Nanotechnology is as compelling as it sounds: a field of research dedicated to building devices and materials at the molecular and atomic levels. At that dimension, materials behave differently. And in practical terms, nanotechnology could help increase manufacturing production while cutting costs. The stock market is keen to find the next biggest technology boom, with investors looking for nanotech stocks to buy.
That group includes many names in the semiconductor and industrial sectors. Companies that spent years researching developing nanotechnology-based solutions have huge return potential for investors. Some are familiar names, while others less so.
Here are seven companies that investors should look at today:
Source: Michael Vi / Shutterstock.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is a diagnostics and research firm with deep interests in material sciences. Its work in transmission electron microscopy and energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy will further its understanding of the textile industry. The company said that its nanotechnology studies will lead to adaptable clothing that repels stains, odors, and water.
Smartphones use transistors that are getting smaller and faster. And in medicine, nanoparticles will deliver next-generation drugs and vaccines.
In the third quarter, TMO advanced its cryo-EM for structural biology applications in its electron microscope business. Its new POROS Oligo resin is used to purify and isolate mRNA. Already, the development of mRNA-based vaccines and therapies reached a milestone. The distribution of novel coronavirus vaccines will increase the demand for mRNA production.
For 2020, TMO forecast revenue growing by 20% to around $30.5 billion. Its full-year adjusted earnings per share will increase by 48% to $18.27.
Chart courtesy of Stock Rover
The chart above shows TMO stocks strong quality and growth score. Its nanotech developments will only lift the companys growth prospects next year.
Source: dennizn / Shutterstock.com
Falling behind in the chip processors race for personal computers, Intel is not yet out of the race. The companys chief technology officer, Mike Mayberry, discussed its nanotech ambitions at the international VLSI conference.
Intel will use nanowire/nanoribbon transitions in volume in five years. That timeline will feel like an eternity, especially after the company announced delays in its next-generation chips. Still, these are considered the future of computing. By going beyond FinFET to Gate-All-Around structures, it increases density and high-performance logic.
Investors should note that Intel did not give a clear timeline for this implementation. Besides, its new 7-nanometer process node is still behind schedule. This delay will give its competitors, including Advanced Micro Devices (NASDAQ:AMD) and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing (NYSE:TSM) a sizeable lead.
Data from Stock Rover
As the table above shows, INTC stock is high on quality because of its strong gross margins. That is sustainable, as long as the company catches up in its product refresh.
Source: luchschenF / Shutterstock.com
Arrowhead Pharmaceuticals is focused on discoveries that produced integrated systems of nanotech devices. The Global Nanobiotechnology Industry report said the market has an estimated size of $18.4 billion this year. It cited this company as one of the competitors in this market.
In its core business, the company spent around a decade in bringing RNAi outside the liver. It is building a library of linker chemistry which is used to optimize delivery. By designing potent RNAi triggers, Arrowhead has a TRiM Platform that can treat more patients with its drug candidates. President and CEO Christopher Anzalone said, RNAi doesnt care what gene has been silenced once we validate our ability to reduce expression of a given gene in a given cell type, we have confidence that we can replicate that in other gene targets.
So, if this approach bears fruit, the value of its drug pipeline increases as they get approved, fueling ARWR stock.
Veeco Instruments is a semiconductor equipment and materials firm specializing in manufacturing 3D transistors and 3D memory. The company decreased its development risks by seeking partners to develop 3nm and 5nm technology node research.
In the third quarter, Veecos data storage unit lifted its revenue to $122 million and non-GAAPS EPS to 22 cents. Although nanotech is not a driver to its growth, VECO stock investors should not get deterred. The company won a deal with Aledia to supply Veecos Propel 300 millimeter MOCVD (metal-organic chemical vapor deposition ) system. MOCVD is a technology used to deposit thin layers of atoms onto a semiconductor wafer. Wafers are made of sapphire or silicon. The customer will use this to manufacture 3D nanowire Micro LED displays.
In the five-year discounted cash flow growth exit model below, the fair value is $21.90:
Model courtesy of finbox
Readers may change the discount or growth rate to re-calculate the stocks price target.
CEO Bill Miller said that its early state micro LED applications will drive its growth in 2022 and beyond. Continued news on this development will likely give VECO stock another lift in the next year.
Last year, Onto Innovation completed a merger that combined Rudolph Technology with Nanometrics. The deal sought to reduce costs and increase both device performance and product cycle times.
Onto develops process controls. This includes 3D metrology on chips from the nanometer-scale transistors to micro-level die-interconnects. In the third quarter, the company posted revenue of $126.5 million up 101% from last year. It earned 40 cents a share (non-GAAP). In the quarter, customers started using early versions of its Atlas V for the development of node generation as small as 2 nanometers.
In Q4, CEO Michael Plisinski expects growth to accelerate. Demand for the inspection, specialty device, and advanced packaging will remain strong. Its metrology business will also enjoy a rebound in demand.
Based on three analysts, the average price target for ONTO stock is ~$50.00 (per Tipranks).
Source: JHVEPhoto / Shutterstock.com
IBM has at least a two-decade history in nanotechnology research. Its IBM Research division worked in partnership with Singapores Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology. The two firms developed a synthetic polymer that may help increase the effectiveness of existing antibiotics.
IBM stock does reflect the value of the Research division. Despite being a major player in the fields of polymer and materials chemistry, investors are more interested in its developments in artificial intelligence and DevOps. In the near-term, IBMs decision to spin-off its managed infrastructure services business will unlock the stock price discount.
The company is also pivoting to the hybrid cloud market. As it does so, its pace of innovation will increase. And as it creates a competitive advantage, differentiating itself from its peers, investors will buy the stock. So, for now, markets will not notice IBMs contributions to the nanotech segment.
Trading at close to 52-week highs, basic materials firm DuPont de Nemours may have huge returns ahead. Markets may associate the company with the progress in nanomaterials development.
DuPonts Nutrition and Biosciences division, which it is spinning off through an exchange offer, will interest nanotech investors. Silvadur is a nanoparticle-based silver product. It has silver metal particles that do not easily dissolve in water. This gives it a less uniform finish.
These days, the pandemic is raising awareness of warding away viruses and bacteria. So, demand for Silvadurs antimicrobial fabric surfaces property may increase. Not only is DD stock a potential winning name for investors but so is the spinoff.
Data from Stock Rover
In the table above, the value score suggests that DD stock is trading above fair value. Investors may want to consider holding the Nutrition and Biosciences spinoff instead.
Disclosure:On the date of publication, Chris Lau did not have (either directly or indirectly) any positions in the securities mentioned in this article.
Chris Lau is a contributing author for InvestorPlace.com and numerous other financial sites. Chris has over 20 years of investing experience in the stock market and runs the Do-It-Yourself Value Investing Marketplace on Seeking Alpha. He shares his stock picks so readers get original insight that helps improve investment returns.
Go here to read the rest:
- Nanotech Presenting at the Sidoti Virtual Microcap Conference for Investors on Wednesday, May 19, 2021 - GlobeNewswire - May 14th, 2021
- Superbug infections in poultry under the microscope - Poultry World - May 14th, 2021
- Aerospace Nanotechnology Market Global Demand, Research and Top Leading Player to 2026 | COVID-19 Analysis | Airbus,Glonatech,Flight Shield,Lockheed... - May 14th, 2021
- You Need to Know About the Top 5 Trends in Pharmaceutical Analysis - EuroScientist - May 14th, 2021
- IBM makes another major chip breakthrough in Albany - Times Union - May 11th, 2021
- Nanotechnology Market scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech - May 11th, 2021
- Stretchable Conductive Material Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2026 | Dupont & Co., 3M Company, Toyobo Co., Ltd., Advanced Nano Products... - April 13th, 2021
- Taiwan Advanced Nanotech's (GTSM:6797) Solid Profits Have Weak Fundamentals - Simply Wall St - April 11th, 2021
- Nanotech increasing pace of development in Iran - Tehran Times - April 4th, 2021
- Aerospace Nanotechnology Market 2021-2027 Analysis by Industry Size, Share, Potential Growth, Demand and Forecast The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv... - April 4th, 2021
- University of Houston to install nanotech-coated air filters on campus to prevent COVID-19 spread - InnovationMap - March 31st, 2021
- Brain implant firm wins 12m with Manchester nanotech - The University of Manchester - March 31st, 2021
- Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market to witness Huge Growth with Projected Airbus, NASA, Sila Nanotechnologies, Cella Energy The Bisouv... - March 31st, 2021
- Global Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market Insights 2021 Industry Overview, Competitive Players & Forecast 2027| Airbus, NASA, Sila... - March 31st, 2021
- Lithium Chile And Summit Nanotech Announce Signing of Definitive Agreement for Their Joint Pilot Project in Chile - Junior Mining Network - March 9th, 2021
- Glass Coatings Market will touch a new level in upcoming year with Top Key players like Arkema, Covestro, Opticote, NanoTech Coatings, CCM GmbH, PPG... - March 9th, 2021
- Healthcare Industry: Global Dip-pen Nanolithography Market 2020 Analysis By Regional, Outlook, Competitive Landscape Strategies And Forecast 2027... - March 9th, 2021
- Conductive Inks Market Assessment and Key Insights Analyzed till 2026| Keyplayers : DuPont., Sun Chemical Corp, PPG Industries, Henkel AG, and Applied... - February 22nd, 2021
- Global Carbon Nanotube (CNT) Masterbatches Market by Trends, Dynamic Innovation in Technology and Key Players| Unidym, Nanocyl, Cnano, canatu,... - February 8th, 2021
- Nanotech Announces Brand Protection Win from Canadian Vita - GlobeNewswire - February 6th, 2021
- Nanotech Powered Mass Testing Now the Key to Unlocking COVID-19 Lockdowns - PRNewswire - February 6th, 2021
- World Cancer Day: From Immunotherapy, vaccines to nanotech, new treatments that show promise against disease - Firstpost - February 6th, 2021
- Latest water purification technologies - top five - Water Technology - February 6th, 2021
- Indias world No. 3 in nanotech research, but... - Gadgets Now - January 17th, 2021
- Investment in AI and nanotech surges in wake of COVID-19 - IT Brief New Zealand - January 9th, 2021
- NS Nanotech Teams Up with Kryptolights to Offer Far-UVC Sterilization for a Host of Consumer and Commercial Applications - PR Web - January 9th, 2021
- Aerospace Nanotechnology Market Global Industry COVID 19 Analysis, Growth Trends and Forecast 2020-2026: Glonatech, Flight Shield, Lockheed Martin,... - January 9th, 2021
- Aerospace Nanotechnology Market COVID 19 Increse Factors Outlook, Key Growth Trends on Ke Players and Forecast to 2026: Airbus, Glonatech, Flight... - January 9th, 2021
- NS Nanotech and UV Ray Lights Partner to Bring New UV Tech to Conferences and Corporate Events - PR Web - January 3rd, 2021
- INVESTIGATION ALERT: The Schall Law Firm Announces It Is Investigating Claims Against Sona Nanotech Inc. and Encourages Investors with Losses of... - November 29th, 2020
- Sona Nanotech Withdraws Health Canada Application For COVID-19 Test Due To Feedback From Regulator - The Deep Dive - November 29th, 2020
- Hull firm's nanotech solution aims to stop Covid spread in its tracks - Business Live - November 29th, 2020
- How Top Nanotechnology companies are contributing to fight against Covid-19 in India - APN News - November 29th, 2020
- In-Depth Research on Aerospace Nanotechnology Market (impact of COVID-19) with Top Players: Airbus , Glonatech , Flight Shield , Lockheed Martin, and... - November 29th, 2020
- CNTs Conductive Paste Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of... - November 29th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Protective Implant Coating Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Nanogate, Nanomech,... - November 29th, 2020
- Dynamic tattoos promise to warn wearers of health threats - yoursun.com - October 2nd, 2020
- A new nanotech wireless mobile phone charger is expected to enter Malaysia market by mid-2021 - TechNave - October 2nd, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Aluminum Conductors Market 2025 Expected to reach Highest CAGR including major key players Bio-Gate, Cima NanoTech, Inframat,... - October 2nd, 2020
- The Future Of The Face Mask - Bluetooth, In-built Cooling, Nanotech Filters In The Mask As People Are Learning To Live With Covid-19 - Inventiva - July 21st, 2020
- Global Nanotechnology and Nanomaterials Market 2020 and estimated to grow in near Future, Growth, Supply Demand and Analysis by Types 2020-2027 - Cole... - July 21st, 2020
- Nanometals Market 2020 By Regional Trend and Growth Forecast To 2026| Reinste, Eprui Nanomaterials & Microspheres, Baikowski, ABC Nanotech, Amag... - July 21st, 2020
- Global Polyethylene Terephthalate Resins (PET Resins) Market 2020 Applications, SWOT Analysis, Remarkable Growth and Competitive Landscape by 2025 -... - July 21st, 2020
- Global Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes Market Innovative Report Growth impact over the forecast year 2020 to 2027 - 3rd Watch News - July 21st, 2020
- Polyethylene Terephthalate Resins (PET Resins) Market Growth with Worldwide Industry Analysis to 2019-2025 - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- Nanotech injections successfully restore vision in blind rats - Digital Trends - July 15th, 2020
- These are 8 of the most fashionable face masks you can buy - from Nanotech to Reebok and Etsy - News Post Leader - July 15th, 2020
- Aircraft Nano Coating Market Report 2020: Acute Analysis of Global Demand and Supply 2025 with Major Key Player: AnCatt, Applied Thin Films,... - July 15th, 2020
- The evolution of how Marvel animated Iron Man - Business Insider Australia - July 15th, 2020
- Global Stretchable Conductive Material Market Report 2020 With Industry Positioning of Key Vendors : DuPont, 3M, Toyobo, Advanced Nano Products,... - April 14th, 2020
- Smoltek's subscription warrants TO 2 give the right to subscribe for shares with a 30 percent discount - marketscreener.com - April 14th, 2020
- Global Quantum Dots Market Research Report 2020-2025 - Breakdown by Healthcare, Optoelectronics, LED Lighting, Solar Modules, and Other End-use... - April 6th, 2020
- Metro Hits 52-week High on Campaign to Stop Hunger - Baystreet.ca - April 6th, 2020
- Nanotechnology Industry Insights & Outlook, 2020-2024 by Component, Application and Region - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market upcoming business reports on size, shares, stocks and many more | forecasting report 2026 - New Day... - March 4th, 2020
- In the Information Economy, Value Is Decreasingly In The Numbers - Hellenic Shipping News Worldwide - January 26th, 2020
- Global Aerospace Nanotechnology Market 2020 : What are the key opportunities? - Weekly Wall - January 26th, 2020
- Stretchable Conductive Material Market will rise at the CAGR of 75.00% with Top Competitors DuPont & Co.,3M,Applied Nanotech ANP Corporation and... - January 18th, 2020
- Massive tender scam sucks in top officials - Zimbabwe Independent - December 18th, 2019
- Aluminum Heat Transfer Material Market Upcoming Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast from 2019-2025 | Alcoa, Granges, Applied Nanotech - The Connect... - November 30th, 2019
- Global Nanotechnology in Medical Devices Market Industry analysis and forecast (2018-2026) - BeetleVersion - November 30th, 2019
- Renowned researcher, UTRGV professor blazes trail from Monterrey to White House to TedXMcAllen - Monitor - November 9th, 2019
- The Nanotechnology World Association is Launched to Foster Worldwide Collaboration Within This Promising and High Growth Sector - PR Web - October 24th, 2019
- Can Nanotechnology Be Used to Improve Access to Clean Water? - AZoNano - October 20th, 2019
- Acrylic Surface Coating Market 2019: Phenomenal Growth - Bio-Gate AG, Cima NanoTech, Nanophase Technologies Corporation - The State News - BBState - October 20th, 2019
- Global Nanotechnology Market Future Outlook to 2025 Discussed in New Market Research Report - Markets Gazette - October 20th, 2019
- After years of setbacks, Uticas nanotech project gets $1 billion tenant - WSYR - September 27th, 2019
- Nanotech Security Retires $3.0 Million Note | Investing News Network - Investing News Network (registration) - August 25th, 2017
- Duke combines immunotherapy, tumor-roasting nanotech to vaccinate mice against cancer - Durham Herald Sun - August 25th, 2017
- Is Industrial Nanotech Inc (INTK)'s Triple EMA Building Momentum? - Evergreen Caller - August 25th, 2017
- Immunotherapy, Nanotech Combine to Kill Cancer Cells More ... - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - August 20th, 2017
- Share Performance Update on Nanotech Security Corp (NTS.V) - Morgan Research - August 20th, 2017
- Global Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market to Grow ... - Markets Insider - August 20th, 2017
- Global Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market to Grow at a CAGR of 8.8% by 2021: Demand for ... - PR Newswire UK (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- RMI Signaling Increased Momentum For Nanotech Security Corp (NTSFF) - Lenox Ledger - August 18th, 2017
- Global Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market to Grow at a CAGR of 8.8% by 2021: Key Vendors are ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 16th, 2017
- Focusing the Lens on Nanotech Security Corp (NTS.V) Shares: Technical Update - JCTY News - August 14th, 2017
- Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market to grow at a ... - E News Access (press release) - August 13th, 2017
- Nanotech-enabled Aircraft Power Solutions Market - Trends and Forecasts by Technavio - Business Wire (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Taking Aim at NanoTech Gaming Inc (NTGL) Shares - FLBC News - August 11th, 2017