You might have noticed that cannabidiol (CBD) comes in just about every kind of product you can think of: oils, lotions, creams, gummies, pills, beauty products, bath bombs, and salves or ointments, just to name a few.
In case youve managed to avoid the buzz, CBD is one of the countless active compounds found in the cannabis plant.
Theres still a lot we dont know about CBD yet, but so far, available research does point to these benefits:
If youre considering trying a CBD ointment or salve, keep reading. You can check out our favorites and find out how they work, how safe they are, and how to shop for them.
CBD comes in many topical forms like balms, salves, creams, lotions, and ointments.
Salves, balms, and ointments typically use fatty oils and waxes as base ingredients, compared with cream and lotions, which usually use water.
While balms tend to be thick, waxy, and pretty solid, CBD salves and ointments are usually a little softer than balms. Theyre a good choice for applying relief directly to aches and pains.
However, studies on topicals suggest that skin absorbency is pretty low compared with other mucous membranes meaning that when you use a topical product, its a good idea to choose one with a high level of CBD and apply it generously.
We selected these products based on criteria we think are good indicators of safety, quality, and transparency. Each product in this article:
As a part of our selection process, we also considered:
Use code healthcbd for 15% off.
This certified organic and cruelty-free CBD salve is made with a blend of phytocannabinoid-rich hemp oil, organic beeswax, and organic medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil. Thanks to the organic essential oils, it has a calming scent of lavender and eucalyptus.
The website displays reviews centered around all of Joy Organicss products and customer service (all positive), so reviews for this particular product are a bit tough to hunt down.
Joy Organics sources their hemp on U.S. farms, according to their website, and uses a proprietary hemp extraction and purification process that includes supercritical CO2.
Joy Organics offers free shipping and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Use code healthline for 15% off sitewide.
This nongreasy, non-GMO salve is made with essential oils and shea butter and coconut oil.
Reviewers are overall impressed with this pick. One notes that this salve worked well for her nerve pain.
CBDistillery says on their website that their hemp is grown using natural farming methods and food-safe extraction methods. Specifically, the CBD oil in their full-spectrum products uses CO2 extraction, while the CBD used for their 0 percent THC products is extracted with ethanol.
CBDistillery offers a discount for veterans. The product comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
This broad-spectrum, non-GMO salve is made with beeswax, MCT oil, and CBD. Its available in two scents: eucalyptus and lavender and Calming Purple which is an unspecified terpene blend.
This pick is a hit with reviewers, one noting that she uses it daily, and others praising its effectiveness.
Go Green Hemp has an assistance program offering 20 percent off for life for active service members, veterans, people on long-term disability, and low-income households.
Hydrating and moisturizing, this non-GMO ointment offers a satisfying cooling sensation, according to reviewers.
The bottles pump-top dispenser makes application easy, compared with tubs or squeeze bottles that can lead to messes or loss of product.
Reviewers say the pump-top seems to give them the same amount of product every time, making dosage simple. They also note that the ointment absorbs quickly.
PureKana sources all of their hemp from Kentucky farms and uses a solvent-free carbon dioxide (CO2) extraction process.
Their veterans discount offers 25 percent off their complete selection of products.
This full-spectrum CBD salve is made with hemp sourced from a Colorado farm, using a CO2 extraction process.
Although there are only a small handful of reviews for this product on Harmonious CBDs website right now, theyre very positive. One reviewer says it helps with the onset of her migraine symptoms.
This product is also vegan, non-GMO, sugar-free, and gluten-free.
Not all that glitters is gold. Its important to keep in mind that not all CBD products come with a high level of quality and transparency.
Its best to buy from a company thats transparent about where they grow their hemp and how they make their products.
Its also important to look for a product that comes with an up-to-date, comprehensive certificate of analysis (COA) from a reputable third-party lab. Heres what to look for on the COA:
Additionally, consider only buying from companies with a positive brand reputation. You can look into whether the brand has been involved in any lawsuits and whether its received a warning letter from the FDA.
Finally, check online reviews. You may be able to find reviews on the brands site, but keep in mind these may be filtered to show mostly (or only) positive reviews. Check third-party sites too, if possible.
You can test-drive CBD salves and ointments on a variety of concerns.
Some CBD products that come with extra pain-relieving ingredients like menthol, camphor, and capsaicin could offer even more beneficial effects to the addressed areas.
Along with physical pain, CBD topicals like salves and ointments may be helpful with certain skin conditions.
The American Academy of Dermatology says that topical CBD products show promise for lowering inflammation that can add to skin conditions like acne, eczema, and psoriasis.
CBD topicals may also be able to help with:
Topicals like salves and ointments are the go-to choice for localized aches and pains or the skin conditions mentioned above.
If youre looking for a more measured way to take CBD (especially if youre on the go), you may consider capsules or gummies. You can easily toss these into your bag and take them quickly, compared with applying a topical that can get messy during application and can come with a noticeable scent.
Gently apply your salve or ointment to the desired area, adding more as needed.
CBD salves and ointments are available in varying levels of strength. Topicals can be tough to dose since theyre not as easy to measure as CBD oils or edibles.
Generally, the dosage varies on some key factors like your body weight, experience with CBD products, the products potency, and the condition youre addressing.
If youre trying CBD for the first time, its a good idea to start with the lowest possible dose at first and see how your body responds. You can increase the dose from there as needed.
The World Health Organization says CBD is generally thought to be safe, but some people may experience side effects, like:
Its best to talk to your doctor before trying any CBD product, especially if youre taking any medications. CBD may interact with some medications.
Its also a good idea to use precaution with any new-to-you topical products. Check the ingredient list beforehand to avoid any potential allergic reactions. Dont use topicals on broken skin.
Be sure to perform a patch test before using them broadly. To do this, just apply a little bit of the salve or ointment on the inside of your wrist and wait 24 hours to see how your skin reacts. If you detect any signs of irritation, like a rash or itchiness, stop using the product right away.
CBD research is still in its early stages. But the mounting evidence and consumer reports point to CBD topicals, like salves and ointments, showing promise to improve ailments like pain and skin conditions like acne and eczema.
As with any new-to-you product, be cautious by checking ingredient lists and performing a patch test to avoid allergic reactions.
Its also a good idea to check in with your doctor before trying CBD, especially if youre taking medication. CBD may interact with some medications.
Is CBD Legal? Hemp-derived CBD products (with less than 0.3 percent THC) are legal on the federal level, but are still illegal under some state laws. Marijuana-derived CBD products are illegal on the federal level, but are legal under some state laws. Check your states laws and those of anywhere you travel. Keep in mind that nonprescription CBD products are not FDA-approved, and may be inaccurately labeled.
Breanna Mona is a writer based in Cleveland, OH. She holds a masters degree in media and journalism and writes about health, lifestyle, and entertainment.
Continue reading here:
- USA-Grown Organic CBD Topicals With Aim to Improve Americans' Lifestyles - PRNewswire - May 31st, 2021
- Pacific Roots Introduces Wellness and Pleasure Line Products Infused With CBD - PRNewswire - May 31st, 2021
- More Canadians turning to cannabis to help deal with pandemic pressures - CBC.ca - May 31st, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Extract Market is Expected to Grow at an Impressive CAGR by 2028 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 31st, 2021
- Global CBD Oil in Beauty Products Market Rising Trends,Competitive Strategies,Market Size,Latest Technologies Research And Future Scope 2025 ... - May 31st, 2021
- Deal: These CBD Gummies Will Cure Your Sunday Scaries - InsideHook - May 31st, 2021
- Impact of Covid-19 on CBD Hemp Oil Market 2020-2028 Canopy Growth Corporation, Medical Marijuana, Inc., Canndeo Limited, Aphria Inc. The Courier -... - May 31st, 2021
- Why Dont You Feel the Effects of CBD? - Phones Wiki - May 31st, 2021
- CBD Oil: What are 9 Proven or Possible Health Benefits? - May 27th, 2021
- Top 3 CBD Oils for Pain [That Actually Work] - 2021 Guide - May 27th, 2021
- CBD: Safe and effective? - Mayo Clinic - May 27th, 2021
- Can CBD Oil Be Used As An Antifungal? - nativenewsonline.net - May 27th, 2021
- WVU Today | As CBD oil sales hit the gas, WVU researcher studies its effects on driving performance - WVU Today - May 27th, 2021
- CBD Oil Market is Expected to Grow at an Impressive CAGR by 2028 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 27th, 2021
- Summer Means a Return to Activity, and Time for Cibadol Products - PRNewswire - May 27th, 2021
- Well Care Botanicals CBD Topicals: Our Review - Ministry of Hemp - May 27th, 2021
- 9 Best CBD Bundles and Starter Packs of 2021 - Healthline - May 20th, 2021
- What is CBD oil and how does it benefit your pets? - The Indian Express - May 20th, 2021
- CBD Oil Market 2021 Overview with Demographic Data and Industry Growth Trends 2028 The Courier - The Courier - May 20th, 2021
- Tips on Using Cannabis Oil for Treating Medical Conditions - The Leaf Online - May 20th, 2021
- What Is the Strongest CBD Oil and Where Can You Buy It? - The Leaf Online - May 20th, 2021
- Breakfast recipe: CBD oil overnight oats with pear and honey - Metro.co.uk - May 20th, 2021
- Millennia in the making: unlocking the medicinal value of CBD - Drug Target Review - May 20th, 2021
- I Took CBD For Two Weeks. Here's How It Made Me Feel - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - May 20th, 2021
- The global medical cannabis market is expected to reach US$ 49,116.4 million by 2028 from US$ 8,926.6 million in 2020 - Yahoo Finance - May 20th, 2021
- $18+ Billion Worldwide Industrial Hemp Industry to 2025 - Key Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities and Challenges - PRNewswire - May 20th, 2021
- CBD oil processor offers THC 'remediation,' but regulators urge caution - Pine Journal - May 16th, 2021
- How Using CBD Oil Can Give You a Good Night's Sleep - Critical Blast - May 16th, 2021
- 4 Ways To Check If Your Dog's CBD is Safe And Effective - - VENTS Magazine - May 16th, 2021
- Europe CBD Oil Market Forecast Including Growth Factors, Types And Application By Regional Geography 2021 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 16th, 2021
- $18+ billion worldwide industrial hemp industry to 2025 - key drivers, restraints, opportunities and challenges Greenway Magazine - Greenway - May 16th, 2021
- Top 5 CBD Snacks That You Should Try - UrbanMatter - May 16th, 2021
- High cannabis sales during the pandemic allows Calgary business to expand - Globalnews.ca - May 16th, 2021
- Global Hemp Derived CBD Oil Market 2020-2025 Industry Status and Trends Outlook By Type and Application Global Marketers Brockville Observer -... - May 16th, 2021
- CBD for pets: does it work and is it safe? - ZME Science - May 16th, 2021
- Hemp Oil in Dietary Supplements Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | The Courier - The... - May 16th, 2021
- Hemp Oil Market (COVID-19 Impact Analysis) 2021 to See Major Growth in Revenue, Leading Players -Isodiol International Inc, HempLife Today, Hemp Oil... - May 16th, 2021
- Mental Health Awareness Week: Cannabis, CBD, and Anxiety - The Cannabis Exchange - May 16th, 2021
- US hemp oil Market: The Secret History And Future Growth | Value Share and Key Trends 2021-2027|| POST COVID-19 Unlock Opportunities with Coronavirus... - May 16th, 2021
- CBD of Denver to Present at the Investor Hot Seat on May 20 - StreetInsider.com - May 16th, 2021
- Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil) Market Size is Estimited To Reach USD XX Mn By 2023 with CAGR 36% Brockville Observer - Brockville Observer - May 16th, 2021
- Global Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil) Market Applications across Diverse Industry Verticals will emerge in Favor of Market Growth to Boost Sales Revenue ... - May 16th, 2021
- Worldwide Cannabinoid Hemp Oil Industry to 2025 - Legalised Supply of Quality-controlled CBD Oil for Sale is Driving Growth - PRNewswire - April 23rd, 2021
- Best CBD Products To Try This Spring - vmagazine.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Martha Stewart, Jaleel White and more promote cannabis use: Experts weigh in on THC vs. CBD - USA TODAY - April 23rd, 2021
- The Chemistry of Delta-8 'New and Improved' THC - American Council on Science and Health - April 23rd, 2021
- How to Buy CBD for Dogs in Maryland - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - April 23rd, 2021
- The Benefits of Vaping CBD Oil - - VENTS Magazine - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Cannabidiol Oil (CBD Oil) Market 2021 Growth Analysis, Research, Trends, Key Players and Forecast to 2027 Clark County Blog - Clark County... - April 23rd, 2021
- Global Pharmaceutical Grade Hemp Oil Market 2021 with Top Countries Data Industry Growth Analysis, Future Demand and Leading Players Updates by... - April 23rd, 2021
- Hemp legalization to help crop diversity in rural communities, bring in additional revenue - KTVB.com - April 23rd, 2021
- Hemp Oil Market 2021 Size Share Upcoming Trends Segmentation, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 Northern Gwinnett News - Northern Gwinnett News... - April 23rd, 2021
- Nextleaf Solutions Onboards New Partner and Delivers Initial Bulk CBD Order - StreetInsider.com - April 23rd, 2021
- CBD Oil (Middle East and Africa) Market to Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2021-2027 The Courier - The Courier - April 23rd, 2021
- Does CBD Oil Expire? How to Check and Whether It's Safe - Healthline - April 23rd, 2021
- CBD Oil Market Insights, Forecast and Global Industry Analysis | Medical Marijuana, FOLIUM BIOSCIENCES, IrieCBD The Courier - The Courier - April 23rd, 2021
- How Houstons Hemp-Based Highway Vodka Went From Hobby to Hot Commodity - Eater Houston - April 23rd, 2021
- CBD oil, mental health days for first responders? Here are some resources Austin personnel could be getting - KXAN.com - April 11th, 2021
- 11 Best CBD Companies to Buy From in 2021: Honest Reviews & Guide - Observer - April 11th, 2021
- Top 9 Tips on Using CBD Oil - Oregon Cannabis Connection - April 11th, 2021
- The Benefits of CBD Gummies - Orlando Magazine - April 11th, 2021
- Best CBD Dog Treats To Reduce Dog's Anxiety & Pain - Bainbridge Island Review - April 11th, 2021
- 7 Vegan CBD Products That Will Destress You Right Now - VegNews - April 11th, 2021
- CBD Oil Extract Market Global Demand to Offer Lucrative Growth Prospects For Manufacturers By Aurora Cannabis, MARICANN, Tilray, Tikun Olam, The... - April 11th, 2021
- I Tried Tommy Chong's Good Vibes Protocol CBD & It Changed Everything - L.A. Weekly - April 11th, 2021
- What To Expect In 2021 from CBD Oil Market, Know Why Competition is Rising The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - April 11th, 2021
- CBD Oil Extract Market Insights, Facts, Figures and Trends 2021-2027 | MarketDigits The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - April 11th, 2021
- Marijuana dispensary could be within reach for local CBD shop owner - wtkr.com - wtkr.com - April 11th, 2021
- Reefer Madness Crowd Discovers CBD With Predictable Results - The Fresh Toast - April 11th, 2021
- CBD of Denver Inc. Reports First Quarter 2021 Revenue of USD $7.3 Million - Yahoo Finance - April 11th, 2021
- Full Spectrum Cannabis Products Industry Expected To Remain Robust Through 2027 - PRNewswire - April 11th, 2021
- SMPLSTC Reveals 3 New CBD Tinctures - PR Web - March 31st, 2021
- Hemp Oil Market Future Growth Prospect, Industry Report And Growing Demand Analysis Till 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - March 31st, 2021
- CBD Oil Market 2021 is Showing Impressive Growth by 2029 | Industry Trends, Share, Size, Top Key Players Analysis and Forecast Research KSU | The... - March 31st, 2021
- CBD for Alzheimer's? The Cannabidiol Craze Makes Its Way Into Research - Being Patient - March 31st, 2021
- Global CBD Oil Market Manufacturers, Technology, Segmentation and Development Trends Forecasts to 2025 SoccerNurds - SoccerNurds - March 31st, 2021
- Heres Why Everybody Is Trying CBD Body Wash - SF Weekly - March 31st, 2021
- Europe CBD Oil Market Major factor driving the growth of this market is the medical advantages of CBD oil | DBMR The Courier - The Courier - March 31st, 2021
- Canna Comforts continues to expand with its focus on Hemp CBD products that heal - PR Web - March 31st, 2021
- US hemp oil Market: Current Market Scenario And Industry Forecasts 2021-2027|| Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the... - March 31st, 2021