LOS ANGELES -- The Visual Effects Society, the industrys global professional honorary society, has announced acclaimed visual futurist and VES Visionary Award honoree Syd Mead as a keynote speaker at its ninth annual VES Summit, Inspiring Change: Building on 20 Years of VES Innovation. The 2017 VES Summit takes place on Saturday, October 28th at the Sofitel Hotel Beverly Hills.
Featured Speakers will include President of IMAX Home Entertainment Jason Brenek and renowned online security expert and founder of SSP Blue Hemanshu Nigam. The interactive forum on Saturday, October 28th celebrates the Societys milestone 20th Anniversary and will bring together top creatives, executives, thought leaders and visionaries from diverse disciplines to explore the dynamic evolution of visual imagery and the VFX industry landscape in a TED Talks-like atmosphere.
Keynote speaker Syd Mead is an acclaimed visual futurist and conceptual artist whose storied career spans almost six decades. He was honored as the recipient of its VES Visionary Award at the 14th Annual VES Awards in 2016 for his unique ability to create unforgettable images and advance storytelling through his futuristic design aesthetic. Meads career began as he created characters and backgrounds for animated cinema intermission trailers just out of high school. After serving in the U.S. Army and receiving his education at the Art Center School in Los Angeles, Ford Motor Companys Advanced Styling Studio recruited Mead. After Ford, he took on high-profile design assignments for blue chip companies including U.S. Steel, Philips Electronics and Intercontinental Hotels.
In 1979, Meads projects expanded to designing for Hollywood as he began to work with most major studios. His cinema entre was legendary, starting with the creation of the Vger entity for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, followed by two cult classics -- Bladerunner and Tron. Meads designs for robots, vehicles and other-worldly environments have also been featured in films including 2010, Short Circuit, Aliens, Time Cop, Johnny Mnemonic, Mission Impossible 3 and Elysium.
Concept art for director Ridley Scotts 1982 classic feature Blade Runner by Syd Mead.
With transportation design as his first love, Mead seldom misses an opportunity to provide his unique blend of futurism and believability to designing vehicles -- from concept cars, cruise ships and hypervans to interplanetary cinematic spacecrafts that transport audiences to new worlds. In the 1980s, Mead established close working relationships with a number of major Japanese companies including Sony, Minolta, Dentsu, Dyflex, Tiger, Seibu, Mitsukoshi, Bandai, NHK and Honda as well as contributing to Japanese film projects, Yamato 2520 and Solar Crisis. In the 1990s, he supplied designs for all eight robot characters in the Turn A Gundam mobile suit series and TV show. Extensive collections of Meads work have been exhibited worldwide, drawing record crowds and he continues an active schedule of one-man shows and presentations.
Featured speaker Jason Brenek joined IMAX Corporation in 2015 as President, IMAX Home Entertainment, where he oversees a series of global initiatives designed collectively to translate elements of The IMAX Experience to the home setting, including the IMAX Private Theatres, an over-the-top movie service for delivering IMAX-enhanced Hollywood films into homes, and IMAX technology licensing into premium consumer electronics. He also oversees virtual reality content acquisitions and curation for the new IMAX location-based VR centers.
Prior to joining IMAX, Brenek spent more than a decade in senior management at The Walt Disney Studios. He led Disneys international teams and sub-distributors in the commercialization of Disney, Pixar, and Marvel movies in New Media/Digital, Television and Retail channels. His teams have led the industry in the launch of innovative and lucrative partnerships and products around the world. In his concurrent role of Head of Global Business Development and Strategic Partnerships, Brenek was later responsible for sourcing new revenue opportunities, business models, investments, establishing strategic partnerships, and digital product strategy and incubation for the Studios multi-billion dollar Global In-Home Distribution segment.
Prior to these roles, Brenek worked in Disneys Global Theatrical Distribution division as Senior Vice President, Worldwide Digital Cinema and Cinema Programming where he was responsible for setting and executing Disneys global cinema strategy, overseeing Digital Cinema Operations, negotiating Digital Cinema deployment and digital 3D deals around the world, as well as developing and overseeing 3D and Cinema Programming. He was instrumental in Disneys emergence to the forefront of the Digital Cinema and Digital 3D world. In 2015, the International 3D & Advanced Imaging Society awarded Brenek with its first Founders Award.
Featured Speaker: Hemanshu (Hemu) Nigam has worked inside the largest prosecuting agencies, software companies, media and entertainment giants, and most influential trade associations in the world. Nigam served as the Chief Security Officer of News Corporation and Fox Interactive Medias digital properties, as CSO of MySpace, and as a security executive in Microsoft. He was also the Vice President of Worldwide Internet Enforcement at the Motion Picture Association of America. He began his career as Los Angeles County prosecutor specializing in sex crimes and child abuse before serving as a federal prosecutor against online crimes against children and computer crimes in the US DOJ. Today, he is the founder of SSP Blue, a cyber security advisory company that has helped companies like Participant Media, SnapChat, Microsoft/Xbox, Disney, AT&T, Microsoft, JustFab, and others deal with challenges in cyber security, privacy, and safety.
A veteran of online security, he brings over 20 years of experience in private industry, government, and law enforcement. Nigam has been a keynote speaker at the United Nations on stopping cyber hate, and has been a member of the White Houses cyber stalking task force and co-chair of President Obamas Online Safety Technology Working Group. Nigam has spent a career chasing bad guys online and offline bringing them to justice. He was one of U.S. DOJs first online crimes prosecutors who took down an international child sex trafficking ring as well as prosecuted online child predators and hackers. His insightful expert commentary on cyber security offers an insiders view of the dark online underworld. Nigams personable style coupled with his unique ability to simplify cyber security for viewers to understand makes him a frequent guest on U.S. and international media. He also has a video blog at http://www.InsideCyberCrime.com where he breaks down cyber security, privacy, and safety topics in accessible segments.
Source: Visual Effects Society
Jennifer Wolfe is Director of News & Content at Animation World Network.
- 'Where Do We Go from Here?': On the Future of Arab Futurism - Palestine Chronicle - March 9th, 2020
- Scientists Say Ancient Earth Was Completely Covered in Water - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- CRISPR Scientists Hack Patient's Genes in Bid to Cure Blindness - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- Q&A: James Hamblin, MD on Why You're Likely to Get the Coronavirus - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- Elon Musk: New Self-Driving Features Will Come Out This Month - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- New Theory Could Explain Exoplanets With "Density of Cotton Candy" - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- Anti-Coke Lawsuit: "Plastic Is Set to Outweigh Fish in the Ocean" - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- The importance of lifelong learning in the future of work - Fast Company - March 9th, 2020
- This Futuristic Tire Concept Regrows Its Tread by Popping a Pill - Futurism - March 9th, 2020
- Economist: Springfield is 'on the cusp.' Here's what it needs to do to take the next step. - News-Leader - February 27th, 2020
- Here's a Glossary for the Ongoing Coronavirus Outbreak's Vocab - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Humanitys media habits shifted radically in the 2010s. What do the 2020s hold? - Digital Trends - February 27th, 2020
- Space Force Working "Pretty Closely With Elon Musk and SpaceX" - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- The Pentagon Just Simulated a Nuclear War With Russia - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Deadly Coronavirus May Be Spreading Through Poop - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Japan Gives the 'Go' to Sample Return Mission to Mars Moon - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Carmakers Expected to Roll Out Wireless Car Chargers This Year - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Artificial and Biological Neurons Just Talked Over the Internet - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Editors letter: How to predict whats coming in 2030 and beyond - MIT Technology Review - February 27th, 2020
- What in Tarnation Is This "SpaceX Village" by the Starship Launch Site - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Guy Builds Rocket to Prove Earth Is Flat, Crashes It, Dies - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- Report: Two-Thirds of Coronavirus Infections May Be Undetected - Futurism - February 27th, 2020
- The professionals who predict the future for a living - MIT Technology Review - February 27th, 2020
- Futurist Ray Kurzweil Says He Can Bring His Dead Father ... - February 12th, 2020
- What Does The Future Of Human Resources Look Like? | Inc.com - February 12th, 2020
- What is Futurism? Italy's Art Movement that Love Speed and Technology - My Modern Met - February 12th, 2020
- NASA Snaps Photo of Epic Dust Devil on the Surface of Mars - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- App Checks Whether You've Come in Contact With Deadly Coronavirus - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- Watch a Mother Reunite With Her Deceased Child in VR - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- Plans Are Moving Ahead to Open a Space Hotel Attached to the ISS - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- NASA: Next Moon Landing Will Cost About $35 Billion - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- Jordan Brand Continues To Infuse Futurism With The Meta-Morph Utility - Sneaker News - February 12th, 2020
- Watch a Cybertruck Replace the DeLorean in "Back to the Future" - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- Iran Tries to Pass Off $20 Walmart Costume as Space Suit - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- University Chancellor Predicts "Higher Forms of Life" on Europa - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- UN Secretary-General: "A Wind of Madness Is Sweeping the Globe" - Futurism - February 12th, 2020
- LET'S TALK: You, me and the ex-royals won't enjoy any privacy - Arkansas Online - January 27th, 2020
- Predictiveness Pays: 5 Steps to Thinking Like a Futurist - Association of Equipment Manufacturers (AEM) - January 25th, 2020
- Inside Dubai's Quest to be the First Blockchain-Powered City - Futurism - January 25th, 2020
- Sharks Are Evolving to Walk on Land - Futurism - January 25th, 2020
- Predictions for the 2020s, From a Futurist, a Trend Forecaster and an Astrologer - Vogue - January 18th, 2020
- Tullio Crali: A Futurist Life review a head-on revelation - The Guardian - January 18th, 2020
- Meet the futurist with 2020 vision - Sydney Morning Herald - January 18th, 2020
- These Researchers Want You to Live In a Fungus Megastructure - Futurism - January 18th, 2020
- Scientists Create "Living Concrete" That Can Heal Itself - Futurism - January 18th, 2020
- Scientists: Ocean Warming at the Rate of Five A-Bombs per Second - Futurism - January 18th, 2020
- 2020 Real Estate Newsmakers: The Achievers and the Futurists - RisMedia.com - January 18th, 2020
- The Roots Young Futurists 2020: Nominate the Leaders Who Are Ready to Change the World - The Root - January 18th, 2020
- MIT Suspends Another Professor for Epstein Ties - Futurism - January 18th, 2020
- Fossil fuel issues, nanobots, and the end of work as we know it - Kemmerer Gazette - January 18th, 2020
- Trump Demands That Apple Give Government Access to iPhones - Futurism - January 18th, 2020
- SpaceX Is Delivering Cannabis to the Space Station - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- Elon Musk Is Talking About Powering All of America with Solar - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- Middle Eastern Nation First to Buy Drone Armed With Machine Gun - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- Virgil Abloh Merges Fashion and Futurism with the Louis Vuitton Men's 2054 Collection - Ocean Drive Magazine - December 13th, 2019
- Watch Terrifying Creeps Hack Ring Cameras and Spy on Families - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- Study: Many Extreme Weather Events Were Caused by Climate Change - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- End of the world: This futurist has some grim news for the middle class - MarketWatch - December 9th, 2019
- Futurist Predicts "The End of the World as We Know It" - Futurism - December 9th, 2019
- Avoiding the 'Robocalypse' - CFO Magazine - December 9th, 2019
- Blockland Solutions Conference is underway at the Huntington Convention Center of Cleveland - Crain's Cleveland Business - December 9th, 2019
- Its 2071, and We Have Bioengineered Our Own Extinction - The New York Times - December 9th, 2019
- Young Bomberg and the Old Masters at the National Gallery: the Renaissance influences on an East End radical - inews - December 9th, 2019
- Futurist, Cathy Hackl, Named Top Voice in Tech by LinkedIn for 2nd Year in a Row - PRNewswire - December 6th, 2019
- Futurist sees the end of the world as we know it for average person - Haaretz - December 6th, 2019
- SpaceX Is Sending Super-Muscular Mice to the Space Station - Futurism - December 6th, 2019
- 19 Newly Discovered Galaxies Appear to Be Missing Dark Matter - Futurism - December 6th, 2019
- Interview: Shaping the future - The Actuary - December 6th, 2019
- 'The Future of X' Turns to Collaboration in the Workplace. Tune In - OZY - December 6th, 2019
- The inspirations of Shafi Ahmed surgeon, teacher and futurist - Director magazine - November 30th, 2019
- New Zealand Opens World's First HIV-Positive Sperm Bank - Futurism - November 30th, 2019
- Dubai is Adding Tesla Cybertrucks to its Police Car Fleet - Futurism - November 30th, 2019
- New Calculations: Black Holes Could Have Thousands of Planets - Futurism - November 30th, 2019
- Web Inventor Unveils Plan to Save the Web - Futurism - November 30th, 2019
- Can a computer have intuition? - Verizon Communications - November 30th, 2019
- Things to Do in DC This Weekend: A Jane Goodall Exhibit, Holiday Markets, and a Massive Maze at Nats Park - Washingtonian - November 23rd, 2019
- Futurist: Channel Has To Remove Friction To Cloud 2.0 Adoption - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - October 28th, 2019
- MSPs Will Help Enable The 'Virtualization Of The World,' Says Futurist - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - October 28th, 2019
- Tech and futurism drive iconic car event's appeal - The Japan Times - October 28th, 2019
- This Electric Toothbrush Uses AI Because Nothing is Sacred Anymore - Futurism - October 28th, 2019