Artificial intelligence is disrupting industries across the board. In healthcare, AI technologies are outperforming humans in diagnosing disease--particularly when it comes to spotting malignant tumors. In marketing, artificial intelligence analyzes users behavioral patterns, enabling businesses to target customers with highly personalized content
AI could disrupt the design industry in a variety of ways.
The design industry is yet another area where AI is making huge strides. Just recently, an AI tool pulled from a database of dozens of patterns and colors to create 7 million unique packaging designs for Nutella.
Lets take a closer look at how artificial intelligence is shaping the future of design.
In addition to generating its own designsas it did for NutellaAI is the driving force behind modern web design. Artificial design intelligence (ADI) systems are democratizing website development, generating functional, attractive websites from the bottom up.
Wix and Bookmark both offer AI platforms that allow websites to intelligently design themselves; the customer is responsible for choosing the sites name and answering a few quick questions, but AI will do the rest. Designers and developers no longer need to build websites completely from scratch, and they can create attractive sites regardless of their level of experience with web building or design.
Quality assurance (QA) is an essential area of concern to companies. If the public thinks a company or service does not care about keeping its quality level high, theyll likely do business elsewhere. AI for quality assurance can help. Read here
In addition to designing the face of web pages, AI builds the image of a brand. Artificial intelligence tools like Tailor Brands can gather data from around the web to design customized logos in seconds, requiring from the user nothing but their businesss name and a quick description of their company or industry. In this sense, AI has made brand design more accessible for emerging entrepreneurs with small budgets and little to no design experience.
Designers working with AI can create designs faster and more cheaply. Artificial intelligence tools can analyze vast amounts of data within minutes and suggest designs accordingly. Airbnb is already taking advantage of this function, feeding wireframe sketches to AI machines which, in turn, can generate complete images. This capability can be used to create several different prototype designs that can then be A/B tested with users.
Domos VP Data and Curiosity Ben Schein discusses integrating AI into your company practices without comprimising agility, speed or control. Read here
AI saves designers time by automating mundane tasks, allowing designers to instead focus on higher-level work. Rather than designing banners and product labels in multiple languages, for instance, designers can outsource the work to AI. The designers, in turn, can approve or reject the suggested graphics, saving them enormous amounts of time.
Artificial intelligence not only designs two-dimensional graphics like web pages and branding materials, but it also builds three-dimensional graphics. AI is being used to build three-dimensional architectural models, facilitating the work of architects by enabling them to create a detailed, lifelike blueprint of their building plan. AI is also being used to build worlds for virtual reality, artificial reality, and mixed reality. Artificial intelligence tools not only design the graphics for these worlds, but they also react intelligently to user interaction and behavior.
Some people worry that, with the advanced design capabilities of artificial intelligence, AI will eventually replace human designers altogether. The reality, however, is that AI will play a more complex and nuanced role in design. Artificial intelligence tools will facilitate the work of human designers while remaining a tooland not a replacementfor human designers.
Think about it: standard machines dont replace workers altogether but, instead, automate basic tasks and help workers operate more efficiently. Artificial intelligence programs will operate the same way, automating mundane tasks and even making original suggestions while still requiring a human designer to oversee the process and make the most important decisions.
Jens Krueger, chief technology officer, Workday, explains why a culture of inclusion, innovation and upskilling is crucial in order to reap the benefits of automation. Read here
So while AI isnt going to replace designers, it is going to replace something else: traditional methods of doing business. AI is changing the way people lead, manage, and make decisions.
In the world of design, this means using market data to make informed hypotheses about which designs work best for business. AI platforms can analyze which colors, shapes, typefaces, and other visuals perform best across different industries. That way, rather than coming up with a design based on limited research and intuition, human designers can use artificial intelligence tools to make design choices based on real, hard data.
In the next few years, designers will increasingly harness the power of artificial intelligence to inform their design decisions. AI tools wont replace designers but, on the contrary, will facilitate designers work so they can focus on bigger picture tasks. Artificial intelligence is already strong across the design industry, generating graphics for websites, brands, virtual reality and more. As AI becomes stronger, it wont just show us what we already know; itll also present us with novel ideas and open new avenues for thought.
Written by Tailor Brands, an automated, AI-powered logo design and branding platform.
- Finland is making its online AI crash course free to the world - The Verge - December 18th, 2019
- AI, 5G, 'ambient computing': What to expect in tech in 2020 and beyond - USA TODAY - December 18th, 2019
- Implications and practical applications for AI and ML in embedded systems - SDTimes.com - December 18th, 2019
- Latest AI That Learns On-The-Fly Is Raising Serious Concerns, Including For Self-Driving Cars - Forbes - December 18th, 2019
- 8 biggest AI trends of 2020, according to experts - The Next Web - December 18th, 2019
- 3 Ways AI Is Changing The Game For Recruiters And Talent Managers - Forbes - December 18th, 2019
- Will AI Take Your Jobor Make It Better? - WIRED - December 18th, 2019
- The World Is On The Cusp Of Revolutionizing Many Sectors Through AI and Data Analytics: Yogesh Mudras - Entrepreneur - December 18th, 2019
- The future of AIs impact on society - MIT Technology Review - December 18th, 2019
- AI super resolution lets you zoom and enhance in Pixelmator Pro - The Verge - December 18th, 2019
- Quips is an AI to help ALS patients speak with their own voice - Engadget - December 18th, 2019
- AI and the future of work: becoming cyborgs! - Ericsson - December 18th, 2019
- Infinite text adventure AI Dungeon is now available on iOS and Android - The Verge - December 18th, 2019
- French startup Iktos and pharma firm Almirall announce research collaboration in AI for new drug design - Healthcare IT News - December 18th, 2019
- Paige Raises $45M to Expand AI-Native Digital Pathology Ecosystem to Accelerate Biomarker Discovery - HIT Consultant - December 18th, 2019
- Oto snags $5.3M seed to use AI to understand voice intonation - TechCrunch - December 18th, 2019
- Washington Must Bet Big on AI or Lose Its Global Clout - WIRED - December 18th, 2019
- Communication in the Age of AI - The Next Web - December 18th, 2019
- Whats the best way to measure the smarts of AI systems? Researchers are developing an IQ test - GeekWire - December 18th, 2019
- 7 tips to get your resume past the robots reading it - CNBC - December 18th, 2019
- NuerIPS 2019: China's WeBank, Mila, and Tencent Partner on AI Federated Learning to Protect Data Privacy - Business Wire - December 18th, 2019
- Researchers were about to solve AI's black box problem, then the lawyers got involved - The Next Web - December 18th, 2019
- Baidu, Samsung Electronics Announce Production of its Cloud-to-Edge AI Accelerator to Start Early 2020 - HPCwire - December 18th, 2019
- Tech connection: To reach patients, pharma adds AI, machine learning and more to its digital toolbox - FiercePharma - December 18th, 2019
- Introducing AI to the Back OfficeDoes the Tech Measure Up to the Hype? - www.waterstechnology.com - December 18th, 2019
- Instagram Touts Anti-Bullying AI Created to Curb Offensive Speech - NewsBusters - December 18th, 2019
- AI has bested chess and Go, but it struggles to find a diamond in Minecraft - The Verge - December 13th, 2019
- AI for Peace - War on the Rocks - December 13th, 2019
- An AI conference once known for blowout parties is finally growing up - MIT Technology Review - December 13th, 2019
- 12 Everyday Applications Of Artificial Intelligence Many People Aren't Aware Of - Forbes - December 13th, 2019
- Why AI Leads Us to Think Less, Act Impulsively - PCMag.com - December 13th, 2019
- The applications of AI in eCommerce - ITProPortal - December 13th, 2019
- The Bot Decade: How AI Took Over Our Lives in the 2010s - Popular Mechanics - December 13th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Isn't an Arms Race With China, and the United States Shouldn't Treat It Like One - Foreign Policy - December 13th, 2019
- Will AI Be Capable Of Replacing Insurance Claims Adjusters? - Forbes - December 13th, 2019
- AI expert calls for end to UK use of racially biased algorithms - The Guardian - December 13th, 2019
- Global Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Agriculture Market Study (2019-2024): Set to Exhibit a CAGR of 28.38% During the Forecast Period -... - December 13th, 2019
- Tech experts agree its time to regulate artificial intelligence if only it were that simple - GeekWire - December 13th, 2019
- The Global AI in the Drug Discovery Market is Projected to Reach USD 1,434 Million by 2024 From USD 259 Million in 2019, at a CAGR of 40.8% During the... - December 13th, 2019
- Don't put your AI initiatives at risk: Test your AI-infused applications! - ZDNet - December 13th, 2019
- AI in Agriculture | Worldwide Markets to 2024: Favorable Government Initiatives & Rise in Adoption of SaaS Business Model Present Opportunities -... - December 13th, 2019
- DeepMind proposes novel way to train safe reinforcement learning AI - VentureBeat - December 13th, 2019
- AI Software That Analyzes Human Emotions Criticized By Researchers - Mashable India - December 13th, 2019
- How Jeff Bezos personally helped the University of Washington recruit its AI superstars - GeekWire - December 13th, 2019
- Waymo enters the UK with acquisition of self-driving AI startup Latent Logic - Engadget - December 13th, 2019
- Observe.AI Raises $26 Million to the $300 Billion Voice Customer Service - AiThority - December 13th, 2019
- Confluence Of AI On The Edge And Computer Vision In The Wood Pallets Industry - Forbes - December 13th, 2019
- Why We Need More Women in STEM and How AI Could Help Us Get There - Thehour.com - December 13th, 2019
- From search to translation, AI research is improving Microsoft products - Microsoft - December 13th, 2019
- Qualitest Acquires AI and ML Company AlgoTrace to Expand Its Offering - AiThority - December 13th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence as Security Solution and Weaponization by Hackers - CISO MAG - December 13th, 2019
- Five ways AI changed the workplace in 2019 - Human Resources Director - December 13th, 2019
- AI expert calls for end to use of 'racially biased' algorithms - www.computing.co.uk - December 13th, 2019
- Do Auxuman's AI Singers Herald the Shape of Music to Come? - The Nation - December 13th, 2019
- IBM GRAF Builds on The Weather Companys AI and Cloud Capabilities - Forbes - December 13th, 2019
- Why you need to pay more attention to combatting AI bias - TechRepublic - December 3rd, 2019
- Maximize The Promise And Minimize The Perils Of Artificial Intelligence (AI) - Forbes - December 3rd, 2019
- Nvidia will dominate this crucial part of the AI market for at least the next two years - MarketWatch - December 3rd, 2019
- How Women Can Win in the Age of AI - Yahoo News - December 3rd, 2019
- Will AI liberate the IoT's potential? - Smart Industry - December 3rd, 2019
- AI's Impact in 2020: 3 Trends to Watch - TDWI - December 3rd, 2019
- Andrew Yang Is Right The US Is Losing The AI Arms Race - Forbes - December 3rd, 2019
- Nvidia Moves Clara Healthcare AI To The Edge - The Next Platform - December 3rd, 2019
- TEACHER VOICE: AI in school, better than the ballpoint pen? - The Hechinger Report - December 3rd, 2019
- Keeping Pace In A Fast-Moving AI Space - The Next Platform - December 3rd, 2019
- Three Strategies for Marketers to Embrace AI Now to Thrive in the Future - MarTech Series - December 3rd, 2019
- The AI Frontier of Economic Theory | by Thomas J. Sargent - Project Syndicate - December 3rd, 2019
- SPONSORED: Huawei on how it has boosted its AI development with new innovation - www.channelweb.co.uk - December 3rd, 2019
- IoT & AI Changing the Face of Technology, Data Centers as 2020 Nears - Data Center Frontier - December 3rd, 2019
- Exclusive: government blocks full publication of AI review - NS Tech - December 3rd, 2019
- Drones and AI adoption grows as developers buy into proptech - The Globe and Mail - December 3rd, 2019
- Artificial intelligence use 'must be transparent and accountable' - The Irish News - December 3rd, 2019
- UK Proportion of women in AI and data jobs hits 20-year low, research finds - Staffing Industry Analysts - December 3rd, 2019
- How To Use RPA And AI For Project Management - Forbes - December 3rd, 2019
- Musical keyboards and AI on Kubernetes: AWS fires off first salvo of re:Invent updates - SiliconANGLE - December 3rd, 2019
- MRP Prelytix Is Designed To Power ABM Campaigns With Real-Time AI - Demand Gen Report - December 3rd, 2019
- Arterys launches the first viewer-based AI Marketplace for medical imaging, fueling open innovation - PRNewswire - December 3rd, 2019
- Privacy Concerns About Training AI On Medical Data, Nvidia Thinks Clara is the Answer - Computer Business Review - December 3rd, 2019
- Minimize Costs and Complexity With AI-Powered Identity Management - HealthITSecurity.com - December 3rd, 2019
- Need a New Topic for Thanksgiving Dinner? How to Explain Artificial Intelligence (AI) to Anyone...and Make it Fun! - Forbes - November 30th, 2019