Less than a week from the College Football Playoff National Championship, Matt Dickmann returned a phone call from an out-of-town writer. Dickmann has answered a ton of these calls over the last 3 years. As Justin Fields high school coach, it comes with the territory. Its different now than it was when Fields was the decorated 5-star Georgia recruit at Harrison High School (Ga.). Fields dad, Pablo, handled any and all media requests that came their way once the season started. Dickmann used to tell media members looking for a Fields scoop that he wouldnt talk about his quarterbacks recruitment, but that hed be happy to talk all things Harrison football.
On this day, though, Dickmann is ready to talk all things Fields. Like, hes so ready that before the writer can get out the first question, Dickmann interjects when he hears a claim that Fields success at Ohio State was something that everyone saw coming.
Oh no. If you ask me, it caught a lot of people by surprise. I remember what all of those people were saying a couple years ago. I remember what they were saying on College Football Live, Dickmann told SDS. I was saying at that time, They are all gonna eat their words.
Two years after Fields well-documented transfer from Georgia to Ohio State, hes right where he wants to be 1 victory from college football immortality.
While Dickmann didnt have any say in Fields switch after his freshman season in Athens, he couldnt have drawn it up any better. Go figure that Dickmann grew up in Ohio and hes a lifetime Ohio State fan. Dickmann says he wouldve been happy to watch Fields play anywhere, as long as it wasnt the team up north.
COVID prevented Dickman from being a semi-regular at Ohio State games and practices in 2020. Nonetheless, his memories of Fields dominance as a prized Peach State recruit are clear as day.
We were playing Sprayberry (Ga.) one time, and he had a guy coming dead at him. He spun out of it and then he continued to go on and break I dont even remember how many tackles but it was silly, Dickmann said.
Dickmann can tell all sorts of Fields stories. By the time plays like that became a regular occurrence during Fields senior year, he was known as one of the top recruits ever in the 247sports ranking era. His closed-lipped recruitment he flipped from Penn State to Georgia didnt stop the regular appearances from college coaches from flocking to the sidelines to see Harrison play.
Theres an oft-used GIF of Kirby Smart was the reaction from a play that Dickmann recalls well. After Smart showed up in a helicopter to watch his 2018 quarterback commit take on Dalton High School, he got a front-row seat to watch Fields avoid a sack, roll to the right and throw to the other side of the field for a touchdown.
That gave us this internet gold:
That was also the same game in which Fields suffered a season-ending broken finger. The last play of his high school career came when he scrambled and spun into a Dalton linebacker.
He ran off Im like, Son of a gun. I hope that thing is just dislocated. But nope, it was broken, Dickmann said. Whats funny is in 34 years of coaching, Ive never had anybody break their finger. (Fields) broke his finger twice, once on the left hand and once on the right. Thats what happens when youre trying to make something extra happen.
The irony of that injury was that against Clemson in the Sugar Bowl, Fields got hurt again by spinning into a linebacker and taking an awkward hit.
Maybe Ill have to talk to him about that, Dickmann said with a laugh. No more spinning.
When Fields was at Harrison, Dickmann made the decision to abandon the offensive comfort zone he had developed over the course of decades. His Wing-T based offense added modern spread concepts in Fields sophomore year. The first time we put in power-read, Dickmann said, he went 60 yards to the house.
In Fields junior year, Dickmann went all in with the run-pass option system. It was more shotgun, more spread than anything that Dickmann had ever run. Fields, a 4.0 student, got the concepts down and took off with it.
He truly was a dual threat in Dickmanns tweaked offense. It didnt have a bad play design because of Fields ability to make something out of nothing. When teams like Allatoona loaded the box and blitzed Fields, he still found ways to pick up first downs with his legs or hit an open receiver. Fields would have stat lines like he did his senior year against Sprayberry, who watched him rack up 7 touchdowns with 16.4 yards per pass and 16.9 yards per rush.
When Harrison faced North Cobb as a senior, Fields had 208 rushing yards and 4 touchdowns in a 45-42 loss. Fields tried to take the blame for the loss because he was stripped on a play that led to a North Cobb touchdown. Dickmann wasnt having any of it, though. He had to remind Fields that letting up 45 points fueled that loss.
Justin Fields doesnt get rattled, Dickmann said. The only thing he does do is hes very critical of his play.
Thats why Dickmann said even when Fields has a bad game like he did against Northwestern in the Big Ten Championship, it doesnt happen in consecutive weeks.
Nothing surprised Dickmann about Fields career day against Clemson. It was the culmination of 2 years spent mastering Ryan Days offense, which was different than a Georgia offense that had much less emphasis on the downfield passing game. As Jake Fromms backup and occasional change-of-pace quarterback, only 2 of Fields completions in Athens went for more than 25 yards (one of which was hitting a tight end on the seam on Cover-3).
I just dont know that Justin ever felt there was a package or a plan for him (at Georgia), Dickmann said. If theres no plan or package, obviously its tough for someone whos that talented who wants to compete. I just dont think he felt he was getting that opportunity.
On Monday, Fields has an opportunity to close his college career in much better fashion than the anticlimactic finish to his high school career at Harrison. With limited capacity for the national championship, Fields will certainly have a group of supporters rooting him on back in his home state, especially at Harrison.
These last 2 years have been special for Dickmann. Besides the fact that he watched Fields star for his beloved Buckeyes, Dickmann led Harrison to its first state title in 2019. He went out on top and called it a career after 34 years. Theres still part of him that wonders how things couldve played out in the state playoffs had Fields not broken his finger in 2017, but Dickmann has no problem filling a half-hour phone conversation with the things he did watch the generational quarterback do.
As Dickmann closes the book on yet another phone interview centered around Fields, he answers 1 more question.
Any special plans to watch the national championship on Monday night?
Nah, Dickmann said. Just gonna be here at home. Probably gonna be a nervous wreck, as always.
See the article here:
- Shadow and Bone Recap: Now Kiss - Vulture - April 29th, 2021
- Misinformation will prevail | Opinion | dailyitem.com - Sunbury Daily Item - April 29th, 2021
- TFT Set 5 Reckoning Shadow items: Updated stats and best-in-slot - Dot Esports - April 29th, 2021
- Dying for immortality, this artist wants you to dispose of her body - Sydney Morning Herald - April 23rd, 2021
- Opening the Gate to Immortality: 25 years of Satyricon's Nemesis Divina - Invisible Oranges - April 23rd, 2021
- How (not) to be a god The Bowdoin Orient - The Bowdoin Orient - April 23rd, 2021
- The X-Men Are Losing Their Soul, and Nightcrawler Wants to Find It - Gizmodo - April 23rd, 2021
- Artificial Hearts: Could They Be the Key to Immortality? - Interesting Engineering - April 21st, 2021
- New study sheds light on the interplay between belief in an afterlife and secular-symbolic avenues to immortality - PsyPost - April 21st, 2021
- Messages of Faith: Resurrection is the answer for immortality - Daily Record-News - April 17th, 2021
- Exploring immortality and the value of life - Bangkok Post - Bangkok Post - April 17th, 2021
- Overwatch players are furious at the worst Experimental patch yet - Dexerto - April 17th, 2021
- 'Tina': The Ultimate Thesis of Why She Deserves Rock Hall Immortality - wmgk.com - March 31st, 2021
- Three top contenders in the fray for Indian Derby - The Hindu - March 31st, 2021
- Immortal Jellyfish, Radiated Tortoise, and More: 11 Ancient Animals Older Than Every Human on Earth - Nature World News - March 31st, 2021
- Keanu Reeves' BRZRKR Can Show Why He'd Be The Perfect MCU Wolverine - Screen Rant - March 31st, 2021
- Daily Recco, March 17: The People in the Trees, battling immortality and immorality - DailyO - March 21st, 2021
- Hulk Crushes the Avengers in Jaw-Dropping New Alex Ross Cover Art - Screen Rant - March 21st, 2021
- Unheard-of//Ensemble probes inner space in Messiaen's Quartet and new works - South Florida Classical Review - March 21st, 2021
- Katrick: The color green and its many meanings - The Newark Advocate - March 21st, 2021
- 10 Comic Book Superpowers That Are Highly Overrated | CBR - CBR - March 21st, 2021
- Millennials on Exhibit at the Russian Museum - The Moscow Times - March 21st, 2021
- Star Wars: How the Great Sith War Changed the Galaxy | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 21st, 2021
- Wonder Woman: 10 Facts About The Amazons You Need To Know | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 22nd, 2021
- How to achieve immortality and have a food named after you - The Takeout - February 21st, 2021
- How rejecting Inter and Lyon set Andre-Pierre Gignac on his way to Tigres immortality - Squawka - February 10th, 2021
- Marvel Confirms Thanos Can't Be Killed, But Not For The Reason You Think - Screen Rant - February 10th, 2021
- Why Bayern Munich's opponents, Tigres, are taking the Club World Cup seriously, even if Europe is not - DW (English) - February 10th, 2021
- 'The Bitter Comes With The Sweet': Without Death, There Is No Life - WBUR - February 10th, 2021
- Disney Pixar's Soul: how the moviemakers took Plato's view of existence and added a modern twist - The Conversation UK - February 10th, 2021
- Life after death: Woman 'engulfed by light and God' in afterlife vision - Daily Express - February 10th, 2021
- Charles Woodson's Words Prove Just How Special The Hall Of Fame Is - Wolverine Maven - February 10th, 2021
- Cicely, Cloris, and two paths to Hollywood immortality - The Boston Globe - February 2nd, 2021
- Regular Exercise and Lifting Weights Might Be the Key to Immortality - The Great Courses Daily News - February 2nd, 2021
- Roblox CEO Dave Baszucki believes users will create the metaverse - VentureBeat - January 29th, 2021
- Does Matthew Die in 'A Discovery of Witches'? The Vampire's Fate Revealed! - Distractify - January 29th, 2021
- Cyberpunk 2077's Development Was Shorter Than Anyone Realized - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 19th, 2021
- How Star Wars Could Bring Back A Weapon More Powerful Than The Darksaber - Screen Rant - January 19th, 2021
- How to Fix Some of the Bachelors Thorny Logistical Issues - The Ringer - January 19th, 2021
- JUANITA FLOYD: What testimony will you leave behind? - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - January 17th, 2021
- The Kansas City Chiefs can secure place among NFLs all-time greatest teams - Arrowhead Addict - January 17th, 2021
- Kumbh Mela 2021 dates: Everything you need to know - The Indian Express - January 17th, 2021
- WandaVision Featurette May Be Hiding Another Major Avenger | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 17th, 2021
- What happened to Jack on Macgyver? Here is the characters fate in the latest episode - Republic World - January 17th, 2021
- Essenes in Judaean Society: the sectarians of the Dead Sea Scrolls - OUPblog - January 17th, 2021
- 'I'm Thinking of Ending Things' and 'Ham on Rye': Odds and ends - People's World - January 17th, 2021
- Lord Of The Rings: 10 Things About Arwen and Aragorn's Relationship That Make No Sense - Screen Rant - January 17th, 2021
- CRYPTOSIS Take You Behind The Scenes Of "Prospect Of Immortality" Music Video - bravewords.com - January 9th, 2021
- Holocaust Memorial Center hosts 'Soap Myth' online reading and discussion - The Detroit News - January 9th, 2021
- Inverted tulips, juniper trees added to Iran's national heritage list - Tehran Times - January 9th, 2021
- How are former Yankees doing in the Hall of Fame voting? - Empire Sports Media - January 9th, 2021
- how is the calendar and when are the long weekends in the year - Explica - January 9th, 2021
- Unexpected discovery about stem cell immortality study - News - The University of Sydney - November 29th, 2020
- Dessie Hutchinson's journey from Brighton to the brink of hurling immortality with Waterford - Independent.ie - November 29th, 2020
- MLB Hall of Fame: Breaking down the 2021 ballot - Call to the Pen - November 29th, 2020
- Mythical Beasts that Simply Scream Nanjing - The Nanjinger - November 29th, 2020
- Maradonas divine goal and worthy absurdities - Mint - November 29th, 2020
- Exploring the Last Green Valley: Beauty found in December evergreens - Norwich Bulletin - November 29th, 2020
- Amazing Cultivation Simulator blends Taoist philosophy with Dwarf Fortress - PCGamesN - November 29th, 2020
- The myth of the apple - Evangelical Focus - November 29th, 2020
- Diego Maradona did 'everything better and bigger, but fell more dangerously and darker' - WDJT - November 29th, 2020
- Maradona flew and fell. It is why we loved him - The Straits Times - November 29th, 2020
- #ComicBytes: The comic book origin of Nick Fury | NewsBytes - NewsBytes - November 29th, 2020
- Never Seen Before Tolkien Works Will Be Published In 2021 - Unreserved Media - November 29th, 2020
- New Lord Of The Rings Book Announced, Will Reveal Who Can Grow Beards - GameSpot - November 29th, 2020
- Reminiscing grandmother during days of coronavirus - Hurriyet Daily News - November 29th, 2020
- Sean Connery: Bond and superstar - Frontline - November 29th, 2020
- Divock Origi has gone from unstoppable to invisible - Rousing the Kop - November 29th, 2020
- A Year of Free Comics: Immortality isnt all that it seems in LIVE FOREVER - Comics Beat - August 26th, 2020
- Under Ben Bulben: Neymar And A Saga Of Resurrection And Immortality - World Football Index - August 26th, 2020
- Rick and Morty plot hole: Rick's ride on the Whirly Dirly creates huge immortality blunder - Express - August 26th, 2020
- Sleeps With Monsters: Into the Woods With Emily Tesh and Carrie Vaughn - tor.com - August 26th, 2020
- Emily Dickinson is the unlikely hero of our time - Fairfield Citizen - August 26th, 2020
- Doom Patrol Leaves the Fate of the Whole Team Up in the Air | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 26th, 2020
- Parenting in a pandemic? Your teen is counting on you more than ever - Your Valley - August 26th, 2020
- ALLEN IVERSON PAYS TRIBUTE TO KOBE Greatness needs company, and we needed each other. - Basketball Network - August 26th, 2020
- Lovecraft Country: Why the Sons of Adams Ritual Failed | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 26th, 2020
- Lord of the Rings: 10 Things That Make No Sense About Orcs - Screen Rant - August 26th, 2020
- Hakuho may be on path to becoming great stablemaster if latest recruit pans out - The Japan Times - August 26th, 2020
- The Unbelievable True Story Of How The Memphis Pyramid Became A Bass Pro Shops - Forbes - August 26th, 2020