The Federal Government Thursday said it has domesticated the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Trans-Human Movement Law and would commence its implementation.
President Muhammadu Buhari stated this at the 2017 National Security Summit organised by the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) in Abuja.
Buhari, who was represented by the Minister for Interior, Gen. Abdulraman Dambazau (rtd), said that the domestication became necessary in order to contain menaces of herders, militants and terrorists.
He said: ECOWAS protocol on free movement of goods and person has always been there from the word go but there is ECOWAS decision on trans-humans. That is movement from one country to another as herders.
The decision is that every country where these trans-humans come, they should prepare reception areas for them and issue them International trans-humans certificates for identification. They would also be monitored so that their movements are known.
So, this is an ECOWAS decision that was taken in 1998 but has not been implemented. ECOWAS is trying now to see how they can implement it so as to reduce the conflict going on between herders and farmers.
Buhari also attributed increase in crime rate to proliferation of small arms, noting that there were over 10 million illegal small arms in the country a decade ago.
He said: I did a research ten years ago and I discovered that over 10 million small arms and weapons were in the country and that was before Boko Haram and Niger Delta crisis.
I do not know the quantity as of today but certainly, they must have increased bearing in mind the flow of weapons from North Africa because of the Libyan and Malian crises.
Earlier in his address, Buhari said that armed Agro Rangers would be stationed in farms as part of measures to protect agricultural investment, farmers and herders.
He explained that the move would boost food security, economy and reduce incessant clashes.
He said government would pursue security governance initiatives that are broad based, adding that it had entered into bilateral and multilateral agreements with other stakeholders to improve nations security.
He assured of governments support in carrying out institutional reforms and restructuring to revamp police in line with global best practices.
He said government has launched national counter terrorism strategy, adding that security management was the responsibility of everyone including the international community.
Urging states to domesticate the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015, Buhari said it would assist in harmonsing, punishing any criminal.
Acknowledging the challenges faced by the police, Buhari noted that there was improved budgetary allocation for the force, urging organised private sector to invest more in security sector as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
In an aside interview with The Nation, the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Ibrahim Idris, said the way out of farmers-herders conflict was for Nigerians to be tolerant with each other.
He said: The main way to tackle the issue of herdsmen and farmers is for us to be our brothers keeper. We grew up in this country and we saw how people migrated to other places and settled peacefully. I think it is just the element of give and take that is lackingand like somebody observed, Nigerians are becoming intolerant of each other. Until we stop the intolerance and believe that we have to forego something in order to get something, the communal clashes and ethnic disagreements would continue.
The reason for the summit is for all stakeholders to assemble and proffer solutions to improving security across the country.
Highpoint of the event was the anti-kidnapping, K-9 and anti-explosives simulations exhibited by police operatives.
- Seattle faith groups reckon with AI and what it means to be truly human - Seattle Times - November 12th, 2019
- Mexico in 2030: Discover the Top 12 Trends to Drive Decision-Making - PRNewswire - November 12th, 2019
- Terminator: Dark Fate Arnie's back, but he should have stayed away - The Irish Times - October 24th, 2019
- Do transhumanists need their own bill of rights? - Quartz - October 23rd, 2019
- The finale issue of House of X/Powers of X: We dig into every detail - Polygon - October 13th, 2019
- Are LED lights and other techno-implants slowly turning us into the Borg? - SYFY WIRE - October 13th, 2019
- Could a robot be prime minister? Machines will soon be smart enough to run the world, says futurist - CBC.ca - October 13th, 2019
- Scissor Sisters' Ana Matronic, Phill Jupitus and Johnny Ball to star in Festival of the Future in Dundee - The Courier - October 13th, 2019
- Sports Man of the Future - The Good Men Project - October 13th, 2019
- Ben Affleck Promises a Heroic Batman in 'Justice League' - TVOvermind - August 16th, 2017
- Transhumanism could lead to immortality for the elite - Gears Of Biz - August 6th, 2017
- The risk of a transhumanist future - BioEdge - August 6th, 2017
- William Gibson: what we talk about, when we talk about dystopia - Boing Boing - August 4th, 2017
- Transhumanism: Can technology help mankind transcend its natural limitations? - Scroll.in - August 3rd, 2017
- AI and Transhumanism: Could Quest for Super-intelligence and Eternal Life Lead to a Dystopian Nightmare? - Newsweek - August 1st, 2017
- Transhumanists May Lead Us Into a Dystopian Future - Inverse - August 1st, 2017
- Opinion: Super-intelligence and eternal lifetranshumanism's faithful follow it blindly into a future for the elite - Phys.Org - July 31st, 2017
- Liam Payne Joins Ranks of Trans-Supportive Celebrities - PopCrush - PopCrush - July 28th, 2017
- What the Gay Lobby Doesn't Want You to Know - Church Militant - Church Militant - July 26th, 2017
- SIMPLE CREATURE Review - Film Pulse - July 26th, 2017
- Southern Kaduna crises: Porous boarders responsible for free e - Daily Trust - July 15th, 2017
- Get bloody with Butcher's free Steam demo | PCGamesN - PCGamesN - July 15th, 2017
- The Soul of the Matter Now in Paperback; Read Bruce Buff's Thriller on Intelligent Design! - Discovery Institute - July 13th, 2017
- Government moves to save farmers - The Nation Newspaper - July 5th, 2017
- Synergy Between Torah and Science: How Far is TOO Far? - Breaking Israel News - July 5th, 2017
- Transhumanism just another 'religion' in which man seeks to become God - WND.com - July 2nd, 2017
- How to stay pro-tech when social media can eat young lives - New Scientist - July 1st, 2017
- An Interview with Rick Rosner on Women and the Future (Part 1) - The Good Men Project (blog) - June 29th, 2017
- Butcher review - ThisisXbox (press release) (blog) - June 26th, 2017
- Video and Photos: Trans Marchers Celebrate the Passing of Trans Human Rights Bill - Torontoist - June 24th, 2017
- Meet The Biohacking Pioneers Who Are Redesigning Their Own Bodies - Co.Design (blog) - June 23rd, 2017
- Our Outdated Debates - First Things - June 23rd, 2017
- New iOS Games and Apps of the Week: PS4 PlayLink and more - The iPad Guide - June 16th, 2017
- Colin McEnroe: It's 2027, Hartford's On The Cutting Edge - Hartford Courant - June 1st, 2017
- We'll support gov't end nomadic herdsmen conflict Group - Citifmonline - May 28th, 2017
- [ May 25, 2017 ] Transhumanism: Engineering Utopia Culture - Conatus News - May 26th, 2017
- Video Review | Butcher - Big Boss Battle - Big Boss Battle (blog) - May 17th, 2017
- The Surge launch trailer shows what happens when good robots go bad - PCGamesN - May 13th, 2017
- New Rapid 2D Blood-Soaked Shooter Butcher Receives Launch ... - Gameranx (blog) - May 11th, 2017
- Butcher Review If Murder Is Your Thing, Butcher Is Your Thing - COGconnected (press release) - May 9th, 2017
- Book review: Author delves into transhumanist movement in 'To Be a Machine' - SCNow - May 7th, 2017
- 'Resident Evil: Code Veronica X', 'Butcher' Hit PS4 This Week! - Bloody Disgusting - May 7th, 2017
- Transhumanism and cheap laughs: podcasts of the week - The Guardian - May 6th, 2017
- From a 16th-Century Book to a Robot-Assisted Performance, Artists Explore the Legend of the Golem - Hyperallergic - May 6th, 2017
- The Techno-Libertarians Praying for Dystopia - Yahoo Tech - May 2nd, 2017
- BUTCHER, a 2D tribute to the Doom series from the makers of Soldat, hits PS4 and Xbox One in May 2017! - Develop - April 28th, 2017
- Belladonna Productions, ZDF Enterprises Team For 'Genesis' | Variety - Variety - April 23rd, 2017
- Immortal Cyborgs: Is This Humanity's Future? - theTrumpet.com - April 21st, 2017
- God in the machine: my strange journey into transhumanism - The Guardian - April 19th, 2017
- Book review: Author delves into transhumanist movement in 'To Be a Machine' - Fredericksburg.com - April 17th, 2017
- Crunchyroll - New "ID-0" Trailer Introduces the Transhuman I ... - Crunchyroll News - April 13th, 2017
- The Disrupted Generation - h+ Magazine - April 12th, 2017
- Home - Believer - April 7th, 2017
- Rubio Announces 5-EP Series With Two Bone-Chilling New Tracks - Remezcla (blog) - April 7th, 2017
- Afrofuturism Tries to Find its Footing in Virtual Reality - The Chicago Maroon - April 7th, 2017
- Anarki is a Transhuman Punk in the latest Quake Champions trailer - Warp Zoned - April 2nd, 2017
- BUTCHER, a rapid skill-based carnage from the makers of Soldat, is coming to PS4 and Xbox One - Develop - March 23rd, 2017
- Immigration launches new regulations to check terrorism, herders/farmers clashes - Daily Trust - March 21st, 2017
- Thinking Machines, book review: AI, past, present and future - ZDNet - March 21st, 2017
- South Dakota Law Protects Adoption Agencies From LGBT Parenting - Church Militant - March 17th, 2017
- Beaming in from SXSW - Cosmos - March 17th, 2017
- A Mutant Holocaust In 'Logan' - WAMC - March 17th, 2017
- Man merges with machine - SunLive (blog) - March 10th, 2017
- If you cry at work, pretend it's because you're very passionate about ... - Boing Boing - March 10th, 2017
- Could This Transhumanist Be the next Governor of California? - Big Think - March 8th, 2017
- Zoltan Istvan on transhumanism, politics and why the human body ... - Lifeboat Foundation (blog) - February 23rd, 2017
- In Conversation With: Priyanka Lama at London Fashion Week - VERVE - February 20th, 2017
- Technology for the body on the road to cyborgs? - WAtoday - February 19th, 2017
- Welcome to the era of transhumanism - New Atlas - February 17th, 2017
- It's Already Too Late to Stop the Singularity - Big Think - February 12th, 2017
- Transhuman: A New Documentary on People Who Want to Live Forever - The Libertarian Republic - February 6th, 2017
- A Pulse on Fashion - NC State News - February 6th, 2017
- Westworld: A Gnostic Tale of Illuminati Luciferianism ... - January 19th, 2017
- Nick Knight - Home - December 7th, 2016
- Transhumanismus Wikipedia - December 7th, 2016
- FM-2030 - Wikipedia - November 30th, 2016
- Transhuman - Wikipedia - October 17th, 2016
- Library - Transhuman- Shoud 1 - October 17th, 2016
- TransHuman Consulting | About Us - September 18th, 2016
- Official Soldat Forums - July 3rd, 2016