Syracuse, N.Y. About 17,000 Onondaga County voters have a decision to make by Feb. 14, according to letters that went out in recent days:
They can keep their current enrollment status in the Green, Independence, Libertarian or Serve America Movement party. That means they can still vote in 2021, but only in the general election, not in primaries, elections officials say.
Or, these minor party members can chose to enroll in one of the four remaining parties on New Yorks ballot: Democratic, Republican, Conservative or Working Families.
Lastly, the voters can also choose to become a non-enrolled voter another category that means theyre not enrolled in any party and limits voting to general elections.
The options come after four of the six minor political parties in New York failed to get enough votes in 2020 to automatically qualify for a ballot spot this year.
In past years, the minor parties had to get 50,000 votes during a gubernatorial race to remain on the ballot.
But a change last year made securing that spot harder for the smaller political parties.
Now, minor parties must get 2% of the vote in a presidential or gubernatorial year. That threshold set last November was about 173,000 votes, according to the states certified election results.
These four parties fell well short of that in the Nov. 3 election in New York.
Statewide, just 60,234 Libertarians voted for Jo Jorgensen. Another 22,587 Independence members voted for Brock Pierce. The SAM party didnt run a presidential candidate.
And Green Party candidate Howie Hawkins, of Syracuse, got 32,753 votes in New York.
The ballot change doesnt mean the parties are going away.
Also, no voter registered in these parties will lose their ability to vote, Elections Commissioners Dustin Czarny and Michele Sardo said.
If they choose not to make a change, they will still be registered and the county will continue to track their current party status, Sardo said.
That could be important if the parties re-qualify for ballot status in 2022, the next gubernatorial race.
But going forward, these voters wont be allowed to vote in primaries in the other four parties, Sardo and Czarny said.
To be eligible to vote in 2021 primaries, the deadline to change your registration is Feb. 14.
Got a story idea or news tip youd like to share? Please contact me through email, Twitter, Facebook or at 315-470-2274.
The rest is here:
- Salter: The principles of '76: libertarianism and the Declaration of Independence - LubbockOnline.com - July 25th, 2021
- Living with Covid and extreme individualism - The Guardian - July 25th, 2021
- Bye-bye, bitcoin: It's time to ban cryptocurrencies | TheHill - The Hill - July 25th, 2021
- Man charged in Capitol riot investigation said Trump asked me to be here, documents show - KRON4 - July 25th, 2021
- Nancy Mace Called Herself a New Voice for the G.O.P. Then She Pivoted. - The New York Times - July 25th, 2021
- Major conservative group spotlights Sanders health care heist in new ad blitz - Fox News - July 25th, 2021
- Healthcare | Libertarian Party - July 23rd, 2021
- Faulconer Campaign in Dispute With State Over Title on Recall Ballot - NBC San Diego - July 23rd, 2021
- Social partitioning - The Nevada Independent - July 23rd, 2021
- Why a 19th-century Russian anarchist is relevant to the mask and vaccine debate - The Conversation US - July 23rd, 2021
- Viewpoint: If not the Municipal Auditorium, what could become the next City Hall? - Uptown Messenger - July 23rd, 2021
- Protest and Contest - Splice Today - July 23rd, 2021
- Here's Who's Running For CA Governor In The Upcoming Recall Election, So Far - LAist - July 18th, 2021
- Opinion: The parties to political irrelevance - Juneau Empire - July 18th, 2021
- The yoga and wellness worlds have a conspiracy problem - Vox.com - July 18th, 2021
- Conspiracy theories fuel French opposition to Covid-19 health pass - FRANCE 24 English - July 18th, 2021
- Conservative Radio Talk Show Host Larry Elder Officially In the Recall Race Against Newsom - Newsweek - July 14th, 2021
- LETTER: IRR not continuing the legacy of its founders - Business Day - July 14th, 2021
- Marginal Revolutionaries - by Jonah Goldberg - The Remnant - The Dispatch - July 14th, 2021
- Kentucky's Senators Have Long Differed On Afghanistan. Their Hunches Are Being Tested. - WUKY - July 14th, 2021
- After NYC, where will ranked-choice voting go next? - The Fulcrum - July 14th, 2021
- The stability of stablecoins is just another financial illusion - Mint - July 14th, 2021
- Schmidt; The real identity of liberty, and the Libertarian Party - Seguin Gazette-Enterprise - July 7th, 2021
- Libertarians of Mississippi to host rally on navigating politics - DeSoto Times-Tribune - July 7th, 2021
- One man's journey to the nexus of Libertarianism and Christianity - Shelbynews - July 7th, 2021
- Get ready for the Sept. 14 recall election - San Bernardino County Sun - July 7th, 2021
- Leo Morris column: Indiana - an independent state it its own way - The Herald Bulletin - July 7th, 2021
- Cryptocurrencies dream of escaping the global financial system is crumbling - The Guardian - July 7th, 2021
- Gov. DeSantis and the need for viewpoint diversity in higher education | Column - Tampa Bay Times - July 7th, 2021
- Letter: Writer doesn't know what the Tea Party was - INFORUM - July 7th, 2021
- With Capitalists Like These - Splice Today - July 7th, 2021
- Supreme Court to Hear Case on Government Aid to Religious Schools - The New York Times - July 2nd, 2021
- Rep. Kelly Sponsors Bill Seeking To End Non-Profits Funding Election Offices - ButlerRadio.com - Butler, PA - butlerradio.com - July 2nd, 2021
- Rep. Kelly, Members of the House Election Integrity Caucus Unveil Legislation to Keep Big Tech from Thumbing the Scales in US Elections - Mike Kelly - July 2nd, 2021
- How the Critical Race Theory Debate Misses the Mark - Reason - June 28th, 2021
- Stun and dismay follow Wyoming political espionage revelations - Oil City News - June 28th, 2021
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Based on relationship | Solve issues together - Arkansas Online - June 20th, 2021
- How the Houses Silicon Valley smackdown is dividing conservatives - POLITICO - June 20th, 2021
- Joe Biden's meeting with Putin, vaccine passports, nightclub shootings, and other top columns - USA TODAY - June 20th, 2021
- Louis Marinelli: Is Europe's interest in the 2014 Vrbetice Explosions driven by the Biden-Putin meeting? - PRNewswire - June 20th, 2021
- Anthony Bland affirms plan to run for governor - Arkansas Times - June 20th, 2021
- Why the Texas ACA Suit Was Always Destined to Fail (Even on a 6-3 Court) - Reason - June 20th, 2021
- Biden Likely to Patch Things Up With Putin at Summit - Libertarian Party - UrduPoint News - June 20th, 2021
- How the Right Is Dividing over the Nature of Power - National Review - June 15th, 2021
- Colorado legislation could mean up to $617 million in tax and fee increases, think tank says - The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel - June 15th, 2021
- Meet the Conservative Evangelicals Practicing 'Strategic Hibernation' in the American Northwest - ChristianityToday.com - June 15th, 2021
- Finance Colombia The Reason Foundation's Daniel Raisbeck On What Peru's Election Can Tell Us About Economic Liberty In Colombia & Latin America -... - June 15th, 2021
- You can't tell the Republicans from the Democrats in state Legislature - Gaston Gazette - June 11th, 2021
- Paul Krugman's 10-Year History of Being Wrong About Bitcoin - Reason - June 11th, 2021
- Rossi holds big lead in 59th Legislative District special election - TribDem.com - May 22nd, 2021
- A Top Rand Paul Donor Is Dropping Big Bucks to Elect Andrew Yang Mother Jones - Mother Jones - May 22nd, 2021
- Wingfield: Reagan's words on government programs still ring true - Savannah Morning News - May 22nd, 2021
- Georgia Lawmakers Grapple With Role Of Social Media Companies And Free Speech | 90.1 FM WABE - WABE 90.1 FM - May 22nd, 2021
- Will a Coalition of Hawks, Mormons, and Libertarian-Leaners Form a New Third Party? - Reason - May 18th, 2021
- Johnson the civil libertarian wants to have his voter ID card and eat it - MSN UK - May 18th, 2021
- Special interests flood the mayor's race as candidates race to the finish line - Politico - May 18th, 2021
- Matthew McConaughey is 'making calls' as he mulls a run for Texas governor - The Independent - May 18th, 2021
- 3 candidates vie to fill vacancy in 59th district special election - TribLIVE - May 14th, 2021
- Robb Luther to appear as Libertarian candidate on ballot for 59th District seat - latrobebulletinnews.com - May 14th, 2021
- Election roundup: Essaibi George gets the nod from Gross; Libertarians jump into council race - Universal Hub - May 14th, 2021
- The Rise of the Thielists - The New Yorker - May 14th, 2021
- Government accused of nutty nanny statism over junk food ad ban - Evening Standard - May 14th, 2021
- Hart: Biden and Carter are two peanuts in the same shell game - Chattanooga Times Free Press - May 14th, 2021
- LETTER: It's time to look for another party - Meadville Tribune - May 14th, 2021
- PURPLE IS THE NEW PARTY | What is a Republican today? - Ventura County Reporter - May 14th, 2021
- Top fiscal conservative group targeting Bidens infrastructure proposal with new campaign - Fox Business - May 14th, 2021
- Public records law that ignores reality will always fall short - The Nevada Independent - May 14th, 2021
- Covid, Liberty and Responsibility: Where's the Line? - Bloomberg - May 9th, 2021
- Judge: Arizona political parties don't have to be invited to extra election recounts - Your Valley - May 9th, 2021
- Why Trump is more likely to win in the GOP than to take his followers to a new third party - The Conversation US - May 9th, 2021
- Meet the Dream Team Suing the Biden Administration Over Your Right To Sell Your Kidney - Reason - May 9th, 2021
- The 'Post-Covid-19 World' Will Never Come. - Scoop.co.nz - May 9th, 2021
- The Red Flags in Biden's State of the Union Address - Reason - May 9th, 2021
- Letter to the editor: Thoughts on Charen, Biden, race relations, military - TribLIVE - May 1st, 2021
- Editorial: On women in office, we're still only getting there - Plattsburgh Press Republican - May 1st, 2021
- Top elections official admits fundraising error - The Herald - May 1st, 2021
- Bring civility back to politics -- and to life in general - darnews.com - May 1st, 2021
- McNeely: McConaughey for governor? | Opinion | news-journal.com - Longview News-Journal - April 29th, 2021
- Candidates seeking 48th Senatorial District seat put their differences on display - PennLive - April 23rd, 2021
- Pellerin: Don't flout COVID rules in the name of 'freedom' - London Free Press (Blogs) - April 21st, 2021