- Short Redhead Reel Reviews for the week of July 23 - ECM Publishers - July 23rd, 2021
- Letters to the Editor: July 22, 2021 - TCPalm - July 23rd, 2021
- It will be remembered: Trump allies cross him in special election - POLITICO - July 18th, 2021
- Sens. Rick Scott, Ron Johnson and Colleagues on Democrats' Partisan Spending Bill: America Needs to Invest in Infrastructure Without Out-of-Control... - July 18th, 2021
- Lifting the U.S. Embargo Against Cuba Will Create Wealth and Prosperity for Both Countries - Energy & Capital - July 18th, 2021
- Wild and the Expansion Draft: What you need to know - BlueJackets.com - July 18th, 2021
- All-time City Golf champions - The Herald-Times - July 18th, 2021
- Want to Buy a Luxury Watch? Read These 7 Pro Tips First - The Wall Street Journal - July 18th, 2021
- What issues will guide the 2022 election? Check ads from GOP senators - Deseret News - July 18th, 2021
- Sunday's letters: Blame unvaccinated for pandemic, women stand against abortion ban, more - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - July 18th, 2021
- Daye looks back on over 40 years as local banker - Wilkes Journal Patriot - July 14th, 2021
- Golfing with Wynn: Could there be a dynasty forming in the Tuesday Men's League? - St. Albans Messenger - July 14th, 2021
- Sports for the Record: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 | Sports News | tulsaworld.com - Tulsa World - July 14th, 2021
- The Point, July 14, 2021: 'The Bay Is Really Hurting': Red Tide Kills Thousands Of Fish In Tampa Bay - WUFT - July 14th, 2021
- COVID Community Test Sites In Mpls., St. Paul, Bloomington To Close By End Of The Week - CBS Minnesota - June 28th, 2021
- Around the County - Runnels County Register - June 28th, 2021
- Pride Parties, Openings, And More FOMO-inducing Events From The Weekend! - Daily Front Row - June 28th, 2021
- Trump isnt the dictator: Wisconsin GOP inches away from Trump - POLITICO - June 28th, 2021
- Lets run Selective Service up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes - The Boston Globe - June 28th, 2021
- The Life And Career Of Ron Johnson (Complete Story) - Browns Nation - June 28th, 2021
- Rease and Keshequa made winning a habit - pickinsplinters.com - June 28th, 2021
- Ron Paul: Let Bitcoin Compete With the Dollar - Yahoo Finance - June 4th, 2021
- Former congressman Ron Paul: Bitcoin is money and should be taxed the same - Cointelegraph - June 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin 2021 conference: Speaker line-up and what to expect... - The US Sun - June 4th, 2021
- Ron Johnson is still weighing whether to run for a third senate term next year, but says he's 'panicked' for the nation - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - June 4th, 2021
- Sen. Rick Scott Doubles Down on Call for Congressional Investigation into the Origins of COVID-19 | SENATOR RICK SCOTT - Senator Rick Scott - June 4th, 2021
- Ron Onesti: "Have I told you " - Chicago Daily Herald - June 4th, 2021
- University of Michigan to retain name on Weiser Hall, president says - MLive.com - June 4th, 2021
- Bird Droppings: Arizona Cardinals start OTAs, Kyler Murray leading the way, Cardinals sign new punter, PFFs - Revenge of the Birds - June 4th, 2021
- Will The Bitcoin Miami Conference Be A Catalyst For Recovery? - bitcoinist.com - June 4th, 2021
- Entertainment Leaders Call on Celebrities and Influencers to Stop Spreading Misinformation about Israeli-Palestinian Conflict - PRNewswire - May 18th, 2021
- Last Call for 5.17.21 A prime-time read of what's going down in Florida politics - Florida Politics - May 18th, 2021
- Election filing week kicks off with a few surprises - The Columbian - May 18th, 2021
- Paul Bettany Answers Every Question We Have About A Knights Tale - Vulture - May 16th, 2021
- Utica man producing film about the history of radio - The Oakland Press - May 16th, 2021
- Gov. DeSantis appoints three to the Southwest Florida Water Management District Governing Board - Florida Politics - May 16th, 2021
- Twin Cities' biggest film fest includes 'Claw,' hits from around the world - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 16th, 2021
- Max McLaughlin wins first super feature as Tyler Thompson runs out of fuel in Oswego - syracuse.com - May 16th, 2021
- Remember to say thank you before it is too late - The Daily Times - May 16th, 2021
- St. David and Benson win Baseball Championships - All Sports Tucson - May 16th, 2021
- Rand Paul clashes with Fauci over coronavirus origins | TheHill - The Hill - May 14th, 2021
- Twin Cities playwright and critic William Randall Beard dies at 64 - Minneapolis Star Tribune - May 11th, 2021
- Joy calls Tucker Carlson and Ron Johnson are the absolute worst for spreading COVID disinformation - Yahoo News - May 11th, 2021
- The 25 Worst Animated Movies, According to Critics - Newsweek - May 9th, 2021
- St. Paul man who helped burn down Third Precinct sentenced to prison and $12 million restitution - MinnPost - May 9th, 2021
- Willmar Stingers: Gardy set to appear in Willmar - West Central Tribune - May 9th, 2021
- Ron Bumblefoot Thal: Every time I do an acoustic version of something, I realize how beautiful the song is at its core - Guitar World - May 9th, 2021
- God rejoices in the truth | Religion | gettysburgtimes.com - Gettysburg Times - April 25th, 2021
- Do donors have too much influence over universities? - University World News - April 25th, 2021
- Five States Where Republicans Are Trying to Block Marijuana Legalization - CelebStoner - April 25th, 2021
- Here's Brunch, a pop-up, weekend email during the 2021 Legislative Session 4.25.21 - Florida Politics - April 25th, 2021
- Fredrick Brennan Is the Founder of 8chan. Now He Wants to Take It Offline. - Jacobin magazine - April 21st, 2021
- Party Politics: The Politics of Scandal - Houston Public Media - April 19th, 2021
- Ron Price's coaching longevity will be tough to eclipse - Los Angeles Times - April 19th, 2021
- Rekha Basu: I've had a vaccine 'passport' since childhood. What's all the fuss about? - desmoinesregister.com - April 19th, 2021
- How to improve policing in Florida and beyond | Letters - Tampa Bay Times - April 19th, 2021
- Winter's return, threat of new health restrictions tough blows for businesses - Winnipeg Free Press - April 19th, 2021
- Stephen Colbert Goes Off On Ron Paul Wearing 'Daisy Dukes' Shorts In Interview - HuffPost - April 15th, 2021
- Can You Get a 'Vaccine Passport'? And Other Questions, Answered - The New York Times - April 15th, 2021
- The Lessons of the Afghan War - National Review - April 15th, 2021
- Trump's early endorsements reveal GOP rift | TheHill - The Hill - April 15th, 2021
- This Florida Man may lead the GOP out of the wilderness | Column - Tampa Bay Times - April 15th, 2021
- Recent UW grad, an Afghan Kurdish poet, wins $90,000 scholarship for immigrants with exceptional potential - University of Wisconsin-Madison - April 15th, 2021
- Ron Paul: Why Is Biden Administration Pushing Ukraine To Attack Russia? OpEd - Eurasia Review - April 6th, 2021
- Ron Paul Warns of Government Crackdown on Bitcoin 'The Government Is the Threat' Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 6th, 2021
- "The government is the threat" says Ron Paul on Bitcoin - Techstory - April 6th, 2021
- Ron Paul: The government is the threat against Bitcoin Explica .co - Explica - April 6th, 2021
- Kane Honored With Senate Joint Resolution For His WWE Hall Of Fame Induction - Wrestling Inc. - April 6th, 2021