While fitness tech has been one of the fastest-growing sectors in the world since 2016, the pandemic might just have triggered the sharpest growth in the industry yet. In the months before the pandemic, fitness enthusiasts were starting to team their wearables with at-home fitness and outdoor workouts like cross-functional training, kickboxing, piloxing, and a variety of other new ideas.
Fitness providers were also beginning to identify the demand for virtual training and recognise the potential of online services. The pandemic and resulting lockdowns pushed both to quickly embrace these technology-driven alternatives, giving rise to an era of technology-driven fitness in India.
In 2021, as the pandemic wears away, technology will unlock ways for the industry to boost both its online and offline offerings. Here are some of the trends that will become more prominent in the months to come:
Wearables were the top trend of 2020 and will likely maintain their hold on the fitness sector in the coming year if not emerge stronger. This trend stems from precise health information these devices collect, allowing fitness seekers to design their workouts to address specific concerns and meet carefully identified goals.
With the increased focus on at-home fitness, users will team their virtual workouts with a range of devices, including fitness trackers, smartwatches, heart rate monitors, and GPS trackers. Furthermore, the advent of smart clothing like vibrating leggings and biometric shirts shows that innovation in the fitness wearables space has only just begun.
The focus will also be on data collected from fitness wearables that, coupled with artificial intelligence, opens a range of possibilities for the industry. Considering that wearable apps have already permeated through almost all verticals of the fitness industry, the future will likely see a growth in data-driven holistic workouts, highly personalised coaching, and Virtual Reality sports and training programmes. AI-based solutions are also likely to find greater adoption in 2021.
Fitness apps integrated with AI and machine learning, for example, can now provide virtual assistants who, much like human trainers, educate people on correct postures and provide efficient one-on-one feedback.
Similarly, AI-powered intelligent footwear and yoga suits can monitor movements and alert users on incorrect postures. Fitness apps are also innovating with artificial intelligence consistently to create products like smart assistants for gyms and studios or diet planners that account for individual calorie requirements based on user lifestyle.
The concept of virtual fitness is now well past being just a method to traverse the challenges presented by COVID-19, and has established itself as one of the top emerging trends of the post-COVID world. It is attracting both sports and fitness fans, for whom the market now has abundant mobile apps and social media channels that provide on-demand libraries of virtual workouts and even remote coaching services. Patrons are also reaching out to their gym chains and boutique studios to provide virtual fitness options.
For fitness enthusiasts, the trend opens the possibility to plan training programmes, monitoring, and even inspiring to stay fit at their pace and for a lower cost. Virtual options are, hence, likely to gain ground among budding fitness fans as they work on gaining confidence and knowledge.
Furthermore, the industry expects that people who have adapted to digital workouts and online fitness classes will stick to their newly-formed habits, which are saving their resources, the time spent on workout preparation, and related travel.
One-on-one training motivates users to exercise regularly, both at home and the gym, and allows them to track the progress from each session precisely. Similarly, trainers can also review the trainees progress, and make recommendations in a highly personalised manner, making the whole process incredibly fruitful.
It is no surprise, then, that 2020 saw fitness enthusiasts make extensive investments in at-home exercise equipment. In a recent study, McKinsey noted a 12 percent increase in at-home exercising in the US.
The trend is also prominent in India and is highly likely to become more popular as the countrys fitness demands continue to rise steadily. As a result, at-home gyms will be the new normal of the post-COVID world and emerge as a significant trend in the coming year. Industry experts expect this trend to drive a sharp spike in demand for highly-trained fitness specialists who implement a holistic approach to wellness, and are capable of coaching users remotely.
In 2021, gym chains and boutique studios will adopt technology faster to boost their services with modern equipment. Leveraging smart, cloud-based technologies, these intelligent fitness products will help gym owners and trainers improve member performance and enhance their workout experience by combining their expertise with real-time data.
Technology will also provide solutions for hygiene concerns that have stemmed from the pandemic. For example, some fitness providers have begun using contactless or low-touch check-ins, facial recognition-based attendance tracking, and touchless payment options thus minimising the physical contact environment.
These solutions will not only help fitness entrepreneurs to bolster their digital presence at a time when online fitness is fast emerging as a lucrative growth area, but also improve communication and services delivered to the end-customer.
This year will create a new benchmark in the role played by technology in the fitness industry. Beyond wearable accessories, AI-powered tech solutions will revolutionise how users approach fitness and significantly personalise services on offer, including workouts, virtual reality gamification, diet management, and even selection processes for coaches and training programems. This digital leap is unlikely to stifle as the pandemic fears ebb, and will play the primary role in defining fitness trends for years to come.
(Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of YourStory.)
Read more from the original source:
- Global Automotive In-Cabin 3D Sensing Technology Market Report 2021: Market Penetration for Level 2 Cars and Expected Market Penetration for Level 3... - March 3rd, 2021
- Security Technology Strategies at the Core of Business Operations - SecurityInfoWatch - March 3rd, 2021
- CoSN2021: Technology in the Classroom Promotes Equity in Education - EdTech Magazine: Focus on K-12 - March 3rd, 2021
- Lumen Technologies to present at the Morgan Stanley 2021 Technology, Media and Telecom Conference - The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel - March 3rd, 2021
- Here's the Technology Government Needs in 2021 - Government Technology - March 3rd, 2021
- How criminal investigations have evolved along with technology - THV11.com KTHV - March 3rd, 2021
- Chatbots that resurrect the dead: legal experts weigh in on disturbing technology - The Next Web - March 3rd, 2021
- How technology can help us achieve at least 30% ocean protection (commentary) - Mongabay.com - March 3rd, 2021
- Recovering from the SolarWinds hack could take 18 months - MIT Technology Review - March 3rd, 2021
- Leading facial recognition technology provider Corsight AI announces expansion into the Asia Pacific region - PR Newswire India - March 3rd, 2021
- Microchip Technology Announces Changes to Its Board of Directors - GlobeNewswire - March 3rd, 2021
- Parallel Flight Technologies to Participate in the Federal Aviation Administration's BEYOND Program - PRNewswire - March 3rd, 2021
- Bryce Space and Technology Rebrands to BryceTech - Via Satellite - March 3rd, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Technology Solutions Announces Executive Team Expansion - Business Wire - March 3rd, 2021
- Unifrax, Backed by Clearlake Capital, Announces Lithium Ion Battery Anode Technology Coming Early Next Year - Business Wire - March 3rd, 2021
- How beers and Vikings gave Bluetooth technology its name - Yahoo Finance Australia - March 3rd, 2021
- Exro Technologies Inc. - Integrity Statement from the CEO - Yahoo Finance - March 3rd, 2021
- Relivion Wearable Brain Neuromodulation Technology Cleared by FDA for the Treatment of Migraine - Business Wire - March 3rd, 2021
- China eyes next-generation chip technology to take on global rivals - The Japan Times - March 3rd, 2021
- Need a break from technology? Participate in a National Day of Unplugging scavenger hunt - SILive.com - March 3rd, 2021
- Horizon Technology Finance Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Financial Results - PRNewswire - March 3rd, 2021
- Gary Wojtaszek, Former CEO of $12 Billion Data Center Technology REIT CyrusOne, to Join Quantum Loophole Executive Board - Business Wire - March 3rd, 2021
- Elys Game Technology Comments on the Status of Legislation to Legalize Single Event Sports Betting in Canada - Business Wire - March 3rd, 2021
- U.S. to Impose Sweeping Rule Aimed at China Technology Threats - The Wall Street Journal - February 27th, 2021
- What Technology Would Catch Your Eye If You Won the Lottery? - Drovers Magazine - February 27th, 2021
- Technology Landscape, Trends and Opportunities in the Global Motion Sensor Market, 2021 Report - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2021
- Learning from history: How forward-thinking legal professionals approach technology - JD Supra - February 27th, 2021
- Farm-Tested Technology a Win for Grower and Startup - Agweb Powered by Farm Journal - February 27th, 2021
- Facebook is 'looking at' facial recognition technology for upcoming smart glasses, executive confirms - CNBC - February 27th, 2021
- Leveraging Technology to Manage Big Data in Antitrust - JD Supra - February 27th, 2021
- KULR Technology forms partnership with the CSA Group to develop a new battery safety standards - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - February 27th, 2021
- AMSE and Dept. of Energy partner to teach history of technology and science in Oak Ridge - WBIR.com - February 27th, 2021
- Camp Hill-based company to use partnership to develop technology platforms for client institutions - PennLive - February 27th, 2021
- Integrating nature with technology to strengthen climate adaptation - Daily Planet` - February 27th, 2021
- Proposals to meet global challenges in artificial intelligence and technology regulation - Brookings Institution - February 27th, 2021
- Is Technology Changing The Real Estate Industry? - BOSS Magazine - February 27th, 2021
- Engineering student's technology could revolutionize the use of drones - University of Miami - University of Miami - February 27th, 2021
- Ideas, technology and a fire in the gut fuel young entrepreneurs - Jacksonville Daily Record - February 27th, 2021
- Technology and Art of Light in the Spotlight: Artists from around the World Gather at Shenzhen International Light Art Forum - PRNewswire - February 27th, 2021
- Chevron launches $300 million fund to focus on low-carbon technology - Reuters - February 27th, 2021
- Sweden's KTH Royal Institute of Technology Selects Hewlett Packard Enterprise to Build New Supercomputer to Advance Academic and Industrial Research -... - February 27th, 2021
- 10 Information Technology Stocks With Unusual Options Alerts In Today's Session - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2021
- Dots and Bridges Launches New YouTube Channel to the Highlight the Technology, Humanity and Culture Intersection - Business Wire - February 27th, 2021
- Desert Storm attack pilot integrates 30-years of tactics with new technology - Robins Rev Up - February 27th, 2021
- The Pellicano Hotels Group Selects Lybra as a Preferred Technology Partner, Implementing Lybra's Assistant RMS in all 3 of Their Luxury Properties in... - February 27th, 2021
- Is It Time To Consider Buying Amkor Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMKR)? - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2021
- 10 Breakthrough Technologies 2021 - MIT Technology Review - February 25th, 2021
- New Year, New Technology Priorities - Ward and Smith, PA - February 25th, 2021
- Technology and Innovation Report 2021 - UNCTAD - February 25th, 2021
- Wearable Technology Market Expected to Exceed $74 Billion By 2026 As Wellness Craze Kicks into High Gear - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- OneConnect Financial Technology and Singapore Exchange collaborate to address the region's ESG reporting needs - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- GRAPHISOFT Empowers Mission of 400 Forward as Official Software and Technology Partner - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- Taking future wireless technology from science fiction to scientific reality - Penn State News - February 25th, 2021
- CRN Names BetterWorld Technology to 2021 MSP 500 List in the Pioneer 250 Category - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- GSCW chat recap: Naeem Zafar on using technology to feed the world - FreightWaves - February 25th, 2021
- What Old Technology Do You Think Is Cool? - The New York Times - February 25th, 2021
- New brain scan technology hopes to help people recover from addiction - WBIR.com - February 25th, 2021
- How Technology Will Fuel the COVID-19 Vaccine Administration - Healthcare IT News - February 25th, 2021
- Rackspace Technology Named Cloudflare Worldwide MSP Partner of the Year - GlobeNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- Lattice and Future Electronics Collaborate on Virtual Technology Sessions for Machine Learning/AI, Embedded Vision, and Secure System Control -... - February 25th, 2021
- Baldwin-Whitehall's Peretin named Technology Administrator of the Year - TribLIVE - February 25th, 2021
- Christian Poellabauer appointed to lead new Applied Analytics and Emerging Technology Lab at Notre Dame - ND Newswire - February 25th, 2021
- The 6th Wave of Advertising Technology: Privacy - AdExchanger - February 25th, 2021
- Global Hydrogen Aircraft Market and Technology Forecast to 2029 - Featuring BAE Systems, Bell Helicopter and Boeing Among Others -... - February 25th, 2021
- Northern Refrigerated Transportation Adds SmartDrive Video-Based Safety to Technology Suite - Business Wire - February 25th, 2021
- How Nanoemulsion Technology Is Drastically Affecting the Food & Beverage Industry - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- AI could have profound effect on way GCHQ works, says director - The Guardian - February 25th, 2021
- Analog Devices, University of Limerick and Stripe Collaborate to Leverage Software Technology for the Transformation of Engineering Education -... - February 25th, 2021
- Adhesive Tapes Market Research Report by Resin Type, by Technology, by Backing Material, by Category, by End-use Industry - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - February 25th, 2021
- NUBURU Establishes Advisory Board of Seasoned Technology Experts - Business Wire - February 25th, 2021
- Joby Aviation to List on NYSE Through Merger With Reinvent Technology Partners - Business Wire - February 25th, 2021
- The U.S. Needs a Federal Department of Science and Technology - Scientific American - February 21st, 2021
- Treasure hunting with technology add geocaching to your outdoor activities during COVID-19 - ABC27 - February 21st, 2021
- AIM Institute Offers Free Introduction to Technology Course to Demystify IT - kneb.com - February 21st, 2021
- SAG-AFTRA Leaders Explore Promises & Threats Of New Technologies And Their Impact On Residuals Labor Innovation & Technology Summit -... - February 21st, 2021
- Mobilaris & Lule University of Technology working together to improve AI-based positioning in mining - International Mining - February 21st, 2021
- Apple is already working on developing 6G wireless technology - Ars Technica - February 21st, 2021
- Local buses equipped with technology said to remove 99.9% of COVID-19 from air - WTAE Pittsburgh - February 21st, 2021
- Why Osprey Technology Acquisition Stock Popped Again Today - Motley Fool - February 21st, 2021
- Meet College of Health Sciences and Technology Dean Yong 'Tai' Wang - RIT University News Services - February 21st, 2021