It typically takes 21 days to build a new habit. Today is January 26th. How are you doing on new year resolutions?!
If you feel you need help formulating resolutions that stick, I highly suggest you pick up a copy of Master Your Code by Darren Gold. The book explores the art and science of a successful life and it is a breakthrough guide thats deeply rooted in science, peppered with personal stories.
The book is structured like a guide, but it will feel more like an autobiographical novel. Thats intended: it was born out of the authors need to explain to his son how he recoded his life.
It typically takes 21 days to build a new habit. Today is January 26th. How are you doing on new year resolutions?!
First Principle: You Run The Code. The Code Doesnt Run You.
The foundational premise behind Golds rules for rebooting your life is that humans are in control of their own code. By code, Darren refers to our psyche, the conscious and unconscious habits that run our lives. In two words: our Operating System (OS).
Darren believes that its up to each of us to harness the opportunity to continuously update or upgrade our OS. Just like a phone or computer gets upgrades to handle new conditions, the Human OS can be upgraded to better handle the situations of its time.
How many of us are taking the necessary steps to fix and upgrade our operating system? How many of us react to situations because thats how weve always reacted in the past? How many times have you caught yourself exhibiting less than excellent behavior and excuse it as a habit caused by factors you cant control?
One of my favorite quotes in this book is Victor Frankls: Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.
Just like a phone or computer gets upgrades to handle new conditions, the Human OS can be upgraded to better handle the situations of its time.
By the time youre done with chapter one, Gold will have proven that humans are not simply the product of their evolutions but rather they have tools to master their lives and emotions. One such tool is how we define and control our environment and, by extension, the environment and reactions of others.
Even better: as you continue reading, youll learn that science proves that our code is not only very malleable but that its development accelerates each time we upgrade it.
This level of awareness will help you get better, but it will also help you to help others get better. This is when your lifes leadership opportunities come into play.
Let Your Faith Be Bigger Than Your Fears
Im a big fan of Bren Browns work. If you havent picked up her books yet, simply watch her talk on vulnerability here. She explains that the lack of psychological safety is the key reason for why teams fail.
Getty Images for Massachusetts Conference for Women 2019
Teams fail when individuals cant confess the truth without fearing consequences. Teams fail when their leaders are unable to foster psychological safety. This creates dysfunctional behaviors that science explains as survival strategies.
But, in reality, as Gold explains, these behaviors inhibit the potential of teams and their members. When people cant trust each other, they lie by omission. They mask the truth. They rarely do so because they are bad people. They do so because they want to protect themselves.
The good news is that science validates this. As Gold writes: your psyche has been designed for the protection and survival of your ego. That design has served you well. But it will soon reach the limits of its effectiveness.
Teams fail when individuals cant confess the truth without fearing consequences. Teams fail when their leaders are unable to foster psychological safety.
The solution? Science again: to reverse the deficiencies of our codes early wiring, take the Adverse Childhood Experience (ACE) test. Want to find out more about this? Watch Dr. Velitti, one of the doctors who was involved in the study related to this test below: How Childhood Trauma Can Make You a Sick Adult.
Net-Net Though: if you want to be the master of your code, you need to be the master of your past. Take the test.
May The Force Be With You
Only when youve embraced the reality that you control your code and that you can change it, can you move to the next step of your evolution: changing your future.
When I asked Darren what leadership was, he said something that I think should be on everyones desk: Leadership is the ability to create a future for people to live into such that the actions they take will be consistent with the realization of that future.
On the way to realizing your teams full potential, you will have to define your future clearly. You will have to help them face their fears. You will have to create psychological safety.
Leadership is the ability to create a future for people to live into such that the actions they take will be consistent with the realization of that future.
But, as Gold explains: the fact that you model these behaviors does not guarantee that others will value them and mirror them. You will have to take unconditional responsibility for your success. Despite the past. Despite the future. Despite the actions of others. This took me a while to internalize. In fact, I had to re-read that chapter multiple times.
If you dont think the above is enough, there is more! The book also covers what you might call good habits, such as 6 rules for living purposely, never stop learning and forgiving unconditionally (I particularly struggle with this last one).
Dont have time to get the book? Just listen to one of Golds latest podcast interviews here.
And may this help you make 2020 your best year ever.
Read more here:
- Cryonics, brain preservation and the weird science of cheating death - CNET - July 6th, 2020
- Nano One update: progress on battery technology - The Armchair Trader - July 6th, 2020
- Highland Copper Announces Further Extension of White Pine Closing - GlobeNewswire - July 6th, 2020
- Registry is an arm of the Court and an extension of its dignity, says SC - The Leaflet - July 6th, 2020
- Hacking the Apocalypse: Your new guide to surviving the end of the world - MSN Money - July 6th, 2020
- How to get rid of fruit flies in your house | AgriLife Today - AgriLife Today - July 6th, 2020
- 'Life in the old dog yet': Hackney Law Centre thanks donors as it celebrates 40th anniversary - Hackney Citizen - July 6th, 2020
- David and Victoria Beckham plan garden extension with 91 metre lake at their Great Tew home - Banbury Guardian - July 6th, 2020
- Controlled Intelligent Packaging, Preservation and Shelf-Life Extension Market 2020 | by Manufacturers | by Countries | by Types and by Applications |... - July 5th, 2020
- Extension offers online session to help ag producers and others manage stress - Nevada Today - July 5th, 2020
- North America Blueberry Extract Market is expected to expand at the highest CAGR By 2027 | Top Business Players: Life Extension, Mazza Innovation,... - July 5th, 2020
- Kitchens Across America Trust Eat Cleaner Fruit + Veggie Wash, Available This July in New Value Size to Give People Kitchen Confidence | 2020-07-02 |... - July 5th, 2020
- Bruce Power partners give thousands to local charities - BlackburnNews.com - July 5th, 2020
- Antioxidant Supplement, Market Study for 2020 to 2026 Providing Information on Key Players, Growth Drivers and Industry Challenges|Vibrant Health, AST... - July 5th, 2020
- New Survey Reveals 74 Percent of Americans are Concerned that Vitamins and Supplements are not Backed by Trustworthy Research - PRNewswire - June 13th, 2020
- Maintaining health and nutrition while staying at home - WSAW - June 13th, 2020
- Why a decision on a second US plutonium-pit-production factory should be delayed - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - June 13th, 2020
- The Role Of Nuclear Power In A Clean Energy System - Seeking Alpha - June 13th, 2020
- Six months to break the deadlock on life after Brexit - The Advocate - June 13th, 2020
- Nukes in Space: the Extinction Rebellion Yet to Be - CounterPunch.org - CounterPunch - June 13th, 2020
- Further extension to mother-and-baby homes inquiry - RTE.ie - June 13th, 2020
- Enel Awarded 106.3 MW in Italy in GSE's Second Auction - Saurenergy - June 5th, 2020
- Has the United States Abandoned Arms Control? - War on the Rocks - June 5th, 2020
- Aeris Resources to acquire producing gold mine from Evolution in transformational move - Proactive Investors Australia - June 5th, 2020
- Artax Biopharma Announces Series B Financing Extension to Advance First-in-Class Autoimmune Disease Therapy - P&T Community - June 5th, 2020
- Drivers granted automatic licence renewal extension - Farming Life - June 5th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Melatonine Market Research Report: Probable Key Development To Be Observed Market States And Outlook Across By 2026 - News Distinct - June 5th, 2020
- Reishi Mushroom Supplements Market 2020- Analysis And In-Depth Research On Market Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors And Forecast To 2026 - Weekly... - June 5th, 2020
- Tuskegee one of three HBCU land-grants awarded $1.6M USDA Centers of Excellence grant - Tuskegee University - June 5th, 2020
- Eye Health Supplements Market 2020 Growth by Opportunities, Application, Driver, Current Trends and Forecast by 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 1st, 2020
- The Dak Prescott extension: What have the Cowboys offered? Plus, where negotiations stand - The Dallas Morning News - June 1st, 2020
- Milk Thistle Health Tonic Market In Depth Research with Industry Driving Factors, Consumer Behaviour Analysis, Future Trends, Key Players and Forecast... - June 1st, 2020
- Explained: What RBIs extension of loan moratorium means - The Indian Express - June 1st, 2020
- How to stop earwigs and coreopsis beetles: Ask an expert - oregonlive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Orthopedic Extension Devices Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By Industry... - June 1st, 2020
- Goldstar Insurance and Prudential partner to offer COVID -19 cover - Uganda - June 1st, 2020
- Punjab Agricultural University gives warm send-off to Bhalla - Hindustan Times - June 1st, 2020
- Wife honors husband with continuing education center - Atlanta Journal Constitution - April 11th, 2020
- Letters To the Editor | Opinion - westvalleyview.com - April 11th, 2020
- The Military's E-6 Mercury Is Far Deadlier Than The F-35 Stealth Fighter - The National Interest - April 11th, 2020
- Extend New START -- The World Can't Afford a U.S.-Russia Nuclear Arms Race Too - Just Security - April 11th, 2020
- Brandon Scherff's excited to be in Washington, looking to be Redskin for life - Redskins Wire - April 11th, 2020
- "Life Won't Be Same Ever": Odisha First To Extend Lockdown Till April 30 - NDTV News - April 11th, 2020
- Get Growing: Good news, good riddance to gypsy moth caterpillars this year - The Recorder - April 11th, 2020
- Alkane Resources regional drilling south of TGO returns further broad, high-grade gold - Proactive Investors Australia - April 11th, 2020
- He gave so much of himself to improving life in Douglas: Tributes paid to Billy Coleman - Echo Live - April 11th, 2020
- WAIVER EXTENSION, REVISED TIMING OF ENFORCEMENT - pa.gov - March 24th, 2020
- The U.S. Military's Behind-the-Scenes Moves To Protect Nuclear Readiness Amid Coronavirus - Newsweek - March 24th, 2020
- Mine life extension puts Kisladag back on the map - Creamer Media's Mining Weekly - February 24th, 2020
- WVU aims to make an impact in everyday West Virginians' lives - WV News - February 24th, 2020
- Over the Garden Gate: Bees are native pollinators - Ellwood City Ledger - February 24th, 2020
- What is the real cost of a Richards Avenue extension? - Santa Fe New Mexican - February 24th, 2020
- New Gold updates Rainy River and New Afton mine plans - The Northern Miner - February 24th, 2020
- Responsible Battery Coalition Applauds University of Michigan Research on Lithium-Ion Battery Degradation Calls Research Important Step in Educating... - February 24th, 2020
- Bruce Power marks next step of major project collaboration with ATS in Cambridge - TheRecord.com - February 24th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of ELD.TO earnings conference call or presentation 21-Feb-20 4:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - February 24th, 2020
- Senate panel agrees adding time to safe haven for babies a good step - KSL.com - February 24th, 2020
- Swine building maintenance the topic of statewide workshops - Discover Muscatine - February 24th, 2020
- Stress it is not a sign of weakness | News, Sports, Jobs - Morning Journal News - February 24th, 2020
- Arcadis working with the Georgia Department of Transportation to improve traffic congestion - Benzinga - February 24th, 2020
- Life With GDPR: Episode 36- Extension of British Airways Response Time for Proposed Fine - JD Supra - February 8th, 2020
- Max Muncys extension helps the argument for new service time rules - Beyond the Box Score - February 8th, 2020
- Noah Rubin's Behind The Racquet With Robert Ryland | Tennis 10sBalls - 10sBalls - February 8th, 2020
- Satellites: The $500 billion business | Industry Trends - IBC365 - February 8th, 2020
- The many lives of charcoal - Penn: Office of University Communications - February 8th, 2020
- Space Mining the Quest for the Worlds First Trillionaire Amid Earths Growing Resource Scarcity - Wccftech - February 8th, 2020
- [The Turning Point] How a family car led to the idea of deep tech startup ION Energy - YourStory - February 8th, 2020
- Trump travel ban extension leaves Africans angry and disappointed - The Guardian - February 8th, 2020
- Los Angeles Lakers: Not trading for Andre Iguodala was the right move - Lake Show Life - February 8th, 2020
- The Ethics of Radical Life Extension | TalkDeath - January 27th, 2020
- Boldly Audition for These Sci-Fi Gigs in Honor of 'Star Trek: Picard' - Backstage - January 27th, 2020
- Watch: Kirk Cousins fumbles away comeback in Pro Bowl - Bring Me The News - January 27th, 2020
- Streetfighter and the future of the Challenger 2 - Army Technology - January 25th, 2020
- Iceni Courage to Be Revamped - Offshore WIND - January 25th, 2020
- The U.S. is Boosting Production of Nuclear Bomb Cores (For More Nuclear Weapons) - The National Interest Online - January 25th, 2020
- How Does the Air Force's F-16 Stack up Against the Best Chinese and Russian Fighters? - The National Interest Online - January 25th, 2020
- Race to exploit the worlds seabed set to wreak havoc on marine life - The Guardian - January 25th, 2020
- Rangers broadcasts to remain on 105.3 The Fan (KRLD-FM) after club signs multi-year extension - The Dallas Morning News - January 25th, 2020
- Pakistans judges briefly stand up to the army - The Economist - January 25th, 2020
- Merck-partnered biotech hands Roche its half-life extension tech as it pivots to immuno-oncology - Endpoints News - January 18th, 2020