Most people arent going anywhere this winterthat much is certain. But as we inch toward the one-year anniversary of the pandemic that changed our lives, its fun to dream about the places we want to go the moment things finally start returning to normal. Are you ready to come along for the ride?
Let your imagination run wild with this list of 2021s must-visit destinations, including Egypt. / Photo by Alison Wright/Getty Images
If theres any place in the world that loves to do things over the top, its this Mediterranean micro-state, the capital of mega-yachts, billionaires, high-stakes gambling, and all that glitters. For 2021, Monaco plans to make history by hosting not just its famed Grand Prix motor race in May, but three consecutive confetti-filled, champagne-drenched events. Not the car-racing type? Consider visiting in July or August for Monaco Art en Ciel, an internationally recognized fireworks festival. Just be sure to pack your black-tie attire and leave time for a round of roulette at the Monte Carlo Casino.
Numerous airlines have connecting flights from Boston to Nice; its then a 30-minute drive from the airport to Monaco. But we suggest leaning into the adventure and booking a Monacair helicopter transfer for 130 euros per person for the real 007 experience.
Book a room at the Htel Metropole and youll have exclusive access to the Metropole restaurant and terrace, with views of the only downhill stretch of the circuit. For a quieter seaside respite, try the Monte-Carlo Beach Hotel, located on its own private waterfront but only a short walk from the action.
History, art, architecture, and culture collide in spectacular fashion in Venice. / Photo by Paulina Stopka/Getty Images
This is itthis is the year you book that trip to Venice. With climate change and rising sea levels, you might not get another chance. When you do finally get there, youll see that the floating city isnt just about gelato cafs, gondola rides, and centuries worth of Italian arte classicaits also a haven for architecture buffs, who have studied it for decades. This year Venice will offer its Biennale Architettura 2021, an immersive citywide exhibition of conceptual displays put on by the worlds most interesting builders and thinkers between April and November. When youre not picking up some design inspo to bring back home, consider venturing beyond the famous city to take in the mountains, lakes, and fresh air of the breathtakingly beautiful Veneto region.
Alitalia has a convenient overnight nonstop from Logan to Rome-Fiumicino that takes less than eight hours. From there its a painless one-hour connection onward to the City of Bridges.
Its all about the iconic Gritti Palace, a 500-year-old former noblemans house turned luxury hotel. Ask to stay in Ernest Hemingways favorite suite so you can wake up to the sounds of the Grand Canal lapping below.
Theres no wrong time of year to visit Botswana. / Photo by Michael Kuhlmann/EYEEM/Getty Images
Lets face it: The most exotic animals youve probably seen recently are the chipmunks and squirrels in your own backyard. Could there be a better time, then, to check a safari off your travel bucket list? While South Africa and Kenya are the obvious destinations for first-time Africa visitors, travel insiders know Botswana to be something of a hidden gem: The camps are luxurious and private (Prince Harry has been known to favor Meno a Kwena on the Boteti River), the crowds are sparse, and the wildlife is sublime. Head to the Okavango Delta or Makgadikgadi Salt Pans between June and October, and youll be rewarded with herds of elephants playing on riverbanks and more than a few lazy lions lounging in the sun.
Its not a particularly quick or direct trip, but flying 12 hours on Qatar Airways from Boston to Doha, then grabbing a connection onward to Gaborone, makes the ride comfortable.
Long-standing favorite Jacks Camp just got a total rebuild but still has the antique furniture, jacquard-flap tents, and 1940s vibes that its fans adore. Traveling with the brood in tow? Check out the brand-new Xigera Safari Lodge, which features a two-bedroom family suite.
Soak up the sun and some dry desert heat in Palm Springs. / Photo via Westend61/Getty Images
The desert is looking particularly hot this year. Long a must-visit for enthusiasts of midcentury architecture (and those looking to escape Bostons frigid winters), Palm Springs is upping its cultural cred in 2021 with several distinctive experiences. First, the internationally acclaimed biennial art exhibition Desert X returns this February through April 11, letting visitors experience the unique landscape in a new way through site-specific outdoor art installations. Second, the Agua Caliente Cultural Museum, opening this year, offers a glimpse into the rich history of the regions Cahuilla people.
And finally, July brings the debut of Palm Springs Surf Club, a recreational epicenter created by pro surfers and featuring an enormous wave pool that lets you hang 10 surrounded by views of sand dunes and mountains.
Hop on JetBlues direct flight from Logan and youll be basking in the California sunshine in just over six hours.
The 29-room Casa Cody, Palm Springs oldest operating hotel, just reopened following a full renovation (and still has one of the best locations in town, just steps from the Palm Springs Art Museum). Book the Olympic Cottage, which housed athletes during the Los Angeles 1932 Summer Olympics.
Belize is truly a choose-your-own-adventure destination, whether you prefer exploring or posting up on the beach with a frosty cocktail. / Photo via Thpstock/Getty Images
It might be the size of New Hampshire, but this small Caribbean nation teems with adventure at every turnmaking it the ideal escape for those whose quarantine was painfully sedentary. Explore long-forgotten Mayan ruins hidden in the jungle; hike to a waterfall in Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary, the only jaguar reserve on earth; swim with friendly nurse sharks in the North Islands; and sample some of the best tacos in the world at the Orange Walk taco festival this November. It says a lot about the destination that its miles and miles of unspoiled white-sand beaches are somehow the least interesting reason to visitbut dont get us wrong, after so much exploration, youll definitely want to set aside at least a few days to recover beachside with a rum punch in hand.
A connecting flight through Atlanta on Delta gets you to paradise in under seven hours.
No need to vie for beach chairs or fight over restaurant reservations when theres nobody else aroundprivate island Cayo Espanto offers seven secluded beach villas, so you can go your entire stay without seeing another guest. For easier access to Belizes activities and attractions, check out the brand-new Alaia Belize, Autograph Collection opening in March.
Egypts temples, tombs, and mummies have attracted visitors for millennia. / Nick Brundle Photography/Getty Images
Its been at the crossroads of the world for centuriesand thanks to recent investments in preserving the areas iconic architecture and artifacts, itll continue to be for years to come. Start your Indiana Jones adventure in Cairo, where the government just last year unveiled a $6 million, 14-year restoration of Pharaoh Djosers stepped pyramidthe oldest colossal stone structure in Egypt, dating to the 27th century BC. Then continue on to the Grand Egyptian Museum in Giza, which will be the largest archaeological museum in the world when it opens its doors this spring, with many pieces on display for the first time. After youve explored the pyramids and museums in the Greater Cairo area, hop on a quick flight to Aswan in the countrys arid southern region, where youll find Egypts greatest hits of tombs and temples.
You can connect through New York or Europe on numerous airlines, but a 12-hour Emirates flight to Dubai ensures youll have a restful overnight leg before transferring to Cairo.
The Sofitel Cairo Nile El Gezirah is centrally located and features an extraordinary infinity pool overlooking the Nile. If Nile cruises are up and running when you visit, consider the Steamship Sudanthe last remaining belle poque vessel of its kind on the river.
What Tofinos waters lack in warmth, they make up for with gnarly waves. / Photo by Manuel Sulzer/Getty Images
After a year of being stuck at home, were all itching to explore uncharted territory. Enter the village of Tofino, British Columbia: Nestled on the west coast of Vancouver Island, the remote destination is a nature lovers paradise where fishermen, surfers, and posh Vancouver weekenders live in harmony with the elementsall of them. Given that there isnt much between here and Japan except a few thousand miles of open North Pacific, when a storm rolls in during the off-season, its truly a spectacle to behold. When youre not exploring, try snagging a table at the award-winning Wolf in the Fog, where chef Nick Nuttings potato-crusted local oysters with apple and truffle oil attract foodies from around the world.
Youll have to hop, skip, and jump your way across our neighbor to the north on Air Canada or WestJet, but once you arrive in Victoria or Vancouver, BC, its a quick 45-minute flight on Pacific Coastal Airlines to Tofino, or a scenic drive across the heart of the island.
Each room at hotelier Charles McDiarmids luxurious Wickaninnish Inn comes with a soaking tub, fireplace, and picture window to experience Tofinos famous storms from the comfort of your roomas well as a rain slicker and boots in the closet if you feel like braving the weather outdoors.
Deep powder, Rocky Mountain views, luxurious hotels, a picturesque townthis is a winter destination that both die-hard skiers and die-hard lodge bunnies can get behind. / Jeff R. Clow/Getty Images
Leave the aprs-ski crowds in Aspen and the congested lift lines in Vailsocial distancing is the name of the game in this charming ski village, which boasts some of the tallest lift-accessed vertical drops and biggest skiable acreage on the continent. Hit the slopes and youll see why many pro skiers keep coming back season after season to the quaint Wyoming hideaway, where the terrain offers everything from beginner hills to the gnarliest of the gnar. Traveling with lodge bunnies, or perhaps your quads need a break for the day? Grand Teton and Yellowstone national parks make for a scenic daylong road trip.
Connect through Chicago, Minneapolis, or Salt Lake Cityand keep an eye out for the Jackson Chamber of Commerces customary glass of bubbly (currently on hiatus due to COVID) upon arrival.
Pull out all the stops and book a suite at the over-the-top Caldera House, a swanky ski-in, ski-out hotel with an in-house ski shop. Grab a drink at the guests- and members-only bar, and chances are youll run into slope stars like Bode Miller.
Close enough for a road trip but far enough to feel totally new, Charlottesville offers a winning combination of history, culture, food, and wine that any Bostonian would find well worth the journey. / Photo by Thatree Thitivongvaroon/Getty Images
Calling all vino lovers: If youre tired of staring at the same bottles but arent ready to fly all the way to Bordeaux to upgrade your stash, a road trip from Massachusetts down to the other commonwealth is an equally transportiveand intoxicatingexperience. C-ville has history, restaurants, and the University of Virginia, but its also located in the center of the Monticello American Viticultural Area, where Thomas Jefferson famously claimed the U.S. could produce as great a variety of wines as are made in Europe. There are more than 30 stops along the Monticello Wine Trail, each with its own distinctly American history to explore. And with tourism here a fraction of what youll find at wineries in California or Europe, you wont have to worry about crowds as you savor cabernet franc amid views of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
The trip can be done in just under nine hours by car, or its a quick flight to Richmond, Virginia, and then a one-hour drive.
Take a break from sipping and swirling at the year-old Quirk Hotel, the first boutique property to open downtown. Or unwind in the countryside at the Keswick Resort, which reopens this year after a complete renovationand with chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten overseeing all of the culinary operations.
Old meets new, city meets naturenowhere else does these things like Japan. Even if youre not going for the Olympics, there is still a lifetime of exploration to find here. / Photo by Carrie Huang/EYEEM/Getty Images
After a one-year COVID delay, its all eyes on Tokyo for the Summer Games of the XXXII Olympiad. If you arent lucky enough to score tickets to the Games themselves, there are still plenty of reasons to visit right now, from sampling Japanese whiskey at one of the citys hidden speakeasies to creating unforgettable Instagram posts among the otherworldly dots and immersive installations at the Yayoi Kusama Museum. Even just standing at Shibuya Crossing during rush hour and watching hundreds of pedestrians scramble-cross the intersection is worthwhilebecause after the most chaotic of years, seeing something so large have such order is sure to be an unexpectedly comforting experience.
It may be on the other side of the planet, but at least you dont need to make a connection: Japan Airlines offers a 14-hour direct flight from Logan to Narita International Airport.
An urban oasis in the heart of downtown, Hoshinoya Tokyo puts a deeply luxurious spin on the traditional ryokan, with an all-inclusive two-night, three-day relaxation program complete with spa treatments, deep-breathing exercises, hot-spring bathing, and immune-boosting fermented Japanese cuisine.
- WATCH: The R1.8m-a-night private island that Melinda Gates rented during divorce - CapeTown ETC - May 9th, 2021
- What you need to know if you are thinking of cruising this summer - Sunbury Daily Item - May 9th, 2021
- Maldives imposes night curfew after steep jump in COVID-19 infections - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Canary Islands Startup To Be Called Latittude Hub - Simple Flying - May 9th, 2021
- The 6 Best Glamping Destinations To Enjoy Nature With Luxury Amenities - The Manual - May 9th, 2021
- Inside the vintage school bus that's one of Kent's most unique Airbnbs - Kent Live - May 9th, 2021
- What you need to know about the coronavirus right now - Gibraltar Chronicle - May 9th, 2021
- J. Prince Appears to Have Bought His Own Private Island: 'They Said It Couldn't Be Done' - Complex - April 19th, 2021
- You can rent an entire private island in Ireland with your mates for 40pppn including a bar, sauna and h... - The Sun - April 19th, 2021
- This Country Wants You To Visit So Badly, Itll Give You A Covid Vaccine - Forbes - April 19th, 2021
- How the Lush Caribbean Island of Dominica Became a Superyacht Haven - Robb Report - April 19th, 2021
- Where Is the MSC Fleet of Cruise Ships? - Cruise Industry News - April 19th, 2021
- Prince Philip funeral: Prince Harry, Andrew have awkward reunion - Insider - April 19th, 2021
- Russia explores the world-class surf spots of Kuril Islands - SurferToday - April 19th, 2021
- Whos who in House of Gucci, the new crime and fashion saga - Metro US - April 19th, 2021
- The Hottest Features The Rich Are Craving For Their Next Home - NDTV - April 19th, 2021
- Fodors names Georgia island among nations best to visit - WSB Atlanta - April 19th, 2021
- The private islands you can rent in France, Spain and Greece from just 12pp a night... - The Sun - April 2nd, 2021
- A New Private-Island Resort in the US Virgin Islands - Caribbean Journal - April 2nd, 2021
- Immunity pods of family and friends start to venture out on private vaxications - The Boston Globe - April 2nd, 2021
- Security escorts, chartered planes, Rolls-Royces: Inside the luxe tours of FlyEast Philippines - TTG Asia - April 2nd, 2021
- Private Plane Vacation Packages Are the Big New Thing in Resort Travel - InsideHook - April 2nd, 2021
- Your Own Private Island in Tahiti Is Only a Flight Away - Locale Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Thanks Emergency Services, NHS And Armed Forces With UK Homecoming, Set For This Summer - KPVI News 6 - March 31st, 2021
- Milgate to lead Velaa Private Island in the Maldives - Breaking Travel News - March 31st, 2021
- Secret Mediterranean: where to stay on the best hidden islands - Telegraph.co.uk - March 31st, 2021
- Staycation in Scotland: 6 remote and beautiful Scottish Island escapes - HeraldScotland - March 31st, 2021
- Ghislaine Maxwell Faces Two New Trafficking Charges, Raising Pressure On Prince Andrew And Others Listed In Jeffrey Epsteins Little Black Book -... - March 31st, 2021
- Best resorts in the San Juan Islands - seattlepi.com - March 31st, 2021
- 7 Successful Celebrity Investors | TheRichest - TheRichest - March 31st, 2021
- How the spending habits of Singapore's rich changed in the pandemic - Insider - March 31st, 2021
- NBA's Kevin Love & Model Kate Bock Share What They Eat on "Vegan - The Beet - March 31st, 2021
- Richard Branson Is Opening His Caribbean Private Island to the Public This Summer - Observer - March 25th, 2021
- The stunning private islands that cost less than the price of a two-bed flat in England... - The Sun - March 25th, 2021
- Stunning private islands cheaper than average 2-bedroom home in the UK - Daily Star - March 25th, 2021
- This $1.1 million island in Quebec is for sale (PHOTOS) | Urbanized - Daily Hive - March 25th, 2021
- Private island for sale in BC costs less than the average Vancouver home | Urbanized - Daily Hive - March 25th, 2021
- Escape to Figure Eight - Greater Wilmington Business Journal - March 25th, 2021
- Coral Restoration And Why You Should Choose Hotels That Support It - Forbes - March 25th, 2021
- Chance to make a moo-ve on West Calf island - Southern Star Newspaper - March 25th, 2021
- Remains of SoCal Marine Arrive Home Nearly 77 Years After He Was Killed in World War II - NBC Southern California - March 25th, 2021
- What it's Like to Live on a Remote Island in Indonesia During a Pandemic - Fodor's Travel - March 25th, 2021
- Puerto Rico awarded $900M to help boost islands education - The Boston Globe - March 25th, 2021
- World Rugby to help Pacific Island teams join Super Rugby in 2022 - ESPN - March 25th, 2021
- This entire Quebec island is on the market for $1.8 million (PHOTOS) | Urbanized - Daily Hive - March 21st, 2021
- "Vaxication" In The Maldives: What To Know About Vaccine Tourism - Tatler Malaysia - March 21st, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Readies Cruises to the Bahamas and Mexico for June - Vanity Fair - March 21st, 2021
- Here's How To Plan The Maldives Trip Of Your Post-Quarantine Dreams - Essence - March 21st, 2021
- Happy Birthday Animal Crossing New Horizons! Year In Review For A Hall Of Fame Classic - Hot Hardware - March 21st, 2021
- 'Vaxication' in the Maldives: What to Know About Vaccine Tourism - Tatler Singapore - March 21st, 2021
- The Most Popular Place to Visit the Channel Islands National Park has reopened for recreation The Log - The Log Newspaper - March 21st, 2021
- Island Real Estate | Properties for Sale and Rent on Islands - January 25th, 2021
- Private Islands Online Australia - January 25th, 2021
- Travel Megatrends 2025: Cruise Lines Take Refuge in Their Private Islands - Skift - January 25th, 2021
- MSC Grandiosa to Resume Cruising Southern Europe on January 24 - Cruise Radio - January 25th, 2021
- British Virgin Islands at a crossroads as outgoing governor decries corruption - The Guardian - January 25th, 2021
- The Islands of Rockport spotlights modern luxury (Sponsored) - Chron - January 25th, 2021
- I explore a new beach every day: How the one per cent are doing Lockdown 3 - Telegraph.co.uk - January 25th, 2021
- Join Kevin McCloud in Italy and ride the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express - Countryliving (UK) - January 25th, 2021
- Here's what it costs to book Disneys new cruises to Antarctica and the Galapagos Islands - CNBC - January 25th, 2021
- Yes, more money will always make your life better, but thats not all there is to happiness, says new study - ZME Science - January 25th, 2021
- Castaway Cay is Hiring! What This Could Mean For Disney Cruise Line - Inside the Magic - January 9th, 2021
- Unique Escapes in 2021 for Travelers Who Have Been Everywhere - Luxury Travel Magazine - January 9th, 2021
- Rebound Travel Technologies and The Rarotongan Resort Group Announce Strategic Partnership - PRNewswire - January 9th, 2021
- 4 great itineraries (and 1 to avoid) for a first cruise vacation - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 9th, 2021
- For heavily indebted small islands, resilience-building is the best antidote - UNCTAD - January 9th, 2021
- Top 10 Private Jet Destinations Around The World - Luxury Travel Magazine - January 9th, 2021
- Things I've done that I'll never do again on a Royal Caribbean cruise - Royal Caribbean Blog - January 9th, 2021
- Opinion: Thompson Island is supposed to be open to the public, but that isnt happening - The Patriot Ledger - January 9th, 2021
- Snapshot: private fund registration - what have we learnt? - Lexology - January 9th, 2021
- Sneak peek at Mackinac Islands Grand Hotel pool renovations: waterslide, cabanas, adults-only area - MLive.com - January 9th, 2021
- Verzuz's Virtual Return Shows Celebs Have Always Lived in Different Worlds - VICE - January 9th, 2021
- From Wealth TV to OAN - Rich Conservatives are Brainwashing the Country - City Watch - January 9th, 2021
- Tree pods and beach bedrooms: Social distancing in the Maldives - CNBC - November 26th, 2020
- Scrub Island Resort to re-open | Business | virginislandsdailynews.com - Virgin Islands Daily News - November 26th, 2020
- What Does the Future of Luxury Travel Look Like in a Post-Coronavirus World? - Luxury Travel Magazine - November 26th, 2020
- Private Jetaway Is Leading the Way to Cabo San Lucas With Luxury Vetted Holiday Travel Retreats - PRNewswire - November 26th, 2020
- Consumers are too lazy for The Truth about Amazon to really make a difference - iNews - November 26th, 2020
- Private islands, rather than ships, could make the difference in cruise rebound - TradeWinds - September 18th, 2020
- A private island off the coast of Ireland could be yours for 250,000 - The Spaces - September 18th, 2020