The Intelligence Trap: Why Smart People Make Dumb Mistakes by David Robson
Published in August of 2019.
Reading The Intelligence Trap shook my world. Or, as my college-going kids might say, "I'm shook."
Here is the problem. There is a non-trivial probability that the things that I believe most strongly about higher education are, in reality, wrong.
The Intelligence Trap is all about how smart people make dumb mistakes. There is at least some evidence that academics are smart people.
Unfortunately, smart academics may be highly vulnerable to succumbing to biases and blind spots. Our entire IHE community might be made up of highly intelligent, but irredeemably wrongheaded, higher ed insiders.
Why might academics be susceptible to the intelligence trap? Robson explores how the relationship between wisdom and intelligence is, at best, tenuous.
Someone with a high IQ might be more likely to develop a worldview that is as skewed by misinformation, or self-interest, than individuals who test at the IQ mean.
Those with high measured intelligence, however, may disproportionately excel at coming up with arguments and evidence to support their blinkered views.
One of the biases that Robson discusses, and which academics may be especially susceptible, includes that of earned dogmatism. Anyone with a PhD is at particular risk for this bias, in which we believe that our credentials give us the right to claim expertise across a range of subjects.
The challenge of escaping the intelligence trap is that academia rewards many of the biases that Robson identities.
In the marketplace of ideas, impact is correlated with certitude. And yet, certainty is the enemy of wisdom.
As someone who has built his career in online education, I am highly incentivized to argue for the benefits of low-residency and online learning. (Motivated reasoning).
I am certainthat online programs can be a catalyst to build institutional capacity in learning science and instructional design.
I'm also fully convincedthat all but a very few face-to-face master's programs will disappear, and that the future of professional education is mostly low-residency and online.
Further, I have no doubtthat we are on the cusp of a bifurcation of graduate professional education. Soon, the vast majority of all master's degrees will be conferred through scaled online platforms that enable lower price points (~$25K). Only highly selective schools with global brands will be able to charge premium tuition (>$100K). And that the undifferentiated middle of the master's degree market ($26K-$99K) will implode.
Added to myhighly confidentassertions about online learning, I also think that the funnel into graduate education at an inflection point. I'm surethat we will be moving university recruiting dollars away from Google, LinkedIn, and Facebook Ads - and towards investing in non-degree scaled online programs that channel participants into applicants for graduate degree programs.
Reading The Intelligence Trap has persuaded me that it would be wiser to be less sure of my beliefs.
Robson quotes Ben Franklin's famous words from the Constitutional Convention of 1787:
I confess that there are several parts of this constitution which I do not at present approve, but I am not sure I shall never approve them. For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged by better information, or fuller consideration, to change opinions even on important subjects, which I once thought right, but found to be otherwise. It is therefore that the older I grow, the more apt I am to doubt my own judgment, and to pay more respect to the judgment of others.
What Robson advocates for is that we embrace the new discipline of evidence-based wisdom and that we approach the work of formulating our beliefs with openness and humility.
Do you think our IHE community can be less certain of the rightness of our beliefs?
Might we model, in our opinion pieces and comments on IHE, the benefits of doubt and hesitation?
What other books about the cognitive traps that academics are susceptible to do you recommend?
What are you reading?
- MIT Technology Review - January 27th, 2020
- Technology : NPR - January 27th, 2020
- A Storm Is Brewing In The Technology Sector - Traders Magazine - January 27th, 2020
- Four Acronyms That Spell Technology Disruption - Forbes - January 27th, 2020
- Ulrich spring exhibition explores the pros and cons of technology - Wichita State Sunflower - January 27th, 2020
- Ask the Builder: Plumbing technology has come a long way - The Spokesman-Review - January 27th, 2020
- Edwards sees both sides of technology - The Cross Timbers Gazette - January 27th, 2020
- New technology transforms the beauty industry - Fort Wayne's NBC - January 27th, 2020
- How This Father-And-Son Team Invented St. Louis' Latest Smart Technology - St. Louis Public Radio - January 27th, 2020
- New sanitary technology is available in WNC | Business - The Mountaineer - January 27th, 2020
- Rules have to catch up with technology - Examiner Enterprise - January 27th, 2020
- Goodyear to launch bicycle tires with graphene technology - Graphene-Info - January 27th, 2020
- The Week In Technology, Jan. 27-31, 2020 - Aviation Week - January 27th, 2020
- Met police to begin using live facial recognition cameras in London - The Guardian - January 27th, 2020
- Unique Toronto law firm to focus on responsible use of AI technology - The Globe and Mail - January 27th, 2020
- Do You Know What Lin Horn Technology Co., Ltd.s (GTSM:5464) P/E Ratio Means? - Simply Wall St - January 27th, 2020
- RCCI to organise Smart Technology Exhibition on Feb 3 - The Nation - January 27th, 2020
- Executive Column: We go beyond main cities in Indonesia: Here Technologies - Jakarta Post - January 27th, 2020
- How a Japanese Biotech Company Is Innovating Drug Development Technologies - SPONSOR CONTENT FROM THE GOVERNMENT OF JAPAN - Harvard Business Review - January 27th, 2020
- Technology allows us to appreciate Liverpool and Stokes winning in style - The Guardian - January 27th, 2020
- More Americans say they're lonely blame work and technology - WDEF News 12 - January 27th, 2020
- 'Technology will eat up everything ahead' - Emerging Europe - January 27th, 2020
- The Evolution of Bitcoin's Technology Stack - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- The Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering is accepting applications - WHNT News 19 - January 22nd, 2020
- Why technology could be the key to powering the teachers of tomorrow - Techradar - January 22nd, 2020
- 5 ways technology will reshape the workforce in 2020 - ZDNet - January 22nd, 2020
- FIS Commits to Cincinnati as a Strategic Technology and Innovation Campus - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- How Technology Saved Chinas Economy - The New York Times - January 22nd, 2020
- Kiwi automated checkout start-up IMAGR announces backing from global technology heavy-weight - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Ultra-thin materials are poised to transform technology - Archinect - January 22nd, 2020
- BigID Introduces New Discovery-in-Depth Technology to Give Organizations Unmatched Data Intelligence for Privacy, Protection and Perspective -... - January 22nd, 2020
- Is Momo (MOMO) Outperforming Other Computer and Technology Stocks This Year? - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Whats the newest reason for your delayed PATH train? Blame technology. - NJ.com - January 22nd, 2020
- In Los Angeles, the Womens March embraces technology to organize and inspire - TechCrunch - January 22nd, 2020
- Technology isn't shaping work the way we think - Policy Options - January 22nd, 2020
- Sabre announces plans with Accor to create the first unified technology platform for the global hospitality industry - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- This Software Technology Firm is Reshaping the Asset Management Industry - Entrepreneur - January 22nd, 2020
- 'Frozen' Wardrobe Takes Technology, Math To Hit The Stage Every Night - CBS Los Angeles - January 22nd, 2020
- Which technology injects the most value into the insurance supply chain? - Insurance Business New Zealand - January 22nd, 2020
- Davos 2020: technology's opportunity in a cohesive and sustainable world - Information Age - January 22nd, 2020
- Antenna Technologies for IoT Applications, 2019 Report - The Antenna Start-up Ecosystem Has Adopted Unique Techniques to Comply With Existing &... - January 22nd, 2020
- Keysight Technologies Wins 2020 BIG Innovation Award - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Electric drive technology to see boost from GKN and Delta Electronics - Automotive Testing Technology International - January 22nd, 2020
- MAN Cryo to supply icebreaking RoRos with technology - gasworld - January 22nd, 2020
- Google wants its users to find a better balance with technology - Ghacks Technology News - January 22nd, 2020
- To Survive Disruption, Build a Digital Technology Foundation - Which-50 - January 22nd, 2020
- Harry Potter: 10 Ways Technology Would Change The Series If I Was Set Today - Screen Rant - January 22nd, 2020
- Millions of Android phones in India to get this ISRO technology - Hindustan Times - January 22nd, 2020
- Which technology brings the most value to the insurance supply chain? - Insurance Business Australia - January 22nd, 2020
- 5G: India will no longer be behind technology curve, says Trai Chief - Economic Times - January 22nd, 2020
- The Rise And Fall Of The Technology Companies - Forbes - December 13th, 2019
- Understanding the ethics behind use of HR technology - Human Resource Executive - December 13th, 2019
- Konka Group, A China TV Technology Powerhouse, Announces Brand Expansion Into The United States And Canada - PRNewswire - December 13th, 2019
- These Are The Technologies That Will Transform The 2020s - From 5G To Vertical Farming - Forbes - December 13th, 2019
- The State and Technological Revolution | by Benedict Macon-Cooney - Project Syndicate - December 13th, 2019
- The AI community needs to take responsibility for its technology and its actions - MIT Technology Review - December 13th, 2019
- 4 Stocks to Play the Way Technology Is Changing Everything About Finance - Barron's - December 13th, 2019
- Watch Advancements to Discover How Technology is Altering our World - PR Web - December 13th, 2019
- How to Organize Your Life With the Help of Technology - Entrepreneur - December 13th, 2019
- Mambu taps into card processing technology with Marqeta partnership - IBS Intelligence - December 13th, 2019
- What Can the Police Tell From Your Digital Activities? - Technology Networks - December 13th, 2019
- Where are we in the information technology revolution? - Furniture Today - December 13th, 2019
- CES 2020: Bosch presents intelligent technology that is Invented for life - Automotive World - December 13th, 2019
- Secure Technology Alliance Announces New TWIC Security Training and Certification Program - HSToday - December 13th, 2019
- As battery technology charges forward, the transport industry is benefitting from real change - EuropeanCEO - December 13th, 2019
- Growing Cleveland's start-up culture could come from new technology and a new place to work - News 5 Cleveland - December 13th, 2019
- Emotion recognition technology should be banned, says an AI research institute - MIT Technology Review - December 13th, 2019
- Indian IT companies deploy hitech technologies at home and abroad - Economic Times - December 13th, 2019
- Mmmm... fresh, delicious tenders: Forget G-Cloud, this 6.5bn Technology Products and Associated Services framework is where it's at - The Register - December 13th, 2019
- Technology To Make Healthcare More Effective, Indian Rep Tells UN - Inc42 Media - December 13th, 2019
- Scientists at School of Mines and Technology create a tool that drastically lowers medication prices - Kotatv - December 13th, 2019
- Port Authority To Look Into Technology That Could Save Bridge And Tunnel Carpool Discount - CBS New York - December 13th, 2019
- Universities at the forefront of technological innovation - Study International News - December 13th, 2019
- Heilind Asia Wins the 6th China IoT Technology Innovation Award - Business Wire - December 13th, 2019
- New Jersey Self-driving technology will be tested on some NJ buses Greg Mocker 7:31 - WPIX 11 New York - December 13th, 2019
- What does it take for teachers to make smart use of technology in classrooms? - The Dallas Morning News - December 13th, 2019
- From AR to AI: The emerging technologies marketers can explore to enable and disrupt - Marketing Tech - December 13th, 2019
- Inflation-target renewal, impact of technology highlight Bank of Canada's 2020 work plan, Governor Poloz says - Bank of Canada - December 13th, 2019
- How Technology Is Transforming Executive Coaching - Harvard Business Review - December 1st, 2019
- Let us give thanks for the good technology - Business Day - December 1st, 2019