Technology stocks have historically led market rallies, and this year has been no exception. The Technology Select Sector SPDR Fund (NYSE: XLK) has advanced about 40% year-to-date, with stocks levered to remote work and study makingstrong upward moves.
As an unusual year draws to a close, here are12 key technologiescompiled by Lux Researchthat will likely be in the spotlight in 2021.
Autonomous Vehicles: Increasing levels of vehicle automation, especially Level 4 and 5 autonomous vehicles, will eventually remove the need for a driver in consumer and commercial vehicles, Lux Research said.
Investors can tap into emerging opportunities in areas such as sensors and connectivity for autonomous vehicles, the report said.
Some beneficiaries could be lidar solutionproviders such as Veoneer Inc (NYSE: VNE), ON Semiconductor Corp (NASDAQ: ON), NXP Semiconductors NV (NASDAQ: NXPI), Autoliv Inc. (NYSE: ALV), Texas Instruments Incorporated (NASDAQ: TXN) and NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA).
Natural Language Processing: This is the branch of artificial intelligencethat helps computers understand, interpret and manipulate human language.Patents related to this technology, which powers devices such as voice assistants, machine translationand chatbots, have increased at a compounded annual growth rate of 44% annually over the last five years, Lux Research said.
Some of the key players in the segment include Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL), Alphabet Inc(NASDAQ: GOOGL), Amazon.com, Inc.'s (NASDAQ: AMZN) AWS, Hewlett Packard Enterprise Co (NYSE: HPE), Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC), IBM(NYSE: IBM), Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT), Adobe Inc (NASDAQ: ADBE) and 3M Co (NYSE: MMM).
Plastic Recycling: This comprises of innovations that convert plastic waste into a variety of valuable products, serving the dual purpose of enabling a circular economy and avoiding pollution, Lux Research said.
In the last decade, 155 star-ups addressing plastic waste have been founded, the report said.
Stocks to play the trend include Loop Industries Inc (NASDAQ: LOOP).
AI-Enabled Sensors: AI techniques such as machine learning have provided methods to analyze and derive insight from sensor data, unlocking new sensor capabilities and applications, Lux Research said. Thisis being used in computer vision for analyzing image sensor data.
The firm also sees other sensor types such as mechanical, acoustic and even thermal sensors as being impacted by AI tools.
Bioinformatics: This is the application of computer technology to the understanding and effective use of biological and clinical data. Key applications of this technology include diagnostics, discovery, personalization, quality and optimization, risk assessment andsafety and traceability.
Roche Holdings AG Basel ADR Common Stock (OTC: RHHBY), Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc. Class A Common Stock (NYSE: BIO) and Irhythm Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: IRTC) are among the bioinformatics plays.
Green Hydrogen: This technology is focused on producing clean hydrogen for energy, mobility and industrial uses.
Plug Power Inc (NASDAQ: PLUG), Bloom Energy Corp (NYSE: BE) and TM Power plc (OTC: ITMPF) are green hydrogen stocks to capitalize on this emerging trend.
Shared Mobility: Shared mobility is an innovative transportation strategy that allowsusers to gain short-term access to transportation modes on an as-needed basis.
The includes various forms of carsharing, bikesharing, ridesharingand on-demand ride services.
Shared mobility, according to Lux Research, is poised to disrupt the multibillion-dollar auto industry.
"Self-driving cars, zero-emission vehicles, connectivity, and innovative materials are defining the future of mobility," the report said.
Ride-hailing companies such as Uber Technologies Inc (NYSE: UBER), and LYFT Inc (NASDAQ: LYFT), robotaxi services such as Google's Waymo, Amazon's Zoox, Baidu Inc's (NASDAQ: BIDU) Apollo and electric vehiclestocks are avenues of staying invested in this promising arena.
Related Link: How Technology, COVID-19 Are Changing Financial Planning
Alternate Proteins: Demand for alternative proteins have been on the rise, supported by factors such as consumer preferencesand supply and environmental concerns, according to Lux Research. Alternative proteins are sourced from plants, insects, fungi or through tissue culture to replace conventional animal-based protein. This trend should work in favor of plant meat companies such as Beyond Meat Inc (NASDAQ: BYND).
3D Printing: 3D printing is an additive process in which aan object is created by laying down successive layers of material.
It is used in industries such as automotive, aviation, construction, consumer productsand health care.
Some of the listed 3D companies are HP Inc (NYSE: HPQ), Proto Labs Inc (NYSE: PRLB), Materialise NV (NASDAQ: MTLS), Organovo Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: ONVO), Stratasys Ltd (NASDAQ: SSYS) and 3D Systems Corporation (NYSE: DDD).
Materials Informatics: It is a field of study that applies the principles of informatics to material science and engineering to better understand the use, selection, developmentand discovery of materials.
Precision Agriculture: It is an approach to farm management that uses information technology to ensure that crops and soil receive exactly what they need for optimum health and productivity with an objective of ensuring profitability, sustainability and protection of the environment.
Synthetic Biology: Synthetic Biology combines engineering principles and molecular biology techniques to produce novel biological solutions.
This multidisciplinary field brings together engineers and biologists, who are developing these solutions for useful purposes, across numerous areas including diagnostics, therapeutics, manufacturing and agriculture.
Twist Bioscience Corp (NASDAQ: TWST), Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO), Bristol-Myers Squibb Co (NYSE: BMY), Amyris Inc (NASDAQ: AMRS) and Codexis, Inc. (NASDAQ: CDXS) are among the companies that are working on this technology.
Related Link: Tech Industry Vets At engin sciences Use AI To Fix Cannabis's Big Problem
See more from Benzinga
2020 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
- Global Automotive In-Cabin 3D Sensing Technology Market Report 2021: Market Penetration for Level 2 Cars and Expected Market Penetration for Level 3... - March 3rd, 2021
- Security Technology Strategies at the Core of Business Operations - SecurityInfoWatch - March 3rd, 2021
- CoSN2021: Technology in the Classroom Promotes Equity in Education - EdTech Magazine: Focus on K-12 - March 3rd, 2021
- Lumen Technologies to present at the Morgan Stanley 2021 Technology, Media and Telecom Conference - The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel - March 3rd, 2021
- Here's the Technology Government Needs in 2021 - Government Technology - March 3rd, 2021
- How criminal investigations have evolved along with technology - THV11.com KTHV - March 3rd, 2021
- Chatbots that resurrect the dead: legal experts weigh in on disturbing technology - The Next Web - March 3rd, 2021
- How technology can help us achieve at least 30% ocean protection (commentary) - Mongabay.com - March 3rd, 2021
- Recovering from the SolarWinds hack could take 18 months - MIT Technology Review - March 3rd, 2021
- Leading facial recognition technology provider Corsight AI announces expansion into the Asia Pacific region - PR Newswire India - March 3rd, 2021
- Microchip Technology Announces Changes to Its Board of Directors - GlobeNewswire - March 3rd, 2021
- Parallel Flight Technologies to Participate in the Federal Aviation Administration's BEYOND Program - PRNewswire - March 3rd, 2021
- Bryce Space and Technology Rebrands to BryceTech - Via Satellite - March 3rd, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Technology Solutions Announces Executive Team Expansion - Business Wire - March 3rd, 2021
- Unifrax, Backed by Clearlake Capital, Announces Lithium Ion Battery Anode Technology Coming Early Next Year - Business Wire - March 3rd, 2021
- How beers and Vikings gave Bluetooth technology its name - Yahoo Finance Australia - March 3rd, 2021
- Exro Technologies Inc. - Integrity Statement from the CEO - Yahoo Finance - March 3rd, 2021
- Relivion Wearable Brain Neuromodulation Technology Cleared by FDA for the Treatment of Migraine - Business Wire - March 3rd, 2021
- China eyes next-generation chip technology to take on global rivals - The Japan Times - March 3rd, 2021
- Need a break from technology? Participate in a National Day of Unplugging scavenger hunt - SILive.com - March 3rd, 2021
- Horizon Technology Finance Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Financial Results - PRNewswire - March 3rd, 2021
- Gary Wojtaszek, Former CEO of $12 Billion Data Center Technology REIT CyrusOne, to Join Quantum Loophole Executive Board - Business Wire - March 3rd, 2021
- Elys Game Technology Comments on the Status of Legislation to Legalize Single Event Sports Betting in Canada - Business Wire - March 3rd, 2021
- U.S. to Impose Sweeping Rule Aimed at China Technology Threats - The Wall Street Journal - February 27th, 2021
- What Technology Would Catch Your Eye If You Won the Lottery? - Drovers Magazine - February 27th, 2021
- Technology Landscape, Trends and Opportunities in the Global Motion Sensor Market, 2021 Report - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2021
- Learning from history: How forward-thinking legal professionals approach technology - JD Supra - February 27th, 2021
- Farm-Tested Technology a Win for Grower and Startup - Agweb Powered by Farm Journal - February 27th, 2021
- Facebook is 'looking at' facial recognition technology for upcoming smart glasses, executive confirms - CNBC - February 27th, 2021
- Leveraging Technology to Manage Big Data in Antitrust - JD Supra - February 27th, 2021
- KULR Technology forms partnership with the CSA Group to develop a new battery safety standards - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - February 27th, 2021
- AMSE and Dept. of Energy partner to teach history of technology and science in Oak Ridge - WBIR.com - February 27th, 2021
- Camp Hill-based company to use partnership to develop technology platforms for client institutions - PennLive - February 27th, 2021
- Integrating nature with technology to strengthen climate adaptation - Daily Planet` - February 27th, 2021
- Proposals to meet global challenges in artificial intelligence and technology regulation - Brookings Institution - February 27th, 2021
- Is Technology Changing The Real Estate Industry? - BOSS Magazine - February 27th, 2021
- Engineering student's technology could revolutionize the use of drones - University of Miami - University of Miami - February 27th, 2021
- Ideas, technology and a fire in the gut fuel young entrepreneurs - Jacksonville Daily Record - February 27th, 2021
- Technology and Art of Light in the Spotlight: Artists from around the World Gather at Shenzhen International Light Art Forum - PRNewswire - February 27th, 2021
- Chevron launches $300 million fund to focus on low-carbon technology - Reuters - February 27th, 2021
- Sweden's KTH Royal Institute of Technology Selects Hewlett Packard Enterprise to Build New Supercomputer to Advance Academic and Industrial Research -... - February 27th, 2021
- 10 Information Technology Stocks With Unusual Options Alerts In Today's Session - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2021
- Dots and Bridges Launches New YouTube Channel to the Highlight the Technology, Humanity and Culture Intersection - Business Wire - February 27th, 2021
- Desert Storm attack pilot integrates 30-years of tactics with new technology - Robins Rev Up - February 27th, 2021
- The Pellicano Hotels Group Selects Lybra as a Preferred Technology Partner, Implementing Lybra's Assistant RMS in all 3 of Their Luxury Properties in... - February 27th, 2021
- Is It Time To Consider Buying Amkor Technology, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMKR)? - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2021
- 10 Breakthrough Technologies 2021 - MIT Technology Review - February 25th, 2021
- New Year, New Technology Priorities - Ward and Smith, PA - February 25th, 2021
- Technology and Innovation Report 2021 - UNCTAD - February 25th, 2021
- Wearable Technology Market Expected to Exceed $74 Billion By 2026 As Wellness Craze Kicks into High Gear - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- OneConnect Financial Technology and Singapore Exchange collaborate to address the region's ESG reporting needs - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- GRAPHISOFT Empowers Mission of 400 Forward as Official Software and Technology Partner - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- Taking future wireless technology from science fiction to scientific reality - Penn State News - February 25th, 2021
- CRN Names BetterWorld Technology to 2021 MSP 500 List in the Pioneer 250 Category - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- GSCW chat recap: Naeem Zafar on using technology to feed the world - FreightWaves - February 25th, 2021
- What Old Technology Do You Think Is Cool? - The New York Times - February 25th, 2021
- New brain scan technology hopes to help people recover from addiction - WBIR.com - February 25th, 2021
- How Technology Will Fuel the COVID-19 Vaccine Administration - Healthcare IT News - February 25th, 2021
- Rackspace Technology Named Cloudflare Worldwide MSP Partner of the Year - GlobeNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- Lattice and Future Electronics Collaborate on Virtual Technology Sessions for Machine Learning/AI, Embedded Vision, and Secure System Control -... - February 25th, 2021
- Baldwin-Whitehall's Peretin named Technology Administrator of the Year - TribLIVE - February 25th, 2021
- Christian Poellabauer appointed to lead new Applied Analytics and Emerging Technology Lab at Notre Dame - ND Newswire - February 25th, 2021
- The 6th Wave of Advertising Technology: Privacy - AdExchanger - February 25th, 2021
- Global Hydrogen Aircraft Market and Technology Forecast to 2029 - Featuring BAE Systems, Bell Helicopter and Boeing Among Others -... - February 25th, 2021
- Northern Refrigerated Transportation Adds SmartDrive Video-Based Safety to Technology Suite - Business Wire - February 25th, 2021
- How Nanoemulsion Technology Is Drastically Affecting the Food & Beverage Industry - PRNewswire - February 25th, 2021
- AI could have profound effect on way GCHQ works, says director - The Guardian - February 25th, 2021
- Analog Devices, University of Limerick and Stripe Collaborate to Leverage Software Technology for the Transformation of Engineering Education -... - February 25th, 2021
- Adhesive Tapes Market Research Report by Resin Type, by Technology, by Backing Material, by Category, by End-use Industry - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - February 25th, 2021
- NUBURU Establishes Advisory Board of Seasoned Technology Experts - Business Wire - February 25th, 2021
- Joby Aviation to List on NYSE Through Merger With Reinvent Technology Partners - Business Wire - February 25th, 2021
- The U.S. Needs a Federal Department of Science and Technology - Scientific American - February 21st, 2021
- Treasure hunting with technology add geocaching to your outdoor activities during COVID-19 - ABC27 - February 21st, 2021
- AIM Institute Offers Free Introduction to Technology Course to Demystify IT - kneb.com - February 21st, 2021
- SAG-AFTRA Leaders Explore Promises & Threats Of New Technologies And Their Impact On Residuals Labor Innovation & Technology Summit -... - February 21st, 2021
- Mobilaris & Lule University of Technology working together to improve AI-based positioning in mining - International Mining - February 21st, 2021
- Apple is already working on developing 6G wireless technology - Ars Technica - February 21st, 2021
- Local buses equipped with technology said to remove 99.9% of COVID-19 from air - WTAE Pittsburgh - February 21st, 2021
- Why Osprey Technology Acquisition Stock Popped Again Today - Motley Fool - February 21st, 2021
- Meet College of Health Sciences and Technology Dean Yong 'Tai' Wang - RIT University News Services - February 21st, 2021