Technology September 13, 2019
technology | Transportation Management Systems
Outsourcing its transportation and logistics function is allowing snack manufacturer Lenny & Larry's to better manage growth and focus on its core competency: making cookies.
By Victoria Kickham
Snack manufacturer Lenny & Larry's faced a classic "good news, bad news" scenario just a few years ago. The good news was that demand was skyrocketing among the health and wellness set for its flagship protein-packed cookie, opening new markets for the product nationwide. The bad news was that the Southern California-based company was crumbling under the weight of transportation and logistics challenges as it worked to get cookie orders out the door faster than ever before.
That's when leaders at Lenny & Larry's turned to third-party logistics service provider (3PL) BlueGrace Logistics, which now manages all of the manufacturer's transportation planning and execution, allowing Lenny & Larry's to focus on product development and expansionall while reducing costs and enhancing on-time performance rates.
"BlueGrace [has] allowed Lenny & Larry's to focus on making the best protein cookies and improving internal operations while providing a consistent and stable platform for managing all outbound logistics," says Andrew Klucznik, sales and operations planning director for Lenny & Larry's. "[It has] also very effectively reduced logistics costs and pushed on-time performance to world-class levels."
One measure of success: Lenny & Larry's is now a nationwide distributor to Target, having been considered an "at-risk vendor" by the retail giant just a few years ago.
THE PROBLEM: LOW VISIBILITY, OUTDATED SYSTEMS
Bodybuilder and former American Gladiator competitor Benny "Cyclone" Turner founded Lenny & Larry's in 1993 with the goal of introducing a tasty, healthy protein-based snack to the health and wellness market. Over the next several years, the snack maker experienced what company leaders describe as "explosive growth" that left it bursting at the seams in 2013. During that period, Lenny & Larry's went from handling just a few shipments a day to local West Coast markets, to coordinating upward of 20 shipments a day for delivery nationwide.
Company leaders quickly realized that their distribution infrastructure wasn't up to snuff and that handling logistics processes manually was too much of a burden for the small but fast-growing business. The firm's on-time and must-arrive-by-date (MABD) performance rates were low, keeping it from meeting the stringent demands of many major retailers. Managing its logistics challenges was distracting the company from its main focus: making cookies.
THE SOLUTION: NEW SOFTWARE AND A PROCESS OVERHAUL
Riverview, Fla.-based BlueGrace entered the picture around 2016, first implementing its standalone transportation management platform, BlueShip, which provided Lenny & Larry's employees with a more streamlined system for booking shipments. The partnership grew from there, as BlueGrace uncovered deeper problems that were keeping the manufacturer from meeting some of its production and delivery goals. As BlueGrace Regional Vice President Christopher Kupillas explains, Lenny & Larry's needed to get a better handle on the data in its IT (information technology) system as a way to provide a fuller picture and more forward-looking view of orders and delivery requirements. That is to say, the firm needed to do more than just automate the shipping process in order to keep up with its growth.
"A lot of the things they did as a smaller business, moving two to three shipments a day, just wouldn't work anymore," Kupillas says. "When you start moving 20, 30, 40 shipments a day, you have to do some things to adjust to that."
BlueGrace took on a larger role by automating its client's entire logistics function. The 3PL started by eliminating cumbersome paperwork and introducing best practices and continuous-improvement processes for transportation and logistics. Its team of logistics experts drilled down to the on-time performance rates of specific customer locations and compared them with carrier-performance ratings to create an optimal carrier mix. They then developed new ship-date logic that matched the Lenny & Larry's production schedule, helping the firm reach on-time rates of more than 95 percent with big-box retailers and grocersan impressive jump from rates that hovered around 50 percent prior to working with BlueGrace, leaders from both companies say.
"Their support immediately alleviated the workload on our warehouse team, who could now focus on improving the order-fulfillment processes, accuracy of orders, and fill rates," Klucznik explains. "Aside from small parcels, which are still booked internally, BlueGrace manages the booking of all outbound transportation for our two distribution centersone on the West Coast and one on the East Coast. Once a week, we meet with BlueGrace to review the on-time performance to our customers as well as the cost performance of our distribution network."
THE OUTLOOK: MORE GROWTH AHEAD
Lenny & Larry's ships about a half-million pounds of product every week to more than 100 retailers and is more focused on growth than ever before, thanks to its new logistics partnership. Klucznik says BlueGrace acts as an extension of Lenny & Larry's, and that the two partners are working together to grow the business. Kupillas agrees, and says the opening of the company's East Coast distribution center in late 2018 perfectly illustrates the point.
BlueGrace was instrumental in the decision to open the East Coast facility, thanks to a cost-analysis study that grew out of its routine analysis of its client's data. More than a year ago, BlueGrace's logistics experts saw that the manufacturer was planning a new-product launch that would affect the weight, class, and mileage of its shipmentsultimately increasing shipping costsKupillas explains. That led the BlueGrace team to run some numbers to see whether adding an East Coast facility would mitigate the cost increases that were coming down the pike. Kupillas says the team found that a new facility would dramatically reduce costs for Lenny & Larry's on a cost-per-cookie basis; more importantly, it would help get the product to the customer faster, improving on-time delivery rates.
"Lenny & Larry's is a very future-focused company that is always looking on the horizon and focused on continuous improvement," he says, emphasizing the value to BlueGrace of knowing ahead of time how the new-product launch would affect shipping and logistics. Essentially, it allowed the two companies to develop a longer-term strategy for the snack maker's growth.
"If you can have those strategic conversations from a high level, as well as conversations at the tactical level ... it's the best possible scenario," Kupillas adds.
After you comment, click Post. If you're not already logged in, you will be asked to log in or register.
Feedback: What did you think of this article? We'd like to hear from you. DC VELOCITY is committed to accuracy and clarity in the delivery of important and useful logistics and supply chain news and information. If you find anything in DC VELOCITY you feel is inaccurate or warrants further explanation, please ?Subject=Feedback - : A TMS partnership that spells sweet success">contact Chief Editor David Maloney. All comments are eligible for publication in the letters section of DC VELOCITY magazine. Please include you name and the name of the company or organization your work for.
See the original post here:
- Active Recovery TMS Treats Depression Without Medication - KATU - June 1st, 2020
- TMS focuses on digitalisation and business transformation in third Covid-19 Webinar - Latest Maritime & Shipping News Online - The Maritime... - June 1st, 2020
- TMS ends the year, honors students with virtual award ceremony - thechronicle-news.com - June 1st, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Outbreak on Treasury Management System (TMS) Market 2020 Trends, Growth Opportunities, Demand, Application, Top Companies and... - June 1st, 2020
- IndyCar drivers prepare to enter a 'new world' of racing when the season resumes June 6 at Texas Motor Speedway - The Dallas Morning News - June 1st, 2020
- Work begins on Hong Kong rail extension - The Construction Index - June 1st, 2020
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Along With Covid-19 Impact Analysis and Industry Outlook 2020-2026 by Magstim , MagVenture ,... - June 1st, 2020
- Alpega's Freight Exchange, Teleroute, launches an API interface and a new mobile App to help their increasing number of customers work even more... - June 1st, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market Recent Trends and Developments, Challenges and Opportunities, key drivers and Restraints over the... - May 24th, 2020
- Hilton TMs Save Life of Guest Suffering Heart Attack - Franchising.com - May 24th, 2020
- UltraShipTMS Partners with LeanSwift to Deliver TMS Solutions to Shippers Using Infor M3 ERP - PR Web - May 24th, 2020
- COVID-19: Responding to the business impacts of Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020: Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends,... - May 24th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 Talent Management Software (TMS) Market Rising Trends and Global Outlook (2020 To 2027) - Latest Herald - May 4th, 2020
- From the First Message to the Last Mile, BluJay's Latest Software Releases Improve Complex Logistics - DC Velocity - May 4th, 2020
- GlobalTranz Recognized as Top Ten Freight Brokerage for a Third Consecutive Year by Transport Topics - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2020
- Texas Motor Speedway is hosting high school graduations for the class of 2020 - CNN - May 4th, 2020
- Texas Motor Speedway to host HS graduation ceremonies - RACER - May 4th, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Size by Top Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Outlook and Forecasts to 2026 - Latest... - May 4th, 2020
- These Analysts Think Greenbrook TMS Inc.s (TSE:GTMS) Sales Are Under Threat - Simply Wall St - May 4th, 2020
- Pokmon GOs Elite TMs Arrive And Shake Up The Meta Movesets - TheGamer - May 4th, 2020
- Powerful Optimization Tool from MercuryGate Uniquely Supports the Transportation Industrys Demand to Drive a Disrupted Supply Chain - Yahoo Finance - April 11th, 2020
- Powerful Optimization Tool from MercuryGate Uniquely Supports the Transportation Industry's Demand to Drive a Disrupted Supply Chain - Business Wire - April 9th, 2020
- Alpega TMS Brings Together the Expertise of inet and Transwide - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2020
- The Remedy Is Now Offering Deep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (Deep TMS) Therapy to Treat Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) and Obsessive-Compulsive... - April 9th, 2020
- Time To Worry? One Analyst Just Downgraded Their EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP) Outlook - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2020
- Valiant latest Canadian supplier to add to arsenal of health, free of charge - Automotive News Canada - April 9th, 2020
- No interest in Texas IndyCar race without fans - The Union Journal - April 9th, 2020
- Can EDAP TMS S.A.'s (NASDAQ:EDAP) ROE Continue To Surpass The Industry Average? - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2020
- EKA Solutions Announces TMS Offer for Brokers to Operate their Business Entirely Remotely - The Herald Journal - March 31st, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce Fourth Quarter and Year Ended December 31, 2019 Financial Results on Monday, March 30, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2020
- Jeremy Hudson Named to the 2020 Food Logistics Champions: Rock Stars of the Supply Chain - Benzinga - March 31st, 2020
- Production Team TMS on the Unlikely Success of 'Someone You Loved' - Billboard - March 24th, 2020
- BrainsWay Reports Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2019 Financial Results and Operational Highlights - Yahoo Finance - March 24th, 2020
- VIDEO: What is TMS-65U? Soviet-era MiG-15 fighter jet engine powered special vehicle deployed by Russia to battle coronavirus in Italy - International... - March 24th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of BRIN.TA earnings conference call or presentation 23-Mar-20 12:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - March 24th, 2020
- A Drive To Investigate: Full Genesect Special Research Tasks, Steps And Rewards In Pokmon GO - Forbes - March 24th, 2020
- The Transportation Management System (TMS) MARKET is expected to grow by USD 1.62 bn during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of 9% during the forecast... - March 5th, 2020
- GO Battle League Season 1: Everything You Need to Know - Pokemon GO Hub - March 5th, 2020
- Pokemon Go Elite TMs and How to Get the Best Use out of Them - Future Game Releases - March 5th, 2020
- Massive growth of Preservation TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2025 with high CAGR In Coming Years with Focusing Key players like... - March 5th, 2020
- Lindsay Luetje goes above and beyond as Telstar dean - Lewiston Sun Journal - March 5th, 2020
- What Is A Game Localization System And What Can It Do For You? [Part 1] - Gamasutra - March 5th, 2020
- BrainsWay to Participate in Upcoming Investor Conferences - Yahoo Finance - March 5th, 2020
- Make Your Workflow Smooth and Effective! This New System is the Key - Slator - February 29th, 2020
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil to Reap Excessive Revenues by 2019-2025 - Jewish Life News - February 29th, 2020
- San Francisco Bay Area Psychiatric Acquisition Will Increase Access to Advanced Care - Benzinga - February 29th, 2020
- Clean Energy appoints Total S.A. executive to board of directors - LNG Industry - February 29th, 2020
- Before You Buy EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP), Consider Its Volatility - Simply Wall St - February 29th, 2020
- Troy 30-C coach named 2020 Distinguished Middle School Coach of the Year - The Herald-News - February 29th, 2020
- Global Truckmount Carpet Cleaner Market Size Is Anticipated To Witness Over XX% CAGR Up To 2024 TMS Cleaning Supplies & Equipment, Aero Tech... - February 29th, 2020
- TMS individual race tickets officially on sale - Speedway Digest - January 18th, 2020
- MGR songs stay fresh even today thanks to TMS - News Today - January 18th, 2020
- Global Supply Chain Management Software Market 2020-2024 | 11% CAGR Projection Over the Next Five Years | Technavio - Yahoo Finance - January 18th, 2020
- The Masked Singers Davina McCall Reveals Upcoming Surprises On The Show! [VIDEO] - Talent Recap - January 18th, 2020
- The Morning Show and life after #MeToo - The Hindu - January 18th, 2020
- Trimble to Acquire Kuebix in effort to create a transportation logistics ecosystem - The Trucker - January 18th, 2020
- Psychiatrist to shutter outpatient practice - The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel - December 13th, 2019
- Toys for Tots Greenbrook TMS Therapy Black Cat 2 1 - Connecting Vets - December 13th, 2019
- Transformer Monitoring Systems Market Analysis of Market Future Trends and Technological Improvements 2024 - The Market Expedition - December 13th, 2019
- When Should You Buy EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP)? - Simply Wall St - December 13th, 2019
- How junk food shapes the developing teenage brain - The Conversation CA - December 13th, 2019
- Bidvest Waltons delivers on its promise after subscribing to Picup's TMS solution - Intelligent CIO Africa - November 30th, 2019
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Report by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application Forecast 2019 - 2025 - Statsflash - November 30th, 2019
- Pokmon: 10 Mechanics Introduced In Gen I That Are Missing Today - TheGamer - November 30th, 2019
- Wizz Air Selects Fox as their TMS of Choice - AviationPros.com - November 26th, 2019
- Pokmon Sword and Shield TMs: locations list for where to find every TM in Galar - Eurogamer.net - November 26th, 2019
- Overhauling the Pokemon GO TM System | Pokemon GO Wiki - GamePress - November 26th, 2019
- Pokemon Sword & Shield: All TMs & Where to Find Them - Twinfinite - November 26th, 2019
- Global Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Breakaway Trends - November 26th, 2019
- Massive Growth in Talent Management Software Market Opportunities and Forecast, 2019-2024 - Market Report Gazette - November 26th, 2019
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2019 by Industry Volume, Share, Trends, Opportunities, Types, Product Analysis, Applications and... - November 26th, 2019
- Pokmon Sword and Shield guide: Where to find and buy TMs - Polygon - November 23rd, 2019
- Behind The Scenes With Laurence Fishburne Discusses TMS Treatments For Depression - PR Web - November 23rd, 2019
- A Big Thanks for all the Positive School Programs - NewportNow - November 23rd, 2019
- Pokemon Sword and Shield - Where to Buy TMs - Attack of the Fanboy - November 23rd, 2019
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Thankful for community support at Thompson - newportri.com - November 23rd, 2019
- Talent Management Software (TMS) Market 2019- Global Industry Analysis, By Key Players, Segmentation, Application, Demand And Forecast By 2024 - Hitz... - November 23rd, 2019
- Live Entertainment and Events in Texarkana November 22nd ~ 23rd - TXK Today - November 23rd, 2019
- TMS Lady Wildcats take fifth in Murfreesboro | Local Sports - Tullahoma News and Guardian - September 18th, 2019
- Trimble Debuts Continued Enhancements to its TMW.Suite, TruckMate and Innovative IES TMS Solutions New Products and Services - DC Velocity - September 18th, 2019