Whileworking your 9-5, you'd be lying if you said that you didn't daydream now and then about escaping to wherever there's sun, sand, and free-flowing alcohol. It's completely understandable. Everyone needs an escape and islands are the perfect destinations.
If you're actively planning your next vacation, onegroup of islands to take into consideration is the Bahamas. Its name is regularly associated with paradise and resorts. And this would all be true. But beyond the resorts, there is so much culture and new discoveries to take in. Below is a mini travel guide to the Bahamas- 15 things that you can't miss should you venture over there!
No, these aren't photoshopped! In a particular area, there lives a colony of wild pigs.No one knowshow the pigs got there. Some suggest that they were left behind by sailors, while others claim that they're the result of pig farms. Either way, they'rean oinking good time!
Shopping is an essential part of a routine,vacation or not. Downtown Nassau has a wide array of stores that sell clothes at unbelievable prices. You canwalk out in a celebrity outfit without breaking the bank! You have your pick of boutiques, as well as more casual shops.
Not only is the Platinum Coast breathtaking, but it's also been a hub for celebrity sightings. The fact that it's known as the richest part of the island further probably elucidatesthis argument. While you're here, enjoy the island's most renowned resorts and the beautiful palm trees that guard the beaches.
If you're a snorkeling aficionado, this is the place for you. This is one of the world's most successful marine parks. You can come to explore the many species of protected fish and other marine life. The water is also known for its clear blue color.
If you're looking for even more shopping opportunities (or general enjoyment), check out the Port Lucaya Marketplace. It'sthe largest open-air facility in the Bahamas with over 40 specialty stores, restaurants, and bars.On top ofthat, it's also used as a space for entertainment.
There's no color correction! The pink sand on Harbour Island is one of the many natural wonders of the world. The sand gets its distinct color from years of being exposed to coral, shells, and calcium carbonate. Telling your friends that you frolicked in pink sand is a pretty cool story!
Blue holes are largesinkholes that are comprised of limestone or coral. Dean's Blue Hole is known as the world's deepest blue hole and the second largest underwater chamber. It's 663 feet deep and has many opportunities for visitors to either swim in it or hike the trails surrounding it.
This museum is a love letter toHope Town in the Bahamas. In 1978, the residents decided that their community's history needed to be showcased and documented. Visitors to Wyannie Malone (named after the town's founder) can see manuscripts, photographs and even china leftover from shipwrecks on the island.
If you're looking fora private water park away from everyone, check out Blue Lagoon Island. It's on a separate island near Nassau and brags many opportunities to dive, play water sports and snorkel. If you're in the mood, you caneven play with dolphins and sea lions!
This 80-year-old sanctuary features the largest collection of Bahamian animals. Themain attraction of the zoo is the island's native bird, the Caribbean Flamingo. In addition to the plethora of pink feathers, the tropical gardens are lush and have many types of exotic fruit, coconut palms, and orchids.
Built in 1793 by Lord Dunmore, Fort Fincastle was built to protect the island from invaders. Set on the top of Society Hill, visitors can get an impressive view of the Bahamas, as well as the water. Learn more about the island's history- and enjoy the canons while you're at it!
Located at the bottom of Fort Fincastle, this staircase is known as the 66 steps. It was built out of limestone over the period of a year by slaves. Once slavery was abolished, they renamed the staircase to honor Queen Victoria and her role in ending slavery.
The Bahamas has no shortage of artwork. If you visit the National Gallery, you'll be exposed to many photographs, portraits, sculptures, and even ceramics. If you want more history about the museum itself, there is plenty of information about the National Collection and the Art Library.
If partying is not your cup of tea, we have the solution! This park boasts many types of exotic flora and fauna, including many species native to the island. If you need to entertain your kids,there's the Arts and Craft Center, playground and even a zoo!
If you want to take a paddle out into nature, then check out Peterson Cay. This protected area houses some of the most beautiful reefs in the Bahamas. You can swim with the Bahamian marine life, as well as bird watch and even have a picnic by the clear water.
Here is the original post:
- What's New In The Islands Of The Bahamas This Winter - PRNewswire - November 24th, 2020
- INSIGHT: From persecution to prison to poverty a political refugee's five-year ordeal in The Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - November 24th, 2020
- Joe Giudice Is Headed to the Bahamas in the New Year for Celebrity Boxing! - WSMV Nashville - November 24th, 2020
- US Donates Additional $20K to COVID Fight in The Bahamas - US Embassy in The Bahamas - November 24th, 2020
- Bahamas To Buy Off Hurricanes With Sand Dollars. - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - November 24th, 2020
- Limeade Bahamas provides breakfast for 400 in the Englerston community - EyeWitness News - November 24th, 2020
- BPC urged to stand down, warned of possible legal action - EyeWitness News - November 24th, 2020
- Forbes: We are not out of the second wave yet - EyeWitness News - November 24th, 2020
- Bahamas Paradise confirms the sale of Grand Celebration - Seatrade Cruise News - November 24th, 2020
- Grand Bahama cases double in two weeks Eye Witness News - EyeWitness News - November 24th, 2020
- The Bahamas gains a new fleet of national security drones - DroneDJ - November 24th, 2020
- PM affirms govt commitment to preschools, says Family Island preschools will receive same benefits as NP - EyeWitness News - November 24th, 2020
- BPC on track to spud exploratory well in six weeks - EyeWitness News - November 24th, 2020
- Former Sky Bahamas employees claim they are owed $740000 in back pay - EyeWitness News - November 24th, 2020
- Bahamas Professional Golf Association recognizes contributions of Albany Bahamas and Bakers Bay Golf and Ocean Club - EyeWitness News - November 24th, 2020
- WPT, MILLIONS Online, Russia and the Bahamas: Partypoker Releases Live and Online Schedule for 2021 - Pokerfuse - November 24th, 2020
- Baha Mar, The Leading Resort Destination In The Bahamas, Announces Its Reopening, Welcoming Back Guests Beginning December 17, 2020 - PRNewswire - November 7th, 2020
- CG to roll out covid-19 travel insurance in Bahamas - International Investment - November 7th, 2020
- Bahamas edged out by Turks and Caicos in popularity among American travelers in ranking - EyeWitness News - November 7th, 2020
- Smith: Outcome of US election has implications on The Bahamas' survival - EyeWitness News - November 7th, 2020
- Athletes aiming for Tokyo 2020 qualification receive funding from Bahamas NOC - Insidethegames.biz - November 7th, 2020
- Americans are Now Considering Bahamas Real Estate in The Midst of Uncertain Times - Yahoo Finance - November 7th, 2020
- GB off the beaten path? Is that all? - Bahamas Tribune - November 7th, 2020
- The Bahamas' Grand Hyatt Baha Mar to reopen in December - Yogonet International - November 7th, 2020
- The Bahamas Updated Their Visitor Guidelines a Day Before Opening to Travelers What to Know - FOX10 News - November 7th, 2020
- Atlantis employees to begin weekly COVID testing next week - EyeWitness News - November 7th, 2020
- Government signs agreement with ITU for national cybersecurity project - EyeWitness News - November 7th, 2020
- Church farm project aims to help people feed themselves - Bahamas Tribune - November 7th, 2020
- Govt. to expand testing protocols with SalivaDirect pilot program - EyeWitness News - November 7th, 2020
- UNDP and UWI post-disaster Bahamas Resilient Recovery Policy endorsed by Cabinet - EyeWitness News - November 7th, 2020
- Baleria Caribbean to Resume Passenger Sailings Between Port Everglades and the Bahamas - South Florida Caribbean News - October 27th, 2020
- Central Bank Digital Currency: The First Nationwide CBDC In The World Has Been Launched By The Bahamas - Forbes - October 27th, 2020
- SURGE: Bahamas records more than 1000 cases in less than two weeks - EyeWitness News - October 27th, 2020
- American Eagle ERJ145 Runs Off The Runway In The Bahamas - Simple Flying - October 27th, 2020
- Everything Fresh touts 'remarkable growth' in Bahamas - Loop News Jamaica - October 27th, 2020
- COVID Impacts Heavily on Government Business Says Bahamas - caribbeannationalweekly.com - October 27th, 2020
- Discover the Dreamy Islands of The Bahamas With a Yacht Charter - TravelPulse - October 27th, 2020
- St. Pete native to paddleboard more than 400 miles from Tampa Bay area to Bahamas - ABC Action News - October 27th, 2020
- Teacher tests positive at school in Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - October 27th, 2020
- COVID has severely affected the tourism dependent economy says Bahamas - NYCaribNews - October 27th, 2020
- The Potential Impact Of COVID-19 On Leases In The Bahamas - Real Estate and Construction - Bahamas - Mondaq News Alerts - October 27th, 2020
- COVID-19: Force Majeure And Frustration Of Contracts - Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Bahamas - Mondaq News Alerts - October 27th, 2020
- Henfield: Worst could be yet to come - EyeWitness News - October 27th, 2020
- $500 million paid to reverse osmosis operators over last 20 years says Gibson - EyeWitness News - October 27th, 2020
- Long Island MP wants free COVID testing for Bahamians - EyeWitness News - October 27th, 2020
- Central Bank Of The Bahamas Launches The Sand Dollar - ValueWalk - October 27th, 2020
- Bishop Ellis says the target of his does not believe in God comment is a senior official not PM - EyeWitness News - October 27th, 2020
- Bahamas Government to review legalization of a hemp industry, and inject 250M for small business development - The Eleutheran - October 27th, 2020
- Man sentenced to three years in prison for stealing over $50000 in cash and items - EyeWitness News - October 27th, 2020
- Government doing all it can to push for early Cub Med opening - EyeWitness News - October 27th, 2020
- WSC obtains injunction against reverse osmosis operator over Eleuthera supply disruption - EyeWitness News - October 27th, 2020
- PAHO Director: If our health systems are not prepared, it is not the time to reopen - EyeWitness News - September 18th, 2020
- Bahamas New VIP Plan: Allow Tourists In, Then Lock Them Down. - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - September 18th, 2020
- Search Called Off for Missing Jamaicans and Haitians in Bahamas - caribbeannationalweekly.com - September 18th, 2020
- PAHO: Bahamas showing balance between reducing transmission and reopening - EyeWitness News - September 18th, 2020
- 'Fifth division Bahamas' faces uphill struggle to hit Singapore ambition - Bahamas Tribune - September 18th, 2020
- Back to the Bahamas: It's the people you remember most from life's adventures - Kingsport Times News - September 18th, 2020
- Divide and rule - Bahamas Tribune - September 18th, 2020
- A year after Hurricane Dorian hit the Bahamas, the islands are eager to welcome back visitors - iNews - September 18th, 2020
- PAHO: Vaccine not around the corner - Bahamas Tribune - September 18th, 2020
- Distillery sales return as US and local economy reopens - EyeWitness News - September 18th, 2020
- EDITORIAL: Are we out of our league? - Bahamas Tribune - September 18th, 2020
- Three days of suspected COVID deaths EyeWitness News - EyeWitness News - September 18th, 2020
- UK weather forecast: Temperatures to be hotter than the Bahamas next week as mercury rises above 30C - Evening Standard - September 18th, 2020
- The Artist Whose Medium Is Science - The New York Times - September 18th, 2020
- Out Island resorts eye COVID testing savings - Bahamas Tribune - September 18th, 2020
- Blockchain, The Bahamas, And Future Directions In Cryptocurrency Reporting - Forbes - August 26th, 2020
- Global warming's huge threat to Bahamas - Bahamas Tribune - August 26th, 2020
- Shore Thing Escapes Provides Coronavirus Aid to the Bahamas - PR Web - August 26th, 2020
- Bahamas Government to Outline New Economic Measures to Deal with Impact of COVID - caribbeannationalweekly.com - August 26th, 2020
- 'Renovation Island': The Baeumler Family's Luxury Bahamas Resort Is Finally Open for Reservations - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 26th, 2020
- Frustration begins to show in Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - August 26th, 2020
- Sean Connery 90th birthday: From James Bond to Bahamas recluse - The Scottish Sun - August 26th, 2020
- Restrictions eased on Family Islands and Grand Bahama - Bahamas Tribune - August 26th, 2020
- Tropical Storm Laura bearing down on The Bahamas, Turks & Caicos - Loop News Trinidad and Tobago - August 26th, 2020
- FACE TO FACE: A lifetime's mission to redress the wrongs of slavery and explore a people's African roots - Bahamas Tribune - August 26th, 2020
- Bahamian aviation industry owed 'proper respect' says operator - EyeWitness News - August 26th, 2020
- PETER YOUNG: COVID's here to stay and it may be we'll just have to learn to live alongside it - Bahamas Tribune - August 26th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: A young Bahamian response to COVID-19 - EyeWitness News - August 26th, 2020
- McAlpine to PM: Not the time to appoint engineer to min. of health - EyeWitness News - August 26th, 2020