Fourth Amendment - The Text The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Fourth Amendment - The Meaning Protection against Unreasonable Search and Seizure: The Fourth Amendment protects people against unreasonable searches and seizures by government officials. A search can mean everything from a frisking by a police officer to a blood test to a search of an individuals home or car. A seizure occurs when the government takes control of an individual or something in his or her possession. Items that are seized often are used as evidence when the individual is charged with a crime.
The Fourth Amendment imposes certain limitations on police investigating a crime and prevents the use of illegally obtained evidence at trial. But it does not restrict all searches. For example, courts have ruled that school officials may search school lockers and require that students who participate in extracurricular activities undergo random drug testing.
See original here:
Annenberg Classroom - Fourth Amendment
- Scathing Dissent in Fourth Amendment Case - June 24th, 2016
- NACDL: Symposium Report: The Fourth Amendment in the Digital Age - June 13th, 2016
- Annotation 3 - Fourth Amendment - FindLaw - June 1st, 2016
- History :: Fourth Amendment--Search and Seizure :: US ... - June 1st, 2016
- The Fourth Amendment - Privacilla - April 22nd, 2016
- SCOTUS has two weeks of arguments starting Monday, one a ... - February 19th, 2016
- Harv.L.Rev.: Digital Duplications and the Fourth Amendment - February 15th, 2016
- Digital Duplications and the Fourth Amendment - Digital ... - February 15th, 2016
- CA2: Crossing threshold to arrest without warrant violates ... - February 3rd, 2016
- N.D.Ill.: Withheld video of CPD shooting revealed during ... - January 29th, 2016
- Fourth Amendment - Kids | Laws.com - January 29th, 2016
- Twenty-fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution ... - January 19th, 2016
- Fourth Amendment.com - October 22nd, 2015
- Thirty-fourth Amendment of the Constitution of Ireland ... - October 5th, 2015
- Fourth Amendment - National Constitution Center - September 30th, 2015
- Fourth Amendment - the Text, Origins, and Meaning - July 24th, 2015
- "Search and Seizure" and the Fourth Amendment - FindLaw - July 24th, 2015
- Government Explains Away Fourth Amendment Protection for ... - June 9th, 2015