Bitcoin has received a lot of attention from investors, especially over the past year, as the price of the cryptocurrency skyrocketed from around $8,000 at the beginning of 2020 to more than $40,000 as 2021 began.
But recently, theprice of bitcoin dropped suddenly, and the slide has once again ignited the debate over whether bitcoin is a viable alternative payment system or just a speculative investment. Whatever side of that argument you may fall on, there are many great companies that are far better long-term investments than bitcoin.
Read on to find out why three Motley Fool contributors believe thatFiverr International (NYSE:FVRR),Square(NYSE:SQ), and PayPal Holdings (NASDAQ:PYPL) have the potential to beat bitcoin.
Image source: Getty Images.
Danny Vena (Fiverr): One of the draws of bitcoin is no doubt the potential for a small investment to pay out big over time. Catching an investment early and riding it to untold riches has a certain appeal, but it rarely works out that way. That's why I believe investors should forget bitcoin and put their money to work in Fiverr International.
It seems that these days, everybody has a side hustle, a way to make a little money on the side. Then there are those who have broken away from the traditional workforce, opting instead for the freedom that comes from self-employment. The challenge for freelancers, however, is finding businesses with needs that match their skillsets. That's where Fiverr comes in.
The company provides one of the world's largest digital sales platforms that helps connect freelancers with these businesses, and does so for as little as $5 -- the reason for its moniker. Sellers (freelancers) post their talents and services (called gigs) in a growing list of 300 categories, allowing for businesses to shop their services. Fiverr acts as the escrow, holding the finds to ensure that both parties are satisfied, charging a 20% commission for its services as matchmaker. The pandemic accelerated the pace of the digital transformation, playing right to Fiverr's strengths.
Its position as gatekeeper and toll collector has been extremely lucrative for Fiverr. The company has generated revenue that's accelerated in each of previous four quarters. In the third quarter, revenue jumped 88% year over year, while Fiverr's net loss improved 95%, knocking on the door of profitability much sooner than investors had anticipated.
Activity on the platform is helping drive its financial results. Active buyers increased 37%, but perhaps more importantly, existing buyers are spending more. In fact, the average spend per buyer has climbed relentlessly, notching gains every single year all the way back to 2012, and has more than tripled during that time frame.
Future growth looks brighter than ever, as each cohort of buyers increases the company's foundation, with many becoming repeat users. In 2019, 58% of revenue came from existing buyers, with the remaining 42% coming from new users. The company is also courting enterprise clients with its Fiverr Business platform, helping match sellers with the big businesses that need their services. This move upmarket will help boost average spending per buyer even further.
The gig economy will only grow from here. Fiverr's management pegs the company's total addressable market at $115 billion and counting. With trailing-12-month revenue of just $100 million, Fiverr has plenty of worlds left to conquer.
Brian Withers (Square): If you are interested in profiting from the bitcoin trend, why not buy into the company that sold $1.6 billion of the cryptocurrency last quarter? Square and its popular Cash App allow users to buy and sell bitcoin, but this fintech has so much more to offer.
Square has two ecosystems: its original business centered around serving sellers, and Cash App, focused on serving individuals. The company started by selling a small square-shaped device that plugs into a mobile device to help sellers and small businesses collect payments. This ecosystem has expanded to support all aspects of running a small business, including payroll, customer engagement, and even setting up e-commerce websites. Last quarter, its seller ecosystem posted $965 million in revenue and $409 million in gross profit, up 5% and 12% year over year, respectively. The coronavirus has hampered growth in the last several quarters, but as vaccines get rolled out globally, small business activity should recover and this ecosystem will return to strong growth.
The Cash App ecosystem has been an incredible growth driver this year. Not only have gross profit gains been in the triple digits year over year, but they have accelerated over the last three quarters, reaching a jaw-dropping 212% growth last quarter. Cash App is popular because of its ability to buy bitcoin, but customers love many of its other features, too. Over 2.5 million customers have used Cash App to buy and sell stocks, and users carried more than $1.8 billion in cash in their accounts, up 180% year over year.
But this fintech is just getting started. With its seller ecosystem's addressable market of more than $100 billion annually and the Cash App market exceeding $60 billion, it's captured less than 3% and 2% of each market, respectively. There's a lot to like about this fintech: accelerating Cash App growth, a seller ecosystem that's set to bounce back when the economy picks up, and a popular bitcoin trading platform. Why just settle for buying bitcoin when you can buy into shares of this tech company with two strong ecosystems serving two massive addressable markets?
Chris Neiger (PayPal): If you're drawn to bitcoin because of its potential to disrupt traditional ways of buying and selling goods, then you may want to consider PayPal's bet on digital payments.
PayPal has long been a household name for online payments, but the company has continued to grow far beyond its original payment platform. For example, the company's Venmo app, which allows peer-to-peer payments, has become an important service for the company over the past few years.
Venmo can now be used to pay for goods and services at physical locations, and, if you're still interested in bitcoin, can be used to buy and sell cryptocurrencies as well.
Aside from Venmo's potential in digital payments, PayPal also recently partnered with CVS HealthandNike to allow PayPal users to make contactless payments with QR codes at physical stores. This move by PayPal blends digital payments with physical locations and is helping the company continue to expand how it generates sales through its platform.
In the most recent quarter, PayPal added an impressive 15.2 million net new active accounts, sales jumped 25%, and the company's earnings skyrocketed 121% from the year-ago quarter. And the company's management estimates that the company's full-year 2020 generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) earnings will be up 38% year over over.
The U.S. digital payments market will reach an estimated $2 trillion by 2025,and PayPal is already a clear leader in this space. For investors who are looking for a great investment in digital payments, PayPal's customer growth, solid earnings, and expansion into new services make it a more solid bet than guessing whether the price of bitcoin will rise or fall.
Go here to read the rest:
3 Stocks That Are Better Than Bitcoin - The Motley Fool
- GameStop and Bitcoin Renewed a Push to Digitize the Stock Market - The Wall Street Journal - April 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin exchange Kraken considers going public after record trading volumes in the first quarter - CNBC - April 9th, 2021
- At $60,000, Is Bitcoin Too Expensive? - Motley Fool - April 9th, 2021
- 'We've reached a tipping point' on bitcoin adoption, Fidelity's Tom Jessop says - MarketWatch - April 9th, 2021
- This Financial Advisor Thinks Bitcoin Could Be Headed for Mass Adoption - Motley Fool - April 9th, 2021
- Is there a future for bitcoin? An investor and a skeptic debate - The Verge - April 9th, 2021
- Fidelity Says Bitcoin Adoption Will Keep Accelerating 'We've Reached a Tipping Point' Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 9th, 2021
- The IRS wants to know all about your Bitcoin holdings --- and this court summons is a reminder - MarketWatch - April 9th, 2021
- Gold, Stocks, and Bitcoin: Weekly Overview April 8 - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2021
- BIGtoken to Host Webinar on Thursday, April 15, 2021 to Discuss Bitcoin 2021 and Beyond - Business Wire - April 9th, 2021
- Kevin OLeary says he will only buy bitcoin mined with clean energy, and none mined in China - CNBC - April 9th, 2021
- Ripple Granted Access to SEC Documents on Bitcoin, Ether in Ongoing XRP Fight - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2021
- Why the Market is Thinking About Bitcoin Differently - Visual Capitalist - April 9th, 2021
- Texas A&M Mays Innovation Research Center To Host Bitcoin Conference April 16-17 - Texas A&M University Today - April 9th, 2021
- Economist Says Bitcoin Isn't Too Big to Fail Warns BTC Can Only Establish Itself if Governments Allow It Regulation - Bitcoin News - April 9th, 2021
- More companies are accepting bitcoin, including PayPal and Xbox - Business Insider - April 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin And Crypto Market Smashes Through $2 Trillion As The Price Of Ethereum, Binance Coin, Litecoin And Ripples XRP Suddenly Soar - Forbes - April 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin: The Aperture Of Money - Bitcoin Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Chipotle is giving away burritos and Bitcoin. Heres how to play - WBTW - April 2nd, 2021
- Ether Rises to Record as Crypto Rally Broadens Beyond Bitcoin - Bloomberg - April 2nd, 2021
- Chipotle giving away $100,000 in free burritos and $100,000 in Bitcoin today - syracuse.com - April 2nd, 2021
- Will Bitcoin Ever Become Truly Mainstream? - Motley Fool - April 2nd, 2021
- CoinShares Partners With Canadas 3iQ to Launch New Bitcoin ETF on TSX - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- Could Bitcoin Solve The Oil Flaring Problem? - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- Irish Police Investigate Massive Bitcoin Scam That Allegedly Stole Millions From High-Net-Worth Individuals News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 2nd, 2021
- Why Is Ethereum Surging, Outperforming Bitcoin Today? - Benzinga - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin miners and fracking companies are working together - Quartz - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Unleashes The Sovereign Individual - Bitcoin Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH): Hows It Differ From Bitcoin and Whats It Worth? - Yahoo Finance - April 2nd, 2021
- BNY Mellon Report Compares Bitcoin and Gold, Study Says 'Gold Is the Only Globally Accepted Currency' Economics Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin's Got Talent crew talks Bitcoin culture and development on CoinGeek Weekly Livestream episode 8 - CoinGeek - April 2nd, 2021
- The Power of ETH and BCH: Smart Bitcoin Cash Project Highlights Innovative Sidechain Technology Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 2nd, 2021
- Bitcoin uses as much energy as Sweden and is on course to use even more - Business Insider - April 2nd, 2021
- A Crypto Exchange Weighs Going Public. Bitcoin Is Just That Hot. - Barron's - March 31st, 2021
- Cathie Wood On Bitcoin: '$1 Trillion Is Nothing Compared To Where This Will Ultimately Be' - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Marathon Digital Holdings to Launch the First North American-Based Bitcoin Mining Pool, Fully Compliant with U.S. Regulations - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2021
- Bitcoin for Babe Ruth? Sports auction house will accept crypto - Aljazeera.com - March 31st, 2021
- Bitcoin ETF Proposals: The SEC's Long History Of Rejections - Benzinga - March 31st, 2021
- Spanish Island Government Decides to Sell Its Bitcoin Investment by Citing 'Ethical' Reasons News Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - March 31st, 2021
- If History Is Any Indication, $200,000 Bitcoin Is Coming In 2021 - Bitcoin Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Here's When the Winklevoss Twins First Discovered Bitcoin - The Motley Fool - March 31st, 2021
- HashWatt.io - HashWatt Sustainable Bitcoin Mining and Captive ESG Energy Development Company announces completion of 2nd financing round to expand... - March 31st, 2021
- Bitcoin draws millions of workers sending their money abroad - Quartz Africa - March 31st, 2021
- Everything you need to know about bitcoin and the crypto revolution underway - MarketWatch - March 31st, 2021
- ARK Invest CEO Cathie Wood On Bitcoin: "$1 Trillion Is Nothing" - Bitcoin Magazine - March 31st, 2021
- Ray Dalio: The government 'outlawing bitcoin is a good probability' - CNBC - March 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin draws millions of workers sending their money abroad - Quartz - March 26th, 2021
- Jack Dorsey wants the entire world to know hes got a bitcoin clock - The Verge - March 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin options worth $6bn expiring today: What does it mean for investors? - Mint - March 26th, 2021
- One Ultra-Rare Metal Is Doing Much Better Than Bitcoin This Year - Bloomberg - March 26th, 2021
- Dalio on Bitcoin: 'Good Probability' It Will 'Outlawed' by US Gov - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin ETF The race to follow the trend - Mint - March 26th, 2021
- Bitcoin, crypto investors will be watching these 5 questions facing the Biden administration - MarketWatch - March 26th, 2021
- Guide: What is Bitcoin and how does it work? - CBBC Newsround - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin could surge to $300,000 but winter could last for years when the bubble bursts, says crypto entrepreneur - CNBC - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC) ETF: Fidelity Applies for Fund That Tracks the Cryptocurrency - Bloomberg - March 25th, 2021
- Wall Street banks diverge in views on bitcoin boom - Financial Times - March 25th, 2021
- Good probability the U.S. will outlaw bitcoin: Ray Dalio - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin volatility is here to stay, top technician warns - CNBC - March 25th, 2021
- Blockchain.com Raises $300 Million as Investors Find Other Ways Into Bitcoin - The Wall Street Journal - March 25th, 2021
- NYDIG Cuts Total Cost of Bitcoin Access to 0.30% - PRNewswire - March 25th, 2021
- Norway is the worlds most cashless country but its central bank isn't keen on bitcoin: 'It doesnt preserve stability' - CNBC - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin-Based DeFi Project Sovryn Near Agreement on $10M Investment From Pomp - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2021
- Mystery Whale Moves 20 Bitcoin Block Rewards from 2010, Entity Moved 10000 BTC Since Last Year Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoins, coming soon to an ATM near you? - CBS News - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin Is All the Rage, But DeFi Could Be Even Bigger - ETFdb.com - ETFdb.com - March 25th, 2021
- Bank Of America Calls Bitcoin 'Impractical,' And Crypto Community Has A Lot To Say About That - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2021
- Stock Market Today With Jim Cramer: Tesla and Bitcoin - TheStreet - March 25th, 2021
- Bitcoin, Tesla And GameStop: Ten Numbers That Sum Up The Fastest Market Recovery Ever - Forbes - March 25th, 2021
- 'Demand to surge': Expert's $70,000 Bitcoin prediction - Yahoo Finance Australia - February 12th, 2021
- Uber wont buy bitcoin with its cash but would consider accepting it as payment, CEO says - CNBC - February 12th, 2021
- Beyond Bitcoin: The wild world of altcoin cryptocurrency trading - CNET - February 12th, 2021
- Long-awaited bitcoin ETF could finally get approved this year, market analyst says - CNBC - February 12th, 2021
- Bitcoin outlook: the long term picture looks very sound - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2021
- Fintech giant Adyen says it has no interest in bitcoin as a payment method and clients aren't asking for it - CNBC - February 12th, 2021
- Dollar headed for weekly loss, bitcoin hits record $49,000 - CNBC - February 12th, 2021
- 7 public companies with exposure to bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2021
- Not Just Bitcoin, Paypal's Vision Involves Central Bank Digital Currencies Too: What You Need To Know - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2021
- The Grayscale Bitcoin Trust: What It Is and How It Works - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2021
- BlockFi Launches the BlockFi Bitcoin Trust - PRNewswire - PRNewswire - February 12th, 2021