NEW DELHI :India woke up on Thursday to public expressions of thanks from the presidents of the US and Brazil for quick shipments of an anti-malaria drug, which is being tested as a possible treatment for covid-19, as infections from the novel coronavirus inched towards the 1.5-million mark worldwide and the death toll neared 90,000.
The messages from presidents Donald Trump of the US and Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil came as New Delhi prepared to ship consignments of the drug to some other countries badly hit by the pandemic like Britain, Spain, the UK and Germany.
New Delhi is also planning to dispatch medicines to some of its immediate neighbours, and others, such as Mauritius, Seychelles and Bahrain, in Indias extended neighbourhood, a person familiar with the developments said.
Indias supplies of medicines, especially #HCQ (hydroxychloroquine) and #paracetamol to several countries, including USA, Israel, Gulf, neighbours, etc confirm our role as first provider and help in global fight against #COVID19," Sanjay Bhattacharyya, secretary in Indias foreign ministry said in a Twitter post on Thursday.
Analysts said Indias so-called medical diplomacy" by first lifting an exports ban on hydroxychloroquine, or HCQ, in response to requests from several nations will burnish its credentials as a responsible citizen of the world" at a time when China is facing flak over its alleged lack of transparency over the covid-19 outbreak. The disease first surfaced in China in December. The UN Security Council is to meet later Thursday for a special briefing on the pandemic.
Extraordinary times require even closer cooperation between friends. Thank you India and the Indian people for the decision on HCQ. Will not be forgotten! Thank you Prime Minister @NarendraModi for your strong leadership in helping not just India, but humanity, in this fight!" Trump said in a Twitter post late Wednesday.
Bolsonaro, on his part, thanked India for the timely assistance" in an address to the nation made late Wednesday.
As a result of my direct conversation with the Prime Minister of India, we will receive, until Saturday, raw material to continue producing hydroxychloroquine, so that we can treat covid-19 patients, as well as malaria, lupus and arthritis," Bolsonaro said.
I thank Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Indian people for this very timely assistance to the Brazilian people," he added.
Both leaders had telephonic talks with Modi on Saturday.
Former foreign secretary Lalit Mansingh said Indias quick response to Trumps request of releasing the HCQ would score points in its favour given that US drug companies have been critical of India producing low-cost generic drugs in the past and New Delhi capping costs of critical medicines and equipment manufactured by the multinational firms in the past.
Mansingh noted that India had previously fallen foul of the large pharmaceutical companies for alleged intellectual property rights (IPR) violations as they produced generic drugs to treat HIV-AIDS.
Read the original post:
- Commercial flights to be welcomed to Seychelles in August 2020 - Travel Daily News International - July 12th, 2020
- How the Seychelles Islands came to have its name - Face2Face Africa - July 12th, 2020
- British family moving to Africa's smallest island to save its coral reefs - Yahoo News Canada - July 5th, 2020
- British Family Of Four Relocates To Tiny Island In The Seychelles - Scuba Diver Magazine - July 5th, 2020
- Cabinet Business - 1 July 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 5th, 2020
- Family Sells Their London Home to Move to the Smallest African Country and Save Its Coral Reefs - Good News Network - July 5th, 2020
- The tuna fleet, stranded in the Seychelles by the Covid-19 NEWS WIRE FAX - Wire News Fax - July 5th, 2020
- Bottled Water Equipment market is expected to pick up in healthy CAGR by 2020-2026 Top companies | Dow Chemical, Seychelles, Velocity, Norland, Liquid... - July 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Situation update for the WHO African Region, External Situation Report 18 (01 July 2020) - South Africa - ReliefWeb - July 5th, 2020
- UK allows quarantine-free entry for 60 nations except India and the USA - Happytrips - July 5th, 2020
- the Top 10 Safe Havens for Businesses in Africa and What They Offer - Technext - July 5th, 2020
- Holiday goals: You can now hire this incredible private island in the Seychelles - Livingetc.com - June 20th, 2020
- Survivor Whispers The Game 19: Seychelles Island: Ring of Power Recap Podcast #3 - BlogTalkRadio - June 20th, 2020
- Address by President Danny Faure on the occasion of Constitution Day 2020 18 June 2020 - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - June 20th, 2020
- Which countries are open for summer travel? Here's the list - CNBC - June 20th, 2020
- COMESA region expected to grow at 0.6% in 2020 - Uganda - June 20th, 2020
- Variety Cruises Will Start Cruising in July - Cruise Industry News - June 20th, 2020
- President Faure chairs meeting with multisectoral representatives - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - June 17th, 2020
- Seychelles: paradise in the Outer Islands - BirdGuides - May 11th, 2020
- Conservation in crisis: ecotourism collapse threatens communities and wildlife - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Cabinet Business - Wednesday 06th May 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - May 11th, 2020
- Follow-up meeting on additional restrictions of movement in Seychelles - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - April 18th, 2020
- 3 African leaders: The smart step to fight the virus - Action News Now - April 18th, 2020
- The Seas as the Ultimate Coronavirus Isolation? Not. So. Fast. - The New York Times - April 18th, 2020
- This tiny island nation is setting the global standard for ocean conservation - AOL - April 9th, 2020
- Seychelles Map / Geography of Seychelles / Map of ... - March 24th, 2020
- Why an Indian ocean deep sea mission will help the Maldives and Seychelles manage their oceans - The Conversation Africa - March 24th, 2020
- Seychelles Tourism Board CEO: Stay home and travel later - we are all in this together! - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - March 24th, 2020
- President Faure chairs first Joint Command Chain meeting - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - March 24th, 2020
- Booming business of the booty-ful nut of the Seychelles - FRANCE 24 - February 27th, 2020
- PEACE cable to land in Seychelles in July 2021 - Telecompaper - February 27th, 2020
- Binance Office Situated 'on Mars', Seychelles, Cayman Islands or Really in... - Coinspeaker - February 27th, 2020
- President Danny Faure receives Vice-Chancellor of University of Botswana - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - February 27th, 2020
- President Faure meets with members of the Seychelles Health Emergency Operation Centre - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - February 1st, 2020
- Seychelles-based MERJ Exchange is the First Digital Assets Exchange Offering Investment Access to Rare and Elite Supercars - bitcoinke.io - February 1st, 2020
- PPresident Faure receives the Rotary International District Governor to Seychelles - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - February 1st, 2020
- President Faure holds meeting with all Seychelles Ambassadors - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - December 22nd, 2019
- Paradise found: incredible and rare encounters to enjoy in the Seychelles - The National - October 20th, 2019
- 7 things to do in Seychelles this summer - IOL - October 20th, 2019
- Madhuri Dixit Celebrates 20th Anniversary in Seychelles with Forever Soulmate Shriram Nene - News18 - October 20th, 2019
- Madhuri Dixit shares pictures from her vacation in Seychelles with her husband and kids - Times of India - October 20th, 2019
- View: African islands in the Indian Ocean- Looking beyond Delhis strategic blindness - Economic Times - October 20th, 2019
- New EU Ambassador to Seychelles accredited - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - October 11th, 2019
- Club Med to Open First Resort in the Seychelles - RusTourismNews - October 11th, 2019
- President Faure receives Assistant Secretary of the United States Treasury - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - October 11th, 2019
- The Top 10: Parliament buildings - The Independent - October 11th, 2019
- She Just Became The First Black Woman to Visit Every Country In The World - Because of Them We Can - October 11th, 2019
- Seychelles-based Crypto-Futures Exchange, CoinFlex, Starts Issuing the First Ever Libra Futures - bitcoinke.io - October 11th, 2019
- A Shout Out to All the Investors to Visit the World Property and Investment Show in Mumbai - Times of India - October 11th, 2019
- Let us back Seychelles - The People Online - August 25th, 2017
- 5 facts about Seychelles you probably did not know - Independent Online - August 25th, 2017
- Seychelles - a socio-economic snapshot - eTurboNews (eTN) - eTurboNews - August 20th, 2017
- Seychelles Constance Ephelia voted region's leading green resort ... - eTurboNews - August 20th, 2017
- Intimacy, adventure and more at Seychelles properties - Travel Weekly - August 18th, 2017
- Air Seychelles launches new scenic flights offering a bird's eye view of Mah's breath-taking spots - eTurboNews - August 18th, 2017
- Seychelles' Tourism Minister pleased with level of standard following visit to small and large accommodations on La ... - eTurboNews - August 16th, 2017
- Praslin's Islander Hotel: Another Seychelles' tourism establishment rated highly by HolidayCheck in 2017 - eTurboNews - August 16th, 2017
- Pampering in paradise for parents-to-be: Four Seasons Resort Seychelles offers new babymoon experience - eTurboNews - August 15th, 2017
- First World Bank Country Diagnostic on Seychelles - eTurboNews - August 14th, 2017
- PM for increased exchanges between legislatures of India, Seychelles - Moneycontrol.com - August 13th, 2017
- When an Air India Plane was Hijacked by Mercenaries in Seychelles - The Wire - August 10th, 2017
- Durban mercenary involved in Seychelles coup dies before book about his life is published - News24 - August 9th, 2017
- Dark clouds over Air Seychelles: Former tourism minister concerned - eTurboNews - August 6th, 2017
- Seychelles' Cousine island offers new excursion for nature lovers - eTurboNews - August 5th, 2017
- Seychelles as wedding and honeymoon destination & Air Seychelles make final cut - eTurboNews - August 4th, 2017
- Seychelles restaurants win accolades at World Luxury Restaurant Awards - eTurboNews - August 3rd, 2017
- Seychelles Tourism saddened as Air Seychelles adjusts European network, remains confident in maintaining visitor ... - eTurboNews - August 3rd, 2017
- Best island in Africa and the Middle East: Seychelles receives accolade - eTurboNews - August 1st, 2017
- Air Seychelles reduces European network - ATWOnline - August 1st, 2017
- Air Seychelles to end Dusseldorf service - Flightglobal - August 1st, 2017
- VIP Trip: Scintillating Seychelles - AhlanLive.com (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Air Seychelles to adjust its European network - The FINANCIAL - July 31st, 2017
- St.Ange: Seychelles on the way to recession? - eTurboNews - July 30th, 2017
- Seychelles benefits from UNWTO expertise as work progresses to ... - eTurboNews - July 29th, 2017
- Hotels in the Seychelles. Book your hotel now! Booking.com - July 28th, 2017
- WENY News - 8 Of the best resorts in the Seychelles - WENY-TV - July 28th, 2017
- Unique view of Seychelles underwater world - eTurboNews - July 28th, 2017
- History of Seychelles - Wikipedia - July 26th, 2017
- Speed networking at the Seychelles Roadshow - Bizcommunity - Bizcommunity.com - July 26th, 2017
- The teacher protecting marine turtles in the Seychelles - CNN International - July 26th, 2017