Facebooksent the world into a frenzy when it announced its intention to enter thepayments space with the launch of its controversial cryptocurrency Libra earlier this year.
Initially, Facebook said it had garnered support from 28 companies, including some of the worlds top financial and technology giants.
But, as soon as regulators and central banks caught wind of Facebooks plans they began to issue warnings and air concerns about Libras potentialeffect on the worlds financial system; spooking several of the companys backers along the way.
Four months on, and after losing many of its original supporters,Facebook finally managed to get 21, out of the original 28, organizations to sign the Libra Association charter.
Hard Fork has put together a quick overview of every organization thats still involved and those who have (understandably!) ran a mile, because, lets face it, its hard to keep track.
Rumors about uneasiness among Facebooks Libra supporters have mounted for some time, but confirmation about a series of high-profile departures finally arrived over the past few weeks.
PayPals announcement as one of Libras initial backers failed to raise many eyebrows,given that that David Marcus, Libras managing director and COO, used to be president at the online payment system.
However, the multinational company became the first company to leave Libra when itannounced its withdrawalearlier this month.
PayPal didnt specify why it had decided to part ways, but said in a statement that it taken the decision to forgo further participation in the Libra association at this time and to continue to focus on advancing our existing mission and business priorities as we strive to democratize access to financial services for underserved populations.
Following increasing political pressure and just days before the projects supporters were due to meet in Geneva, to sign the charter,Mastercard, Visa, eBay, Stripe, and Mercado Pago pulled out.
We will continue to evaluate and our ultimate decision will be determined by a number of factors, including the Associations ability to fully satisfy all requisite regulatory expectations, a Visa company spokesperson said last Friday.
Visas continued interest in Libra stems from our belief that well-regulated blockchain-based networks could extend the value of secure digital payments to a greater number of people and places, particularly in emerging and developing markets, they added.
An eBay spokesperson told the Financial Times (FT) that it had made the decision in order to [focus] on rolling out eBays managed payments experience for our customers.
FinTech giant Stripe said that in spite of its exit it still believed Libra had potential to make online commerce more accessible for people around the world and remained open to working with the project at a later stage.
Two people familiar with the decisions tod the FT Mastercard and Mercado Pago had also quit.
Online travel companyBooking Holdings Inc., which runs websites including Kayak.com and Priceline.com, has also left the cryptocurrency project spearheaded by Facebook.
The blockchain and cryptocurrency industry is being represented by Anchorage, a firm seeking to advance institutional participation in the digital asset class; Bison Trails, a blockchain infrastructure provider; cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase, and bitcoin wallet and storage provider Xapo.
Unsurprisingly,Facebooks subsidiary Calibra, which will oversee the giants cryptocurrency plans including the creation of a blockchain-based digital wallet is staying put despite recently being sued by another mobile banking app for using a very similar logo.
Although Facebooks Libra is not out of the woods yet,it can (at least for now!) count on the support of heavyweights from the venture capital world.
Andreessen Horowitz, an investor in Facebook; Ribbit Capital, which has backed Coinbase and Xapo; and Union Square Ventures, an investor in Coinbase and Stripe, are all supporting the project.
Thrive Capital, which backs media and technology companies; and Breakthrough Initiatives, are also remaining loyal.
Vodafone, which recently repledged its support for the project so long as it operated independently of Facebook, is still involved.
Iliad,a French provider oftelecommunicationservices, also remains a partner.
Creative Destruction Lab,one of the original backers,is a not-for-profit startup program that combines computer science and economic design. It supports startups building new infrastructure and applications using blockchain technologies viaa dedicated Blockchain stream and has also signed the charter.
Fellow founding member Kiva, which crowdfunds loans for the underserved and seeks to improve financial barriers across the world, is also sticking around. So is Mercy Corps, ahumanitarian organization helping people to recover from a crisis.
Womens World Banking, focused on low-income women and helping them gain access to financial markets, is also remaining involved.
Another founding member is Farfetch Limited, a well-known luxury fashion platform set up in the United Kingdom.
When it announced its support,the company said that it had long been interested in blockchain, noting how it had been researching potential applications of the technology.
Spotify, which also pledged its support when the project was first announced, is in.
Libra offers a massive opportunity for simple, convenient, and safe payment over the internet (particularly for the 1.7 billion adults worldwide without access to mobile money, a bank account, or a payment card, it said in its original statement.
Uber and Lyft, both founding members, will be sticking around to help with the launch of Libra.
PayU was joined by Mastercard, Paypal, Stripe, and Visa in this category, but is now flying solo.
The Dutch online payment service provider (also Naspers fintech arm!) is also a founding partner and will be staying put.
Compliance issues, which have hit payment firms particularly hard, still remain and even thoughFacebook may perceive the signing of the membership charter to be a roaring success, Libras true tests still lay ahead.
At least Facebook has finally formalized a group seemingly working towards the same objective, though.
Want more Hard Fork?Join usin Amsterdam on October 15-17 to discuss blockchain and cryptocurrency with leading experts.
Published October 15, 2019 16:46 UTC
- Protesters Around The World Are Putting Their Hopes Into Cryptocurrency - Forbes - June 24th, 2020
- The Benefits of Cryptocurrency Trading Crypto Benzinga - Benzinga - June 24th, 2020
- UNICEF Cryptocurrency Fund announces its largest investment of startups in developing and emerging economies - UNICEF - June 24th, 2020
- Akon City: $6 Billion Cryptocurrency City Set to Begin Construction | News - Bitcoin News - June 24th, 2020
- From Ethereum to Stellar, to Solana: Cryptocurrency Kin Confirms Blockchain Migration - CoinDesk - June 24th, 2020
- More Than 14 Million XRP Deposits Within the First Week of Listing on CoinLoan - PRNewswire - June 24th, 2020
- Market Makers Hold The Key To Success Of Early-Stage Cryptocurrency Projects - hackernoon.com - June 24th, 2020
- Jim Rogers Discusses Bitcoin as Money and Why Governments Will Stop Crypto | News - Bitcoin News - June 24th, 2020
- South Korea to Unveil Rules of Cryptocurrency Taxation in July - Finance Magnates - June 24th, 2020
- Evorese.com, a new and promising cryptocurrency exchange - PR Web - June 24th, 2020
- Accessible crypto: Will the arrival of ziglu drive new levels of cryptocurrency adoption? - FXStreet - June 24th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency: Redefining the Future of Finance - Visual Capitalist - June 14th, 2020
- A Cryptocurrency User Paid $2.6M In Transaction Fee To Send $136 Twice - Benzinga - June 14th, 2020
- CryptoMixer.bz: Bitcoin Mixer for your anonymity in the Crypto World - Yahoo Finance - June 14th, 2020
- 80% of US and European Institutional Investors Find Cryptocurrency Appealing: Survey - Bitcoin News - June 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Quotes and Forecasts: Last Updates on Cryptocurrencies - FinSMEs - June 14th, 2020
- Justice Gets 15 Guilty Pleas for International Crime Ring that Laundered Money Through Cryptocurrency Exchanges - Nextgov - June 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin drops to $9,100, the rest of the market follows suit - FXStreet - June 14th, 2020
- Chainalysis Partners with A&D Forensics, Expanding Access to its Cryptocurrency Investigative Tools in Africa - bitcoinke.io - June 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin: A Value Investor's Take On This Asset Bubble - Seeking Alpha - June 14th, 2020
- CashTelex Is Driving Mainstream Crypto Adoption Through Its Brand New Physical Asset-Backed Cryptocurrency CTLX - Yahoo Finance - June 14th, 2020
- Ethereum 2.0: The Choice Between Ones Own Node and a Staking Service - Cointelegraph - June 14th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Can Become a Medicine to Treat the Challenges Caused by Covid-19 - Coin Idol - June 14th, 2020
- Binance Launches Quarterly BTC/USD Futures With Up To 125x Leverage - Benzinga - June 14th, 2020
- What Is The Future Of Cryptocurrency Going To Look Like? - About Manchester - June 6th, 2020
- Watch | What is crypto-jacking? - The Hindu - June 6th, 2020
- Regulating cryptocurrency exchanges - The Indian Express - June 6th, 2020
- HOW TO BUY BITCOIN ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT - Island Echo - June 6th, 2020
- Could Bitcoin Trading Volume Really 100X in Four Years? - Cointelegraph - June 6th, 2020
- First Mover: Bloomberg's Pie-in-the-Sky Bitcoin Call Looks Directionally Defensible - CoinDesk - June 6th, 2020
- $1.4 Billion In Cryptocurrency Stolen In The Spring of 2020 Amid Coronavirus and WoToken Scams - CryptoPotato - June 6th, 2020
- How to win cryptocurrency by playing Flappy Bird - Decrypt - June 6th, 2020
- What Is The Best Cryptocurrency Broker? - Cryptonews - June 6th, 2020
- Todays cache | Crypto-jacking, and more - The Hindu - June 6th, 2020
- Who are the distributors, traders and dealers of Cryptocurrency Market? - Fresno Observer - June 6th, 2020
- OKEx Continues Their Ongoing OKB Token Buyback - Cointelegraph - June 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology Market size Reap Excessive Revenues size COVID-19 2022 - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- Will Shopifys New Cryptocurrency Partnership Widen Its Moat? - Motley Fool - June 1st, 2020
- Meet Theta Fuel, the cryptocurrency that catches world's attention - Nairametrics - June 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin founder may have just moved nearly $400,000 in untouched cryptocurrency - The Independent - June 1st, 2020
- Bitcoins $100K Probability Speculation or Economic Theory Backed? - Finance Magnates - June 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin hodl waves indicate 60% of the cryptocurrency is being hoarded analysts suggest a bull run could be - Business Insider India - June 1st, 2020
- Everything to Know about the Emergence of Prepaid Cryptocurrency Debit Cards: - PaymentsJournal - June 1st, 2020
- Africa's young population and the drive for cryptocurrency - Techpoint.ng - June 1st, 2020
- Kraken CEO: Bitcoin (BTC) Would Be Worth $1,000,000,000,000 If the Masses Knew the Power of Cryptocurrency - The Daily Hodl - June 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin bleeding as the market gets ready for CME futures expiration - FXStreet - June 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cardano increased by 15% - The Times Hub - June 1st, 2020
- Calibras Rebrand to Novi: An Effort to Create Distance from Facebook? - Finance Magnates - June 1st, 2020
- Why Have Cryptocurrency Payments Failed to Take Off So Far? - Cointelegraph - May 25th, 2020
- What to Know About Billions' Cryptocurrency Drama If You Know Nothing About Cryptocurrency - Vulture - May 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and COVID-19: Bitcoins Path to a Safe Haven - Cointelegraph - May 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin prices slip amid speculation that a block of the cryptocurrency possibly linked to creator Satoshi Nakamoto just changed hands - MarketWatch - May 25th, 2020
- Zcash's First Halving May Solve Its Inflation Problem - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 25th, 2020
- The Global Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market is expected to grow by $ 2.80 bn during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 7% during the forecast... - May 25th, 2020
- Is 2020 the year to invest in cryptocurrency? - About Manchester - May 25th, 2020
- RenBTC Quietly Goes Live in Latest Bid to Bring Bitcoin Into Ethereum - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 25th, 2020
- Eight Countries That Don't Tax Your Bitcoin Gains | Finance Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 25th, 2020
- The Top 5 Cryptocurrencies to Mine  | Coin Insider - Coin Insider - May 25th, 2020
- Can Stablecoins Be the Answer to Cryptocurrency's Biggest Problem? - News Anyway - May 25th, 2020
- ZIMBOCASH Lists Cryptocurrency Token, Wants To Be Alternative To ZW$ - Technology Zimbabwe - May 25th, 2020
- Bitcoin investors are bracing for a key technical event here's what you need to know - CNBC - May 11th, 2020
- Teen Hackers Accused of Cryptocurrency Theft, Sued For $71 Mn - CISO MAG - May 11th, 2020
- Coinbase CEO Says New Cryptocurrency Bill Would Have Major Impact on Future of Finance - The Daily Hodl - May 11th, 2020
- Paul Tudor Jones calls bitcoin a 'great speculation,' says he has almost 2% of his assets in it - CNBC - May 11th, 2020
- No way around it: the irreparable damage cryptocurrency does to the environment - Green Prophet - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin halving explained: What is cryptocurrency event and will it boost price? - The Independent - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bloodbath as Bitcoin nosedives to $8,000, Ethereum $180 and Ripple $0.1780 - FXStreet - May 11th, 2020
- Investors Who Bought iMining Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (CVE:IMIN) Shares A Year Ago Are Now Up 56% - Simply Wall St - May 11th, 2020
- Ethereum, XRP, and Litecoin Prices Wait for Bitcoins Halving - Crypto Briefing - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin's halving might see a large influx of investors wanting a piece of the cryptocurrency market - Mashable SE Asia - May 11th, 2020
- What is a cryptocurrency and why is it needed? - AMBCrypto English - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple have a bullish start to Saturday, following Fridays drop - FXStreet - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Litecoin dipped to 12% - The Times Hub - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin halving, coronavirus and recession: Is an adoption surge ahead? - Verdict - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Bityard Launched A Global Business Layout Using Singapore As Its Base - IndianWeb2.com - May 11th, 2020
- The IRS Wants to Know About Your Cryptocurrency Transactions - Interesting Engineering - May 7th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin whales massively accumulating, Ethereum and Ripple commence consolidation - FXStreet - May 7th, 2020
- Rand Corporation report finds bitcoin is still the dark webs preferred cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - May 7th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and the future of the automotive trading industry - Irish Tech News - May 7th, 2020