By BRENT STUBBS
Senior Sports Reporter
ALBERT Bert Bell, father and coach of two of the countrys most talented and versatile athletes, David and Andrew Bell, passed away on Saturday at his home in Grand Bahama.
Bell, a renowned coach and administrator in swimming, cycling, triathlon and rugby, was 75. He suffered from an illness with a series of complications from his prostate and kidney.
His family and friends were preparing to launch a medical fund to assist him with an emergency operation, but that never took place as they were waiting for his exams to determine his exact diagnosis.
David Bell, the oldest son at 45, said from the age of nine, his father got him involved in swimming and throughout his career in just about every sport he participated in, Bert Bell was in his corner as his coach.
Hes put many world class athletes on the scene. Hes helped a lot of kids, turning them into Olympians, collegiate athletes, CARIFTA medallists and national champions, especially in cycling with me and Keith Major, who was a close friend, David said.
I know he coached guys like McArthur Rigby in track, but I was pretty much the only one he spent a lot of time with in track during my era and after that.
His incredible consistency with just being there and being stern and having a vision for developing athletes, who had a threshold for pain and an intense training.
As an athlete, David Bell said if his father didnt put him through an intense routine in training, he wasnt training because he passed that mentality to all of his athletes.
I was willing to die to win and that came from him, said David, who has represented the Bahamas in swimming and track and field at the CARIFTA Games and the Junior Central American and Caribbean Games before he became the first Bahamian to qualify to compete in triathlon at the Pan American Games in Winnipeg, Canada in 1999 and the Commonwealth Games in Manchester, England in 2002, If you didnt throw up (vomit), maybe you werent pushing yourself hard enough. He left you in pain. He had a high hold for pain, that was what he instilled in everybody he coached. That was my last memory of him in sport.
David Bell, however, said his father was also keen on his athletes achieving a high standard in their academics and he was thrilled when he completed high school at Eight Mile Rock and went on to excel at Penn State.
Andrew Bell, the younger brother, followed David competing since he was 3-4 years old and was his coach aswell until he went off to Lindenwood University after he graduated from Bishop Michael Elden in 2001.
It was brutal. He basically pushed you as hard as he could. He made you break boundaries in your mind before your body actually wanted to give up, Andrew Bell said. He kind of taught me and other athletes how to get pass that barrier.
Andrew Bell, who specialised in the freestyle events in swimming, came close to making the team for the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece, but he fell short. He did the CARIFTA Swimming and CCCAN Championships.
There was nothing like a coach-father-son relationship in sports, said Andrew Bell, now 36 and married to Vanessa Knowles and also the father of two children.
David was my main competition and my goal at first was to be like him and then to beat him. So he pushed me. I just think its going to be hard to replace him as a father and a coach. People like him dont come around every generation.
David Bell, who is married to Shanika Green and the father of two children as well, competed in freestyle and individual events in swimming. He was also a middle distance runner and a cyclist, who combined those skills to compete in triathlon.
Bell is also survived by a daughter, Trudi Bell, who is 47, but she wasnt as actively involved as an athlete as her brothers.
Having known Bert Bell for just about all of his life, Dorian Roach said he felt as if he was a member of the family too.
Ive known him since for about 35, almost 40 years now, mostly through swimming, competing in his club and he coached me a couple of times on the national team. I knew him in rugby and of course in triathlon where he formed the original draft and the constitution that we used to form the association, said Roach, now the president of the Bahamas Triathlon Association.
Every time I saw him at nationals at the pool, at the rugby pitch and the Conchman, which he organised for many years, I know how much he has given to our community, so he will definitely be missed for sure.
Roach said Bell developed two outstanding young men into great Bahamian athletes in quite a number of sports, leaving behind a legacy that will be hard to match.
The rest is here:
- What's New In The Bahamas In May - PRNewswire - May 7th, 2021
- The Bahamas Celebrates Travel Agents With Virtual Party In 'Da Backyard' - PRNewswire - May 7th, 2021
- From The Bahamas to Grenada, Caribbean Resorts for Remote Work - Caribbean Journal - May 7th, 2021
- A Bahamas family is offering a dream $120k caretaker job for their homes with insane perks - Republic TV - May 7th, 2021
- This Family Will Pay You Rs 1 Crore to Look After Their Estate in the Bahamas - News18 - May 7th, 2021
- THE SKIES ARE OURS: Bahamas assumes historical management of sovereign airspace - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- Rich family seeks couple to work as live-in cleaners in the Bahamas for 90,000 salary - The Independent - May 7th, 2021
- Millions allocated for Bahamas energy transformation Eye Witness News - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- Vaccinated Americans Can Start Flying To The Bahamas Without A Negative COVID Test - Patch.com - May 7th, 2021
- With vaccinations on board, CBF disaster relief looks toward unfinished work in Bahamas - Baptist News Global - May 7th, 2021
- What's new in the Islands of The Bahamas in May - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - May 7th, 2021
- Eight migrants charged with attempting to illegally enter US from Bahamas - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- Family looking for couple to work on private island in the Bahamas - Metro.co.uk - May 7th, 2021
- Another fantasy island in The Bahamas hits the market, along with Exuma's getaway home - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- Caribbean Photo of the Week: Eleuthera, The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - May 7th, 2021
- The Islands of The Bahamas announces updated travel and entry protocols - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - May 7th, 2021
- TAKE ACTION OR PAY: Public health measures must be followed and enforced or cases will continue to rise, health official warns - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- Carolyn Cooper | Yvonne Skeffrey a Jamaican at home in the Bahamas - Jamaica Gleaner - May 7th, 2021
- US to export 10 percent of vaccine supplies to other countries by July 4 - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- TEETERING: More cases in April than first three months of 2021 - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- WET WEATHER INCOMING: Another active hurricane season projected for 2021 - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- MORE AND MORE: Nearly 200000 registered to vote; more than 500 added in the last month - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- SUCCESS EXPECTED: Sandals has no doubt NP resort will reopen fully booked out after $37M renovation - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- PwC in the Caribbean and the PwC Charitable Foundation donate $100K to St Vincent volcano relief efforts - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- SLOW CLIMB: Govt revenue improves in third quarter but still down nearly 30 percent - EyeWitness News - May 7th, 2021
- The Bahamas Welcomes Visitors With Even More Ways To Travel This Summer - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- NFL stars converge on the Bahamas to soak up the sun - Page Six - April 23rd, 2021
- No Bahamas team for the World Relays - Bahamas Tribune - April 23rd, 2021
- TURBULENCE: Parts of Bahamas see tornados and waterspouts - EyeWitness News - April 23rd, 2021
- Bahamas Petroleum to reset and rebrand as Challenger Energy Group - Proactive Investors UK - April 23rd, 2021
- American Airlines announces service expansion to The Bahamas | New York Carib News - NYCaribNews - April 23rd, 2021
- GAINING MOMENTUM: MSC Cruises could be third major cruise line this year to start homeporting in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - April 23rd, 2021
- The Bahamas International Travel Information - April 21st, 2021
- The Best Bahamas Vacation Packages 2021 - Tripadvisor - April 21st, 2021
- CDC Updates Bahamas Travel Advisory, What's the Impact on Cruises? - Cruise Hive - April 21st, 2021
- CDC Raises Warning, Advises Against Traveling to Bahamas - Cruise Radio - April 21st, 2021
- 'DON'T GO THERE': U.S. puts Bahamas back on top level alert as cases rise - Bahamas Tribune - April 21st, 2021
- Why vacationing in the Bahamas now is a dream come true - New York Post - April 21st, 2021
- The Island of Grand Bahama Is Heating Up Caribbean Journal - Caribbean Journal - April 21st, 2021
- Sandals Planning Renovation at Bahamas All-Inclusive Resort - Caribbean Journal - April 21st, 2021
- Man killed in plane crash off The Bahamas - Nation News - April 21st, 2021
- Sandals celebrates 25 year in the Bahamas with multi-million-dollar renovation - Travelweek - April 21st, 2021
- Bahamas to research mental wellbeing of seafarers ShipInsight - ShipInsight - April 21st, 2021
- Bryan and Sarah Baeumler on reopening their Bahamas resort after the pandemic halted all operations - Post City - April 21st, 2021
- From emergency to recovery: Delivering water, sanitation, and hygiene - Mercy Corps - April 21st, 2021
- IN JEOPARDY: BHTA president warns against apathy and COVID fatigue injuring tourism industry rebound - EyeWitness News - April 21st, 2021
- Son dead and father in hospital after Bimini crash - Bahamas Tribune - April 21st, 2021
- FACE TO FACE: Setting out the path to giving women a fairer deal - Bahamas Tribune - April 21st, 2021
- Bimini plane crash leaves son dead and father in hospital - EyeWitness News - April 21st, 2021
- Three men arrested and charged for illegal landing following viral video showing migrants living in bus - EyeWitness News - April 21st, 2021
- Vaccinations resume on Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - April 21st, 2021
- FULLY RECOVERED: Commodore King says small function unlikely source of COVID exposure - EyeWitness News - April 21st, 2021
- Sology Solutions and Open Systems Technologies International (Bahamas) Limited Partner to Drive Technology Innovation and Create Jobs in the Bahamas -... - April 13th, 2021
- Royal Caribbean is working to get more flight options to the Bahamas - Royal Caribbean Blog - April 13th, 2021
- Disney in 75 percent fleet visit promise to The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- The Bahamas sends its condolences after the death of Prince Philip - Bahamas Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- RUM BUSINESS BOOST: Bahamas rum exports to benefit from over $110M in EU-supported trade development for the Caribbean - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- GOALPOST: Bahamas aiming to vaccinate 80 percent of population to achieve herd immunity against COVID - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- Central Bank of Bahamas shares updates on Sand dollar CBDC progress - The Paypers - April 13th, 2021
- Letters to the Editor: A dear friend of The Bahamas dies - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- ON THE BANDWAGON: More than 10K people in The Bahamas vaccinated against COVID so far - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- KILLINGS ON THE RISE: Murders up 56 percent in Q1 - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- NRA trial opens window on secretive leader's life and work - The Associated Press - April 13th, 2021
- Lewis opens Job Ready Programme in Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- Brianne: 'Bahamas could win this 4 x 4, we could win' - Bahamas Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- 'WE'RE HUMAN TOO': Shanty town residents hit out at authorities on tactics employed in raid - Bahamas Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- TENTATIVE APPROVAL: Survey shows support for cannabis use for religious purposes, but with restrictions - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- VERY SERIOUS AND TROUBLING MATTER: Officials hone in on trend of marijuana edibles in schools - EyeWitness News - April 13th, 2021
- Crystal Symphony Will Be the First Ship to Ever Homeport in Antigua & Barbuda - Travel Market Report - April 13th, 2021
- DIANE PHILLIPS: Man's best friend - then it's time we started treating them properly - Bahamas Tribune - April 13th, 2021
- Best Cruises You Can Take This Summer - Cruise Fever - April 13th, 2021
- Grandad who started business from nothing has 100m 'could buy island in the Bahamas' - Birmingham Live - April 13th, 2021
- What's New In The Islands Of The Bahamas In April - PRNewswire - April 6th, 2021
- When is the best time to go to The Bahamas - Lonely Planet Travel News - April 6th, 2021
- Embarrassing state report on The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - April 6th, 2021
- TRYP Air Charter takes flight to the islands of The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021
- Florida's Senators Continue the Fight to Stop Drilling off the Bahamas - Florida Daily - April 6th, 2021
- Teresa Giudice's Daughters Glowed in Gorgeous Easter Outfits in the Bahamas - Yahoo Entertainment - April 6th, 2021
- STRICTER MEASURES: Travelers from Harbour Island & Eleuthera to rest of Bahamas must have negative RT-PCR test - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021
- REINFORCEMENTS: COVID-19 vaccines from COVAX Facility touchdown in The Bahamas - EyeWitness News - April 6th, 2021