Bitcoin has a fungibility issue; it is transparent, which can be both good and bad. Transparency allows everyone to check how many bitcoin are in circulation and to ensure that nobody is cheating.
But it also allows bad actors (such as governments) to monitor the chain and compromise users' privacy.
When a new user buys bitcoin using a regulated, know your customer (KYC) exchange, his information (including Bitcoin address, government ID and other identifying information) is being provided to his local government. This information allows them to view the activity of his wallet, since his coins are linked to his identity. It also allows easier seizure in case of a government ban on bitcoin.
This is obviously dangerous, especially if you live under an authoritarian government. There are options available for buying bitcoin without revealing your identity and compromising your privacy, but those are less popular and are usually harder to follow.
This calls for a privacy standard in Bitcoin: Where a majority of wallets enable privacy features by default, making it much harder for chain analysis firms to link transactions and wallets to real-life identities and/or previous transactions. Users must make sure each and every one of our transactions are private. This can be achieved by utilizing tools like CoinJoins, PayJoins and other privacy enhancing techniques. While these tools are no silver bullet, using them in the right way can allow users to achieve a remarkable amount of privacy. Stealth addresses also have an important role in the privacy standard, as they allow users to share their addresses without needing to worry about them being linked to their digital or physical identity. Running your own node will also play an important part, dramatically reducing the possibility that a node will be used to link your transaction history to your real-life IP address, which can be used to deanonymize your transactions.
If we are able to do that, we will be able to disarm chain analysis companies. Chain analysis firms specialize in invading Bitcoin users' privacy. They do it using publicly available on-chain data and then cross reference it with other data, such as KYC records, in order to establish a deterministic link between a user's wallet activity and his real-life identity.
The worst thing about those companies is that they don't work exclusively for governments, they work with whoever is willing to pay them. Whether it's a government, advertising company or a creepy stalker, it doesn't matter to them. Those companies are pure poison for Bitcoin and are completely unnecessary in the Bitcoin ecosystem; they only bring harm and suffering to it.
There are plenty of users that are targeted by these companies simply because they stated they hate the idea of chain surveillance; a good example for this would be DarkDotFail's donation address being flagged in multiple exchanges that have a partnership with these companies. Chain surveillance is not about money laundering, crime or any other illegal activity, it's about creating an age where nobody has the right to keep their finances private. A Bitcoin privacy standard aims to kill these purely evil companies; but this requires the Bitcoin community to come together, put the ego aside and work together to create, use and promote tools that will enable this effort.
The hardest part of standardizing Bitcoin privacy would be making people acknowledge Bitcoin's faults when it comes to privacy. Many will just avoid talking about it, and some don't even know it exists! Creating such a standard would require large community consensus, not because we need to change the protocol, but because we need to make people acknowledge the fact that their privacy is being compromised. A privacy standard would also discourage discrimination against those who want to keep their bitcoin finances private (see this post).
They can censor a minority but not a majority.
We need more wallets like this, and more enthusiasm toward building and using Bitcoin privacy tools. Number-go-up is not all that matters in this peaceful revolution; privacy matters too.
This is a guest post by Yonatan. Opinions expressed are entirely their own and do not necessarily reflect those of BTC, Inc. or Bitcoin Magazine.
Read the original here:
A Privacy Standard In Bitcoin, And How It Will Protect Bitcoin Users - Bitcoin Magazine
- If you're thinking about investing in bitcoin, consider these risks first If you've gotten - CNBC - June 6th, 2021
- Elon Musk has been dragging Bitcoin where it dreaded to go - Mint - June 6th, 2021
- Square will invest $5 million to build solar-powered bitcoin mining facility - The Verge - June 6th, 2021
- We Own Our Money': Bitcoin Conference In Miami Is The Biggest Yet - NBC 6 South Florida - June 6th, 2021
- Bitcoin falls on fear of Weibo suspending some crypto accounts - Economic Times - June 6th, 2021
- Why Bitcoins wild ride bodes well for the future of digital cash - Business Standard - June 6th, 2021
- View: Elon Musk is pulling Bitcoin where it loathed to go - Economic Times - June 6th, 2021
- Few, if any, financial advisers expected to recommend bitcoin and dogecoin to clients --- here's how many now suggest buying crypto - MarketWatch - June 6th, 2021
- (BTC USD) Bitcoin, Crypto Unlikely to Escape Regulation: Riksbank Governor - Bloomberg - June 6th, 2021
- The real price of the bitcoin gold rush - Finextra - Finextra - Finextra - Finextra - May 14th, 2021
- Bitcoin Isn't Behaving as an Inflation Hedge. Its Move Still Makes Sense - Bloomberg - May 14th, 2021
- ETF Wrap: Is a new 'crypto' fund the long-awaited bitcoin ETF in disguise - MarketWatch - May 14th, 2021
- Here's How Much Square Is Relying on Bitcoin - Motley Fool - May 14th, 2021
- Brex Partners With TravelBank To Launch Bitcoin And Ether Rewards Program For Businesses - Forbes - May 14th, 2021
- Australian man Craig Wright who says he created bitcoin takes 4bn claim to London high court - The Guardian - May 14th, 2021
- SEC Warns of Bitcoin Futures Risks in Mutual Fund Investments - Bloomberg - May 14th, 2021
- Will We Have a Bitcoin ETF This Year - Bloomberg - May 14th, 2021
- If Bitcoin Doesnt Rally Soon The Selloff Will Be Devastating - Forbes - May 11th, 2021
- Bitcoin SV: The Original Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- Is There A Bitcoin Supply Shortage? - Bitcoin Magazine - May 11th, 2021
- This bitcoin misconception could be what takes it to $250,000, according to Morgan Creeks Yusko - CNBC - May 11th, 2021
- Factbox: Bitcoin's march towards the mainstream - Reuters - May 11th, 2021
- Crypto This Week: Mark Zuckerberg Names His Goat Bitcoin and Dogecoin Goes to the Moon - TheStreet - May 11th, 2021
- CME says more than 100000 micro bitcoin futures traded in first six days - Reuters - May 11th, 2021
- Why Some Money Experts Believe In Bitcoin and Others Dont - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2021
- Dogelon Mars, Shiba Inu and Dogecoin take the lead as Bitcoin consolidates - Cointelegraph - May 11th, 2021
- My dad wants to invest in Bitcoin. Should he? - NJ.com - May 11th, 2021
- Bitcoin vs. Ethereum: 10 experts told us which asset they'd rather hold, and why - Markets Insider - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC USD) Cryptocurrency Price: Bank of England Warns of Full Losses - Bloomberg - May 9th, 2021
- SEC Chairman Gary Gensler says more investor protections are needed for bitcoin and crypto markets - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Forget Bitcoin: Here are The Crypto Assets To Follow - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- Should you invest in Bitcoin or Ether? - The National - May 9th, 2021
- Downtown Josh Brown on bitcoin and wealth management - The Block Crypto - May 9th, 2021
- Mark Cuban: The 3 ways Ethereum 'dwarfs' bitcoin - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Metromile Will Embrace Bitcoin For Insurance Premium And Claim Payments - Forbes - May 9th, 2021
- FBI: Knoxville man paid hitman in Bitcoin to kill his wife - WATE 6 On Your Side - May 9th, 2021
- S&P Dow Jones brings bitcoin, ethereum to Wall St with cryptocurrency indexes - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin Association releases 2020 annual report highlighting work and achievements advancing Bitcoin SV - GlobeNewswire - May 9th, 2021
- S&P Dow Jones brings bitcoin, ethereum to Wall St with cryptocurrency indexes - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2021
- 3 reasons why Bitcoin is on shaky ground after failing to retake $60K - Cointelegraph - May 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC) Attempts to Create Higher Low After Rejection - Yahoo Finance - May 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin Association releases 2020 annual report highlighting work and achievements advancing Bitcoin SV - WFMZ Allentown - May 4th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Clamor: Paying Employees in Bitcoin Has Reached the Mainstream - JD Supra - May 4th, 2021
- More Than 1600 Participate In Mays Innovation Research Center Bitcoin Conference - Texas A&M Today - Texas A&M University Today - May 4th, 2021
- Bitcoin Rebounds After Hitting Lowest Level Since March - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Crypto Dominance Declines as Ether Soars Past $3,000 - Bloomberg - May 3rd, 2021
- If You Bought $1,000 Worth of Bitcoin a Year Ago, Here's How Much You'd Have Today - The Motley Fool - May 3rd, 2021
- Charlie Munger 'hates' bitcoin's rise: 'disgusting and contrary to interests of civilization' - MarketWatch - May 3rd, 2021
- Will Bitcoin replace gold as the ultimate store of wealth? - ABC News - May 3rd, 2021
- Leak Reveals Millions Of PayPal And Robinhood Bitcoin Buyers May Soon Want To Make A Surprising Switch Amid Bitcoin Price Mania - Forbes - May 3rd, 2021
- Digital currency ether hits a record high, stealing bitcoin's limelight - CNBC - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Crash vs. Correction: Do You Know the Difference? - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2021
- Why Care About Bitcoin? Here's One Philosopher's Take - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Is Number One Pick Asset Manager Confident BTC Will Take Him 'to the Top' in Stock Draft Competition Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Taproot Upgrade Has Started Its Speedy Trial - CoinDesk - May 3rd, 2021
- Feds arrest founder of bitcoin mixer they say laundered $335 million over ten years - The Verge - May 3rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Illuminates Inflation In The Fog - Bitcoin Magazine - May 3rd, 2021
- Tesla Reports Record Earnings, With More Than A Bit Of Help From Bitcoin - NPR - May 3rd, 2021
- UBS Chief Economist Says 'Bitcoin Is Denied to Minority Groups Who Have Reduced Online Access' News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 3rd, 2021
- Ether Should Outperform Bitcoin Over the Long Run, Says JPMorgan - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2021
- 19 Stocks With Exposure to Bitcoin - Barron's - May 3rd, 2021
- Mila Kunis warned Ashton Kutcher against investing in Uber and Bitcoin - Insider - May 3rd, 2021
- Over $200 billion wiped off cryptocurrency market in a day as bitcoin plunges below $50,000 - CNBC - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin drops below $50,000, dented in part by rising U.S. tax worries - MarketWatch - April 23rd, 2021
- Behind Bitcoins Recent Slide: Imploding Bets and Forced Liquidations - The Wall Street Journal - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin bears are stalking crypto prices --- here's how low they could go - MarketWatch - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin is at its lowest level in nearly a month. 2 experts explain why they see more weakness ahead. - Markets Insider - April 23rd, 2021
- First Mideast Bitcoin ETF Aims to Raise More Than $200 Million - Bloomberg - April 23rd, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is Making Its Way onto the Balance Sheet - ETF Trends - April 23rd, 2021
- Women Step Up Trading in Bitcoin, Other Cryptocurrencies - The Wall Street Journal - April 23rd, 2021
- Here's where you can shop with Bitcoin and other crypto - Yahoo Money - April 23rd, 2021
- Why is ethereum on a tear of late, outperforming bitcoin? - Mint - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin Association appoints new ambassadors for Japan and the South Pacific to advance Bitcoin SV - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Dogecoin Falls Below 20 Cents, Bitcoin Below $50K Amid Wide Sell-Off, But These Two Cryptos Are On A Run Today - Benzinga - April 23rd, 2021
- UK to explore issuing its own digital currency amid bitcoin boom - CNBC - April 23rd, 2021
- Bill Gates betting on total collapse of Bitcoin as cryptocurrency slumps: Analysts - Republic TV - April 23rd, 2021
- JPMorgan warns of bitcoin weakness as futures get liquidated - Economic Times - April 23rd, 2021
- Bitcoin rally this year is the start of going mainstream, not a bubble, says investor Bill Miller - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- After a wild weekend, bitcoin could take a breather before the next move higher - CNBC - April 21st, 2021
- Bitcoin's sell-off by the numbers: Oppenheimer puts the latest drop into perspective - CNBC - April 21st, 2021