The Court of Appeal (CoA) has upheld a decision extending for ten years, rather than five, the bankruptcy of a property developer over serious failure to co-operate with his bankruptcy trustee.
Mr Justice George Birmingham, president of the CoA, found the extension of Patrick A Dalys bankruptcy was not so severe or disproportionate it should be set aside. He dismissed Mr Dalys appeal over the extension decision.
Mr Daly, formerly of Ballinagore House, Ballinagore, Co Westmeath, was declared bankrupt in 2015 having consented, along with his wife Ann, to a 4.4 million judgment against them in 2012.
He failed to co-operate with the official assignee in bankruptcy, including not filing a statement of affairs or personal information, until High Court proceedings seeking to extend his bankruptcy were brought against him in 2017.
Mr Daly and his wife had been involved in construction and property development over a number of years, operating through a number of companies.
They owned Ballinagore House, a company which owned an adjoining equestrian centre on 50 acres, and a Spanish holiday apartment.
Mr Justice Birmingham said that, by 2012, when they were seriously insolvent, Bank of Ireland, which had already sued them, threatened further proceedings. As a result, they entered into transactions concerning their assets including the sale of their home. While their home property was valued at 550,000, that was reduced to 100,000 because they retained rights of residence.
The house was sold to what the judge said was a friend and business associate of Mr Daly, Devon Anne McNeill, otherwise Devon Anne Ralls, who lived in America. A substantial interest in the equestrian centre was transferred to Mr Dalys brother Brendan through a company, Jalpa Properties. The Spanish apartment was also, in a share transfer deal, given to his brother apparently in payment for debts due to Brendan Daly.
Bank of Ireland, alongside all this, had brought proceedings seeking 4.4 million against Patrick A Daly and judgment was obtained on consent in 2012.
The official assignee alleged against Mr Daly he had failed to co-operate in the realisation of the assets of his estate or had hidden them from creditors.
The High Court ruled in 2018 Mr Daly had failed to do so and extended his bankruptcy by ten years. The High Court found, while Mr Daly had participated in an interview with the official assignee, he was not forthcoming particularly with regard to the involvement of his American associate, Ms McNeill/Ralls, in a Panamanian investment consortium.
In his appeal, Mr Dalys core claim was that the High Court lacked jurisdiction to extend by ten years when the official assignee had initially sought a five-year extension.
Mr Justice Birmingham said the High Court found Mr Dalys approach to his bankruptcy was obstructive. He had made life difficult for the official assignee, for example, in refusing to clarify whether Ms McNeill/Ralls was the same person who was involved in the Panamanian consortium, which Mr Daly was also involved in.
The High Court correctly concluded the non co-operation was at the serious end of the spectrum and a very significant extension was inevitable, he said.
- Navigo Proteins and MDimune Enter into a Research Collaboration on Affilin-Mediated Targeting of Extracellular Vesicles - BioSpace - May 11th, 2021
- Chris Berman signs multiyear extension with ESPN - ESPN - May 11th, 2021
- US Nuclear Weapons Systems Facing Risk with Replacements - The Cipher Brief - May 11th, 2021
- Global Nuclear Plant Life Extension Market Insights 2021 Industry Overview, Competitive Players & Forecast 2027| Areva,CNNC,Rosatom,Westinghouse... - May 11th, 2021
- Ascendis Pharma A/S Announces Preliminary 58-Week Results from Open-Label Extension of Phase 2 PaTH Forward Trial of TransCon PTH in Adult... - May 11th, 2021
- Study finds racial disparities in health care extend to dementia, Alzheimer's treatment - WCPO - May 11th, 2021
- For the 2nd time, Northrop Grumman catches a satellite in Earth orbit - EarthSky - April 23rd, 2021
- Kindred Biosciences Unveils Positive Results from its Long-Acting Interleukin-31 Antibody PK Study - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Why 'Clean Plate' must only be part of China's war on food waste - just-food.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Kindred Up on Study Results - Baystreet.ca - April 23rd, 2021
- Greek life is losing members. Heres why. - Vox.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Russia and China Would Love to See the F-35 Fail. But It Won't. - Heritage.org - April 23rd, 2021
- ProQR Announces Virtual Presentation of Phase 1/2 Sepofarsen Extension Trial Data at the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)... - April 23rd, 2021
- Galway Technology Centre hopes for jobs increase with extension - The Irish Times - April 23rd, 2021
- Adagio Therapeutics Announces $336 Million Series C Financing to Support Rapid Advancement of Novel ADG20 Antibody for the Treatment and Prevention of... - April 23rd, 2021
- Consider serving on the Cottonwood Extension Board - GREAT BEND TRIBUNE - Great Bend Tribune - April 11th, 2021
- Global Probiotics For Weight Management Market Is Thriving Worldwide by 2021-2027 | Top Players VSL, Ortho Molecular Products, Garden of Life The... - April 11th, 2021
- Molecular Partners Shares New Preclinical Data from its AML-Focused CD3 T-Cell Engager Program, CD40 Product Candidate MP0317, and Other Novel... - April 11th, 2021
- Oral & Dental Probiotics Market to Witness Growth Acceleration by Top Key Players Hyperbiotics, Life Extension, Now Foods, Blisprobiotics The... - April 11th, 2021
- Dundee Precious Metals Announces Mine Life Extension and Update to Mineral Resource and Mineral Reserve Estimates for the Chelopech Mine - Yahoo... - March 31st, 2021
- AudioValley Announces the Three-year Extension of Its 5 million Bond Issue With Patronale Life - Business Wire - March 31st, 2021
- Complix and VIB Publish Pioneering Study on Cell-Penetrating Alphabodies in Science Advances - PRNewswire - March 31st, 2021
- Magnesium Supplement Market will touch a new level in upcoming years | BioEmblem, Life Extension, Thorne, Nested Naturals The Bisouv Network - The... - March 31st, 2021
- US nuclear weapons are aging quickly. With few spare parts, how long can they last? - War Is Boring - March 31st, 2021
- Cullinan Oncology Reports Full Year 2020 Financial Results and Business Highlights - BioSpace - March 31st, 2021
- Pfizer's Ibrance, under threat from Novartis and Lilly, leans on real-world data in breast cancer - FiercePharma - March 31st, 2021
- Curcumin Supplement Market will touch a new level in upcoming years | Nutra-Life, Source Naturals, Thorne, Life Extension The Bisouv Network - The... - March 31st, 2021
- Ferry Flagship Gets the Wight Treatment - The Maritime Executive - March 31st, 2021
- Newly Report on Curcumin Supplement Market Overview With Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast to 2027 | Nutra-Life,Source... - March 31st, 2021
- Lincoln National Weather Service radar expected to be down next few days - CIProud.com - March 31st, 2021
- Astaxanthin Supplements Market 2021 Development History, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2027 | Black Mores, Nutrex Hawaii, Sport Research ... - March 31st, 2021
- Government of Canada awards contract for the Vessel Life Extension of Canadian Coast Guard Ships Cape Roger and Cygnus - Yahoo Finance - March 21st, 2021
- Fitzroy Beckford Named Director of UVM Extension | UVM Today - UVM News - March 21st, 2021
- Luria: Navy Should Not Decommission Ships Early in Favor of New Construction - USNI News - USNI News - March 21st, 2021
- Denver company aims to be the AAA of space by cleaning up junk in orbit - The Denver Post - March 21st, 2021
- Camposol will use AgroFresh plant-based coatings on its avocados Produce Blue Book - Produce Blue Book - March 21st, 2021
- Shelf Life Extension Ingredients Market to Witness an Astonishing Growth by 2028 Cabell Standard - Cabell Standard - March 21st, 2021
- Molino 4-H Member Falls In Love With An Animal. And A Way Of Life. - NorthEscambia.com - March 21st, 2021
- The U.S. Military's Nuclear Arsenal Is What Keeps Us Safe - The National Interest - March 21st, 2021
- SXSW 2021 Interview: WE ARE AS GODS Directors Jason Sussberg And David Alvarado On The Man Who Wants To Revive The Mammoth - ScreenAnarchy - March 21st, 2021
- Global Gold Exploration Snapshot: Eight companies on the move - The Northern Miner - March 21st, 2021
- The Best Places To Shop For Health Supplements Online - styledemocracy.com - March 21st, 2021
- Parts of the TTC are apparently being held together with duct tape - blogTO - March 21st, 2021
- Global Garlic Extract Supplement Market Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2020 to 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper -... - March 21st, 2021
- SDSU Extension to Cover Dry Cow Therapy in Spanish at CPDE - Yankton Daily Press - March 21st, 2021
- Ludwig Ahgren: The Twitch Livestream Subathon - The New York Times - March 21st, 2021
- Anglo aims at further 10 year life extension of SA iron ore assets; open to consolidation - Mining MX - February 27th, 2021
- Extension welcomes new family life team member who is serving Southern Illinois area - Annanews - February 27th, 2021
- Dr. Andrea Pryce Selected as Operations Manager for the Coral Springs Regional Institute of Public Safety Coral Springs Talk - Coral Springs Talk - February 27th, 2021
- When are the Braves giving Freddie Freeman an extension? - 11Alive.com WXIA - February 27th, 2021
- Shelf Life Extension Ingredients Market Global Trends, Emerging Technologies And Growth Analysis , Forecast To 2028 Express Keeper - Express Keeper - February 27th, 2021
- Springfield National Weather Service radar scheduled outage coming, will last about a week - KOLR - OzarksFirst.com - February 27th, 2021
- For Twin Cities power couple and their family, home is an extension of faithful service - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 27th, 2021
- Global Military Aircraft Modernization and Upgrade and Retrofit Markets to 2024: Incorporation of CNS Systems in aircraft and Emergence of SVAB -... - February 27th, 2021
- CH-53K King Stallion Beats CH-47 Chinook To Become Israel's Next Heavy Lift Helicopter - The Drive - February 27th, 2021
- North Sea Veslefrikk field to cease operations - Offshore Oil and Gas Magazine - February 27th, 2021
- Actinidia eriantha Polysaccharide and PD1-Antibody Combination Therapy | OTT - Dove Medical Press - February 27th, 2021
- Allicin Supplement Market Insights, SWOT Analysis and Future Growth trend by Players Nature Made, Nature's Bounty, Allimax International, Life... - February 27th, 2021
- Real-Time Communication with Dreaming Person Possible, Says Study | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel | weather.com - The... - February 22nd, 2021
- Strathclyde secures funding for low carbon SME projects - University of Strathclyde - February 22nd, 2021
- Carlos Correa: Extension talks 'are nowhere right now' with Astros - Houston Chronicle - February 22nd, 2021
- Shelf Life Extension Ingredients Market Size, Share Production & Consumption Analysis With Forecast To 2028 The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv... - February 22nd, 2021
- Francisco Lindor open to Mets extension, but talks haven't started: 'I've never been scared of free agency' - Yahoo Sports - February 22nd, 2021
- Opportunity Zone Extension Proposed in the House - Motley Fool - February 22nd, 2021
- Antioxidant Vitamin Market 2029 Competitive Analysis | Vibrant Health, AST R-ALA, GNC, Jarrow Formulas, Life Extension, NOW Foods The Bisouv Network... - February 22nd, 2021
- SAIC Maxus V90 Villa Edition Adds Second Story to the Classic RV - Car and Driver - February 22nd, 2021
- Base Resource's Kwale on track to achieve FY,2021 production - Mining Review - February 22nd, 2021
- Norwegian Army Adding 20 CV90s to Its Fleet - Business Wire - February 22nd, 2021
- NSR Insight: In-Orbit Servicing: Stepping up to the Challenge? SatNews - SatNews Publishers - February 20th, 2021
- 'I love it and Im excited by it' - Cavani revelling in life at Manchester United - Goal.com - February 20th, 2021
- We need to talk about consumption | Greenbiz - GreenBiz - February 20th, 2021
- Edited Transcript of GFIJ.J earnings conference call or presentation 18-Feb-21 1:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - February 20th, 2021
- We should be able to choose when to die cryonics advocate - RT - February 20th, 2021
- Federal government seeks fourth extension to update assisted-dying law - Kamloops This Week - February 20th, 2021
- Government of Canada awards contract for reconfiguration work on Canadian Coast Guard Ship Sir Wilfred Grenfell - Canada NewsWire - February 20th, 2021
- Time of death? Whenever you decide! Futurist pitches cryopreservation to RT mostly for people with a sense of adventure - RT - February 20th, 2021
- Feds ask court to grant 4th extension to allow passage of assisted dying bill - Global News - February 20th, 2021
- Lockdown extension disappointing - The North Bay Nugget - February 20th, 2021
- Get A New Flavor Of Protein Powder Every Day Thanks To Gainful - msnNOW - February 20th, 2021
- US needs to choose between new ICBMs & nightmare of nuclear deterrence OR meaningful disarmament through arms control - RT - February 20th, 2021