The continuing U.S. trade imbroglio with Huawei is one example of ways China will prove to be the single most significant global business disruptive force in the coming decade, according to a new study released Monday by the non-partisan Information Technology and Innovation Foundation.
Relations between China and the U.S. and other western nations will prove to be more important than advances in seismic technologyin artificial intelligence or quantum computing, according to the authors of Competing with China: A strategic framework.
China looms as the single most significant business disruptor over the full course of the 2020even more than artificial intelligence and everything else going on in the digital world, they write. A rising China is now the leading edge of change.
Interesting read? Subscribe to FierceElectronics!
The electronics industry remains in flux as constant innovation fuels market trends. FierceElectronics subscribers rely on our suite of newsletters as their must-read source for the latest news, developments and predictions impacting their world. Sign up today to get electronics news and updates delivered to your inbox and read on the go.
The authors set out 20 steps that the U.S. and other nations of the West should take to win economic competition against China. Among them: provide direct financial grants and tax breaks to Western companies to reduce dependencies on Chinese technology and materials. Also: create government tax incentives for investments by U.S. and allied companies in R&D, skills and capital goods.
The study also takes a big-picture view, including expanding the market of competitors lined up to oppose China. That approach includes trade integration agreements between the U.S. and other nations in the Americas, a U.S.-India free trade and a U.S.-E.U. trade agreement.
Although China will eventually become the worlds biggest economy, it will still only be about 15% of the global GDP, the study adds. If large portions of the rest of the world are highly integrated economically, they will add up to far more than that. That means avoiding excessive nationalism and protectionism in much of the non-Chinese world.
The studys authors are David Moschella and Robert Atkinson. Atkinson founded ITIF, while Moschella heads the Leading Edge Forum and formerly headed up worldwide research at International Data Corporation.
They also take on China for oppression of Tibetans and Uighurs as well as crackdowns on Hong Kong but said a greater competitive mindset with the West and China is needed. Noting that China has lifted its nation from an impoverished status to a global superpower in less than 50 years, they add, perhaps China has something to teach the West as well.
In one lengthy discussion, the authors tackle the questions of how best to deal with Huawei, noting that Huawei is both a major customer for Intel, Broadcom and Qualcomm, but also is viewed as a national security risk by the U.S., the UK and Australia. The Huawei case has suddenly brought U.S./China tensions to a head, they write. Although its certainly possible that tensions will defuse, it increasingly looks like a win/lose economic struggle that will test which nation is stronger and which is likely to prevail insemiconductors, drugs and aerospace.
RELATED: Major semi trade groups blast Trump crackdown on Huawei
They also analyze eight economic sectors affected by Chinas economic disruption, from defense to banking and IT. For IT, they argue: Its no secret that China seeks to be both self-reliant and a global leader in AI, robotics, autonomous systems, drone, 5G/telecom, semiconductors, facial recognition, quantum, and other emerging areas. As these technologies will underpin just about every other industry sector, this is arguably the most important competition of all.
One of the authors 20 recommended steps calls for leveraging English as the countries speaking English will account for a greater GDP, especially as India modernizes. There is little chance that Chinese will rival or replace the global role of English for many decades, if ever, they write.
- Students harness the power of technology to address larger issues - Waterbury Republican American - January 3rd, 2021
- Banning Government Use of Face Recognition Technology: 2020 Year in Review - EFF - January 3rd, 2021
- As ice fishing gets easier because of technology, can fish withstand the onslaught? - Duluth News Tribune - January 3rd, 2021
- Technology may have helped us survive Covid-19, but at what cost? - CTech - January 3rd, 2021
- The Effects of Technology on Teens - Cat's Eye View - January 3rd, 2021
- 'Peak hype': why the driverless car revolution has stalled - The Guardian - January 3rd, 2021
- Five Microsoft technologies to watch in 2021 - ZDNet - January 3rd, 2021
- Birmingham CEO named in "100 Most Powerful Women In Technology 2020" - Bham Now - January 3rd, 2021
- Muslims and technology - DAWN.com - January 3rd, 2021
- The biggest technology failures of 2020 - MIT Technology Review - January 3rd, 2021
- Technology trends to thrive in the new normal - BusinessLine - January 3rd, 2021
- Harvard professor believes bizarre asteroid from 2017 was alien technology - SlashGear - January 3rd, 2021
- Irving-based Exela Technologies hires firm to help it explore strategic alternatives - The Dallas Morning News - January 3rd, 2021
- Century Technology Group leans on tech acquisitions to drive growth - MiBiz: West Michigan Business News - January 3rd, 2021
- Global Anti-Counterfeit Packaging Technologies Market (2020 to 2028) - Featuring 3M, Avery Dennison and Digimarc Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com... - January 3rd, 2021
- 5G Technologies and the Driverless Car - GlobeNewswire - January 3rd, 2021
- Inside the radical community near Kent without modern technology and where nobody is paid - Kent Live - January 3rd, 2021
- Technology In 2020: Big Tech Goes To Washington; Online Shopping Gets A Pandemic Boost - Here And Now - December 29th, 2020
- Quantum computers' power will remake competition in industries from technology to finance - MarketWatch - December 29th, 2020
- Alarm Bells Ringing On Education Technology - The Chattanoogan - December 29th, 2020
- Technology and Sustainability to Drive Recovery in the UK Facility Management Market - GlobeNewswire - December 29th, 2020
- Boomer's Blueprint: The technology physical - Accounting Today - December 29th, 2020
- How technology will help to shape the future of work in 2021 and beyond - The Star Online - December 29th, 2020
- Technology was a bright spot: Year in Review 2020 - Idaho Business Review - December 29th, 2020
- Tech platforms vowed to address racial equity: how have they fared? - The Guardian - December 29th, 2020
- Global Tissue Ablation Technologies Industry - GlobeNewswire - December 29th, 2020
- This technology could start saving lives tomorrow, but the Nationals won't let it happen - Sydney Morning Herald - December 29th, 2020
- Tackling unforeseen situations along with technological advancements - The Tribune India - December 29th, 2020
- Rebekah Jones named Forbes Technology Person of The Year - Florida Politics - December 29th, 2020
- Vaccines are the latest battleground for doctors on social media - MIT Technology Review - December 29th, 2020
- Top 10 Technology Analysts of 2020 - eWeek - December 29th, 2020
- 5 Ways To Build Trust In Cloud Technology We Saw In 2020 - Forbes - December 29th, 2020
- BRINK Explores the Technology Sector in 2020 BRINK News and Insights on Global Risk - BRINK - December 29th, 2020
- 10 Information Technology Stocks Showing Unusual Options Activity In Today's Session - Benzinga - December 29th, 2020
- Differentiated Lidar Technology Puts Luminar in the Spotlight - InvestorPlace - December 29th, 2020
- The global Green Technology and Sustainability market size to grow from USD 11.2 billion in 2020 to USD 36.6 billion by 2025, at a Compound Annual... - December 21st, 2020
- Technology that detects whisky's age is 'world first' - The Spirits Business - December 21st, 2020
- LocatorX Launches Lends-A-Hand Program and Women in Technology Group to Reflect Company Values and Mission - GlobeNewswire - December 21st, 2020
- Shenpu Technology (KIEYYUEL) Made a Stunning Appearance at the International Epidemic Prevention Exhibition - Business Wire - December 21st, 2020
- 2021 Supply Chain Technology Trends To Watch - Forbes - December 21st, 2020
- Understanding the Role of Technology in Today's Foodservice Equipment Marketplace - Total Food Service - December 21st, 2020
- Technology that went its own way in 2020 - Gearbrain - December 21st, 2020
- 2021 outlook: Here are the technologies, questions that'll matter - ZDNet - December 21st, 2020
- Group14 Technologies Powering Next Generation Of Batteries With $17M Series B - Crunchbase News - December 21st, 2020
- How the pandemic inspired creative uses of technology in 2020 - The Verge - December 21st, 2020
- Talking to the LTA innovator hoping to bring new technology to tennis - Tennis365 - December 21st, 2020
- Automotive Air Purifier Market Research Report by Technology, by Type, by Vehicle Class, by Distribution - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact... - December 21st, 2020
- VOTIS Subdermal Imaging Technologies And ii Ventures Announce Plans To Develop Preventative Medicine Devices To Screen For Peripheral Artery Disease... - December 21st, 2020
- 12 Emerging Technologies To Watch In 2021 - Yahoo Finance - December 21st, 2020
- These stocks are the best way to play the technology transformation mega trend, Jefferies says - CNBC - December 21st, 2020
- EPA awards grant to Marshall student team for technology project - Huntington Herald Dispatch - December 21st, 2020
- Wind generation sets another record in banner year for the technology - Current News - December 21st, 2020
- How the Massachusetts police reform bill would actually affect law enforcement use of facial recognition technology - Boston.com - December 21st, 2020
- Greenland Technologies Ramps to Over 800 Units in Monthly Sales of New Integrated Drive Train System for Electric Forklift Trucks - PRNewswire - December 21st, 2020
- Q BioMed Technology Partner Mannin Research Inc. Announced as Member of Canadian National COVID-19 Consortium - BioSpace - December 21st, 2020
- Technology will lead Iowa's business recovery - The Gazette - December 21st, 2020
- Polestar 2 greets winter solstice with advanced lighting technology - Automotive World - December 21st, 2020
- Turnover, Tiny Homes and New Technology: 2021 Predictions from 14 Home Care Executives - Home Health Care News - December 21st, 2020
- Defence technology in 2021: our predictions - Army Technology - December 21st, 2020
- Peijia Medical and HighLife Enter Into License and Technology Transfer Agreement for Transeptal Mitral Valve Replacement in Greater China - BioSpace - December 21st, 2020
- Asian security rests on forging closer U.S.-Japan science and technology cooperation - The Japan Times - December 21st, 2020
- Times Have Changed: Real Estate Event Highlights Reliance on Virtual Technology in a Shifting Environment - RisMedia.com - December 21st, 2020
- New technology will aid search and rescue around Caithness coast - JohnOGroat Journal - December 21st, 2020
- Peter Rhodes on naming a toadstool, harmless technology and why the truth is sometimes not obvious - expressandstar.com - December 21st, 2020
- Leading Technology Advisory Firm ISG Recognizes Unisys as Global Leader in Public Cloud Solutions and Services - PRNewswire - December 21st, 2020
- Leveraging new technology to source and secure carrier capacity - FreightWaves - December 19th, 2020
- Education Technology in 2020: 8 Takeaways From a Chaotic Year - Education Week - December 19th, 2020
- From caring for wildlife to using technology for water distribution, here are the top Social Stories for the w - YourStory - December 19th, 2020
- 12 Emerging Technologies To Watch In 2021 - Benzinga - December 19th, 2020
- The MOCVD Market 2020-2024- Featuring Advanced Micro-Fabrication Equipment Inc., Agnitron Technology Inc., AIXTRON AG, Among Others to Contribute to... - December 19th, 2020
- Introducing SP8CEVC: The World's First Space Technology and Human Longevity Focused Rolling Fund in Partnership with AngelList - PRNewswire - December 19th, 2020
- BioSig's Division NeuroClear Technologies Signs a Research Agreement with the University of Minnesota - GlobeNewswire - December 19th, 2020
- Waste Is A Design Flaw: Rubicon Taps Technology To Help Businesses And Governments Save Money And Go Zero-Waste - Forbes - December 19th, 2020
- Global STING Pathway Targeting Therapeutics and Technologies Market, 2020-2030 - Promising Leads are Anticipated to be Launched Over the Coming Decade... - December 19th, 2020
- Meet the 10 disruptive technologies vying to win UC's Startup Innovation Challenge - University of California - December 19th, 2020
- Webinar recording with Fervo Energy on key technologies to accelerate geothermal energy development - ThinkGeoEnergy - December 19th, 2020
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology disciplining professor with ties to disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein - MassLive.com - December 19th, 2020
- Using Automation Technology to Improve Facility Safety - EHS Today - December 19th, 2020
- Parsables Connected Worker Technology: The Human-Centric Manufacturing Revolution - Forbes - December 19th, 2020
- Growing Champions: Building digital success with women in technology in Malaysia - The Edge Markets MY - December 19th, 2020