How is technology changing the enterprise in 2020? It would be tough to pin down an answer that's anything close to comprehensive, but chipping ice chunks off the glacier of "the state of technology and work in 2020" can help us glean insights into the creep and flow of new and developing technologies in the enterprise heading into the new decade.
I caught up with ADP's corporate vice president,Don Weinstein, to get his take on how technology will continue to reshape the workforce over the next 6-12 months. Personalization, AI/ML, predictive analytics, low code technology ... Don's insights, presented below, are far-ranging and offered with an eye toward gleaning insights into the broader trends in technology and the workforce that he's seeing from his perch at ADP.
They're also offered, refreshingly, with an eye toward how the worker will be affected.
First up, Weinstein believes that the efficacy of teams and non-hierarchical working structures will gain even more traction, in large part unlocked by technology.
"The future of work lies in a flat working structure that unlocks the potential of criteria-based teams," he says. "Companies will increasingly look to meet their talent needs by supplementing their staff with highly specialized gig workers; former, returning employees; and retirees that can support nimble work."
Listening to this prediction, an interesting corollary that occurred to me lies in Hollywood. Movies, which are massively complicated endeavors to pull off, rely on teams of gig workers (everyone from actors and filmmakers to set designers and production coordinators) coming together quickly to pull off a herculean task.
Perhaps in contrast to Hollywood, where specialization is paramount, Weinstein believes there will be a loosening of strict job functions to allow for creative problem solving.
"Organizations will need to break down siloes to unlock potential and create a culture of connectivity predicated on engagement and performance. This is even more important for businesses managing multi-generational workers."
At the same time, technology will also enable new personalization opportunities for employees.
"Employers and employees alike will demand app-driven, consumer-grade HCM experiences [Human Capital Management], not monolithic software. The employee experience will evolve through a confluence of emerging technology, artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML)."
One result is seemingly banal but actually very impactful: Employees will be able to decide how and when they get paid, potentially alleviating the gnawing pressure that biweekly or monthly paychecks introduce.
"The pay experience will reach a new level of personalization, offering an easier way for workers to be paid, the way they want, anytime they want."
Worker mobility has been a trend for some time, but globalized workforces create compliance nightmares for HR and other partners.
"HCM partners will need to deliver global localization the ability to localize compliance tools that address changing policies, regulations and laws at all levels of regulatory control with ease. As organizational teams continue to become more global with workers logging in from around the world businesses will be increasingly focused on uncovering new, compliant ways to support worker mobility, without creating unnecessary burden."
Technologies coming online to help could enable new flexibility for workers to work where they want.
"The talent war will be fought and won on the ability to unlock and apply actionable insights derived from reliable, decision-quality data. Predictive analytics will be table stakes for any successful business in 2020, providing critical workforce insights such as overtime spikes, excessive turnover, labor costs and even pay equity."
The specific technologies Weinstein mentions suggest a real convergence of functionality.
"AI, machine learning, serverless computing, 5G connectivity these macro trends drive innovation as businesses strive to optimize experiences for employees and clients. In the coming year, companies that harness data and action it against emerging technologies will not only survive but thrive."
Adaptability and enterprise technology may seem like a non-sequitur, but Weinstein suggests that demands from workers in a tight labor economy will drive the transition.
"Just as teams will become more agile, so will technology platforms. Cloud-native, low-code technology platforms will receive favorability, as they eliminate maintenance windows, drive scalability and performance, and require less technical fluency from users. Companies will have greater access to technology that provides ever-evolving, personalized solutions to fit their organization."
I'll be tracking more predictions from across the enterprise in future coverage.
Read the original here:
- U.S. to Impose Sweeping Rule Aimed at China Technology Threats - The Wall Street Journal - February 27th, 2021
- What Technology Would Catch Your Eye If You Won the Lottery? - Drovers Magazine - February 27th, 2021
- Technology Landscape, Trends and Opportunities in the Global Motion Sensor Market, 2021 Report - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2021
- Learning from history: How forward-thinking legal professionals approach technology - JD Supra - February 27th, 2021
- Farm-Tested Technology a Win for Grower and Startup - Agweb Powered by Farm Journal - February 27th, 2021
- Facebook is 'looking at' facial recognition technology for upcoming smart glasses, executive confirms - CNBC - February 27th, 2021
- Leveraging Technology to Manage Big Data in Antitrust - JD Supra - February 27th, 2021
- KULR Technology forms partnership with the CSA Group to develop a new battery safety standards - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - February 27th, 2021
- AMSE and Dept. of Energy partner to teach history of technology and science in Oak Ridge - WBIR.com - February 27th, 2021
- Camp Hill-based company to use partnership to develop technology platforms for client institutions - PennLive - February 27th, 2021
- Integrating nature with technology to strengthen climate adaptation - Daily Planet` - February 27th, 2021
- Proposals to meet global challenges in artificial intelligence and technology regulation - Brookings Institution - February 27th, 2021
- Is Technology Changing The Real Estate Industry? - BOSS Magazine - February 27th, 2021
- Engineering student's technology could revolutionize the use of drones - University of Miami - University of Miami - February 27th, 2021
- Ideas, technology and a fire in the gut fuel young entrepreneurs - Jacksonville Daily Record - February 27th, 2021
- Technology and Art of Light in the Spotlight: Artists from around the World Gather at Shenzhen International Light Art Forum - PRNewswire - February 27th, 2021
- Chevron launches $300 million fund to focus on low-carbon technology - Reuters - February 27th, 2021
- Sweden's KTH Royal Institute of Technology Selects Hewlett Packard Enterprise to Build New Supercomputer to Advance Academic and Industrial Research -... - February 27th, 2021
- 10 Information Technology Stocks With Unusual Options Alerts In Today's Session - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2021
- Dots and Bridges Launches New YouTube Channel to the Highlight the Technology, Humanity and Culture Intersection - Business Wire - February 27th, 2021
- Desert Storm attack pilot integrates 30-years of tactics with new technology - Robins Rev Up - February 27th, 2021
- The Pellicano Hotels Group Selects Lybra as a Preferred Technology Partner, Implementing Lybra's Assistant RMS in all 3 of Their Luxury Properties in... - February 27th, 2021
- Is It Time To Consider Buying Amkor Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMKR)? - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2021
- 10 Breakthrough Technologies 2021 - MIT Technology Review - February 25th, 2021
- New Year, New Technology Priorities - Ward and Smith, PA - February 25th, 2021
- Technology and Innovation Report 2021 - UNCTAD - February 25th, 2021
- Wearable Technology Market Expected to Exceed $74 Billion By 2026 As Wellness Craze Kicks into High Gear - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- OneConnect Financial Technology and Singapore Exchange collaborate to address the region's ESG reporting needs - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- GRAPHISOFT Empowers Mission of 400 Forward as Official Software and Technology Partner - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- Taking future wireless technology from science fiction to scientific reality - Penn State News - February 25th, 2021
- CRN Names BetterWorld Technology to 2021 MSP 500 List in the Pioneer 250 Category - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- GSCW chat recap: Naeem Zafar on using technology to feed the world - FreightWaves - February 25th, 2021
- What Old Technology Do You Think Is Cool? - The New York Times - February 25th, 2021
- New brain scan technology hopes to help people recover from addiction - WBIR.com - February 25th, 2021
- How Technology Will Fuel the COVID-19 Vaccine Administration - Healthcare IT News - February 25th, 2021
- Rackspace Technology Named Cloudflare Worldwide MSP Partner of the Year - GlobeNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- Lattice and Future Electronics Collaborate on Virtual Technology Sessions for Machine Learning/AI, Embedded Vision, and Secure System Control -... - February 25th, 2021
- Baldwin-Whitehall's Peretin named Technology Administrator of the Year - TribLIVE - February 25th, 2021
- Christian Poellabauer appointed to lead new Applied Analytics and Emerging Technology Lab at Notre Dame - ND Newswire - February 25th, 2021
- The 6th Wave of Advertising Technology: Privacy - AdExchanger - February 25th, 2021
- Global Hydrogen Aircraft Market and Technology Forecast to 2029 - Featuring BAE Systems, Bell Helicopter and Boeing Among Others -... - February 25th, 2021
- Northern Refrigerated Transportation Adds SmartDrive Video-Based Safety to Technology Suite - Business Wire - February 25th, 2021
- How Nanoemulsion Technology Is Drastically Affecting the Food & Beverage Industry - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- AI could have profound effect on way GCHQ works, says director - The Guardian - February 25th, 2021
- Analog Devices, University of Limerick and Stripe Collaborate to Leverage Software Technology for the Transformation of Engineering Education -... - February 25th, 2021
- Adhesive Tapes Market Research Report by Resin Type, by Technology, by Backing Material, by Category, by End-use Industry - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - February 25th, 2021
- NUBURU Establishes Advisory Board of Seasoned Technology Experts - Business Wire - February 25th, 2021
- Joby Aviation to List on NYSE Through Merger With Reinvent Technology Partners - Business Wire - February 25th, 2021
- The U.S. Needs a Federal Department of Science and Technology - Scientific American - February 21st, 2021
- Treasure hunting with technology add geocaching to your outdoor activities during COVID-19 - ABC27 - February 21st, 2021
- AIM Institute Offers Free Introduction to Technology Course to Demystify IT - kneb.com - February 21st, 2021
- SAG-AFTRA Leaders Explore Promises & Threats Of New Technologies And Their Impact On Residuals Labor Innovation & Technology Summit -... - February 21st, 2021
- Mobilaris & Lule University of Technology working together to improve AI-based positioning in mining - International Mining - February 21st, 2021
- Apple is already working on developing 6G wireless technology - Ars Technica - February 21st, 2021
- Local buses equipped with technology said to remove 99.9% of COVID-19 from air - WTAE Pittsburgh - February 21st, 2021
- Why Osprey Technology Acquisition Stock Popped Again Today - Motley Fool - February 21st, 2021
- Meet College of Health Sciences and Technology Dean Yong 'Tai' Wang - RIT University News Services - February 21st, 2021
- Building trust in technology - The Indian Express - February 21st, 2021
- Guyoung Technology (KOSDAQ:053270) Has Gifted Shareholders With A Fantastic 141% Total Return On Their Investment - Simply Wall St - February 21st, 2021
- DXC Technology Signs Agreement with Temenos, Enabling its Large Bank Customers to Reimagine Core Banking Transformation - Business Wire - February 21st, 2021
- Global Airport Information Technology (IT) Market Report 2020-2025: Airports Need to Embrace Digital Transformation to Enhance Passenger Experience... - February 18th, 2021
- Helicopter and other technology demos hitch a ride on Mars 2020 - SpaceNews - February 18th, 2021
- A blueprint for technology governance in the post-pandemic world - Brookings Institution - February 18th, 2021
- Report Bundle on the Worldwide Smart Buildings, Cities, and Digital Twins Technology & Solutions Industry to 2026 - Identify Market Drivers -... - February 18th, 2021
- Exelon's Aquify Leverages Trimble's Digital Water Technology to Expand its Analytics Services for US Water Utilities - PRNewswire - February 18th, 2021
- Technology, Diversity, And A Global Mindset: Heres Whats In Store For Remote Hiring In 2021 - Forbes - February 18th, 2021
- DOT's weather watcher relies on technology, forecasters and his own senses to read snowstorms - The Providence Journal - February 18th, 2021
- Dialogue with the private sector on medicines and technologies for diabetes care, February 2021 - World Health Organization - February 18th, 2021
- RepliCel Presents Its Technology Development and Commercialization Plans for Japan at Kanagawa Regenerative Medicine Industry Conference - BioSpace - February 18th, 2021
- New Apple technology could lead to in-screen Face ID, no notch - AppleInsider - February 18th, 2021
- Emera Technologies and Novonix Partner on Innovative Battery Technology - Business Wire - February 18th, 2021
- Anti-Counterfeit Pharmaceuticals & Cosmetics Packaging Market Research Report by Technology, by End User - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative... - February 18th, 2021
- SOCMA and Greenland Technologies Sign Co-Operation Agreement to Support U.S. Production of Electric Industrial Vehicles - Yahoo Finance - February 18th, 2021
- Shipboard Technology Evaluation Program: Revised Application for Ballast Water Management Systems Homeland Security Today - HSToday - February 18th, 2021
- Cascade and Battelle Collaborate to Apply Patented Environmental Remediation Technology for Recalcitrant Contaminants - Yahoo Finance - February 18th, 2021
- Aspen Technology to Present at the KeyBanc Emerging Technology Summit - Business Wire - February 18th, 2021
- Opinion | The Coming Technology Boom - The New York Times - February 18th, 2021
- Lumen Technologies is the only company to win Frost & Sullivan's prestigious 2021 Global New Product Innovation Award for its Holistic Web... - February 18th, 2021
- MedPilot merging with Vytalize in a big win for Cleveland's technology community - News 5 Cleveland - February 18th, 2021
- Technology, growth, and inequality: Changing dynamics in the digital era - Brookings Institution - February 18th, 2021