Mathematics is not about numbers, equations, computations, or algorithms. Mathematics is about understanding. William Paul Thurston
According to the World Economic Forum, the age of AI and smart machines will create three types of jobs in the future of work: 1. those that will disappear (replaced by automation and machines), 2. those that are in collaboration with machines and algorithms, and 3. those jobs that are completely new or remain largely untouched. The new jobs created by AI will require a combination of technology and liberal arts skills in order to optimize business outcomes. According to IDC research, AI powered CRM will create $1.1 trillion dollars of incremental revenue and more than 2 million net new jobs.
To learn more about the future of work and the impact of artificial intelligence, machine learning and data science business strategies, Ray Wang and I invited one of the foremost authorities and expert on application of machine intelligence, organizational leadership and strategy to our weekly show DisrupTV.
Angela Zutavern is Vice President at Booz Allen Hamilton and Board of Directors ICE Foundation. Zutavern has pioneered the application of machine intelligence to organizational leadership and strategy. She is an inventor of the machine intelligence and data science strategies that are now helping business and government organizations make better decisions and gain competitive advantages. Zutavern led Booz Allens most advanced data science research and development efforts, including the areas of deep learning and quantum machine learning. She has worked with clients in every major U.S. government cabinet-level department as well as in sub-level agencies. In addition, Angela advised manyFortune500 companies and led teams across every major industry.
A frequent industry, academic, and media speaker on the power of data science, Angela convenes the Chief Data Officer (CDO) Council for the U.S. federal government community. In addition, she is actively involved in strengthening diversity and inclusion, especially in technology, and is an enthusiastic champion of women in data science. Angela also serves on the board of directors of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Foundation, a nonprofit organization that supports ICE employees in their homeland security and public safety missions.
Zutavern co-authored the 2017 book The Mathematical Corporation, which explores how organizations and their leaders can beat the competition by coupling human ingenuity with the mathematical power of machine intelligence. Zutavern shows business leaders how to compete in this new era: by combining the mathematical smarts of machines with the intellect of visionary leaders.
Multiplying our potential capabilities by showing us how to merge human intelligence and machine intelligence, The Mathematical Corporation reveals how leaders can score strategic triumphs and fulfill missions that once seemed out-of-reach or even impossible to attain, said Zutavern. Here are some use cases from the book:
Several companies were referenced as mathematical corporations, including Tesla. Teslas vehicles include software that aids customers limited self-driving. Another set of software, with no effect on the car, records all driver behavior so Tesla can accumulate the data to build future full-service self-driving capability. Whereas it took Google six years to gather a million miles of actual self-driving car data, Teslas 70,000 cars produce a million miles of driver data every ten hours. Who will succeed first in using the data for the next breakthrough?
Here are 7 top takeaways from THE MATHEMATICAL CORPORATION - According to the authors: If the past was about analytics and big data, the future is about the big mind of the mathematical corporation. Big mind comes from combining the mathematical smarts of machines with your own imaginative human intellect. It requires the following shifts in thinking:
Here are the key takeaways from our conversation with Zutavern:
Digital savvy businesses leaders are pioneering the use of machine intelligence within their organizations - the combination of machine and human talent will unleash a whole new set of capabilities for products, services and most importantly business model innovation.
AI is another seat at the boardroom table - a mathematical corporation will use data and the predictive power of data to better understand future trends and adapt accordingly. The combination of machine and human intelligence will accelerate concept to commercialization of capabilities.
In every industry, businesses leaders can leverage the power of data sciences to bolster business strategy - Zutavern references Tesla versus Google and the use of same technology, but different strategies, where Tesla is leaning into capturing far more user data from their autonomous cars to improve the user experience and innovation velocity.
In the AI economy, diversity of backgrounds is key to success - The liberal arts graduates have a great opportunity to impact product design and innovation strategies. Zutavern references innovation competitions and hackathons that benefit from groups from diverse backgrounds. An example of developing algorithms for detecting lung cancer was used to demonstrate the benefits of diversity of experience. The first step is figuring out what you dont know and then inviting domain experts to collaborate as a team.
Video and image recognition will be a significant growth areas - There are many consumer, retail, government and safety applications that will require further advancements and application of AI-powered video and image recognition solutions. The power of deep learning and machine learning advancements in these areas will surely create new business model innovation opportunities.
Ethics and privacy must the first thing business leaders think about - The opt-out model is not sufficient framework for businesses to grow market share and gain stakeholder trust. Zutavern advises law makers, business leaders and entrepreneurs to lead the effort with respect to defining ethical and privacy issues as a community.
To become a mathematical corporation you must begin thinking differently and then acting differently. You must be inclusive, collaborative and open-minded to diversity of talent and expertise. Leaders must graduate from gut instincts and mental models and begin embracing advanced analytics and artificial intelligence. Please watch our video conversation with Angela Zutavern (Twitter: @AngelaZutavern) to learn more about how to become a mathematical corporation.
The Morning Email
Wake up to the day's most important news.
- Dr Shreeram Lagoo: The sensitive rationalist always on the social beat - Hindustan Times - December 18th, 2019
- Shriram Lagoo (1927-2019): Acting legend and rationalist leaves behind a rich and complex legacy - Scroll.in - December 18th, 2019
- In Conversation with Howard Ross Social Justice Advocate - Thrive Global - December 18th, 2019
- The Varieties of Mystical Experience - Psychology Today - December 18th, 2019
- Take the lead - Daily Pioneer - December 18th, 2019
- Theatre and film actor Dr Shriram Lagoo passes away at 92 - The New Indian Express - December 18th, 2019
- From small town boy to significant contributor - The Age - December 18th, 2019
- From Brown's bigot to Brexit and Boris - Dhaka Tribune - December 18th, 2019
- Israeli Journalist who Interviewed the Rebbe Passed Away - Anash.org - Good News - December 18th, 2019
- EU Policies Dont Tackle Root Causes of Migration They Risk Aggravating Them - Inter Press Service - December 18th, 2019
- Analyzing the Conspiracist Firestorm over Notre Dame - New Ideal - October 16th, 2019
- frag/men/t: Artist Dan Gladden explores the queer posthuman form - OUTinPerth - August 25th, 2017
- West Nile virus found in human-biting mosquito, detected in 20 towns - New Haven Register - August 25th, 2017
- Hall Center for the Humanities events to explore the posthuman condition - KU Today - August 22nd, 2017
- Hundreds confess to eating human flesh in South Africa - New York Post - August 22nd, 2017
- US holds up military aid to Egypt over human rights concerns - Washington Post - August 22nd, 2017
- US Slaps Egypt on Human Rights Record and Ties to North Korea - New York Times - August 22nd, 2017
- Human remains found in caiman may belong to missing man - New York Post - August 20th, 2017
- Natalee Holloway's dad finds human remains in Aruba - New York Post - August 20th, 2017
- British scientists develop world's smallest surgical robot that can mimic human arm - Firstpost - August 20th, 2017
- Big Brother: Elena slams Josh as 'an irrational human' - EW.com - August 20th, 2017
- A Speedier Way to Catalog Human Cells (All 37 Trillion of Them) - New York Times - August 18th, 2017
- Human rights commission 'reset' - Bangkok Post - August 18th, 2017
- AirAsia trains crew to spot human traffickers - Bangkok Post - August 16th, 2017
- Portage gets first look at human rights proposal - Chicago Tribune - August 16th, 2017
- A mob of beachgoers wanted to play with a baby dolphin and wound up killing it - Washington Post - August 16th, 2017
- Cuomo proposes new hate crimes provisions post-Charlottesville - Albany Times Union - August 15th, 2017
- Cristiano Ronaldo shows he's human; Matic key for Man Utd; Neymar's start - ESPN FC (blog) - August 15th, 2017
- 'Brains linked to computers will kill our inner freedom' - Zizek to RT on biohacking & identity loss - RT - August 15th, 2017
- Human remains discovered in Fayette County - Tribune-Review - August 15th, 2017
- India @ 70: A floating post office, a human calculator and 8 other amazing facts - Hindustan Times - August 14th, 2017
- I Am Not a Human Pacifier | Nurshable - August 13th, 2017
- Obama Responds To Charlottesville Violence With A Quote From Nelson Mandela - HuffPost - August 13th, 2017
- Taiwan master offers handwriting with a human touch - South China Morning Post - August 13th, 2017
- First human case of West Nile virus reported in Carson City-Douglas area - KRNV My News 4 - August 13th, 2017
- We're one step closer to using pig organs in human transplants - CBS News - August 13th, 2017
- It's not just Venezuela. Elected governments don't necessarily defend democracy or protect human rights. - Washington Post - August 11th, 2017
- The Climate Post: Federal Science Report Finds Human Activity Does Influence Climate Change - HuffPost - August 11th, 2017
- Scientists Hit Breakthrough In Quest To Transplant Pig Organs Into Humans - HuffPost - August 11th, 2017
- +/- Human review Is this the future of artificial intelligence? Bring it on - The Guardian - August 10th, 2017
- Discovery of 13 million-year-old ape skull shows what human ancestors may have looked like - Washington Post - August 10th, 2017
- New UN report spotlights human trafficking into Thailand - Bangkok Post - August 10th, 2017
- Decoding the ancient logic of the Google Bro - Washington Post - August 9th, 2017
- Chinese man stopped at bus station with two human arms in bag - South China Morning Post - August 9th, 2017
- White House reviewing new report that finds strong link between climate change, human activity - Washington Post - August 8th, 2017
- Posthuman age - DAWN.com - August 8th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia must do something about its barbaric human rights practices - Washington Post - August 6th, 2017
- Human vs. machine contests (real or fictional) but involving ordinary humans - Washington Post - August 6th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia defends decision to execute 14 Saudi Shiites - Washington Post - August 6th, 2017
- Hikers form human chain to cross river after flash-flood - New York Post - August 4th, 2017
- The hidden environmental costs of dog and cat food - Washington Post - August 4th, 2017
- 'Obviously Human': Mother Posts Heart-Wrenching Photos of Baby She Lost at 14 Weeks - CBN News - August 4th, 2017
- Man charged with human trafficking in Howard County - The ... - Washington Post - August 3rd, 2017
- Scientists discover method to rejuvenate aging human cells - National Post - August 3rd, 2017
- First human embryo editing experiment in US 'corrects' gene for heart condition - Washington Post - August 3rd, 2017
- Can Human Beings Survive The Impending Climate Crisis? - HuffPost - August 3rd, 2017
- The milk of human kindness - The Jerusalem Post - August 3rd, 2017
- Some feared hackers and the devil. Others got microchipped. - Washington Post - August 2nd, 2017
- At The Human Library, The Books Are People And The Stories Are All True - 90.5 WESA - August 2nd, 2017
- YouTube says AI better than humans at removing extremist videos post-brand safety crisis - The Drum - August 1st, 2017
- More Jacksonville Businesses Might Have To Hang Human Trafficking Signs - WJCT NEWS - August 1st, 2017
- Tech companies fear repercussions from a new bill in the US Congress to combat human trafficking - Recode - August 1st, 2017
- Washington Post: Why human rights defenders love John McCain - Concord Monitor - July 31st, 2017
- Big Rigs, a Human Smuggling Mainstay, Often Become Rolling Traps - New York Times - July 31st, 2017
- Kelvin Benjamin's heartfelt Instagram post shows human side of football - ESPN (blog) - July 29th, 2017
- Fellow humans, don't panic yet - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - July 29th, 2017
- Why human rights defenders love John McCain - The Washington Post - Washington Post - July 29th, 2017
- If you could 'design' your own child, would you? - Washington Post - July 29th, 2017
- Maybe the AI dystopia is already here - Washington Post - July 29th, 2017
- Inevitably Posthuman? - The Weekly Standard - July 28th, 2017
- Trump's speech encouraging police to be 'rough,' annotated - Washington Post - July 28th, 2017
- 'First human cyborg' sucker-punched in subway station - New York Post - July 28th, 2017
- 10 People Dead In 'Human Trafficking' Case In Texas Parking Lot - HuffPost - July 28th, 2017
- Scientists genetically modify a human embryo for the first time - New York Post - July 27th, 2017
- Scientists are building DNA from scratch to redesign life - New York Post - July 27th, 2017
- Human Ken Doll Rodrigo Alves is 'waiting for his new chin to arrive in the post' ahead of 35k surgery binge - The Sun - July 26th, 2017
- Investigator: Driver part of larger human-smuggling scheme - The Denver Post - July 26th, 2017
- Plummeting Sperm Counts Could Result In Human Extinction, Doctor Warns - HuffPost UK - July 26th, 2017
- Company whose trailer was used in human smuggling case has history of legal problems - Washington Post - July 26th, 2017
- Here's a list of people Trump has fired or threatened to fire - Washington Post - July 26th, 2017