Infrastructure is a topic most of us dont think about. We just expect it to work in the same way we expect the lights to come on when we flip a switch. However, there has been increasing concern by trucking companies, shippers, and even the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that the infrastructure we all count on safe roads, bridges, waterways is showing its age and in need of repair.
That is not surprising when you realize that our interstate highway system was created in the 1950s. Since that time, commercial and passenger traffic has grown exponentially, while arguably, investments and repairs have not kept pace. According to the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Americas roads are often crowded, frequently in poor condition, chronically underfunded, and dangerous.
The ASCE recently gave our roads and bridges a score of D+ on a scale of A-F, with F being a failing grade. Their report also puts a price tag on the congestion that they say impacts every two out of five miles of Americas urban interstates $160 billion in wasted time and fuel in the calendar year 2014 alone.
For supply chain managers, the impact of our nations infrastructure is about more than a long commute to work. It is about delays that could make it harder to get products to market and more difficult to compete, as well as potential capacity issues as carriers strive to deliver just-in-time service while dealing with congestion, poor road conditions, and increased costs for fuel and labor when trucks are forced to sit in traffic.
Many groups and advocates are proposing a variety of solutions to the current and pending infrastructure crisis in America. While we may be limited in our ability to impact the governments plan for infrastructure, we can take advantage of technology to mitigate the impacts of the issue on our businesses and supply chains.
Here are the top four ways that a Transportation Management System (TMS) can help you navigate the often crowded road ahead.
One of the most common features of a TMS solution is its ability to route freight movements. If your TMS provides control tower visibility across both inbound and outbound shipments, the technology can help you find the most direct routes and eliminate empty miles. And with flexible and customizable TMS solutions, you can proactively plan around areas of gridlock. This will keep your freight moving, not stuck in traffic.
With a TMS that has a single platform for all modes of transportation parcel, less-than-truckload, truckload, ocean, air, rail, and intermodal you can optimize loads. For example, several small parcels can become one less-than-truckload (LTL) shipment, or multiple LTL shipments can be consolidated into one truckload. A good TMS optimization tool will ensure that you have the ability to quickly review multiple scenarios, building in service commitments as well as past experience that you have had with specific carriers. You may experience a reduction in overall transportation spending, and with fewer, fuller trucks on the road, everyone benefits from less congestion on already crowded highways.
For companies that use a combination of a private fleet and outside carriers, deciding how to best utilize all of these assets can be a challenge. For example, should you move a shipment from Charlotte, NC to Miami, FL on your private fleet when the chances are the truck will return from Miami empty? If so, can you search your entire network for a backhaul opportunity? A TMS that offers fleet management solutions can help you make those types of decisions and can also help you to maximize all of your assets, with complete and current data about drivers, equipment and operations. If a driver is stuck in a traffic jam and nearing the end of their hours of service (HOS), that is information you need sooner, rather than later.
Access to capacity for backhauls
TMS solutions can also offer quick and easy access to information about available capacity, helping you to secure backhauls to offset imbalances. Some systems provide you with the ability to view all of the options available on private and public bid boards, and you can save time by using automated email messages regarding loads. Again, this will help you avoid empty miles, which add unnecessary costs to your supply chain and place even more strain on the nations roads and highways.
When it comes to infrastructure, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce sums up the issue very succinctly, Most Americans agree that our roads, bridges, mass transit systems, air, and seaports and water infrastructure are critical national assets that drive growth, jobs, and global competitiveness. What we cant seem to agree on is how to pay for badly needed maintenance and repairs.
Clearly there is not an easy or obvious solution. But, technology solutions like TMSs can help supply chain managers avoid extra costs and gain efficiency even when dodging potholes.
Karen Sage isMercuryGatesChief Marketing Officer (CMO) responsible for the companys global marketing, communications, sales enablement, and go-to-market efforts. She is a veteran with 20+ years of experience in business-to-business marketing and communications helping several industry leaders launch disruptive new categories, accelerate revenue growth, build leadership brands, and establish marketing organizations that scale globally. She comes to MercuryGate most recently from the spend management solution provider, SciQuest. Prior to SciQuest, she was at CA Technologies where she served as vice president of marketing leading rapid growth initiatives. Her experiences leading growth also include multiple leadership roles during a 15-year stint at Cisco. Karen started her career having invented the NETSYS Performance tools at NETSYS Technologies, Inc., which was acquired by Cisco in 1996.
See original here:
- Coupa acquires BELLIN, targeting treasury management (Part 2: TMS Market, Competitors and TAM / Market-Sizing Considerations) - Spend Matters - June 24th, 2020
- Archerhub Launches ALVUS TMS to help Carrier Partners Grow their Businesses - DC Velocity - June 24th, 2020
- Axele TMS allows small, midsize FTL carriers to improve load planning and communications, increase profit - The Trucker - June 24th, 2020
- IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON Talent Management Systems (TMS) RESEARCH, GROWTH TRENDS AND COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS 2020-2026 - Jewish Life News - June 24th, 2020
- Addressing the potential impact of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on TMS Neuronavigation Systems Market: Industry Size, Trends and Analysis - Jewish... - June 24th, 2020
- Toll Management System(TMS) Market Overview, Environmental Analysis and Forecas - News by aeresearch - June 24th, 2020
- Interview: Steve Guttenberg on Into the Dark's Good Boy, Home for the Holidays, and His Craft - The Mary Sue - June 24th, 2020
- Active Recovery TMS Treats Depression Without Medication - KATU - June 1st, 2020
- TMS focuses on digitalisation and business transformation in third Covid-19 Webinar - Latest Maritime & Shipping News Online - The Maritime... - June 1st, 2020
- TMS ends the year, honors students with virtual award ceremony - thechronicle-news.com - June 1st, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Outbreak on Treasury Management System (TMS) Market 2020 Trends, Growth Opportunities, Demand, Application, Top Companies and... - June 1st, 2020
- IndyCar drivers prepare to enter a 'new world' of racing when the season resumes June 6 at Texas Motor Speedway - The Dallas Morning News - June 1st, 2020
- Work begins on Hong Kong rail extension - The Construction Index - June 1st, 2020
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Along With Covid-19 Impact Analysis and Industry Outlook 2020-2026 by Magstim , MagVenture ,... - June 1st, 2020
- Alpega's Freight Exchange, Teleroute, launches an API interface and a new mobile App to help their increasing number of customers work even more... - June 1st, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market Recent Trends and Developments, Challenges and Opportunities, key drivers and Restraints over the... - May 24th, 2020
- Hilton TMs Save Life of Guest Suffering Heart Attack - Franchising.com - May 24th, 2020
- UltraShipTMS Partners with LeanSwift to Deliver TMS Solutions to Shippers Using Infor M3 ERP - PR Web - May 24th, 2020
- COVID-19: Responding to the business impacts of Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020: Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends,... - May 24th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Talent Management Software (TMS) Market Rising Trends and Global Outlook (2020 To 2027) - Latest Herald - May 4th, 2020
- From the First Message to the Last Mile, BluJay's Latest Software Releases Improve Complex Logistics - DC Velocity - May 4th, 2020
- GlobalTranz Recognized as Top Ten Freight Brokerage for a Third Consecutive Year by Transport Topics - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2020
- Texas Motor Speedway is hosting high school graduations for the class of 2020 - CNN - May 4th, 2020
- Texas Motor Speedway to host HS graduation ceremonies - RACER - May 4th, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Size by Top Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Outlook and Forecasts to 2026 - Latest... - May 4th, 2020
- These Analysts Think Greenbrook TMS Inc.s (TSE:GTMS) Sales Are Under Threat - Simply Wall St - May 4th, 2020
- Pokmon GOs Elite TMs Arrive And Shake Up The Meta Movesets - TheGamer - May 4th, 2020
- Powerful Optimization Tool from MercuryGate Uniquely Supports the Transportation Industrys Demand to Drive a Disrupted Supply Chain - Yahoo Finance - April 11th, 2020
- Powerful Optimization Tool from MercuryGate Uniquely Supports the Transportation Industry's Demand to Drive a Disrupted Supply Chain - Business Wire - April 9th, 2020
- Alpega TMS Brings Together the Expertise of inet and Transwide - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2020
- The Remedy Is Now Offering Deep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (Deep TMS) Therapy to Treat Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) and Obsessive-Compulsive... - April 9th, 2020
- Time To Worry? One Analyst Just Downgraded Their EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP) Outlook - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2020
- Valiant latest Canadian supplier to add to arsenal of health, free of charge - Automotive News Canada - April 9th, 2020
- No interest in Texas IndyCar race without fans - The Union Journal - April 9th, 2020
- Can EDAP TMS S.A.'s (NASDAQ:EDAP) ROE Continue To Surpass The Industry Average? - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2020
- EKA Solutions Announces TMS Offer for Brokers to Operate their Business Entirely Remotely - The Herald Journal - March 31st, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce Fourth Quarter and Year Ended December 31, 2019 Financial Results on Monday, March 30, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2020
- Jeremy Hudson Named to the 2020 Food Logistics Champions: Rock Stars of the Supply Chain - Benzinga - March 31st, 2020
- Production Team TMS on the Unlikely Success of 'Someone You Loved' - Billboard - March 24th, 2020
- BrainsWay Reports Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2019 Financial Results and Operational Highlights - Yahoo Finance - March 24th, 2020
- VIDEO: What is TMS-65U? Soviet-era MiG-15 fighter jet engine powered special vehicle deployed by Russia to battle coronavirus in Italy - International... - March 24th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of BRIN.TA earnings conference call or presentation 23-Mar-20 12:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - March 24th, 2020
- A Drive To Investigate: Full Genesect Special Research Tasks, Steps And Rewards In Pokmon GO - Forbes - March 24th, 2020
- The Transportation Management System (TMS) MARKET is expected to grow by USD 1.62 bn during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of 9% during the forecast... - March 5th, 2020
- GO Battle League Season 1: Everything You Need to Know - Pokemon GO Hub - March 5th, 2020
- Pokemon Go Elite TMs and How to Get the Best Use out of Them - Future Game Releases - March 5th, 2020
- Massive growth of Preservation TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2025 with high CAGR In Coming Years with Focusing Key players like... - March 5th, 2020
- Lindsay Luetje goes above and beyond as Telstar dean - Lewiston Sun Journal - March 5th, 2020
- What Is A Game Localization System And What Can It Do For You? [Part 1] - Gamasutra - March 5th, 2020
- BrainsWay to Participate in Upcoming Investor Conferences - Yahoo Finance - March 5th, 2020
- Make Your Workflow Smooth and Effective! This New System is the Key - Slator - February 29th, 2020
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil to Reap Excessive Revenues by 2019-2025 - Jewish Life News - February 29th, 2020
- San Francisco Bay Area Psychiatric Acquisition Will Increase Access to Advanced Care - Benzinga - February 29th, 2020
- Clean Energy appoints Total S.A. executive to board of directors - LNG Industry - February 29th, 2020
- Before You Buy EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP), Consider Its Volatility - Simply Wall St - February 29th, 2020
- Troy 30-C coach named 2020 Distinguished Middle School Coach of the Year - The Herald-News - February 29th, 2020
- Global Truckmount Carpet Cleaner Market Size Is Anticipated To Witness Over XX% CAGR Up To 2024 TMS Cleaning Supplies & Equipment, Aero Tech... - February 29th, 2020
- TMS individual race tickets officially on sale - Speedway Digest - January 18th, 2020
- MGR songs stay fresh even today thanks to TMS - News Today - January 18th, 2020
- Global Supply Chain Management Software Market 2020-2024 | 11% CAGR Projection Over the Next Five Years | Technavio - Yahoo Finance - January 18th, 2020
- The Masked Singers Davina McCall Reveals Upcoming Surprises On The Show! [VIDEO] - Talent Recap - January 18th, 2020
- The Morning Show and life after #MeToo - The Hindu - January 18th, 2020
- Trimble to Acquire Kuebix in effort to create a transportation logistics ecosystem - The Trucker - January 18th, 2020
- Psychiatrist to shutter outpatient practice - The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel - December 13th, 2019
- Toys for Tots Greenbrook TMS Therapy Black Cat 2 1 - Connecting Vets - December 13th, 2019
- Transformer Monitoring Systems Market Analysis of Market Future Trends and Technological Improvements 2024 - The Market Expedition - December 13th, 2019
- When Should You Buy EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP)? - Simply Wall St - December 13th, 2019
- How junk food shapes the developing teenage brain - The Conversation CA - December 13th, 2019
- Bidvest Waltons delivers on its promise after subscribing to Picup's TMS solution - Intelligent CIO Africa - November 30th, 2019
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Report by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application Forecast 2019 - 2025 - Statsflash - November 30th, 2019
- Pokmon: 10 Mechanics Introduced In Gen I That Are Missing Today - TheGamer - November 30th, 2019
- Wizz Air Selects Fox as their TMS of Choice - AviationPros.com - November 26th, 2019
- Pokmon Sword and Shield TMs: locations list for where to find every TM in Galar - Eurogamer.net - November 26th, 2019
- Overhauling the Pokemon GO TM System | Pokemon GO Wiki - GamePress - November 26th, 2019
- Pokemon Sword & Shield: All TMs & Where to Find Them - Twinfinite - November 26th, 2019
- Global Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Breakaway Trends - November 26th, 2019
- Massive Growth in Talent Management Software Market Opportunities and Forecast, 2019-2024 - Market Report Gazette - November 26th, 2019
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2019 by Industry Volume, Share, Trends, Opportunities, Types, Product Analysis, Applications and... - November 26th, 2019
- Pokmon Sword and Shield guide: Where to find and buy TMs - Polygon - November 23rd, 2019
- Behind The Scenes With Laurence Fishburne Discusses TMS Treatments For Depression - PR Web - November 23rd, 2019