LOS ANGELES -- The Visual Effects Society, the industrys global professional honorary society, has announced acclaimed visual futurist and VES Visionary Award honoree Syd Mead as a keynote speaker at its ninth annual VES Summit, Inspiring Change: Building on 20 Years of VES Innovation. The 2017 VES Summit takes place on Saturday, October 28th at the Sofitel Hotel Beverly Hills.
Featured Speakers will include President of IMAX Home Entertainment Jason Brenek and renowned online security expert and founder of SSP Blue Hemanshu Nigam. The interactive forum on Saturday, October 28th celebrates the Societys milestone 20th Anniversary and will bring together top creatives, executives, thought leaders and visionaries from diverse disciplines to explore the dynamic evolution of visual imagery and the VFX industry landscape in a TED Talks-like atmosphere.
Keynote speaker Syd Mead is an acclaimed visual futurist and conceptual artist whose storied career spans almost six decades. He was honored as the recipient of its VES Visionary Award at the 14th Annual VES Awards in 2016 for his unique ability to create unforgettable images and advance storytelling through his futuristic design aesthetic. Meads career began as he created characters and backgrounds for animated cinema intermission trailers just out of high school. After serving in the U.S. Army and receiving his education at the Art Center School in Los Angeles, Ford Motor Companys Advanced Styling Studio recruited Mead. After Ford, he took on high-profile design assignments for blue chip companies including U.S. Steel, Philips Electronics and Intercontinental Hotels.
In 1979, Meads projects expanded to designing for Hollywood as he began to work with most major studios. His cinema entre was legendary, starting with the creation of the Vger entity for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, followed by two cult classics -- Bladerunner and Tron. Meads designs for robots, vehicles and other-worldly environments have also been featured in films including 2010, Short Circuit, Aliens, Time Cop, Johnny Mnemonic, Mission Impossible 3 and Elysium.
Concept art for director Ridley Scotts 1982 classic feature Blade Runner by Syd Mead.
With transportation design as his first love, Mead seldom misses an opportunity to provide his unique blend of futurism and believability to designing vehicles -- from concept cars, cruise ships and hypervans to interplanetary cinematic spacecrafts that transport audiences to new worlds. In the 1980s, Mead established close working relationships with a number of major Japanese companies including Sony, Minolta, Dentsu, Dyflex, Tiger, Seibu, Mitsukoshi, Bandai, NHK and Honda as well as contributing to Japanese film projects, Yamato 2520 and Solar Crisis. In the 1990s, he supplied designs for all eight robot characters in the Turn A Gundam mobile suit series and TV show. Extensive collections of Meads work have been exhibited worldwide, drawing record crowds and he continues an active schedule of one-man shows and presentations.
Featured speaker Jason Brenek joined IMAX Corporation in 2015 as President, IMAX Home Entertainment, where he oversees a series of global initiatives designed collectively to translate elements of The IMAX Experience to the home setting, including the IMAX Private Theatres, an over-the-top movie service for delivering IMAX-enhanced Hollywood films into homes, and IMAX technology licensing into premium consumer electronics. He also oversees virtual reality content acquisitions and curation for the new IMAX location-based VR centers.
Prior to joining IMAX, Brenek spent more than a decade in senior management at The Walt Disney Studios. He led Disneys international teams and sub-distributors in the commercialization of Disney, Pixar, and Marvel movies in New Media/Digital, Television and Retail channels. His teams have led the industry in the launch of innovative and lucrative partnerships and products around the world. In his concurrent role of Head of Global Business Development and Strategic Partnerships, Brenek was later responsible for sourcing new revenue opportunities, business models, investments, establishing strategic partnerships, and digital product strategy and incubation for the Studios multi-billion dollar Global In-Home Distribution segment.
Prior to these roles, Brenek worked in Disneys Global Theatrical Distribution division as Senior Vice President, Worldwide Digital Cinema and Cinema Programming where he was responsible for setting and executing Disneys global cinema strategy, overseeing Digital Cinema Operations, negotiating Digital Cinema deployment and digital 3D deals around the world, as well as developing and overseeing 3D and Cinema Programming. He was instrumental in Disneys emergence to the forefront of the Digital Cinema and Digital 3D world. In 2015, the International 3D & Advanced Imaging Society awarded Brenek with its first Founders Award.
Featured Speaker: Hemanshu (Hemu) Nigam has worked inside the largest prosecuting agencies, software companies, media and entertainment giants, and most influential trade associations in the world. Nigam served as the Chief Security Officer of News Corporation and Fox Interactive Medias digital properties, as CSO of MySpace, and as a security executive in Microsoft. He was also the Vice President of Worldwide Internet Enforcement at the Motion Picture Association of America. He began his career as Los Angeles County prosecutor specializing in sex crimes and child abuse before serving as a federal prosecutor against online crimes against children and computer crimes in the US DOJ. Today, he is the founder of SSP Blue, a cyber security advisory company that has helped companies like Participant Media, SnapChat, Microsoft/Xbox, Disney, AT&T, Microsoft, JustFab, and others deal with challenges in cyber security, privacy, and safety.
A veteran of online security, he brings over 20 years of experience in private industry, government, and law enforcement. Nigam has been a keynote speaker at the United Nations on stopping cyber hate, and has been a member of the White Houses cyber stalking task force and co-chair of President Obamas Online Safety Technology Working Group. Nigam has spent a career chasing bad guys online and offline bringing them to justice. He was one of U.S. DOJs first online crimes prosecutors who took down an international child sex trafficking ring as well as prosecuted online child predators and hackers. His insightful expert commentary on cyber security offers an insiders view of the dark online underworld. Nigams personable style coupled with his unique ability to simplify cyber security for viewers to understand makes him a frequent guest on U.S. and international media. He also has a video blog at http://www.InsideCyberCrime.com where he breaks down cyber security, privacy, and safety topics in accessible segments.
Source: Visual Effects Society
Jennifer Wolfe is Director of News & Content at Animation World Network.
- SpaceX Is Delivering Cannabis to the Space Station - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- Elon Musk Is Talking About Powering All of America with Solar - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- Middle Eastern Nation First to Buy Drone Armed With Machine Gun - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- Virgil Abloh Merges Fashion and Futurism with the Louis Vuitton Men's 2054 Collection - Ocean Drive Magazine - December 13th, 2019
- Watch Terrifying Creeps Hack Ring Cameras and Spy on Families - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- Study: Many Extreme Weather Events Were Caused by Climate Change - Futurism - December 13th, 2019
- End of the world: This futurist has some grim news for the middle class - MarketWatch - December 9th, 2019
- Futurist Predicts "The End of the World as We Know It" - Futurism - December 9th, 2019
- Avoiding the 'Robocalypse' - CFO Magazine - December 9th, 2019
- Blockland Solutions Conference is underway at the Huntington Convention Center of Cleveland - Crain's Cleveland Business - December 9th, 2019
- Its 2071, and We Have Bioengineered Our Own Extinction - The New York Times - December 9th, 2019
- Young Bomberg and the Old Masters at the National Gallery: the Renaissance influences on an East End radical - inews - December 9th, 2019
- Futurist, Cathy Hackl, Named Top Voice in Tech by LinkedIn for 2nd Year in a Row - PRNewswire - December 6th, 2019
- Futurist sees the end of the world as we know it for average person - Haaretz - December 6th, 2019
- SpaceX Is Sending Super-Muscular Mice to the Space Station - Futurism - December 6th, 2019
- 19 Newly Discovered Galaxies Appear to Be Missing Dark Matter - Futurism - December 6th, 2019
- Interview: Shaping the future - The Actuary - December 6th, 2019
- 'The Future of X' Turns to Collaboration in the Workplace. Tune In - OZY - December 6th, 2019
- The inspirations of Shafi Ahmed surgeon, teacher and futurist - Director magazine - November 30th, 2019
- New Zealand Opens World's First HIV-Positive Sperm Bank - Futurism - November 30th, 2019
- Dubai is Adding Tesla Cybertrucks to its Police Car Fleet - Futurism - November 30th, 2019
- New Calculations: Black Holes Could Have Thousands of Planets - Futurism - November 30th, 2019
- Web Inventor Unveils Plan to Save the Web - Futurism - November 30th, 2019
- Can a computer have intuition? - Verizon Communications - November 30th, 2019
- Things to Do in DC This Weekend: A Jane Goodall Exhibit, Holiday Markets, and a Massive Maze at Nats Park - Washingtonian - November 23rd, 2019
- Futurist: Channel Has To Remove Friction To Cloud 2.0 Adoption - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - October 28th, 2019
- MSPs Will Help Enable The 'Virtualization Of The World,' Says Futurist - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - October 28th, 2019
- Tech and futurism drive iconic car event's appeal - The Japan Times - October 28th, 2019
- This Electric Toothbrush Uses AI Because Nothing is Sacred Anymore - Futurism - October 28th, 2019
- This Rocky World With Three Suns May Have an Atmosphere - Futurism - October 28th, 2019
- This Creepy Life-Sized Doll Is a Warning About What Office Life Is Doing to Us - ScienceAlert - October 28th, 2019
- Scientists Say They Finally Figured Out How to Spot Wormholes - Futurism - October 28th, 2019
- Good News: The Ozone Hole Is Smaller Than Weve Ever Seen It - Futurism - October 28th, 2019
- The US Army Is Spending $750K to Partner With UFO Research Group - Futurism - October 28th, 2019
- Amazon Is Writing Its Own Facial Recognition Bills - Futurism - September 27th, 2019
- Yes, There's a "Pee Tape" and It's Unclear If It's a Deepfake - Futurism - September 27th, 2019
- Heres How We Could Feed a Million People on Mars - Futurism - September 27th, 2019
- Gasoline Fiends Blocked Every Single Tesla Charger in This Town - Futurism - September 27th, 2019
- Harvard Prof: The Moon Could Have Caught Alien Organisms, Tech - Futurism - September 27th, 2019
- Scarborough's South Bay observation wheel set to stay until November - The Scarborough News - September 27th, 2019
- Dozens of Countries Are Deploying Propaganda on Social Media - Futurism - September 27th, 2019
- Visual Effects Society Names Acclaimed Visual Futurist Syd Mead A Keynote Speaker at 2017 VES Summit - SHOOT Online - August 25th, 2017
- Residents 'Happy' With Futurist Development - Yorkshire Coast Radio - August 25th, 2017
- THE FUTURIST: Economic and existential concerns cloud the future - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - August 22nd, 2017
- New series of The Futurist Report explains effects of AI - IT News Africa - IT News Africa - August 22nd, 2017
- What is the Future of the Human Resource Function ... - August 20th, 2017
- Utah Futurist Rebrands NewVistas Effort - Valley News - August 20th, 2017
- AT&T Foundry, RocketSpace and Ericsson Release a New Series of ... - Al-Bawaba - August 20th, 2017
- Universal Basic Income Examined by Futurism Blog - Basic Income News - August 20th, 2017
- Renowned futurist to speak at SA top 100 event - InDaily - August 18th, 2017
- The CIO's broadening role: Business strategist, futurist, change agent - CIO New Zealand - August 16th, 2017
- Popular Futurist to Discuss the Future of the Hospitality Industry - Digital Journal - August 15th, 2017
- The Futurist: Technology as the key to HR - Human Resources Online - August 14th, 2017
- Yorkshire Coast Radio - News - Next Step In Futurist Demolition - Yorkshire Coast Radio - August 14th, 2017
- Transportation Futurist Simon J. Anderson to Speak Today on the Future of Trucking - Digital Journal - August 14th, 2017
- Cliff-top Scarborough residents say theatre demolition could destroy their homes - ITV News - August 11th, 2017
- The Futurist: Creating a positive candidate experience is fundamental - Human Resources Online - August 9th, 2017
- Israel and Kazakhstan's futurist vision for Eurasia - The Jerusalem Post mobile website - August 8th, 2017
- The Futurist: Fishing for the right talent - Human Resources Online - August 3rd, 2017
- Anders Srman-Nilsson (LLB/EMBA), global futurist, speaker and author - InvestorDaily - August 3rd, 2017
- 4 Big Trends That Will Shape CRE: A Futurist's Guide - Commercial Property Executive - August 3rd, 2017
- Futurist | Definition of Futurist by Merriam-Webster - August 1st, 2017
- FutureWorld - Is your business FUTUREPROOF - July 31st, 2017
- The Futurist: Why human resources is a people's job - Human Resources Online - July 31st, 2017
- Marty Sklar, Disney Legend And Futurist, Dies At 83 | Gizmodo ... - Gizmodo Australia - July 31st, 2017
- Professional futurists converge on Seattle to pick up hints about what lies ahead - GeekWire - July 29th, 2017
- Geek of the Week: Futurist author Richard Yonck helps us better prepare for a rapidly changing world - GeekWire - July 29th, 2017
- A futurist tells us what life will probably look like in 2040 - New York Post - July 29th, 2017
- Marty Sklar, Disney Legend and Futurist, Dies at 83 - Gizmodo - July 28th, 2017
- How Clothing Made From Milk Became the Height of Fashion in Mussolini's Italy - Atlas Obscura - July 28th, 2017
- Mark Zuckerberg Is A Bad Futurist - HuffPost - July 27th, 2017
- Here's what the Lime Street facade will look like - including Futurist memories - Liverpool Echo - July 26th, 2017
- Neo-Futurists' new show serves up plenty of 'Food' for thought - Chicago Sun-Times - July 26th, 2017
- The Futurist: Future by design - Human Resources Online - July 26th, 2017
- New 'Star Trek: Discovery' Clips Show Off Beautiful, Retro-Futurist Tech (Including a New Phaser) - Outer Places - July 22nd, 2017
- New York Neo-Futurists to Offer 'Fundamentals' Workshop This Summer - Broadway World - July 22nd, 2017
- Paramount Pictures Just Hired a Futurist in Residence to Guide the Future of Film - Futurism - July 18th, 2017
- Futurist: 'I Am Concerned for My Two Young Daughters' - Inverse - July 14th, 2017
- Ted Schilowitz Named First 'Futurist In Residence At Paramount Pictures - Deadline - July 14th, 2017
- The Futurist: A vision for the future - Human Resources Online - July 13th, 2017